Gaming Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia)

When you get to the last chapter, put your volume up for all cutscenes. The music for one in particular will cause you to have your best gaming moment ever.

If you know, you know

The best thing about the game is that it forces you to experience the "West" from a non-Spaghetti Western perspective. The conditioning of consuming "Wild West" media from the vehicle of a semi-frantic film does no justice to the actual experience of the west for what it really was............A slow, vast, beautiful and dangerous world where the best parts of it exist in the quiet spaces between the spaced out occurences of conflict. If you're playing this and you're rushing main storyline stuff, it's because you're used to Spaghetti Western consumption and you likely think that's how the west was in it's outlaw days, but it wasn't.

So, my recommendation for anyone who wants something akin to what is a real roleplay of what someone like Arthur would have experienced, is to spread out the main quests significantly between long periods of side missions, random encounters, wildlife hunting, fishing, trading, etc.

I’m just doing the first bit now, the snow is annoying and I keep pressing the wrong buttons, but I’ll get there.

I’m just doing the first bit now, the snow is annoying and I keep pressing the wrong buttons, but I’ll get there.
Yeah, good attitude. It's a bit sluggish at the start, but once you get the option to free roam and explore it picks up dramatically.

Having finished it ages ago I remember it was odd for the start of the game but I can only remember it fondly. It's so unique.

It’s a bit of a slog, but it also makes it all the sweeter when you get out of the mountains and the map opens up :)

Yeah if you replay it, the first 2-3 hours is a slog.

First time round it felt slow but was fine as it was a new experience.

Luckily, very little of the game plays out in snow. As someone said above, it's not a great start to the game; a bit off-putting, even if it's a good cinematic experience. Just have to get through it!

You guys are making me have to give it another shot. I got into the free roam part but even then it didn't quite connect with me like i e. the Witcher 3 did. I'm now going thru God of War (first one still..I plan to pick up Ragnarok for PC as well) and got that Hairy Pothead game for cheap which seems ok and I'll probably finish it. Perhaps since I'm no longer a young one anymore I do better with games that hold my hand more I guess. It's less overwhelming and easier to pick back up considering I don't have consistent ability to play games like I used to (or have the attention span for it)

Finished Chapter 1, not done any story missions in chapter 2 yet, just riding around on my horse, until I fell off a cliff and it got injured and died as I had no idea about horse reviver. I googled how to revive a horse and ran to Valentine to buy some Horse Reviver, but I took so long to figure it out and what to buy, that when I got back to my horse, it was stood up. I assume it died, as the horse I went back to looked different.

Enjoying it so far. Just got to horseshoe Overlook and doing some wandering about trying to get a feel for the game a bit, and learn how to lasso, shoot properly and work out buttons and stuff.

People hate on the opening sequence in the game for being slow but I dunno man, I love that bit too. It has its own pacing for the stage / story it's trying to setup. Just love everything about this game.

People hate on the opening sequence in the game for being slow but I dunno man, I love that bit too. It has its own pacing for the stage / story it's trying to setup. Just love everything about this game.
I just didn't like the fact I couldn't run in the snow, so felt like it was taking forever to get to places.

Yeah if you replay it, the first 2-3 hours is a slog.

First time round it felt slow but was fine as it was a new experience.
I've started this game 3 times and never got further than about 3 hours before getting bored and giving up. Seems like I need to push on through

I've started this game 3 times and never got further than about 3 hours before getting bored and giving up. Seems like I need to push on through
It’s been like that on each subsequent play though for me. The first time was a great experience but the gameplay loop just isn’t fun enough for multiple playthroughs for me. I’m waiting for the 60fps patch to finally get to that next playthrough.

Since you haven’t finished it even once I’d definitely recommend pushing through but only if you like a great narrative and world.

This video shows exactly what keeps happening to me.

I was trying to sell some stuff to the Butcher in Valentine, but whenever I try to talk to anyone, I press the wrong button on shoot instead.

Clocked it back in 2018. Might be time to give it another playthrough...

Great game.

Me too. Recently reinstalled it for another go. Might play it as a bastard this time.

Playing it for the first time since two weeks. It’s amazing. Absolutely love the game.

Just done the "mission" where you take Lenny to the bar and get royally fecked up :lol:

Love that the L2 actions are all spelled wrong when you're drunk.

You keep saying this, but I'm playing through Cybertruck and, boy... that thing is rough as toast compared to RDR2.
At least it’s fun

RDR2 is a really good game. The writing, characters and world were all wonderful. I do maintain that rock stars gameplay both in GTA5 and RDR2 is ancient. It hurts the latter more becuase it’s a newer game (between the two). So I can see why someone lost interest early - I didn’t, I was hooked - but it’s not just “kiddos with no attention span” as the game has genuine flaws.

I don’t even understand the supposed issues with the gameplay. What’s so bad about it? I have absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Gameplay from 2000
In some ways maybe, in other ways it’s still better than anything released after. The physics for example are insane and for me factor into very satisfying combat even if the gunplay standalone isn’t incredible. The mission design feels abit older, but that’s not the only component of gameplay for me.

I don’t even understand the supposed issues with the gameplay. What’s so bad about it? I have absolutely no issues whatsoever.
I think it's probably bc it's not the get up and run around with your head cut off while defying all the laws of physics like gameplay that a Fortnite has. Kids be crazy.

So I'm deep into Chapter 2 now, I have just got to rescue Sean from Blackwater. I'm currently doing all sorts of daft side missions like catching legendary animals and finding dinosaur bones, and taking pictures (and killing) gunslingers.

If I complete Chapter 2, can I still do these?

Last edited:
I spent 3 hours the other day finding, tracking, and taming a White Arabian horse. I just couldn't do the taming part as the cnut hangs about in the trees and so I couldn't see which way to lean when he was trying to buck me. In the end I gave up.

I spent 3 hours the other day finding, tracking, and taming a White Arabian horse. I just couldn't do the taming part as the cnut hangs about in the trees and so I couldn't see which way to lean when he was trying to buck me. In the end I gave up.
And how's the game going?

Got the thing finally loading on my PC tonight. Was a bit of a battle had to verify the files as something was wrong but it's loading now. Looking forward to this.

Yeah, good attitude. It's a bit sluggish at the start, but once you get the option to free roam and explore it picks up dramatically.
Its weird, its seems like the perfect game to play on the portal when the kids are sleeping and wife is watching tv, but I lost interest as soon as the world opened up to me. I know I'll love it if I give it another shot but for some reason it was a bit too much to learn.

It's nice in its own way, but in terms of functioning as an introduction to the game, it's not ideal. Movement in the snow is really very different (and much more sluggish) from outside snow, and that's where you'll spend most of the rest of the game.
Sounds you like you should have kept your savegame each time; you'd have been 9 hours in by now! ;)
Its weird, its seems like the perfect game to play on the portal when the kids are sleeping and wife is watching tv, but I lost interest as soon as the world opened up to me. I know I'll love it if I give it another shot but for some reason it was a bit too much to learn.
I didn't have that with RDR2, but I'm feeling this with GTA5 now. I'm new to the game, and I find there's too much environment and too many options, and not enough that immediately draws me in. I found RDR2 much better for that. Outside those, the Mafia games are nice in terms of having a somewhat large world, but very focused gameplay: you can't actually do much in the world outside your missions. I have pretty limited time to spend on gaming, so I like that.

Great to hear man. Amazing game.
I've found the racist guy in Saint Denis who you can freely twat about with no repercussions from the law. I gave him a thump and he ran away. Went back and now when he sees me he runs away, so I obviously chase him and give him another thump. Great fun.