Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Lyng

At the point Juventus paid €75m for Vlahovic, he was 22 years old, having scored 20 in 24 that season and 21 in 40 the previous season. So that is a higher ratio of delivery to potential than Højlund’s 10 goals in 34 games at 20 years, clearly.

At 20 years, Vlahovic had a fairly similar background to Højlund, coming off a 8 goals in 34 games season, but nobody I’m aware of bid those sums for him at that point.

The idea that a 20 y.o. 1-in-4 striker will turn into a 1-in-2 and 3-in-4 striker given time, is of course conjecture, and sounds like a run of the mill emotive negotiation play from Atalanta.

I actually agree with that. But I also dont believe in the 80 million figures. We would have left the table if that was the case. (and we should if that was the case)

Seems a bit moot since Vlahovic hasn't really lived up to the billing since joining Juve. If anything they're creating their own argument for why United shouldn't pay that much.

Yes. It’s a simile that can strike several ways. The likenesses are superficial: both are about 1.90, both are young, promising strikers for middling countries with good football culture, both scored very few goals until breaking through at around 20. Oh, and most interesting trivia: Both switched clubs to a big rival at youth level (Brøndby-København, Crvena Zvezda-Partizan).

I actually agree with that. But I also dont believe in the 80 million figures. We would have left the table if that was the case. (and we should if that was the case)
Depends on how desperate we are. We have some examples of similar behaviour recently.

I would hate to see us paying well over the odds for the young man because if he doesn't hit the ground running the fans will get on his back and the price tag will weigh heavy on him....it will not be fair on him at this stage of his career.

What would Juve ask for him?
He was very good for Fiorentina but fact is both seasons at Juve he has put up numbers much lower. Which pretty much tells you that no signing (apart from the likes of Kane) are a sure thing.
Højlund has the style and strengths that match quite well with the type of striker Ten Hag wants. Will he be a success? Maybe, maybe not.
The one thing that is for certain is that going in to the new season with no real striker is suicide.
Tbh I don't mind if we have to overpay a bit for the lad. But trying to justify and call that a fair or good price is another story imo.

I suspect we are still investigating whether we can sign both Højlund and Kane. The noises coming out of spurs are favorable for us and we’ve seemingly already agreed terms with Højlund so things could be lining up.

I just think the main reason we’ve not formally submitted a bid to Atalanta is that setting a big fee for Højlund then sets a target price for Levy to negotiate on Kane if we do decide to approach spurs again.

It could also be a case of waiting to see how much we could raise from player sales. There are probably a number of moving parts to these transactions. I think a lot of the delays are to do with timing…

…or this could all be wishful thinking!

Not convinced by this kid at all. I'd say we should trust Ten Hag's judgement but then he thought Weghorst could do a job here.
ETH tends to get a lot of bashing for the Weghorst signing but the reality was his hands were tied with what was available. You don’t find top quality players available on loan, especially mid season.

I’m sure ETH would have preferred Felix over Weghorst but our owners were never going to approve the ridiculous loan fee for that move.

ETH probably looked at it and decided he could utilise Weghorst’s work rate and link up to allow the team to get the best out of Rashford which is effectively what happened.

Weghorst is an odd stick to beat ETH with. Ronaldo had left, Greenwood in the wilderness, Martial is perpetually injured. We literally would have had to play Mctominay next so in that sense Weghorst atleast provided a last-ditch option which was better.

Antony is the more questionable high value signing backed by ETH. But even he too early to be written off yet.

Example?

He's a 40-50 million pound player in today's market easily.
I dont know mate, he's got his flaws in general play, his goal scoring stats are bang average and he's had one season of football.

Example?

He's 20 mate. You pay for potential.

I mean last summer, at age 19, he got transferred for a whopping £15m. He hasn't really lit up the Serie A or anything since, he's joint 20th top scorer. Still seems pretty raw.

How has he, in your mind, tripled in value in a year? Did he not have that potential at 19?

I mean last summer at age 19 he got transferred for a whopping £15m. He hasn't really lit up the Serie A or anything since, he's joint 20th top scorer. Still seems pretty raw.

How has he, in your mind, tripled in value in a year? Did he not have that potential at 19?
Of course he’s out it up. I read his partnership up top is the third most prolific in the entire league.
You’ve got to ignore games and look at the actual minutes he’s played compared to the goals he’s scored.

Example?

Chelsea are already getting two strikers for no more than 70m combined, both with better records than Hojlund. PSG bought Ekitike for €35m, he also had a better record. Sesko was sold for €24m, yes it was for another Red Bull team but it's around the same price when they sold other forwards for different clubs.

He's only worth £40-50m if 20m of those are add-ons mostly related to the number of goals he would score.

I suspect we are still investigating whether we can sign both Højlund and Kane. The noises coming out of spurs are favorable for us and we’ve seemingly already agreed terms with Højlund so things could be lining up.

I just think the main reason we’ve not formally submitted a bid to Atalanta is that setting a big fee for Højlund then sets a target price for Levy to negotiate on Kane if we do decide to approach spurs again.

It could also be a case of waiting to see how much we could raise from player sales. There are probably a number of moving parts to these transactions. I think a lot of the delays are to do with timing…

…or this could all be wishful thinking!
The club are trying to keep the fee as low as possible for Rasmus so I don't think there is another 80mil in the kitty for Kane.
If there was we would just be buying Harry IMO.

Of course he’s out it up. I read his partnership up top is the third most prolific in the entire league.
You’ve got to ignore games and look at the actual minutes he’s played compared to the goals he’s scored.

Care to back this up with a source? Because the numbers don't add up and all I can find is something about calendar year 2022 (which only covers first half of 2022/23) and he's not even the in the strike partnership for Atalanta, who are 5th.

1u7GJAW.png

Last edited:
Care to back this up with anything? Because the numbers don't add up and all I can find is something about calendar year 2022 (which only covers first half of 2022/23) and he's not even the in the strike partnership for Atalanta, who are 5th.

1u7GJAW.png

Nearly all his league goals are in 2023. I don't know if the post you quoted is accurate but your table is out of context when it comes to Hojlund's season.

Care to back this up with anything? Because the numbers don't add up and all I can find is something about calendar year 2022 (which only covers first half of 2022/23) and he's not even the in the strike partnership for Atalanta, who are 5th.

1u7GJAW.png
There’s an interview with him on YouTube, it’s stated there on the Serie A channel

Chelsea are already getting two strikers for no more than 70m combined, both with better records than Hojlund. PSG bought Ekitike for €35m, he also had a better record. Sesko was sold for €24m, yes it was for another Red Bull team but it's around the same price when they sold other forwards for different clubs.

He's only worth £40-50m if 20m of those are add-ons mostly related to the number of goals he would score.
Agree. I'm also of the opinion his true value would be 30m. But again, don't mind if we overpay. He's tall and fast, that's pretty rare imo.

The club are trying to keep the fee as low as possible for Rasmus so I don't think there is another 80mil in the kitty for Kane.

If we were given the nod by spurs and it becomes a straight choice between the two (because we’ve not raised enough cash for both), I think you’re right that we’d likely just buy Kane.

There’s an interview with him on YouTube, it’s stated there on the Serie A channel

I found the interview. Here's a youtube link for those interested.

The partnership mentioned is with a familiar name, Ademola Lookman. Previously of Everton and Leicester (loan). Worth nothing that Lookman, who struggled to make an impact in the EPL, has much better numbers than Hojlund and is basically carrying the stats for the partnership while playing mostly as support striker.

13 goals and 8 assists in 1.731' for Lookman
9 goals and 4 assists in 1.832' for Hojlund.

I don't know about you. But for me that isn't lighting up the Serie A. Certainly not enough to quadruple his value in 10 months. Perhaps we can agree to disagree.

The partnership mentioned is with a familiar name, Ademola Lookman. Previously of Everton and Leicester (loan). Worth nothing that Lookman, who struggled to make an impact in the EPL, has much better numbers than Hojlund and is basically carrying the stats for the partnership while playing mostly as support striker.

I don't know about you. But for me that isn't lighting up the Serie A. Certainly not enough to quadruple his value in 10 months. Perhaps we can agree to disagree.

I have to disagree here. Rasmus is actually the striker forced to run into the channels on either flank and mostly setting up.

Who was the last Spurs player we bought? Berbatov, 15 years ago? Dealing with Levy is not easy and there's a reason we avoid this route.

I have to disagree here. Rasmus is actually the striker forced to run into the channels on either flank and mostly setting up.
Disclaimer here, I have not watched Atalanta myself. But if you watch his interview which I linked, he says himself that he plays mostly the classic hold-up #9 role while Lookman is the one dribbling and exploring space in the channels and providing the assists. Which also tallies up with Lookman having more than double assists per 90' than Hojlund.

He has 13 goals and assists in 20 games worth of minutes in Serie A.
You’ve set this bar of lighting up the league but you’ve just proven he can link up with lesser players and bring the best out of his attacking partner while having a big impact on his own. He isn’t some bollard up top, he’s able to be the 9 for a team who wants to play forward, attacking play.
Your stats aren’t proving what you think they’re proving

Not convinced by this kid at all. I'd say we should trust Ten Hag's judgement but then he thought Weghorst could do a job here.

He did a job, albeit one that didn’t involve scoring many goals.

As a collective though we still achieved what we were aiming for, and if it wasn’t for key injuries we prove would have done more.

He has 13 goals and assists in 20 games worth of minutes in Serie A.
You’ve set this bar of lighting up the league but you’ve just proven he can link up with lesser players and bring the best out of his attacking partner while having a big impact on his own. He isn’t some bollard up top, he’s able to be the 9 for a team who wants to play forward, attacking play.
Your stats aren’t proving what you think they’re proving

Even stats are subjective. I can also make the exact opposite claim using the same stats and in my opinion it's more correct than yours.

I set the bar for lighting up the Serie A because in my opinion that's what's required to quadruple a players value in 10 months. What would your bar be for such a dramatic increase in such a short time? And you yourself claimed that he did light it up, I didn't put those words in your mouth. I personally don't think he did.

You also just claimed he proved he can link up with lesser players, but it's hard to justify that between Lookman and him it's Lookman who is the lesser player here. It's again an opinion based on very little evidence. If anyone lit up the league in that duo, it looks like Lookman was the one.

Status
Not open for further replies.