2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

The Irish Connection

I think for his age he's had a decent first season, but we clearly need another striker.
To be honest I think we need a new front 3 but might not be doable. Guirassy for 15m would be smart.

RuudTom83

United aren't very good.

At this point in the season there is zero need to analyse him after every performance.

He turned 21 during the season, also his first season in England.

14G + 2A = decent first season.

El Jefe

We've got our Emile Heskey. Useless for much of the time but in the ten or so games a season he turns up for, he's pretty good.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Fair or not for the price we paid you expect top quality. He is trying hard but he is very raw and needs a lot of polishing. Still hope he will come good and of course support him.

GazTheLegend

He's fine, it's stupid to judge him as insanely harshly because he really shouldn't be leading the line for us at his age. It's on our recruitment / management that he is doing so. What other options have we got there? He's got brilliant potential in there and I think his brain is a level above some of our other footballers, but it's not easy to come into the premier league and hit the ground running. Next season we can begin to ask more questions, but our entire lineup has been a shitshow all season and it's not right that he carries the blame.

brother ant

Matches his xg. It's not like he's missing a load of chances and we can talk about his movement, which does need some work, but this team just doesn't create.
It doesn’t, but a top centre forward would have still worked the GK a few times today from the scraps Hojlund got. A couple of times a better touch or movement could have created more chances but Arsenal snuffed them out. A top centre forward would also help the overall team in the attacking 3rd.
Not saying Hojlund is terrible, he has some good attributes and at 21 is leading the line for Manchester United which will hopefully be invaluable experience to his development. Not many 21 years olds get that chance.

redNATION

Should’ve left him another season at Atalanta, his price wasn’t going to increase dramatically in a season, and signed someone like Jonathan David in the interim. But out transfer strategy makes no sense.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Should’ve left him another season at Atalanta, his price wasn’t going to increase dramatically in a season, and signed someone like Jonathan David in the interim. But out transfer strategy makes no sense.
Yep. He was basically a panic buy because there weren't any established players in the Kane mold available anymore. Combine his fee with the Mount buy, and they alone are easily grounds for ETH's dismissal.

Bwuk

He's anonymous far too often.

You could have had Wheatley start and it wouldn't have been any different.

arnie_ni

Willing to give him another year or 2 hopefully under a better system but we badly need competition

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Does need to improve massively. However the players need to pick him out more and use him to his strengths, a few times today he made runs where he’d have beaten their defence for pace but the wrong pass was made. It’s probably down to players not trusting him. Like I’ve said previously though, the team spirit is awful and I don’t think any of the players actually like each other, or they all have small groups who they do like.

DJ_21

I think for his age he's had a decent first season, but we clearly need another striker.
To be honest I think we need a new front 3 but might not be doable. Guirassy for 15m would be smart.
As would Olise for RW. At least he can create and score. He’s unpredictable aswell.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
One of our bigger priorities this summer will be replacing him with a centre forward that has the ability to offer tangible contribution to the team. Nobody is gonna build around him at this stage and his overall contribution to the team is minimal. I suspect he will have a far reduced role next season.

Bright_Eyes

Yep. He was basically a panic buy because there weren't any established players in the Kane mold available anymore. Combine his fee with the Mount buy, and they alone are easily grounds for ETH's dismissal.
ETH isn't responsible for negotiating transfer fees. He has a lot of grounds for dismissal but that would be a weird one to pin on him. Even if he might have pushed for those transfers (which we don't know) there are meant to be other people at the club who negotiate the fees and decide if it's too expensive. He should be sacked for not getting his team to perform, not for what we paid for them, or even for who we bought as that shouldn't be all down to him either.

The Irish Connection

As would Olise for RW. At least he can create and score. He’s unpredictable aswell.
Definitely. Olise for 55m ish in today’s market would be good business.
If I had unlimited funds I’d get Eze too. We need top caliber players in most positions. Let Højlund, Garnacho and Amad come off the bench and play cup games.

We need to start making smart recruitment decisions. Yes, Olise has an injury record but similar players like Palmer or Bowen would cost 100m plus.

DJ_21

Definitely. Olise for 55m ish in today’s market would be good business.
If I had unlimited funds I’d get Eze too. We need top caliber players in most positions. Let Højlund, Garnacho and Amad come off the bench and play cup games.

We need to start making smart recruitment decisions. Yes, Olise has an injury record but similar players like Palmer or Bowen would cost 100m plus.
When watching MOTD last might it mentioned that Olise has quite a few assist for Eze. So having both of their link up play would be a massive upgrade. Eze can actually play football and link up play, he’d be an upgrade in that regard over Bruno but he probably wouldn’t give us Bruno’s numbers.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
ETH isn't responsible for negotiating transfer fees. He has a lot of grounds for dismissal but that would be a weird one to pin on him. Even if he might have pushed for those transfers (which we don't know) there are meant to be other people at the club who negotiate the fees and decide if it's too expensive. He should be sacked for not getting his team to perform, not for what we paid for them, or even for who we bought as that shouldn't be all down to him either.
Its not just the fees themselves, but what we got in return for them. He specifically wanted these players which resulted in nothing in return beyond a free fall from 3rd to 8th in the table, and ultimately his own demise at United. No other clubs would've paid such farcically exorbitant fees for the likes of Hojlund, Mount, and Onana, and in the process expected to improve the club from the previous year. And yet here we are with the most losses in half a century.

Ceteris

If Rasmus was struggling in a well functioning team then I would be worried.

Look at how isolated he was when he got the ball in the arsenal box with his back to goal, this is where there should be another player making a run behind another one coming short for the layoff but there was no player in sight.

He needs to work on his touch and also control of his body, that's on him.

The manager has been very poor in setting up a team that plays for him or through him.

He still managed 14 goals this season

Red00012

He’s 21 with a handful of games played for Atalanta , what were you expecting? Absolute madness to expect him to lead the line for us with Martial as back up . 14 goals isn’t a bad return for an inexperienced player in his 1st season with the level of shite around him. Get a grip

Oranges038

Look at how isolated he was when he got the ball in the arsenal box with his back to goal, this is where there should be another player making a run behind another one coming short for the layoff but there was no player in sight.

The manager has been very poor in setting up a team that plays for him or through him.

As a centre forward it must be a nightmare to play with selfish players like Garnacho, Rashford and Antony on the flanks. You cannot make a move because you genuinely have no idea what the hell they are going to do. It's a similar setup to when SAF let RVN go when he had Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Saha etc. RVN would make his run for a cross (one that Beckham would find) but it wouldn't arrive, because Ronaldo or whoever it was would have checked back or decided to run to the byline.

That forward setup just didn't suit a centre forward of his skillset. It's the same with Hojlund now, these wingers who want to cut inside all the time are no good for a central presence like him.

If you look at his PL stats. I think he has 1/3 of Haaland's goals from 1/3 of the shots and chances. His conversion rate is actually quite good, he needs to be stronger and improve in his hold up and link up play. But his finishing and movement is better than he gets credit for.

But he's already been written off by many.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It doesn’t, but a top centre forward would have still worked the GK a few times today from the scraps Hojlund got. A couple of times a better touch or movement could have created more chances but Arsenal snuffed them out. A top centre forward would also help the overall team in the attacking 3rd.
Not saying Hojlund is terrible, he has some good attributes and at 21 is leading the line for Manchester United which will hopefully be invaluable experience to his development. Not many 21 years olds get that chance.
The slip aside I don't think there was too much opportunity for him to do much.
I don't think many are suggesting he's already a top striker, just writing the guy off at this point, in this team seems a bit much.

Vidooq

As a centre forward it must be a nightmare to play with selfish players like Garnacho, Rashford and Antony on the flanks. You cannot make a move because you genuinely have no idea what the hell they are going to do. It's a similar setup to when SAF let RVN go when he had Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Saha etc. RVN would make his run for a cross (one that Beckham would find) but it wouldn't arrive, because Ronaldo or whoever it was would have checked back or decided to run to the byline.

That forward setup just didn't suit a centre forward of his skillset. It's the same with Hojlund now, these wingers who want to cut inside all the time are no good for a central presence like him.

If you look at his PL stats. I think he has 1/3 of Haaland's goals from 1/3 of the shots and chances. His conversion rate is actually quite good, he needs to be stronger and improve in his hold up and link up play. But his finishing and movement is better than he gets credit for.

But he's already been written off by many.
I would give you a like if I had the possibility to do so. This is such a good post.

He used to make the right runs in the first half of the season, but he wasn't getting the ball played into him.

I haven't looked at the stats, but Garnacho seemed to me today attempted more crosses than he has managed all season combined.

Must be so hard for him to move in the box when you've gotten used for you wingers to shot, no matter how many opposition players are in front of them, or how acute the angle is.

He will come good for United, as long as we create a functional team.

statpadder

I’m genuinely depressed. We’ve spent around 200m buying Hoijland, Mount and Onana and none of them are good enough. And it doesn’t seem that will change in the future either.

Hoijland doesn’t have the guile or the silky craft you need from a top striker. He is bang average. Mount, everyone knew was just not needed. And Onana is a downgrade on DDG.

What have we done. Atleast the Martial out posters would get a reality check now.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He’s 21 with a handful of games played for Atalanta , what were you expecting? Absolute madness to expect him to lead the line for us with Martial as back up . 14 goals isn’t a bad return for an inexperienced player in his 1st season with the level of shite around him. Get a grip
He's bang average and hasn't shown the slightest glimpse of being a player we can build around. His performances have been neither here nor there, he doesn't offer anything dangerous or special up front, and often goes missing for lengthy stretches. Not his fault as most young players wouldn't pass up a chance to play for United. This one is 100% on ETH's calamitous decision making in the transfer market.

The Irish Connection

When watching MOTD last might it mentioned that Olise has quite a few assist for Eze. So having both of their link up play would be a massive upgrade. Eze can actually play football and link up play, he’d be an upgrade in that regard over Bruno but he probably wouldn’t give us Bruno’s numbers.
When those two are both fit and playing together they are as good as anything in the league.
Surprised Palace are so low in the table but shows how bad the injuries to those two have been.
Eze could play left wing too.

mu4c_20le

He's very limited. I applaud those of you who aren't worried at all. Yes the manager should be setting the team up to better utilize his strengths, which is not a target man. But great players should be able to create their own chances and look dangerous, which he never does regardless of opposition.

His fundamentals aren't great, which limits his ceiling

Erics_Collar

He's not a newborn baby FFS. He's not far off 150 senior appearances. I expect better than what I've seen.

I get we're not functional. That doesn't excuse how bad he is on the ball. When we do become a somewhat functioning team and start creating chances for him, he'll need to be banging in the goals because otherwise, he doesn't look good at anything else.

Melville Red

He is quickly turning into the worse signing in recent history. This is new signing ETH has got all wrong, yes Antony isn’t great but could and should be moved to the left wing where he might be able to use his left foot to actually cross the ball.
Hojlund can’t do a bloody thing, control the ball? No it bounce off him, pass it? Yes about five yards. Get into goal scoring positions? No. He is truly hopeless. I was watching Notts Forest and their forward Wood is bloody hopeless but and it’s a big but at least he was in the right position to actually have shots on goal.
Hojlund is just a wasted shirt, I’d rather see Wheatley given a run out but it’s too late now, perhaps next season?