5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing to point out is that now we have Covid on top of the flu as a seasonal illness. The symptoms of Omicron are similar to the flu and from what I have seen the intensity is similar. I don't know if it increases the likelihood of catching something but we have more things to catch.
To add to this over the past couple of weeks we have had quite a few covid out breaks at work and I know quite a few friends and family who have got it

To add to this over the past couple of weeks we have had quite a few covid out breaks at work and I know quite a few friends and family who have got it

It's the same for me, my mum is a nurse and she also witnessed the same thing in the past two weeks.

My dad used to go to work heavy lifting even when he was ill, what a softy.

I'll repeat it.... Idiotic business to not sell him if we can get any reasonable fee for him

Literally had the flu but ok keep your agenda
Someone needs to study what an agenda is. Wind your neck in.

I’ll blame your tears on the result.

I like Varane. He doesn’t play enough [illness today or injury otherwise], end of. I’d start him over any other CB when fit.

The utter state of this forum. Even players biggest supporters get labelled with an agenda ffs. Idiot.

He needs to go to warmer climes...I hope the Saudis come in and cover our losses and take him off our hands

That will depend on what we do with the fee. Ten Hag can’t be allowed to sign any more players.
Take the cash and start fixing our FFP situation so that when we are serious about starting a rebuild, we are capable of doing it.

Been too unreliable over his tenure.
I get the frustration but it's better to direct it at things that makes sense. Wanting to get rid of him after his Anfield performance and after yesterday when we showed our short we are in that department, makes absolutely no sense. If he is to be sold then at the end of the season for me.
It makes no sense to weaken ourselves at the moment.

A flu can happen to anyone. In fact, I’d wager every single adult on the planet, including professional athletes, has had the flu at least several times in their life.

Man Utd 3:2 Aston Villa
I cannot get my head around the fact that we didn't play him for like a month because of the whole RCB/LCB nonsense. Against both Liverpool at LCB and last night at RCB he was immense. By far the best in box defender at the club and knows exactly where to be to cut the ball out.

I hope ETH just plays him when fit irrespective of who his partner is and whether he's RCB or LCB.

I cannot get my head around the fact that we didn't play him for like a month because of the whole RCB/LCB nonsense. Against both Liverpool at LCB and last night at RCB he was immense. By far the best in box defender at the club and knows exactly where to be to cut the ball out.

I hope ETH just plays him when fit irrespective of who his partner is and whether he's RCB or LCB.
I thought he had some pretty poor moments, the second goal being the worst. Also poor to take initiatives with the ball in first half but that got much better after 0-2 when they stopped pressing.
He doesn’t look as quick as he used to be. There was one moment at the end of the game where he was dribbled where I thought “that would not have happened a few years ago”.

I thought he had some pretty poor moments, the second goal being the worst. Also poor to take initiatives with the ball in first half but that got much better after 0-2 when they stopped pressing.
He doesn’t look as quick as he used to be. There was one moment at the end of the game where he was dribbled where I thought “that would not have happened a few years ago”.
Don't think he can be blamed for the 2nd goal. Might have to rewatch it but I don't think he was marking Lenglet.

He is undoubtedly not as quick as in his prime, but he is still by and far the best CB at actual defending we have. When fit, he must play this season. At the end of the season, we can look at available options in terms of upgrading on him.

If he can stay healthy he can easily play for another 4-5 years together with Martinez, he has the speed, reading the game great, calm, good in the air, strong, leader - still of the best defenders and big reason why we had great defense (probably least concede goal per games in Europe if we did not mess up the 7, 6 and 4 goals against city, liverpool and Brentford). Also a big reason Martinez could get a good start even though the 2 first games when everybody was writing him of claiming he was way to short to make it in the Premie League. Those two will be even better this season with Onana in goal since they both are great ball handlers and can easy pass through pressing without just shooting away the ball. Having Casemiro in front of them helps also.

well said I agree

Despite arriving to much fanfare, Varane has struggled to live up to expectation or indeed remain fit for any extended period of time. In two seasons at United, Varane has already missed 32 games (17 games in 21/22 and 15 games in 22/23). It means Varane has missed 30% of Man Utd's games since he joined the club. I expect to see him out with minor injuries from time to time this season.

We should be worried about his wavering fitness and next summer we should buy a world class centre-back to replace him.

I agree he is injury prone , he is 31 yrs of age a central defender , it’s to be expected but he is clever a great thinker in the game and in my opinion the best defender we have so he has to be in the team when he is fit even if only 70% of games.

I disagree. Martinez was still better and I'd argue Shaw was also more solid over the course of the season too. Varane was good, but he makes far fewer mistakes because he's the most passive player in the backline. There's a reason that he's looked back to his best since Martinez arrived and that's because Martinez has put in consistently brilliant performances every time he's donned the shirt.

I agree to a point , the thing is Martinez cannot do what Varane does and Varane cannot do what Martinez does they are completely different types of central defenders which is what makes them a great combination , the same can be said of Varane and Evans these three are our best central defenders.

He's been really good the last 2 games, I'd have no problem shifting him on if injuries were going to be a problem for the next 6 months. But hopefully playing 1 game a week will suit him, he can have plenty of recovery time in between.

Don't think he can be blamed for the 2nd goal. Might have to rewatch it but I don't think he was marking Lenglet.

He is undoubtedly not as quick as in his prime, but he is still by and far the best CB at actual defending we have. When fit, he must play this season. At the end of the season, we can look at available options in terms of upgrading on him.
I would give him the main blame for the second goal. Also find it baffling that two such senior CB got fooled several times at setpieces. They must organise it much better. Should be said however that many of their setpieces were very well executed and really smart. It was not just the two goals, but at least one more corner where they managed to free one man.

When he plays at his best, he’s our best CB but I really think he has dropped a level from last season. (Like many others) His speed over distance is still good but I don’t think he is as quick when it comes to smaller quick moves and it is easier to dribble him now compared to how it was a few years ago.

He looks better with the ball when he plays right CB and it seems easier for him to handle press on that side.

It’s a shame he’s always injured, when on form shows levels compared to the others. Want to see him and Martinez in the starting line-up soon hopefully.

I’d keep him for another season but definitely would try to buy another CB to ease him out.

Please don't extend him. He's not reliable enough to be our #1 defender and we shouldn't be paying ridiculous wages to backups.

I wouldn’t be that concerned regarding his injuries.

They all came off the back of a gruesome season during which he retired from international football, and he’s only 30.

He might have another good couple years of football in him now that he’s focused solely on his club career

If the club extend his contract on anything close to 350k they really have learned nothing.

Last season he played just under 50% of our games. How is any team meant to build a solid defence when half the time their best defender is missing? Let alone being rewarded with probably the biggest contract at the club.

Now is the time to cash as he still has a decent valuation and reinvest that in someone or two dependable. However once again selling someone on a 350k a week contract will be complete and utter ballache.

Still want him to leave next month. No way in extending that contract.

This is bizarre, it looked like he'd fallen out with ETH and would be leaving in January a few weeks ago.

I've been a fan but he's too injury prone, and on a steep physical decline due to age and injuries. No chance we should be extending his contract.
If any new contract is given out now, it would mean it has the approval from Jim and the new DOF.

He is on ridiculous money for the contribution he has made in his time here.
Put him on a play to get paid contract and let us see how the injuries pan out.

This is bizarre, it looked like he'd fallen out with ETH and would be leaving in January a few weeks ago.

I've been a fan but he's too injury prone, and on a steep physical decline due to age and injuries. No chance we should be extending his contract.

It looked like? Or was the falling out just made up nonsense?

If he reduces his wages, I’d keep him for another season or 2. Still a good player on his day, I don’t see us buying 2 CB’s. He’d make a good bench option if we get another decent player in.

Status
Not open for further replies.