Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second season LVG was the only time worse.
Oh, how people forget.

Second season under LvG we had a cup final to look forward to and only missed out on top 4 against Pep's City on GD because we couldn't hold our arses against WHU away from home.

The only other time it's been this bad post Ferguson is the end of the Moyes season and OGS's first season.

Under OGS, we completely gave up the ghost when we again had a great chance for top four in that first season and many of those same players are still here while the new ones that have arrived since seem to be on par with them.

I didn't think it would be possible for a manager to do worse than Ole. Then I got introduced to Ralf. I still can't believe a lot on here wanted him to stay on next season.

Glad, that this will be the only season that I will see him manage united
You seriously need to wind your neck in with this blaming a guy who has been here a minute. What a pathetic agenda.

He's made a mockery of his reputation here.

His tactics have hardly shown, barely even once, that he can get players in the right positions to create.

They're a shambles. The players are brainless. But it comes from cohesion as a system, a strategy, of which every iteration I have seen from RR has been pathetic.

There are player problems of course, but we've gone from shit (tactical) manager to shit manager pillar to post.

Open up the thoracic cavity and replace all vital organs with those from Ajax. We're expiring outside and in.

This club has been run disgustingly for a god damn age.

How crazy to actually be able to say....in all likelihood, we'd have been better off with Carrick.

Clearly and factually it seems he is the brains behind something new at the time being the brains behind a paradigm shift that his aprentices and compariots took to heart and perfected. We are by far the biggest club he managed while rest being second tier with high ambitions, by a mile we are the biggest! In terms of coaching all the prominent apprentices have surpassed him in terms of levels reached. He seem best at building organisation's using small(er) tactically invested funds and upgrading them smartly from what they were and get an edge on the more disorganized similar tiered rivals but never fully hitting the top tier of German football firmly held by Bayern for any long duration.

Expecting someone with this profile, 5-10 some years into retirement from active coaching and for him to come into a club in severe disarray, players already top tier rich, not hungry and dealing with a few grifters, duds and misfires and a few heavily skilled but disgruntled pro players at the same time as trying to school them in on gegenpress, seem a little absurd in hindsight.

The core of his philosophy seem to hinge on players being
A) hungry for a chance, fame and growth while motivated and chased by a similar potential replacement always nibbing their heels
B) an organization behind it all hellbent on growth like Red Bull or smaller but ambitious ownership that back him to the hilt no matter what, operating on full trust.

Taking all that history into account and with the power of hindsight it's all a bit weird how the logic went behind the appointment, particularly in the capacity of coach.

Was he appointed to do a clear out and in the process flush our season? No Manchester united doesnt actively flush a season, a club can just tell the player at the end of the mid/full season, ciao you are not in the plans, no point creating tension mid season. Was he appointed to salvage 4th place? Then why wasn't he given a DM to plug the hole? Was he appointed because we are building an organization in the vein of red bull football? Then why not keep Carrick and mentor him from the side and monitor team progress but not disturb the harmony. More and more it seems like a desperate wishful hail Mary. At this point I hope he at least gets a chance to use this expensively acquired insight and putting it into good use for the future.

Totally agree.

The only logic I can think of is that we knew we wanted to be a pressing side under the manager and so maybe 6-8 months under Rangnick could give the new guy a headstart in that respect.

Unfortunately, all it seems to have done is highlight how few of the squad are going to be able to adapt. I’d say only Fred and Sancho’s performances have improved under Rangnick. Dalot has played more but not actually shown much more than AWB. McTominay has maintained his 1 good game in 5 ratio. Rashford and Ronaldo don’t seem able to have the work rate. Bruno has lost all composure and while he works hard he’s not actually playing well.

Of course this doesn’t work out for us, because nothing ever works out. 100% cursed.

It's a bit worrying that a man who is an expert in building clubs seems to have mentally checked out himself, seems to know that there is little hope for us to sort our shit out.
To be fair, it's pretty hard building a club sitting in the dugout but I in no way think he's mentally checked out on what he was really brought in for. For sure he's a suitcase full of things that needs to change within the club. Whether or not the club listen is another story.

How crazy to actually be able to say....in all likelihood, we'd have been better off with Carrick.

Those 3-4 games saw some decent results but I’m not sure it’s indicative of how we’d have done over the season. Carrick would still have lost Greenwood. Ronaldo and Cavani would still have been too old and not able to stay fit. Maybe he’d have given more minutes to a couple guys maybe he wouldn’t. Maybe some guys stay instead of being loaned out.

The point is it’s still a bunch of unknowns and not worth that bling about.

The Rangnick spell was only ever going to be judged on one thing - did it allow us the time to get the right manager in next.

That's to be seen, as football wise it's basically been pretty average safe stuff, just without the absolute batterings Ole had us getting, and no doubt would have continued us getting.

Oh, how people forget.

Second season under LvG we had a cup final to look forward to and only missed out on top 4 against Pep's City on GD because we couldn't hold our arses against WHU away from home.

The only other time it's been this bad post Ferguson is the end of the Moyes season and OGS's first season.

Under OGS, we completely gave up the ghost when we again had a great chance for top four in that first season and many of those same players are still here while the new ones that have arrived since seem to be on par with them.
I remember it fine. We scored 49 goals all season, attacking wise (as per the post I replied to) it was dreadful.

The Rangnick spell was only ever going to be judged on one thing - did it allow us the time to get the right manager in next.

That's to be seen, as football wise it's basically been pretty average safe stuff, just without the absolute batterings Ole had us getting, and no doubt would have continued us getting.

RR's only played one of the big boys and we got battered, still got Liverpool to come that'll likely be another pasting. RR's improved nothing

Can't deny that all in all he failed. We're out of every competition and out of the top 4 race. I like him but he doesn't strike me as a good man manager, and I don't think he was ever able to win over the players. The players are terrible i know, but top 4 shouldn't have been an issue.

If the only thing to come out of his tenure here is that his handover to the next manager consists of strongly recommending that we remove certain lazy pricks from the club, it will have been worth it.

The difference is RR hasn't been able to bring in any of his own players and has had to take over a shit trained squad halfway through a season where they were getting battered regularly. He can't even plan ahead as he won't be here. He couldn't bring in any top coaches to work with him, so has had to work with substandard ones. He was on a hiding to nothing as soon as he started.

You seriously need to wind your neck in with this blaming a guy who has been here a minute. What a pathetic agenda.
Let me introduce you to conte recently. Heck even Ole had a better managerial bounce. I admit, I taught Ralf was going to be a good interim, but he failed that expectation. I am quite sure if we had kept Carrick, he would have done better. Ralf was all hype and everyone kept saying he was what we needed and how his philosophy is amazing (similiar to what I am hearing with ETH), but when reality hits, he has done really poor.

He has failed utterly.
No two ways about it.
Having said that, Jesus Christ himself wouldn’t get a tune out of this shower of shite at the moment.
Weve had pretty much every type of manager in the last 8 years. We’ve been gash in all of those years..
common denominator = players.

It’s maybe not all their fault though. Throw £250k at a 21 year old and if they don’t have the minerals they won’t bother - aka rashford and martial. Not ralfs fault.
Pay a show pony midfielder 300k a week and watch him half arse it for an entire season. Not ralfs fault.
Pay £50m for a right back who can barely play football but is a good tackler. Not ralfs fault.
I could go on but I’m boring myself.
The entire situation is fubar and I hope ten hag has got the bollocks to do what needs to be done.
Gut 80% of this “team”

Oh, how people forget.

Maybe it‘s you who has forgotten if you think Pep was here when LvG was.
LvG managed to miss out on top 4 in a season when Klopp was just settling in, Chelsea was left close to relegation by Jose and City were nothing special.

I think if we're honest, he's just not very good as a coach, which is backed up by his track record as a manager to be fair. His advisory role is most important but a shame he hasn't been very good, but talks a good way.

In fairness to him when he took over we were 10th.

Since then we lost Greenwood, loaned out Martial and Van der Beek.

It's not as though he's had the benefit of any signings.

None of the below players should start next season at the club:
Ronaldo
Martial
Cavani
Mata
Lingard
Fred
Pogba
Jones
Bailly

Relegated to squad players:
Rashford
Maguire
Lindelof

We really need an epic summer window. The only reason why I think we could pull it off would be because of Rangnik and Ten Hag picking decent players that can have an impact. We need around 9 out and 7 in.

De Gea
Dalot Akanji Varane Telles
Neves Rice
Fernandes
Greenwood Nunes Sancho

Subs:
Johnstone
Shaw
AWB
Maguire
Lindelof
Matic
McTominay
Van Der Beek
Rashford
McNeill

The difference is RR hasn't been able to bring in any of his own players and has had to take over a shit trained squad halfway through a season where they were getting battered regularly. He can't even plan ahead as he won't be here. He couldn't bring in any top coaches to work with him, so has had to work with substandard ones. He was on a hiding to nothing as soon as he started.

Ole didn't bring his own players in during his temp period and according to most here had terrible coaches around him. Still had a brilliant initial impact.

I like Ralf but I don't see one bit of change under him. Something should have been visible by now.

I think he got a brutal reality check with us and is a bit shocked but not showing it. Throwing it? Not for a second, but he too lost the players.

What was the reality check that he isn't the manager he and more importantly many others seem to think he was?

Throwing?

I meant he doesn't look like he's arsed if we win or lose and hasn't for a while. Can't say I blame him too much to be honest though.

Who knows, the players certainly not. So he needs to drop those who dont care

Yeah but that's my point, that's what he should do but he hasn't which probably points to him not giving a feck either.

What was the reality check that he isn't the manager he and more importantly many others seem to think he was?

Throwing?

I meant he doesn't look like he's arsed if we win or lose and hasn't for a while. Can't say I blame him too much to be honest though.
The reality check would be that our players are a mixture of trash and twats who don't care. As a man who conducts himself in a professional manner I expect he's quite shocked at both the state of the club and the unprofessional attitudes of several players

Let me put it this way. I definitely didn't think that he would be a super hit, but at the same time I never thought he'd be this bad. Many times it's been diabolical. I thought his arrival would give us a much better shot at 4th but I was completely wrong.

Tuchel came in halfway through a season didn't sign anyone and won the UCL at Chelsea taking over from Lampard who may relegate Everton

No one expected that kind of impact from RR but what they also didn't expect were stats like these

Countless other managers have come in and saved clubs from relegation by putting runs of form together, RR has literally done nothing. Our longest winning run under RR is two games and we've only been able to win two games in a row under him twice and he's been here for 4 months. He failed in the FA Cup to Championship Middlesbrough, he failed in the UCL to the worst Athletico side in years and he's failing to finish above Arteta's Arsenal.

Last edited:

Throwing?

Reality check in that he met his immovable object that is MU squad, I'm sure he must have convinced himself it was possible.

Throwing too strong a word, but I don't think he is 'not trying' or cba, but he seems clueless on how to get a tune out of these players. Feels like he is actively trying changes all the time but nothing works out. His win rate is abysmal.

In fairness to him when he took over we were 10th.

Since then we lost Greenwood, loaned out Martial and Van der Beek.

It's not as though he's had the benefit of any signings.

None of the below players should start next season at the club:
Ronaldo
Martial
Cavani
Mata
Lingard
Fred
Pogba
Jones
Bailly

Relegated to squad players:
Rashford
Maguire
Lindelof

We really need an epic summer window. The only reason why I think we could pull it off would be because of Rangnik and Ten Hag picking decent players that can have an impact. We need around 9 out and 7 in.

De Gea
Dalot Akanji Varane Telles
Neves Rice
Fernandes
Greenwood Nunes Sancho

Subs:
Johnstone
Shaw
AWB
Maguire
Lindelof
Matic
McTominay
Van Der Beek
Rashford
McNeill
Greenwood :wenger:

The reality check would be that our players are a mixture of trash and twats who don't care. As a man who conducts himself in a professional manner I expect he's quite shocked at both the state of the club and the unprofessional attitudes of several players

You think he would be shocked that some players at a football club are crap or that some members of a group of young, pampered millionaires might be Twats?

Do you really think he's lead such a sheltered life?

Countless other managers have come in and saved clubs from relegation by putting runs of form together, RR has literally done nothing. Our longest winning run under RR is two games and we've only been able to win two games in a row under him twice and he's been here for 4 months. He failed in the FA Cup to Championship Middlesbrough, he failed in the UCL to the worst Athletico side in years and he's failing to finish above Arteta's Arsenal.

I think people like you have wildly optimistic thoughts about the quality of our players. I hate it when people criticize the manager like this. What are you expecting? We haven't got a team like the clubs we'd like to compare ourselves to.

I think people like you have wildly optimistic thoughts about the quality of our players. I hate it when people criticize the manager like this. What are you expecting? We haven't got a team like the clubs we'd like to compare ourselves to.

Im literally comparing us to sides who were battling relegation and got a bounce from their new manager, people like you clearly don't know what being wildly optimistic is

United under Ole has dropped tools at the end of the seasons for last few years now. This lot is unprofessional as they come. They have done the same to Rangnick.

This squad needs to be completely dismantled. Till we do that expect nothing else

Im literally comparing us to sides who were battling relegation and got a bounce from their new manager, people like you clearly don't know what being wildly optimistic is

Well. I think our position in the league is very fair. We've got some good players who has their moments, but the squad composition is very poor. It's not a team at all. The best manager in the world wouldn't be able to change that. You can make a pig wear makeup but it's still a pig.

I have no sympathy for the guy, he has continued to play players that has shown no reason to be worthy of being a regular starter, he pandered to big stars at the very beginning and is reaping those mistakes.

Imagine if he had come in and gave some of the fringe players a true lease of life at the club, he could have got a lot players on his side but instead he has caused friction with many of them.

He's made a mockery of his reputation here.

His tactics have hardly shown, barely even once, that he can get players in the right positions to create.

They're a shambles. The players are brainless. But it comes from cohesion as a system, a strategy, of which every iteration I have seen from RR has been pathetic.

There are player problems of course, but we've gone from shit (tactical) manager to shit manager pillar to post.

Open up the thoracic cavity and replace all vital organs with those from Ajax. We're expiring outside and in.

This club has been run disgustingly for a god damn age.
This is why we may struggle to get a top class coach, ots a major rebuilding job that will need patience which you don't get anymore at this level

I have no sympathy for the guy, he has continued to play players that has shown no reason to be worthy of being a regular starter, he pandered to big stars at the very beginning and is reaping those mistakes.

Imagine if he had come in and gave some of the fringe players a true lease of life at the club, he could have got a lot players on his side but instead he has caused friction with many of them.
Which fringe players? Fringe players are the ones found in the bench, the likes of Matic, Mata, Jones, Bailey, Henderson and Lingard. They're all shite and will soon be at different clubs. It's all well and good saying certain players shouldn't be in the starting lineup, but the alternatives are even worse more often than not.

Ralf should drop most of them and start some youngsters in the next game. That will show them.

Status
Not open for further replies.