Raheem Sterling to...? | joins Arsenal on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chelsea will have to pay him a lot of money to leave. Can't see any team paying him anywhere near 300k a week for the next 3 years.

Chelsea will have to pay him a lot of money to leave. Can't see any team paying him anywhere near 300k a week for the next 3 years.

Aye, think he’s lucky if a team feels they can take on 200k if there’s no transfer fee involved. And clubs aren’t stupid, they know Chelsea have put themselves in a horrible position with him.
If he has 3 years left, Chelsea are likely gonna have to fork out a few million to get him to leave.

I hope we do not sign him, not even on loan, he does not bring anything of value as a player, and we have enough shit wingers in Antony & Rashford, as well as ones that aren't the finished product, I'd rather we go for a younger player who can start for us, if someone like Chiesa can stay fit will be a better option at 15m euro.

Both the remaining of his unamortised fee and insane wages would make a huge difference.

Obviously though the amortised fee on the books is not an outstanding "cost". And Sancho would probably have to be replaced (this summer or next) by another player that we presumably will have to pay a compensation fee for and pay wages to (though hopefully one a bracket below).

I'm nitpicking a little but I'd be surprised whatever FFP/PSR inefficiencies we have would be uniquely alleviated by offloading Sancho specifically. Though he's certainly the one I'd get out the door first considering how little value he is contributing to the football playing.

Obviously though the amortised fee on the books is not an outstanding "cost". And Sancho would probably have to be replaced (this summer or next) by another player that we presumably will have to pay a compensation fee for and pay wages to (though hopefully one a bracket below).

I'm nitpicking a little but I'd be surprised whatever FFP/PSR inefficiencies we have would be uniquely alleviated by offloading Sancho specifically. Though he's certainly the one I'd get out the door first considering how little value he is contributing to the football playing.
I expect it to more than likely be a loan with option to buy (similar to Hannibal to Burnley, but his is obligation to buy, I just don't think we'd be lucky enough to get an obligation on Sancho). From what I remember, considering he's done 4 years of his six-year contract, we would need to sell him for around £25m if sold this season in order to 'break even' due to the price we paid for him. Of course he's cost us a lot in wages so it isn't necessarily as simple as that, but for the actual PSR it will work out around that I believe.

As for Sterling, to get this on topic, I didn't want him and I don't think many United fans would. However, I could see us signing an English/homegrown player or two this window given who we are offloading. We already moved on six players that count as homegrown this Summer and odds are we are getting rid of another three (McTominay, Hannibal, Sancho). I don't think we will even have the eight homegrown players in our squad unless youth players are promoted, but we don't have to register anyone under 21 obviously. In terms of bolstering the squad, I wouldn't be surprised to see us add homegrown players.

Just for reference, I think ours at the moment are (assuming all of the above leave): Heaton, Maguire, Shaw, Mainoo*, Mount, Rashford, Garnacho...

Edit: Amad potentially counts but I'd lean more toward not.

I expect it to more than likely be a loan with option to buy (similar to Hannibal to Burnley, but his is obligation to buy, I just don't think we'd be lucky enough to get an obligation on Sancho). From what I remember, considering he's done 4 years of his six-year contract, we would need to sell him for around £25m if sold this season in order to 'break even' due to the price we paid for him. Of course he's cost us a lot in wages so it isn't necessarily as simple as that, but for the actual PSR it will work out around that I believe.

As for Sterling, to get this on topic, I didn't want him and I don't think many United fans would. However, I could see us signing an English/homegrown player or two this window given who we are offloading. We already moved on six players that count as homegrown this Summer and odds are we are getting rid of another three (McTominay, Hannibal, Sancho). I don't think we will even have the eight homegrown players in our squad unless youth players are promoted, but we don't have to register anyone under 21 obviously. In terms of bolstering the squad, I wouldn't be surprised to see us add homegrown players.

Just for reference, I think ours at the moment are (assuming all of the above leave): Heaton, Maguire, Shaw, Mainoo*, Mount, Rashford, Garnacho...

I think your back of napkin calculation is broadly correct. Sancho is probably worth 25-30 on the book this year, half that next year at least per FFP guidelines. Management is definitely set on not taking a loss (reportedly they want 40m for him) and a loan would kick back the issue to next summer where selling him might be easier (plus shaving off some of those wages).

I am not huge on Sterling but if it was a permanent 1 for 1, that he'd take a 2+1 year contract and a wage cut (ideally below what we pays Sancho) -all big asks for him to accept-... I'd think he'd be a more useful option than a player we get nothing out of (irregardless of where responsibilities lies for that) and is therefore creating tensions with the manager (and locker room ?).

I'm not sure I follow how getting rid of Sancho would dramatically benefit our FFP position for the future, at least more so than any high value, high wages player we'd sold ?
I guess if they mean FFP as in the UEFA squad cost rule which the PL are (I think) adopting next summer, then Sancho's wages are a pretty huge factor. Book value of ~£30m or whatever plus the wages of slightly less than that would account for something like 10% (I guess more like 7% or something next season) of our total revenue, when we'd be trying to get the whole playing squad down to 70% of total revenue to be in line with the rules going forward. All for a player who doesn't play.

Apologies for the quick and dirty maths but I think it shows how much of a problem Sancho is in financial terms when he's otherwise a non-entity as a Man United footballer. He eats ~10% of your squad cost budget just by existing.

I can't believe folk are still acting as if United being interested in Sterling was as live in the real world as it is in cyberland. No wonder stuff like this constantly gets made up.

I guess if they mean FFP as in the UEFA squad cost rule which the PL are (I think) adopting next summer, then Sancho's wages are a pretty huge factor. Book value of ~£30m or whatever plus the wages of slightly less than that would account for something like 10% (I guess more like 7% or something next season) of our total revenue, when we'd be trying to get the whole playing squad down to 70% of total revenue to be in line with the rules going forward. All for a player who doesn't play.

Apologies for the quick and dirty maths but I think it shows how much of a problem Sancho is in financial terms when he's otherwise a non-entity as a Man United footballer. He eats ~10% of your squad cost budget just by existing.

If the argument is that Sancho is the poorest return for what we pay in the current squad, I can't disagree.

I'd take him on a season long loan because he is better than Rashford and provides genuine attacking threat. I think he is also the second highest goal scoring winger if you exclude penalties in Premier League's history only behind Salah. Not as close to as good as he used to be, but still better than our wingers.

If they want money or a trade deal with Sancho, then no. We need that money to go big on Kvaratskhelia next summer ;)

Best team for him to join is West Ham. Wouldn't ever have to play against his kryptonite then.

Say what you want but he a reliable and consistent scorer on paper which is one quality we could use. Big reservations otherwise.

So Raheem Sterling is the profile of player we are targeting for our bright new future? FFS

If we offload Sancho onto them then I don’t mind as an experienced attacking option. If we think he’s the answer and we’re going for him on big wages then I’m against it.

He's the last thing we need.

- Approaching 30
- On big wages
- Ex Liverpool and City
- Misses big chances constantly

If we're seriously interested here I'll be extremely concerned.

For 100-150k I'm okay with it. Chelsea will pay him off because he aint getting that elsewhere.

Say what you want but he a reliable and consistent scorer on paper which is one quality we could use. Big reservations otherwise.
No he's not, he's never been a consistent scorer, if anything he's exactly like Rashford in how inconsistent he is. He hasn't even had a good season in years

Jeez. I mean I’m confident he’d give us more than the current version of Sancho but the idea of signing a 29 year old who’s looked pretty average for two years does very little for me. Before Chelsea I always thought he was a good player. He’d need to take serious wage cut as well.

What the feck is a reliable and consistent scorer on paper? We got loads of those. They just don't actually score in real life.

He's the last thing we need.

- Approaching 30
- On big wages
- Ex Liverpool and City
- Misses big chances constantly

If we're seriously interested here I'll be extremely concerned.
I was in the same camp. But I’m warming up to the idea of adding him. IF he comes on reduced wages and a short 2+1 kind of deal.

Scored 8 and assisted 4 in the premier league last season. In 31 appearances (9 off the bench). Those are the kind of numbers we could use.

As a rotation option and competition for Rashford, he offers a lot more than Sancho, surely.

We do need more goals in the squad for sure. Him and Hojlund could be a decent combination.

My man Dan knows what he wants. Sterling would come in and be our best winger. That's how poor we are on the wings.

Please no! Sterling's had his day in the sun. Pace and mindset is not there any more.

If he's on 100-150k a week, we get quite a sum for Sancho then it's a fine deal I think.

Sell Rashford next year, and go with Garnacho and Sterling for the next season. Think he could play as false 9 for this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.