Raheem Sterling to...? | joins Arsenal on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avoid at all costs.

Regardless of his age, his career trajectory his only heading one way. His wages, his age and previous reputation will present him as a first team option - which is no longer the case for him. The same applies for both us and Villa.

This reminds me of that line in Black Adder where Mr. Bean was asked why World War 1 kicked off and he replied "well, it was just too much effort not to".

Do NOT want. Would be very surprised our new top brass fell for something like this. We need cash for Sancho, not crap for crap.

I remember watched a video of match interview that he said he supported man united when he was kid. Will that change your mind?
This was constantly mentioned whilst he played for both Liverpool & City. People thought that him being a United fan growing up was the reason why he's still never scored against us.

Do NOT want. Would be very surprised our new top brass fell for something like this. We need cash for Sancho, not crap for crap.
Depends if anyone is offering to pay for him anything close to what they want. Chances are they are not.

It’s obvious though they want him out of the club. He’ll end up sitting it out most of the season which is a waste of everyone’s time.

I’d take him on a season long loan with Chelsea paying the majority of his salary. He’s comfortably better than Rashford, Antony & Sancho.

Would give us time to look for a couple of suitable long term wingers to compliment Garnacho & Amad when (hopefully) both Sancho & Antony are gone.

If Chelsea also want to give us a ton of money for Sancho too that would be lovely.

Ignoring all of the sane reasons not to go anywhere near this, I’m going to be a tad provocative and suggest that Sterling would probably play quite well here and provide better numbers than Sancho and the bloke currently masquerading as Rashford.

So, no, I’m not suggesting we should. But I don’t think if we did it would be the catastrophic sort of business some would have you believe.

I can not believe people actually thinking taking him of Chelsea's hands is a good idea.

Ignoring all of the sane reasons not to go anywhere near this, I’m going to be a tad provocative and suggest that Sterling would probably play quite well here and provide better numbers than Sancho and the bloke currently masquerading as Rashford.

So, no, I’m not suggesting we should. But I don’t think if we did it would be the catastrophic sort of business some would have you believe.

The problem is that Sterling's entourage made a show of Chelsea not guaranteeing him a first team place this season. So, it's not even about whether he can come here and chip in, because the expectation from his agents is that he's a first-team starter. We're not going to offer him that. No way; not with Rashford here, and he's certainly not taking Garnacho's minutes.

So what we're left with is a player who doesn't want to be on the bench, who also probably won't settle for less than current wages, playing backup here on big wages and recreating the very conditions with which Chelsea seek to be selling him.

The problem is that Sterling's entourage made a show of Chelsea not guaranteeing him a first team place this season. So, it's not even about whether he can come here and chip in, because the expectation from his agents is that he's a first-team starter. We're not going to offer him that. No way; not with Rashford here, and he's certainly not taking Garnacho's minutes.

So what we're left with is a player who doesn't want to be on the bench, who also probably won't settle for less than current wages, playing backup here on big wages and recreating the very conditions with which Chelsea seek to be selling him.

I take your point, but the slight distinction is that Chelsea have bluntly told him that he isn’t even getting a squad number. That’s a different scenario altogether.

Like I said, there’s a whole host of reasons to suggest it would be counterproductive and not in our best interests, but I do think he is a good player and, if he were to arrive, would offer an experienced goal scoring threat that we don’t possess in the wide areas. Again, though, I’d ultimately pass.

Thread title needs changing, no? Villa aren’t interested.

He's simply not a United player, maybe he could have been at one time, but played for our most fierce rivals. Not to mention he's now lost a yard of pace and is bang average these days. Anybody even entertaining this move needs their heads checked.

A player even more past it than Rashford? No thanks.

Mount, Chillwell, and Sterling.....make it happen Jim!

Sterling should make one of those 32-page brochures Michael Owen had made. He could probably just cut 'n' paste most of it. Some of these were bizarre for Owen too, to be fair.
Let's see:

Raheem Sterling - Brand Values

• Fit & Healthy
• First Class
• Successful
Young
Committed
• Sincere
• Clean & Fresh (?)
• Good Looking (?)
• Global (?)
• Enthusiastic (?)
• Stylish
Respected
Devoted
Charismatic
• Articulate
• Technical
• Instinctive
Aspirational
Cool
• Resilient

Sterling should make one of those 32-page brochures Michael Owen had made. He could probably just cut 'n' paste most of it. Some of these were bizarre for Owen too, to be fair.
Let's see:

Raheem Sterling - Brand Values

• Fit & Healthy
• First Class
• Successful
Young
Committed
• Sincere
• Clean & Fresh (?)
• Good Looking (?)
• Global (?)
• Enthusiastic (?)
• Stylish
Respected
Devoted
Charismatic
• Articulate
• Technical
• Instinctive
Aspirational
Cool
• Resilient
Adding “Great at diving” is a must

Well, hence the “talks about contract with Chelsea”

His team have to work out some sort of payoff from Chelsea, which will be a percentage of his wages remaining. Then he’ll be free to go to a project he likes on lower, attractive wages to try and play more. The man thinks he’s still getting back into the England team possibly if he can showcase. Will he? No. Gordon could t get minutes …. So no. But he wants to try.

Well, hence the “talks about contract with Chelsea”

His team have to work out some sort of payoff from Chelsea, which will be a percentage of his wages remaining. Then he’ll be free to go to a project he likes on lower, attractive wages to try and play more. The man thinks he’s still getting back into the England team possibly if he can showcase. Will he? No. Gordon could t get minutes …. So no. But he wants to try.

From what I am reading, it is not a pay off for leaving. He had a sign on bonus. That bonus is spread out and paid monthly. If he put in a transfer request, he would forfeit any bonus owed to him. As he is being told he is surplus, he is due whatever remains of the sign on bonus.
This is all speculation, but it is how these bonuses are structured.

Would only entertain a loan deal for him if anything at all. He's been a very good player over the years but mainly in a city team absolutely dominating games and allowing him free reign to score goals.

We don't need another LW? Yes, we do! We need Rashford sold and two more signed.
Even if that was possible then one of them shouldn't be Sterling. Also, if Rashford isn't there then Garnacho should be starting LW and we should be signing another RW so we never have to see Antony play again

From what I am reading, it is not a pay off for leaving. He had a sign on bonus. That bonus is spread out and paid monthly. If he put in a transfer request, he would forfeit any bonus owed to him. As he is being told he is surplus, he is due whatever remains of the sign on bonus.
This is all speculation, but it is how these bonuses are structured.
That makes sense. I would assume they would want some sort of subsidy if they agree to move on somewhere for lower wages though. But maybe not.

Even if that was possible then one of them shouldn't be Sterling. Also, if Rashford isn't there then Garnacho should be starting LW and we should be signing another RW so we never have to see Antony play again
Depends how we view Garnacho. We need two wingers either way. Either two for the left or one for the left and one for the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.