Raheem Sterling to...? | joins Arsenal on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
27zfe38m09ld1.png

He's not Nico Williams, but people are not understanding how desperately we need a winger that can do something. Diallo and Garnacho have time on their hands, but at present their form is not consistent. Even still, there's absolutely nothing on the bench that can help out when their form dips.

I love Rashford, but playing him into form is clearly not happening, we can't have passengers.

Imagine having three senior LB's on the payroll and still watching Dalot play more than half of the games there ..

Shaw and Chilwell could lead the Malacia search party I suppose. Keeps them busy.

The cheek on Chelsea to want to give us Chilwell when we have two senior left backs on the book and they only have one.
None of this rumours make sense and if it is then a sackable offense for even considering it.

They did not believe their luck we took Mount from them, hence why this is happening

Any united fan open to having any of these two after all we have been through in the last ten years with overpriced past it injury prone players needs to give their head a wobble
I agree on the Chillwell stuff and I do think we're not interested in him one bit. But Sterling would automatically be our best winger, I think you're underrating him. If we can get him to take a paycut it will work, I guarantee it.

But he’s got more potential than Sterling. That’s the point. They’ll easily make massive profit on sancho if they get him to his best form.
Sancho’s best form is on a PlayStation.
Despite all the hype he was decidedly average on loan in Germany and he’ll be decidedly average wherever he goes. We need to get rid just not sure we need sterling in return.

Hmmmmm.. why?! Is he better than Rashford, probably but not by that much. He is better at finding space for a pass and probably more hardworking but really what is the point when we have Garnacho coming through. I’d rather give Garnacho minutes and go with the ups and downs as he develops.

Loan makes it more palatable but to make his move permanent with the wages it would cost would in my mind not be a great idea.

Was it Darren Bent that said Sterling can barely kick a ball or has the worst striking technique he has seen or some rubbish like that?
I remember Paul Scholes saying something similar. And I kind of see what he means as Sterling has always had a habit of slicing at it.

He also dribbles with T-Rex arms. That isn't really relevant to anything but I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet.

given our desperate need for a winger, would Sterling be that really bad of an option?
Depends on the deal. If Chelsea bung in a big wedge of cash then possibly not. If they just want to swap Sancho for Sterling and Chilwell then it’s a bad deal for us, as we could end up paying over £500k a week in wages for them both. Understand why we are talking to them as we need Sancho out - but we’ve got sensible people doing our deals now and I’m pretty sure a deal will only get done if it benefits us.

Imagine having three senior LB's on the payroll and still watching Dalot play more than half of the games there ..

Shaw and Chilwell could lead the Malacia search party I suppose. Keeps them busy.
Until Shaw eats Chilwell, and then we're back to square one.

This gives me confidence that Sterling would be alright - he's been putting in better numbers than our other wingers last season and that was with a Chelsea team that are arguably more of a basket case than we are.

The money is a big concern through. How long will his contract be? Will he fall of a cliff physically within six months of playing in this United side?

And he helps us to what?
He helps us by not relying on Garnacho and Amad whilst they gain experience and consistency, United are not challenging for the PL or CL in the next season or two and we won't if he field mostly young players in forward positons

It really shouldn't be shocking at this point but the Rashford part of the chart is actually quite sad. This simply has to be a better season from him. I kinda wonder how his 21-22 season looked as well in these stats.

I'm honestly not so keen on Sterling. It's not a future signing but the club is in a difficult place with its attack because half the players are 'ones for the future' (Amad, Garnacho, Hojlund, Zirkzee) and the more senior forwards are just desperately lacking in form and consistency (Rashford, Antony).

If people talked themselves into Berge I’m not surprised some are okay with Sterling but make no mistake about it this would be an awful signing.

Think his best years was Liverpool weren’t it? Can’t remember him being all that decent for city except he could never score past us and get the better of AWB
You mustn't follow football very closely

His best years were deffo at City - the three consecutive seasons where he scored 18, 17, and 20 prem goals.

His peak is basically what we hoped Rashford could reach but seemingly never will.

Whether it's a good idea to go for him now, especially with the City and Liverpool history, is a different matter but, if it were a straight swap with Sancho with both clubs getting a sell on fee, that could work for us. We'd essentially get Sterling with little resale value and Chelsea would get Sancho with us getting cash if he turns good and becomes a valuable selling asset

Obviously not. Should have gone for someone even better earlier bit I'd take him. Anything is better than watching Rashford fail to beat his man constantly.
IF we get him, do you think he will actually get on the pitch for more than 5 or 10 minutes at the end as one of ETHs strange subs ?

Won't ETH still start and play the three musketeers ahead of him ?

This is where I’m at. There’s something quite amusing and intriguing about the whole thing. It isn’t going to bankrupt the club and it means we get shot of a waste of space in Sancho.

I mean, it’s probably a really shit idea, but let’s embrace the madness.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean about embracing the madness and his stats are quite impressive. He will know there is hostility towards him from our fanbase (understandably so) and in a weird way it might drive him on to prove a point.

Garnacho and Amad should be sharing the LF position this season, neither are experienced or consistent enough to be both starting together, IMO Garnacho is way better on the right than he is on the left at the moment

Sterling would be competing with Rashford and TBH that's a competition he would be winning at the moment, Rashford looks like he needs a dose of reality injecting in to him and this might to do it, if it doesn't then he's as useful to us as Sancho is
If we're signing anyone on the wing we need another wide playmaker, which Sterling isn't. We have Garnacho and Rashford already for the role Sterling does. If Rashford goes then it makes sense, but currently they're too similar, pace merchants with inconsistent technique and a lack of playmaking ability. We're probably better off keeping Sancho.

If we're signing anyone on the wing we need another wide playmaker, which Sterling isn't. We have Garnacho and Rashford already for the role Sterling does. If Rashford goes then it makes sense, but currently they're far too similar, pace merchants with inconsistent technique and a lack of playmaking ability. We're probably better off keeping Sancho.
We're not because he offers jackshit.

The cheek on Chelsea to want to give us Chilwell when we have two senior left backs on the book and they only have one.
None of this rumours make sense and if it is then a sackable offense for even considering it.

They did not believe their luck we took Mount from them, hence why this is happening

Any united fan open to having any of these two after all we have been through in the last ten years with overpriced past it injury prone players needs to give their head a wobble
I totally agree, but one of them is better than those that we currently have so it's a very odd situation we find ourselves in.

Not so sure on the Sterling deal. Id rather us put the money into getting a proper CM to play alongside Mainoo. Sancho going out is good, but I think anything other than a loan with no mandatory obligations for Sterling, otherwise its a no for me. And we certainly don't need to pay silly wages for him. He's simply not that good.

Not so sure on the Sterling deal. Id rather us put the money into getting a proper CM to play alongside Mainoo. Sancho going out is good, but I think anything other than a loan with no mandatory obligations for Sterling, otherwise its a no for me. And we certainly don't need to pay silly wages for him. He's simply not that good.

OK what about if we did this swap but also decided to propose a deal for Rabiot or is he not a proper CM

He has age on his side, his value will hold. As a third reserve on the left and right wing, he's not a bad option.
On what planet?

His value is plummeting by the day and he's shown nothing to suggest that he can do anything that would maintain or better it

If Andy Cole scored half of all these supposed sitters he missed then surely he'd be untouchable at the top of all time premier league goal scorers.
He's the league's leading scorer for the year the DVD focuses on !

OK what about if we did this swap but also decided to propose a deal for Rabiot or is he not a proper CM
It sounds to me like we need money in before we can buy anyone. So a straight swap Sancho for Sterling doesn't help our quest for more funds to put towards a CM.

On what planet?

His value is plummeting by the day and he's shown nothing to suggest that he can do anything that would maintain or better it
hold better than Sterlings*, it'll depreciate but at a much slower rate. There's also a very small chance he might turn a corner with his fitness levels and start performing, helping his value hold or even go up.

Sterling feels like the complete opposite of the type of players we have been signing. He is not young and hungry for success, he isn't that good anymore and is on mega money

He is not one of those players you just want to boost the club and players like a Ibra, RVP or even Cavani/Ronaldo

It's not a position we exactly need people desperately either

It sounds to me like we need money in before we can buy anyone. So a straight swap Sancho for Sterling doesn't help our quest for more funds to put towards a CM.
Rabiot is a free agent so we aren't buying him, it's his wages and probably a signing fee only

No way it would be a straight swap. We’d value Sancho much higher than Sterling. Only way it possibly works is if money comes our way as well.

Anything would be an upgrade on Rashford currently. If he accepts a pay cut, and the fee isn’t too much, I wouldn’t have any problems with a deal. He supported United growing up too, which helps.

You mustn't follow football very closely

His best years were deffo at City - the three consecutive seasons where he scored 18, 17, and 20 prem goals.

His peak is basically what we hoped Rashford could reach but seemingly never will.

Whether it's a good idea to go for him now, especially with the City and Liverpool history, is a different matter but, if it were a straight swap with Sancho with both clubs getting a sell on fee, that could work for us. We'd essentially get Sterling with little resale value and Chelsea would get Sancho with us getting cash if he turns good and becomes a valuable selling asset
I just only remember him at Liverpool to be fair. Dont pay too much attention to small clubs. Funny that he’s apparently a boy hood United fan and he’s played for our 2 biggest rivals.

I can only hope the terms of the swap deal are extremely favourable for us if we're giving this any consideration at all.

I would've wanted us to sign Sterling as much as the next guy around the time he was leaving Liverpool but this incarnation looks like a busted flush. I'm worried we're going to accrue another version of Rashford from last season.

I don't like the sounds of this at all!

United shouldn't be going anywhere near Sterling.

I absolutely hate Sterling, even the way he runs annoys me. I’ve spent the week going back and forward on this. Bottom line: it’s not a great deal. Part of me wants Rashford to panic and step up.

hold better than Sterlings*, it'll depreciate but at a much slower rate. There's also a very small chance he might turn a corner with his fitness levels and start performing, helping his value hold or even go up.
Who cares about his value, he'd be there to replace a player who's career is going nowhere, costs a fortune and is not going to be of any real value to us

Sterling, on the right deal is a short term option, and potentilly gives Rashford the kick up the a**e needs

I said the same when we were linked with Southgate. If Ashworth is genuinely interested (unconfirmed in both cases) then he’s going to be shocking for us.

He’d instantly be our best winger, which is more an indictment of the state of our attack then a sign this is a good move.

I’d happily take him on a season long loan with Chelsea paying the majority of his wages. But a permanent deal on a (presumably) big contract would be absolutely madness. Or genius if he gets back to his City form. But probably madness.
And what do we do with Sancho then? Because they aren’t taking Sancho on the terms you are proposing.

Status
Not open for further replies.