QF | England vs Switzerland | Netherlands vs Turkey

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Saturday 6 July
17:00 BST | England vs Switzerland
20:00 BST | Netherlands vs Turkey

The Friday QFs look like the more entertaining ones, but I'm kind of looking forward to the NL vs TUR game. Not sure what to expect and it could go either way. That being said I hope Demiral is suspended. As for the England game, it will be more of the same. Really hope and expect the Swiss go for it and put England under a lot of pressure.

Anything can happen at this stage, but not beating Turkey would be a real let down. We have a significantly better team and seem to have found our grove. Though Austria were also far better than Turkey and that didn't mean anything in the End.

England Switzerland seems like a toss-up. On paper England is the overwhelming favorite, but....

Anything can happen at this stage, but not beating Turkey would be a real let down. We have a significantly better team and seem to have found our grove. Though Austria were also far better than Turkey and that didn't mean anything in the End.

England Switzerland seems like a toss-up. On paper England is the overwhelming favorite, but....
I watched three matches of the Netherlands so far (didn’t watch the one against France), and in all three it seemed as if the team was playing in second gear.
Not in an “underperforming” way like France or England but more like a friendly game type of environment, seemed like whenever they felt like it to turn it up a gear they scored.
The defending against Austria was also farcical and passive.

If they play against Turkey in the same manner they will get punished, if they treat it professionally they will win quite comfortably.

I watched three matches of the Netherlands so far (didn’t watch the one against France), and in all three it seemed as if the team was playing in second gear.
Not in an “underperforming” way like France or England but more like a friendly game type of environment, seemed like whenever they felt like it to turn it up a gear they scored.
The defending against Austria was also farcical and passive.

If they play against Turkey in the same manner they will get punished, if they treat it professionally they will win quite comfortably.
Our last game wasn't like that at all surely? We should've beaten Romania 6-0. Though I guess if you consistently don't convert big chances it stops being an outlier.

All our group games were indeed crap.

Think yours will be the game of the round.

Turkey are wild in ko stages. Always fun to watch. They’ll force the game along.
I expect a sort of easy win actually. They're like an undisciplined version of Austria with a far worse defence. Think they won't be able to cope with our forwards.

They are wild though, so who knows, I might have to eat these words.

You also had us losing against Romania though didn't you :p

I expect a sort of easy win actually. They're like an undisciplined version of Austria with a far worse defence. Think they won't be able to cope with our forwards.

They are wild though, so who knows, I might have to eat these words.

You also had us losing against Romania though didn't you :p
:annoyed: I didn’t say they’ll win! But Güler’s on fire, and they have a really keen eye for attacking. You could be right in easy pickings on the counter, but we’ll see.

Going for Netherlands and Switzerland unless there is a drastic improvement from England. First goal will be key in that match I think. Switzerland in theory should defend better and pose more of a counter attack which Slovakia didn't really have.

I just think Turkey put so much into that Austria game and won it on set pieces that the Dutch will be very aware of that.

England will go out. We're crap. Swiss have looked much better. If Southgate shakes things up then england have a chance.

England will go out. We're crap. Swiss have looked much better. If Southgate shakes things up then england have a chance.

England are at least 1 level above Switzerland in terms of players - if just a few of the best English players have a good day, England will win

England are at least 1 level above Switzerland in terms of players - if just a few of the best English players have a good day, England will win
England are about 27 levels above Switzerland on paper. Still, think you'll have a tough match.

England are about 27 levels above Switzerland on paper. Still, think you'll have a tough match.

bit harsh, Swiss keeper and defence are better than England's.

Dan Ndoye will wreak havoc against the England LB.

Not scared by Suisse. Half of their players play in Serie A, I know their value and they are not that good..

In a combined XI England would be present with almost all their players:

Pickford > Sommer
Walker > Stergiou
Guehi < Akanji
Stones > Rodriguez
Trippier > Schar
Rice > Xhaka
Bellingham < Freuler
Foden > Aebischer
Mainoo > Rieder
Saka > Ndoye
Kane > Embolo

+ we have Southgate who is a top coach.

I expect to win honestly.

Not scared by Suisse. Half of their players play in Serie A, I know their value and they are not that good..

Pickford > Sommer
Walker > Stergiou
Guehi < Akanji
Stones > Rodriguez
Trippier > Schar
Rice > Xhaka
Bellingham < Freuler
Foden > Aebischer
Mainoo > Rieder
Saka > Ndoye
Kane > Embolo

Haha, fair play. @Markolan

Pickford > Sommer
Walker > Stergiou
Guehi < Akanji
Stones > Rodriguez
Trippier > Schar
Rice > Xhaka
Bellingham < Freuler
Foden > Aebischer
Mainoo > Rieder
Saka > Ndoye
Kane > Embolo

You really enjoyed that post :lol:

bit harsh, Swiss keeper and defence are better than England's.

Dan Ndoye will wreak havoc against the England LB.
Oh right, Pickford.

Still, purely on paper, England is far far far better than Switzerland.

England should be beating Switzerland 9/10 times. As their records against each other would suggest. It's not an acceptable team to be losing against by any means, the manager and players would deserve absolute pelters.

England at recent tournaments usually have a performance where they comfortably defeat a team that they are expected to, but who are solid enough to also have expected they might make England look bad...Senegal, Iran, Ukraine...Denmark at the last Euro were even better, but I didn't think posed too many issues in the end. They haven't had that yet here and I can see this game going like that, though i'm still betting on another close, ugly England win.

It would be irresponsible on many levels to start him. I was kind of hoping he wouldn’t play in this tournament so that his time with England could be seen as a fitness camp ahead of pre-season.

However if he indeed is fit he will most likely play. Just hope it’s not from the start.

Shaw's alive?!

If he starts, surely (shawly?) he'll last no longer than 60 minutes. Might be worth the gamble.

If shaw is fit , there's no time to manage him back in at the knockout stage . if we want him match fit he has to play . It's sink or swim time .

He knows the position better than anyone , so what we lose in match fitness is offset slightly by not having a player out of position and being better balanced .

If Shaw is fit, there's no time to manage him back in at the knockout stage. If we want him match fit he has to play. It's sink or swim time.

He knows the position better than anyone, so what we lose in match fitness is offset slightly by not having a player out of position and being better balanced.

From a United fan’s point of view, I don’t care about his match fitness for England. What I care about is having an injury-free Shaw at the club’s disposal.

Knowing his (recent) injury history, I wouldn’t be surprised if he suffers a another setback if he plays too much early on.

From a United fan’s point of view, I don’t care about his match fitness for England. What I care about is having an injury-free Shaw at the club’s disposal.

Knowing his (recent) injury history, I wouldn’t be surprised if he suffers a another setback if he plays too much early on.

I know , but I look at it like this , Shaw is unreliable because of his fitness no matter who he plays for . I love him he's a top player when fit .

Despite that , United would be mugs to be planning anything around shaw . We need another left back

I know, but I look at it like this, Shaw is unreliable because of his fitness no matter who he plays for. I love him he's a top player when fit.

Despite that, United would be mugs to be planning anything around Shaw. We need another left back.

Agree. But him not playing in the Euros gives us a better chance of having a fit(ter) Shaw for the start of the season. That’s why I’d prefer him staying on the bench for the whole tournament.

I'm going for a Holland-Switzerland semifinal, though I wouldn't be surprised if England shithouse their way to a 1-0 win.