Press Conference Thread 2013/2014

Do we have one of these today? Colin, you are late, you were supposed to ask this yourself yesterday...

Do we have one of these today? Colin, you are late, you were supposed to ask this yourself yesterday...

:lol: Sorry but I just couldn't resist. Big fan of him and his body of work in this thread.

On topic presser in 20 mins.

His pressers are a big waste of everyone's time, he never answers any of the questions properly. He's a bit of an arse in them truth be told.

More elaborate version from the official club site :

David Moyes is confident his Manchester United squad will benefit from the recent warm-weather training camp during the closing stages of the season.

The Reds flew out to the Middle East following last week's goalless draw with Arsenal and returned on Tuesday, feeling refreshed and ready for action ahead of Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash with Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park.

Speaking to the media at the Aon Training Complex on Friday, Moyes explained why time away with his squad was well spent. "It was great that we had some time together with the players - the first time I've really had the chance to have a few days with the lads.

"We trained and had some relaxation time as well, so it was good. You hope you get some benefit from it. I'm sure it will benefit the players, having the chance to relax. We'd have rather been in the FA Cup, let me tell you that, but we weren't so the next thing we had to do was get them ready for the 12 remaining games."

United's match with the Eagles on Saturday is swiftly followed by a trip to Olympiacos in the UEFA Champions League and, as a result, Moyes is planning to utilise his entire squad with both fixtures in mind. However, the boss isn't taking either game lightly.

"We want to win [against Crystal Palace]," the boss explained. "We have another big game on Tuesday night as well. We play at 17:30 GMT and then again on Tuesday night. That's the way it is but we'll be ready.

"There's a squad here that's always been used to being rotated and used. That's why, lots of times, United have often been strong at the end of the season - they make sure players haven't played every game.

"So when the big games come in the end they have fresh players. We're fortunate with the squad we have here that we’ve been able to do that. We've tried to give everybody an opportunity to show what they can do as well, which is really important when you get a new manager in."

David Moyes has revealed his respect for the work his opposite number at Crystal Palace, Tony Pulis, is undertaking at Selhurst Park.

The Reds face an Eagles side that has been in fine form since Pulis replaced Ian Holloway at the helm, and the United boss realises it will be a difficult test against a club many had written off in terms of retaining their Barclays Premier League status.

"I'd never be disrespectful to any manager because I think Ian Holloway did a brilliant job of bringing them up and getting them going the way they are," explained Moyes at Friday's pre-match press conference. "They have a great crowd behind them.

"However, I think Tony Pulis has showed all his experience. A lot of people were writing Tony off during his time at Stoke City but he hasn't half gone in there and made a few people eat their words. Results are what matter and you have to think about where Crystal Palace were and where they are now. What matters to Tony is results and he's very good at getting them.

"Tony always has his sides well organised and well drilled," added the boss. "The players are made well aware of how he wants them to play and what's expected from them. He's had great success throughout his career. He's been a really successful manager in the Premier League. If he keeps Crystal Palace up, there won't be anybody in this room or any other journalists who'd have thought they'd stay up. He's doing a great job with them."

Anything about who is fit to play or more Rooney bs that no one gives two fecks about

I've just watched it and the whole thing was pointless. Apart from saying there's nothing to confirm on Rooney and that Pulis was doing well at Palace the jist of the rest was:

Journo to Moyes: "David, any injury problems ahead of the match"?

Moyes response: "All clubs get injuries and we are one of those clubs".

End of presser.

I've just watched it and the whole thing was pointless. Apart from saying there's nothing to confirm on Rooney and that Pulis was doing well at Palace the jist of the rest was:

Journo to Moyes: "David, any injury problems ahead of the match"?

Moyes response: "All clubs get injuries and we are one of those clubs".

End of presser.

:lol:

But in all seriousness I really don't think it's in Moyesy's interest to alienate the journos by being overtly terse and rude. They have been largely kind and gentle with him upto now compared with a guy like AVB. They will eventually turn if Dave keeps pissing them off.

His pressers are a big waste of everyone's time, he never answers any of the questions properly. He's a bit of an arse in them truth be told.

Can we get a button when creating a new posts that simply prints "Die Moyes, Die!"? As every page must include an ant-Moyes rant it would save a lot of people a lot of time.

In the first few months of the season he was getting stick for trying to be too nice to the press and people were pining for a bit of the terseness we used to get from Fergie when United were struggling. Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't on here.
I don't know why you came back to RedCafe to face this kind of shite on here!

But in all seriousness I really don't think it's in Moyesy's interest to alienate the journos by being overtly terse and rude. They have been largely kind and gentle with him upto now compared with a guy like AVB. They will eventually turn if Dave keeps pissing them off.

Well that's what he was doing. To perfectly reasonable questions. Like Dalglish was famous for. And you're right he's had an extremely easy ride of it from them so far.

We're happy with the squad. Remember that?

I think that journos are more than fair on him considering that he is barely speaking to them.

In the first few months of the season he was getting stick for trying to be too nice to the press and people were pining for a bit of the terseness we used to get from Fergie when United were struggling. Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't on here.

I can't speak for others but at least for me he wasn't getting stick for being too nice to the journos. What actually dismayed me was his inability to exercise his control over any sort of answer even after being a manager of a decent Premier League club for over a decade. He kept running his mouth off incessantly like it was freaking E! News. That's what Fergie was a genius at. He would be like Jekyll and Hyde, nice enough to be keep them wanting for more but also stern so that they wouldn't dare cross him. It seems sadly the gift of the gob has eluded poor Dave, he always comes across as a guy who speaks before he thinks. And now he's just taken things to the other extreme by being overly cautious and guarded. Needs to learn to balance the two acts.

Can we get a button when creating a new posts that simply prints "Die Moyes, Die!"? As every page must include an ant-Moyes rant it would save a lot of people a lot of time.

The 'anti-Moyes' sentiment is only magnified by drama queens such as yourself and Pogue banging on about how everyone hates the manager at the slightest comment that can be construed to not be in his favour. There is no need for it half the time. There is more than enough actual proper flak for Moyes on here to choose from, but the last few threads I've seen Pogue particularly comment on it have not been examples. We're talking about any hint of discontent at tactics or something and it's 'can't we have a conversation without everyone slagging off the manager'.

Saying Moyes is arsey with journos in his presser and 'die Moyes die' don't even belong in the same paragraph. Get a grip. We get your point.

This is absolutely true.

However I'm amazed the press hasn't turned on him to a larger degree. Look at what AVB faced despite performing much, much better compared to expectations.

Also, I think he's fecked it up a couple of times during interviews by going full-on Hodgson in saying stuff like "we have to make it difficult for them" before facing Newcastle - before subsequently losing at home.

This is absolutely true.

However I'm amazed the press hasn't turned on him to a larger degree. Look at what AVB faced despite performing much, much better compared to expectations.

Also, I think he's fecked it up a couple of times during interviews by going full-on Hodgson in saying stuff like "we have to make it difficult for them" before facing Newcastle - before subsequently losing at home.
The English press have been calling for British managers getting the big jobs for years. I guess that is why he is getting an easy enough ride in the press

This is absolutely true.

A journalist (can't remember which one) was asked on twitter about the different treatment received by AVB and Moyes, to which he replied that sources within Spurs were already briefing against AVB, saying he was in danger. To date, there has been no sign of anything similar at Old Trafford.

A journalist (can't remember which one) was asked on twitter about the different treatment received by AVB and Moyes, to which he replied that sources within Spurs were already briefing against AVB, saying he was in danger. To date, there has been no sign of anything similar at Old Trafford.

Protected by the powers that be, so far, then.

I'm not too fuzzed with whatever soundbites he feeds the press but I wish he sounded a bit more like a winner - since nothing about his attitude or results thus far in his career suggests he is one, I'd imagine the players, fans and people around the club would love it if he at least spoke like one and inspired some confidence in them.

Is Moyes really getting an easy ride though? He's been absolutely crucified over the last month or so. Most of it deserved but still...

Has he? On here, yes, but in the press? I can't see it.

There's been articles that criticizes his approach, but there's been nothing like the sheer takedown pieces the likes of Ashton wrote about AVB, or even some of what a proven winner like Mancini got.

And the questions in the presser's are really, really soft. Might be fear of the trademark United ban but still.

Is Moyes really getting an easy ride though? He's been absolutely crucified over the last month or so. Most of it deserved but still...

Compared to Graham Taylor, Steve McClaren, Kevin Keegan when England manager, Moyes is getting an astonishingly easy ride given results and how completely clueless he comes across.

Just watched it - at the end he's asked a q along the lines of, do you think the Premier League is at its most competitive this season, do you think that will give more chance of making up the 11 points?

His response is: "I don't agree. I think the Premier League have it exactly how they want it."

"What do you mean?"

"I won't answer that."

The f*ck is he on about now?

Compared to Graham Taylor, Steve McClaren, Kevin Keegan when England manager, Moyes is getting an astonishingly easy ride given results and how completely clueless he comes across.
Maybe because he has been in the job for a shorter period of time. Maybe journos tend to be a bit more patient than certain fans (except if you re Ozil of course..:)

I think they have generally been giving him something of an easy ride, but the Fulham game felt like a turning point. That was the first time it seemed his coaching aptitude was called into question, with some sections of the media suggesting he may not actually be capable of turning things around.

Just watched it - at the end he's asked a q along the lines of, do you think the Premier League is at its most competitive this season, do you think that will give more chance of making up the 11 points?

His response is: "I don't agree. I think the Premier League have it exactly how they want it."

"What do you mean?"

"I won't answer that."

The f*ck is he on about now?

The fixture list excuse again? The Premier League happy with United crumbling post-SAF, in fitting with their "narrative"?

I find it hard to believe he said that.

You have to laugh. I'll never judge David Moyes on the basis of his pressers, but they're generally a big waste of time for everyone involved. Same old generic answers to just about every question. "We want to win, we'll do our best, luck will change, hopefully we'll improve, getting players back" etc.

As I said, the pressers doesn't really say anything about a persons managerial ability, but Moyes' pressers are just a whole lot of nothing.

Last edited:
Press conferences are a waste of everyone's time. There are plenty of other valid reasons to criticize Moyes.

You have to laugh. I'll never judge David Moyes on the basis of his pressers, but they're generally a big waste of time for everyone involved. Same old generic answers to just about every question. "We want to win, we'll do our best, luck will change, hopefully we'll improve, getting players back" etc.

As I said, the pressers doesn't really say anything about a persons managerial ability, but Moyes' pressers are just a whole lot of nothing.

You could say the same about every other press conference with
every other manager. They're all as dull and predictable as anything. Very occasionally made interesting by someone coming out with something outright mental like mourinho and his "little horse" nonsense.

http://t.co/Qs2do0qxjv Here you go, final question.

He's a child. I'm yet to criticise his press conferences to any great length. That isn't what I judge him on, rather the amount of games we win and the way in which that is achieved. But he's talking nonsense at the end there. There's a degree of stubbornness, almost arrogance, that radiates from him, at times. It's only a suspicion, but I get the impression that he genuinely believes that he isn't, even partly, at fault for this slump. He's just odd.