Premier League Week 29 5/6 March

Lloris never really convinces, IMO.

Sadly an Arse win is the worst outcome for us so hoping for a few Spurs goals in the second half.

You really think we can make 7 points on Spurs over 10 games?
The way we are playing, we'd do well to get 20 from the last 10.
That'd mean Spurs will have to go on a terrible terrible run to drop out.
Not happening

They have got a heck of a run in, but it would still call for a mental run of wins from us.

Spurs will win it. Arsenal are going to do an Arsenal. Relax

No he is not.

Welbeck is still good at running the channels and holding it up and scoring the occasional goal. But he still has no killer instinct. He was put through and no surprise to anyone, he fecked up his touch.

He is also immense at pressing and closing down opposition defenders. If he plays 90 minutes you can virtually guarantee at least 3 good chances from that closing down.

All the better for Leicester

Arsenal winning here would open up incredible chance for them. If they win tonight they would go 6 clear with home game against Newcastle coming up next.

exactly. this is the one result that does us no good.
Have you seen Spurs fixture list? An under pressure Spurs would be perfect for us imo.
Would you rather face an in form Spurs in a few weeks or a team suffering from a run of bad form?

In many ways Welbeck is the archetypal Van Gaal forward. Good technical and physical qualities. Dynamic anywhere on the front line. I know it's been said to death but if he brushed up his finishing he'd be a top forward. But the fact that part of his game has been lacking for the best part of 5 years suggest he's got a bigger problem to solve than just working on it in training.

Arsenal have looked so dangerous. If a goal was going to come, it was going to come from a counter.

Welbeck has been a constant menace. Could have been a bit more clinical, but his constant movement and running off the ball is causing Spurs a lot of problems.

In many ways Welbeck is the archetypal Van Gaal forward. Good technical and physical qualities. Dynamic anywhere on the front line. I know it's been said to death but if he brushed up his finishing he'd be a top forward. But the fact that part of his game has been lacking for the best part of 5 years suggest he's got a bigger problem to solve than just working on it in training.
So why didn't he fight to keep him? I'm not arguing, but LvG seemed to just let him walk.

Arsenal have looked so dangerous. If a goal was going to come, it was going to come from a counter.

Welbeck has been a constant menace. Could have been a bit more clinical, but his constant movement and running off the ball is causing Spurs a lot of problems.

Same as he was for us then really, all the physical attributes in the world, but just not quite good enough to be a leading team's main striker.

No he wouldn't, he's miles off Sturridge's quality and has a similar injury record, he's not better than Coutinho or Firmino either. I fail to see what's so special about him, this half sums him up perfectly imo.

To be fair, I reckon Klopp would love Welbz.

He's just come back from injury and in about 90 minutes scored against the league leaders and us in a massive game. He also played a big part in this goal.

We made a mistake selling him. Oh well, good luck to the lad.

So why didn't he fight to keep him? I'm not arguing, but LvG seemed to just let him walk.

I can understand a bit of regret at Hernandez, as he's scoring stacks of goals, in a season we score hardly any. Although I'm comfortable with that as we wouldn't have given him nearly as many opportunities.

But I don't get the continual Welbeck regret. He's gone to a better team, and hardly ripped it up, and I mean last season, as obviously he's been out for most of this season.
If he scored 20 in a season (won't happen), I'd fear for the safety of some people on here

Same as he was for us then really, all the physical attributes in the world, but just not quite good enough to be a leading team's main striker.

Giroud scores a good amount of goals, and is a decent finisher, despite not scoring for quite a while, but if he started today, he wouldnt have made nowhere the impact Welbeck has.

Obviously, a striker needs to score goals, but if he makes the team on a whole look more dangerous, then I dont see the problem. We scored the most amount of goals in the league with Welbz up top, with him scoring only 10 goals.

Come on, Spurs - I don't think I can take another Arsenal Away Boyz vid.

Fergie could best out of him. He'd arrange the team around the strength and weaknesses of the individuals. Welbeck is world class in some areas but ordinary in others. If you can draw the best out of him, he's a huge asset to the side. Van Gaal's philosophy is too constrained to fit in anybody who doesn't fit a particular mould. It's no surprise that a manager like Wenger has played him in EVERY SINGLE match he's been fit for since he was signed.

I can only guess but we were stacked with a lot of attacking options when he arrived and Welbeck was the least proven. Not having CL football meant less game time for everyone.

There have been whispers that the club wanted him to go on loan but he was adamant to leave in the end.

But if they lose we'd be just four points behind second place.

For me personally...1. draw, 2. arsenal, 3. tottenham
I'd rather chose to be 1 point off fourth than be 3 points off fourth and 4 points off second but i understand you.

Fergie could best out of him. He'd arrange the team around the strength and weaknesses of the individuals. Welbeck is world class in some areas but ordinary in others. If you can draw the best out of him, he's a huge asset to the side. Van Gaal's philosophy is too constrained to fit in anybody who doesn't fit a particular mould. It's no surprise that a manager like Wenger has played him in EVERY SINGLE match he's been fit for since he was signed.
No he hasn't.

I can only guess but we were stacked with a lot of attacking options when he arrived and Welbeck was the least proven. Not having CL football meant less game time for everyone.

There have been whispers that the club wanted him to go on loan but he was adamant to leave in the end.
Van Gaal forced him out, just like he did with Hernandez.

This post explains it. I've heard something similar.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/danny-welbeck-2015-16.414644/page-3#post-18854074

I loved Danny Welbeck and was gutted when we sold him. I think his all round game is fantastic and we could still really do with him.

His finishing isn't consistent enough to be the main striker at a club that wants to win Titles though.

Anyway, Spurs crossing today has been woeful. It's like watching Bebe swinging them in all over again.

Yes he has. Not always from the start, but he does always get minutes on the pitch. I made a post a little while ago where I detailed his game time alongside his injuries.
I stand corrected then. But there was certainly a period where Wenger started Giroud over him very regularly. Giroud's in dire form atm, though.

I loved Danny Welbeck and was gutted when we sold him. I think his all round game is fantastic and we could still really do with him.

His finishing isn't consistent enough to be the main striker at a club that wants to win Titles though.

His finishing is shit, he has dodgy technique and his passing and crossing is average at best. How the feck is his all round game fantastic?

Arsenal winning here would open up incredible chance for them. If they win tonight they would go 6 clear with home game against Newcastle coming up next.

For us it sucks, but not for Leicester. Arsenal will find a way to choke like they always do.