Premier League Gameweek 9

There's a clip where he is desperately telling them to move up. I don't think the team trusted Skelley or Kiwior. But you're right, they were there for the taking.
Our best outfield lineup is probably…

Martinelli / Havertz / Saka
Rice / Partey / Odegaard
Califiori / Gabriel / Saliba/ Timber

And we finished the match with only two of those on the pitch. I’m not hugely surprised we tried to hang on to our lead against Liverpool.

Timber and Partey both started THIS game. And Jesus is currently on the pitch.
Do any of them make your strongest 11 though? Obviously Jesus doesn't, but what about the other 2? My point being - they were about as much loss to you as players like Amad and Maguire are to us.

Arteta is a good coach but his cowardice is going to cost Arsenal. I'm sure the excuses will be out again (as they always are with that lot) but they keep doing this in this new era of the team. Played the whole 2nd half like they were down to 10 once again when they were in complete control for most of the first. Liverpool barely played football but when you invite pressure just sitting off a team like that, you deserve to be punished.

Do any of them make your strongest 11 though? Obviously Jesus doesn't, but what about the other 2? My point being - they were about as much loss to you as players like Amad and Maguire are to us.
Yeah, Timber and Partey do. They’re nothing like Amad and Maguire equivalents.

The whole defensive backline is out mate. Even white usually plays RB. I'm sure you know this from the defensive troubles you had last season? How did that work out?

Remind me why playing negative, defensive football with your whole back line out injured is a good way to protect a lead? Arsenal could and should have tried to increase their lead not desperately try and hold onto it.

Will take that. Awful performance but a point away to Arsenal after going behind twice is fine.
Awful performance? Nope.

Disappointing, underwhelming, below par. Yes.

Awful is getting thumped. This was gritty away from home against a very good side, limiting them to a few chances. Dogged it eventually.

Remind me why playing negative, defensive football with your whole back line out injured is a good way to protect a lead? Arsenal could and should have tried to increase their lead not desperately try and hold onto it.
Going defensive so early is always asking for trouble. We saw a good example of that in the CL with Dortmund

Between City and Liverpool for the title. Horrible season
Arsenal are a better team than Liverpool imo, they're just making poor choices at the moment and having a bit of bad luck. I think it's marginal between the three. Even City have looked very shaky.

Arteta is a good coach but his cowardice is going to cost Arsenal. I'm sure the excuses will be out again (as they always are with that lot) but they keep doing this in this new era of the team. Played the whole 2nd half like they were down to 10 once again when they were in complete control for most of the first. Liverpool barely played football but when you invite pressure just sitting off a team like that, you deserve to be punished.

I got killed for saying exactly this and laughed at by Arsenal fans earlier in the season but I stand by it. We (City) will likely be punished and Liverpool will win the league. Arsenal will look back on it as the one that really got away given they are a better team than Liverpool, but a combination of Liverpools (Liverpoolness) and Arteta's over pragmatism will see them win it.

The fact is just like the other big games, one thing goes off and Arteta balked (again), so worried about not losing that he's missing wins.

Just so I’ve understood the question correctly, are you asking why a team would play more conservatively and offer their defence more protection while holding a lead against a top side when none of their first choice defenders are on the pitch and have teenager who has yet to make a league start marking Salah?

Is that the question?

Arteta creates a fraught environment with the histrionics. Too much emotion it seems.

If Arsenal can get all their players back, I think they can win it. City will miss Rodri and Liverpool will fade once Slotts honeymoon ends.

Just so I’ve understood the question correctly, are you asking why a team would play more conservatively and offer their defence more protection while holding a lead against a top side when none of their first choice defenders are on the pitch and have teenager who has yet to make a league start marking Salah?

Is that the question?
Just so I've understood your question correctly, are you asking why Arteta's teams turn into complete cowards even at home, the moment they feel like they're under some pressure, regardless of who's on the pitch?

Is that the question?

I enjoyed Gravenberch kicking the ball into Trossard’s face and the foul given.

Really? If vvd had done the same to an attacker, is that a free kick, or a penalty?
Yeah slapping a player in the face to gain an advantage generally is a foul. Taylor blew up a long way before Havertz got 1v1.

There were worse calls by Taylor than that. He’s an awful referee.
It was even less a foul than West Ham’s ridiculous penalty foul today. You lot are the chosen ones when it comes to referees and their fear of weeks of black armbands and media bollox
Sure why not.

Just so I've understood your question correctly, are you asking why Arteta's teams turn into complete cowards even at home, the moment they feel like they're under some pressure, regardless of who's on the pitch?

Is that the question?
No, it’s not. Cause we don’t. In fact, we had a goal disallowed for the softest of challenges in the build up.

You stating that Arsenal are cowards doesn’t make it so. It just means you’re prone to fits of hyperbole.

Yeah its true I agree, but unlike the Wenger teams of old we got trounced by 4-5 goals in these type of fixtures. People have short term memory and don't remember the several run of games last season where we were scoring 4/5 goals for fun on the bounce. We are obviously capable of doing it, but our current team isn't up to speed and unsettled with injuries. I have no doubt we will be back to our best when players return to fitness, probably too late for the title and again equally shows our weakness on the bench.

No, it’s not. Cause we don’t. In fact, we had a goal disallowed for the softest of challenges in the build up.
If it's the one where the other team stopped playing because the whistle was blown well before the shot, calling that a "disallowed goal" is definitely an interesting take.

Is this your heart ruling your head?
Arsenal seem to finish stronger than Liverpool in the last couple of seasons. Arteta is more experienced than Slott in the PL. I just feel Liverpool will fade and City will miss Rodri. Just my opinion.

Draw was a fair result. Both teams not at their best but you can see the likes of Saka and Salah just fight for everything. Salah was pretty poor but it's annoying to see how persistent he is.

If it's the one where the other team stopped playing because the whistle was blown well before the shot, calling that a "disallowed goal" is definitely an interesting take.
The goal keeper who made a save and the defender sliding on the line seemed to be playing to me, but we can agree to disagree.

He was begging the team to move up the field, twice. You can see it in a clip where he's livid.

He was begging the team to move up the field, twice. You can see it in a clip where he's livid.
Yep. The team naturally dropped our defenders were going down injured. And to be fair to the players, the goal came from Liverpool attacking down our left hand side that now consisted of Kiwior and Lewis-Skelley, as opposed to the Gabriel and Timber duo that had kept Nunez and Salah quiet up until then. It was wasn’t an unwarranted reaction given we were defending a lead.

You’d think from reading this thread that Arteta made negative substitutions or changed to a more defensive formation or something.

Arsenal seem to finish stronger than Liverpool in the last couple of seasons. Arteta is more experienced than Slott in the PL. I just feel Liverpool will fade and City will miss Rodri. Just my opinion.

Balanced view pal with valid points

I wonder if Arteta struggles with the pressure of chasing City though,

Slot hasn’t the experience as it’s his first epl season, but the core structure of Liverpool have the experience, if Slot is anywhere near the elite manager levels I hope (of course being a Liverpool fan) required for this level, perhaps that combined with our core structures experience will prove the difference

Yep. The team naturally dropped our defenders were going down injured. And to be fair to the players, the goal came from Liverpool attacking down our left hand side that now consisted of Kiwior and Lewis-Skelley, as opposed to the Gabriel and Timber duo that had kept Nunez and Salah quiet up until then. It was wasn’t an unwarranted reaction given we were defending a lead.

You’d think from reading this thread that Arteta made negative substitutions or changed to a more defensive formation or something.
Liverpool’s second goal was also very good and something that could’ve happened regardless of personnel or tactical intent

Theo Walcott is a likeable pundit. Much better than the likes of Sturridge.

Agreed

Theo is in general a very likeable chap, speaks well, balanced

Sturridge street talking cringiness is too much, he’s spoken well on a few occasions but often it’s cringe street ghetto like talk

Liverpool’s second goal was also very good and something that could’ve happened regardless of personnel or tactical intent
It was a very good goal. I agree that in terms of tactical intent being a non-factor (that’s kinda the point I’ve been making in my last few posts) but I think personnel makes a huge difference here. Lewis-Skelley is a kid playing out of position (he’s actually a midfielder) and not only plays a somewhat risky ball to Martinelli, but is out of position because he makes a supporting run. That’s all fine when you’re up against a U23 winger, but you let Salah and Nunez get the run on you and it’s all over. You’re then relying on your LCB to bail you out and if that’s Gabriel, you have a decent chance. If it’s Kiwior, those chances are greatly reduced.

Liverpool are a good team and Slot is a talented Manager. I’m disappointed we didn’t hang on (and I’m annoyed that we didn’t get a penalty when Martinelli was wiped out by a challenge from behind) but I’m not particularly shocked at the outcome. Liverpool are more than capable of beating us when we have a full team available, so a draw with a lot of key players unavailable is definitely not the end of the world.