Premier League Gameweek 5

If it seems like an unoriginal rebuttal then maybe take the hint and tone down the bragging about how superior your attacking metrics are when everyone knows you didn't get to that position legitimately.

Regarding the Arsenal vs Liverpool title race that you're alluding, Arsenal finished above them last season despite Liverpool putting everything they had into Klopp's farewell tour. Liverpool are now in a transitional season under a new manager after failing to back him in the transfer market. After City's inevitable points deduction takes effect in a few months, I'm sure Arsenal will have enough quality to finish above Liverpool again, despite their apparent lack of 'stones'.
How we got their doesn't matter, I literally used Liverpool as an example multiple times today.

Liverpool went to AC Milan and had 23 shots, Liverpool went to Old Trafford and had 11. Despite you guys self hatred, two tricky games. 34 attempts on goal.
Arsenal went to Atalanta and Spurs and managed 13 combined. Clearly they don't only park the bus at City.

Better?

How we got their doesn't matter, I literally used Liverpool as an example multiple times today.

Liverpool went to AC Milan and had 23 shots, Liverpool went to Old Trafford and had 11. Despite you guys self hatred, two tricky games. 34 attempts on goal.
Arsenal went to Atalanta and Spurs and managed 13 combined. Clearly they don't only park the bus at City.

Better?
On the bolded part - yes it does matter. You wouldn't have gotten those attacking metrics had you not cheated to get to that position.

Maybe yesterday's shot count doesn't reflect it but I thought Arsenal were an entertaining watch before the red card. They were the better team in the first half and broke with purpose. Unlike their previous game at the Etihad, they weren't parking the bus with 11 men. I can't comment on the Atalanta game as I didn't watch it.

Just had one more look at the first Arsenal goal, and yes zero sympathy. The ball is taken from the right spot and Walker had ample time to get back. He is even doing this, "stay focused" thing to his teammates while walking, which is funny since he switched off. He is actually level with Martinelli, he just has lost track of how far Martinelli was on the wing. The second goal is a bit more questionable, but it was weak play of Ederson too, and again Walker. I dont think there is enough to call that back via VAR, but I have seen them waved off for that by refs.

On the bolded part - yes it does matter. You wouldn't have gotten those attacking metrics had you not cheated to get to that position.

Maybe yesterday's shot count doesn't reflect it but I thought Arsenal were an entertaining watch before the red card. They were the better team in the first half and broke with purpose. Unlike their previous game at the Etihad, they weren't parking the bus with 11 men. I can't comment on the Atalanta game as I didn't watch it.
Do you think Pep would play defensively with the current Arsenal team, do you think Klopp would or Sir Alex/Wenger etc..
They were the better team for about 10 minutes and refused to push on when they were and they should have. They're too good to server that up.

Do you think Pep would play defensively with the current Arsenal team, do you think Klopp would or Sir Alex/Wenger etc..
They were the better team for about 10 minutes and refused to push on when they were and they should have. They're too good to server that up.
There were several occasions where Fergie went to Highbury, Stamford Bridge and Anfield with a more cautious setup than other away games. It actually used to do my head in at Anfield as Liverpool were crap under Benitez and Dalglish and yet we still wouldn't take the game to them. But in those huge derbies, Fergie played the occasion rather than the opposition, and more often than not, it led to a title at the end of the season.

There were several occasions where Fergie went to Highbury, Stamford Bridge and Anfield with a more cautious setup than other away games. It actually used to do my head in at Anfield as Liverpool were crap under Benitez and Dalglish and yet we still wouldn't take the game to them. But in those huge derbies, Fergie played the occasion rather than the opposition, and more often than not, it led to a title at the end of the season.
There's pragmatic and there's arsenal. All their xg yesterday came from 2 corners... And the wonder goal of course. They're a better team than that.

I have to admit (feel sick doing so) but I kind of agree with the Arsenal fan. I thought pep was cowardly in the way he approached that second half. Fergie would have literally had his entire attacking force out there for the entire second half with maybe 1 defender at a push. What was the point in having Dias, Akanji, Walker and Gvardial all on together for a large portion. It was clear Arsenal had absolutely zero counter threat and didn’t intend too. I think that’s the kind of game Utd of old would have got over the line.

I have to admit (feel sick doing so) but I kind of agree with the Arsenal fan. I thought pep was cowardly in the way he approached that second half. Fergie would have literally had his entire attacking force out there for the entire second half with maybe 1 defender at a push. What was the point in having Dias, Akanji, Walker and Gvardial all on together for a large portion. It was clear Arsenal had absolutely zero counter threat and didn’t intend too. I think that’s the kind of game Utd of old would have got over the line.
When for the honour of God did Sir Alex ever play with 1 defender? (by choice)

There was plenty of occasions where we were chasing a goal and threw the kitchen sink at it. Hell even last season Ten hag has a game where Bruno was playing CB just to try and win a game! I just thought pep managed the game badly in that second half and did lack abit of bravery.

There was plenty of occasions where we were chasing a goal and threw the kitchen sink at it. Hell even last season Ten hag has a game where Bruno was playing CB just to try and win a game! I just thought pep managed the game badly in that second half and did lack abit of bravery.
I do think Pep should have make changes sooner but I don't think 1 defender was the solution unless of course you meant 1 CB in which case I totally agree. I'd have liked to see Foden and Grealish earlier and maybe sacrifice one of the back 4 (Dias cause he kept booting the ball into row Z) but def not 3. Pep is always slow to make subs and I guess it works for him more often than not. He's said he thinks subs are usually too slow to get up to speed of the game.

You have to admit there was zero point in keeping Dias on. He hasn't scored in 3 seasons. Our lads even stopped trying to block his shots in the end, and they did not have to respect it. Should have brought Foden on for him pretty much 10 minutes into the half. You complain about Arsenal cowardice, which certainly there is, but I dont see Man City as really throwing any caution to the wind. As soon as Arsenal completely turtled up...it should have been ...bring all your best attackers on. And that part was clear when Saka was taken off at halftime for Bennie.

You have to admit there was zero point in keeping Dias on. He hasn't scored in 3 seasons. Our lads even stopped trying to block his shots in the end, and they did not have to respect it. Should have brought Foden on for him pretty much 10 minutes into the half. You complain about Arsenal cowardice, which certainly there is, but I dont see Man City as really throwing any caution to the wind. As soon as Arsenal completely turtled up...it should have been ...bring all your best attackers on. And that part was clear when Saka was taken off at halftime for Bennie.
Absolutely we might have posted at the same time, I'd have made that sub myself but probably for Lewis but I wouldn't have subbed 3 defenders for attackers or mids with the pace you guys have and despite him being error prone I'd never remove Walker, he was a big reason you couldn't get out on the rare occasion you tried. Thats kinda the thing with Kyle, you have to accept his feck ups for the net gain.

Absolutely we might have posted at the same time, I'd have made that sub myself but probably for Lewis but I wouldn't have subbed 3 defenders for attackers or mids with the pace you guys have and despite him being error prone I'd never remove Walker, he was a big reason you couldn't get out on the rare occasion you tried. Thats kinda the thing with Kyle, you have to accept his feck ups for the net gain.
You definitely needed a couple of guys at the top of the box who are goal threats. Kovacic and Dias were lost (especially the latter). Could have kept Gvardiol and Walker, and taken off Akanji and Dias. And when Foden and Grealish did come on, it was for Doku and Savinho. Sorry, but City made it kinda easy for our defenders for most of those 45 minutes just ticking sideway passes and having shots way off. They were not even crossing to Haaland, who was very peripheral most of the game, other than his early goal.

You definitely needed a couple of guys at the top of the box who are goal threats. Kovacic and Dias were lost (especially the latter). Could have kept Gvardiol and Walker, and taken off Akanji and Dias. And when Foden and Grealish did come on, it was for Doku and Savinho. Sorry, but City made it kinda easy for our defenders for most of those 45 minutes just ticking sideway passes and having shots way off. They were not even crossing to Haaland, who was very peripheral most of the game, other than his early goal.
Haaland isn't as good in the air as people think, and would win very little surrounded by Saliba, Gabriel and Kiwor once they came on. That only works if theres numbers of players who can win headers and Foden, Gundogan, and co. aren't it. Without Rodri in there one man isn't going to do damage against a big back 4 like that in the air, when they're all playing as CB's essentially. Sure it might have caused a bit of chaos or whatever but you'd defend that all day. They either have to play through which try as they did was really hard or rely on someone popping one in from outside the box which usually again is Rodri where Kova was skying them from and he's quite good from that range.

The equaliser came from a corner we refused to cross and you guys were asleep so we played exactly as we tried to all game and it worked.

You think? watch and see come seasons end. Liverpool will be right in the mix, cause they're a team/club who can absolutely do magical things on momentum and courage (much and all as I dislike much of their support). There's a reason shit Liverpool sides can go deep in Europe and win CL's when other clubs can't at their best.

Liverpool has a different manager so no more Klopp man management and their players are clearly past their peak as a unit and as individuals as evidenced by both watching them play and their points total the last 2 seasons.

Liverpool has a different manager so no more Klopp man management and their players are clearly past their peak as a unit and as individuals as evidenced by both watching them play and their points total the last 2 seasons.
They're not an old team or past their peak. New manager for sure but he's come in to a better squad than people think and already has them playing well.

Allison is 31, Trent is 25, VVD 33 (getting on), Konate 25, Robertson 30, McAllister 25, Szobozlai 23, Gravenberch 22, Salah 32, Diaz 27 and Jota 27. Only Salah and VVD are getting on but players don't suddenly need to be thrown in the dustbin anymore at those ages. Not to mention their backups are guys like Gakpo, Nunez, Chiesa, Elliot, Bradley, Gomez, Endo, Tsimikas etc.. they have 4 30+ players in a squad of 25 and ones a goalkeeper and one a CB. The other is still the best winger in the league if not what he once was.

This Liverpool team are closer to coming in to their peak than passing it. Last season was their transition season and they've started this season playing better football than either City or Arsenal despite the Forest blip. They have had a relatively easy start by comparison, particularly compared to you guys (who have had it rough) but they lead the league in xg, xg against and expected points so far and just twatted AC Milan at the San Siro. All metrics suggest they'll be a tougher nut to crack this season.

While I'm always slow to trust givemesport they suggest Liverpool have a younger squad than both City and Arsenal. 25.9 vs Cities 27 and you guys 26.5 and all 3 are in or around the sweet spot where league winners usually sit. And the numbers look about right.
https://www.givemesport.com/average-age-every-premier-league-squad/
Transfermarkt have you guys as the youngest at 25.5 and Liverpool at 26.5 but again my general point is that that all squads are sitting at a pretty good age relatively.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/altersschnitt/wettbewerb/GB1

People look at this Liverpool team as some dads army because of VVD and Salah but they're far from it. Its pretty much a new team Klopp started building a couple of seasons ago. And they have of course regardless of how much it pains me to say it, a mentality that runs right though the club, like when Benitez won a CL with the worst team ever to play a final. Give them momentum and they'll absolutely pounce on it.

I saw VvD struggling a bit last year by season's end. Dun o where Salah will be. Quite frankly Pool arr still a mystery to me how good they are. Their schedule has been pretty relaxed. The one challenging one they should have had, Man Utd completely mucked up and gave away the game. It's too early to tell from what I see.

I saw VvD struggling a bit last year by season's end. Dun o where Salah will be. Quite frankly Pool arr still a mystery to me how good they are. Their schedule has been pretty relaxed. The one challenging one they should have had, Man Utd completely mucked up and gave away the game. It's too early to tell from what I see.
Pains me to say it but we've not been a challenging match for Liverpool for years, they've had a ridiculously easy start but. The easy start can be deceptive because it allows you to build momentum before the tricky fixtures start coming thick and fast.

Yeah, I'm not sure either. They have played a soft schedule overall and they've had good health during a period without a lot of fixtures. They have looked good but its been a very friendly period without much challenge or adversity.

Liverpool's league campaign benefited a lot from playing Europa League last year in terms of the ability to rest VVD and Salah midweeks. I don't think VVD started a European game until April. A big unknown with Liverpool is whether those two guys can maintain a high level at their age if they're trying to play every league match and almost all CL matches too.

They're not an old team or past their peak. New manager for sure but he's come in to a better squad than people think and already has them playing well.

Allison is 31, Trent is 25, VVD 33 (getting on), Konate 25, Robertson 30, McAllister 25, Szobozlai 23, Gravenberch 22, Salah 32, Diaz 27 and Jota 27. Only Salah and VVD are getting on but players don't suddenly need to be thrown in the dustbin anymore at those ages. Not to mention their backups are guys like Gakpo, Nunez, Chiesa, Elliot, Bradley, Gomez, Endo, Tsimikas etc.. they have 4 30+ players in a squad of 25 and ones a goalkeeper and one a CB. The other is still the best winger in the league if not what he once was.

This Liverpool team are closer to coming in to their peak than passing it. Last season was their transition season and they've started this season playing better football than either City or Arsenal despite the Forest blip. They have had a relatively easy start by comparison, particularly compared to you guys (who have had it rough) but they lead the league in xg, xg against and expected points so far and just twatted AC Milan at the San Siro. All metrics suggest they'll be a tougher nut to crack this season.

While I'm always slow to trust givemesport they suggest Liverpool have a younger squad than both City and Arsenal. 25.9 vs Cities 27 and you guys 26.5 and all 3 are in or around the sweet spot where league winners usually sit. And the numbers look about right.
https://www.givemesport.com/average-age-every-premier-league-squad/
Transfermarkt have you guys as the youngest at 25.5 and Liverpool at 26.5 but again my general point is that that all squads are sitting at a pretty good age relatively.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/altersschnitt/wettbewerb/GB1

People look at this Liverpool team as some dads army because of VVD and Salah but they're far from it. Its pretty much a new team Klopp started building a couple of seasons ago. And they have of course regardless of how much it pains me to say it, a mentality that runs right though the club, like when Benitez won a CL with the worst team ever to play a final. Give them momentum and they'll absolutely pounce on it.

Squad age doesn't really matter. It's age of key players and VVD and Salah are very clearly past their prime. And Pool doesn't look, on the field, capable of winning the league this year. To me it still looks like either City or if they get punished or can't handle Rodri being out the season then Arsenal will win.

Yeah, I'm not sure either. They have played a soft schedule overall and they've had good health during a period without a lot of fixtures. They have looked good but its been a very friendly period without much challenge or adversity.
'Soft' doesn't even begin to describe it. It's like they were allowed to choose their first five games and whether they play home or away.

Squad age doesn't really matter. It's age of key players and VVD and Salah are very clearly past their prime. And Pool doesn't look, on the field, capable of winning the league this year. To me it still looks like either City or if they get punished or can't handle Rodri being out the season then Arsenal will win.
They look great on the pitch, they are top of the league on every metric (despite having some easy games compared to City and Arsenal) Highest expected goals, best expected goal against and top for expected points. 2nd top scorers and only 1 conceded which was a worldie from CHO. Sleep on them at your peril especially cause of the easy start and the fact they're allowed gain momentum like they have.

They don't have a crazy tough game bar maybe a rejuvenated Chelsea till they go to you guys end of next month so should be sitting on probably 9 more points (Wolves away, Palace away, Chelsea at home) before they head to you guys. Theres a good chance that weekend they could be top heading there if Rodri-less City struggle with Newcastle (where we have struggled without him).

They could well travel to you guys with the table looking like.
Liverpool 21/24
City 19-22/24
Arsenal 20/24
And if anyone is capable of winning at you guys its them, probably by some deflection in the 97th minute as they so often tend to do.
I'm not even kidding when I say despite the fact you are a better team I genuinely hope you beat them. They're the one club that live rent free in my head because they feed off momentum more than anyone I've ever seen. I can admit it now Dumbstar has left the site. I wouldn't underestimate them at all, that game at the Emirates will be huge, Especially given we're likely getting docked 100 points or something. If they come through the Chelsea, Leipzig, Arsenal week top of the table, its gonna suck.

Last edited: