Premier League Gameweek 11

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'm not sure that's a real rule. I don't recall seeing any mention of the direction of the ball in the bit about offside in the rules of the game.
Whether it's mentoned or not I have no idea, I know it's something referees have been using since I started watching football

wr8_utd

:'(
I can see green between the ball and the white line.
That doesn't prove that all of the ball was over the line given the spherical nature of a football. They really ought to have the kind of technology and camera angles that Serie A have though.

bstb3

Yeah but you are looking from the wrong angle under the curvature of the ball. It's genuinely not possible from that angle, so giving the benefit of the doubt is correct. Which is why it's so dumbfounding they didn't do the same for Garnacho against Brighton.

Cpt Negative

If they don't have any other angle then shouldn't this be enough to rule it out?
Exactly - that’s what made the decision at Brighton a disgrace. There was no conclusive proof either went out - so have to stick with on field decision

Bobski

Because it makes too much sense to do that and the game is run by people who don't have any.
It is just dumb the whole thing. Other sports use it for specific things or times, most of those sports have natural stoppages to the game that allows the tech not to have severe consequences to the flow of the game, football go all in and are. making it up week by week.

Why was fixing the human element not the focus, bring that standard up then slowly introduce tech through careful trialing

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
:lol: angles and spheres are difficult ey?

If the camera was straight down the line and you could see grass between ball and line that's fine. But the camera is at a stupid angle so you would be able to see grass even if about 1/4, maybe even 1/2 on the line.

Bobski

Why is he stopping the game for a shoulder, just let him walk off the pitch FFS.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I'm not sure that's a real rule. I don't recall seeing any mention of the direction of the ball in the bit about offside in the rules of the game.
It is the rule.

Remember that goal Sancho scored against Chelsea on the break where Rashford was doing Rashford things and standing offside, so Sancho couldn't pass to him.

Withnail

That's the gap between the base of the ball and the line. The base of the ball isn't the part of the ball that is furthest forward.

You'd need a 3D image with a line drawn down from the centre of the ball to accurately tell.

acnumber9

You're seeing the gap between the base of the ball and the line. The ball is much closer to the line than it appears to be. It's so close it would be ridiculous to rule out a goal over it.
The problem as always, is consistency. You can’t have them saying it’s impossible to tell on some and then guessing for others.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Arteta has an Havertz equalizer fantasy in his head and will not let anything gets in the way

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The problem as always, is consistency. You can’t have them saying it’s impossible to tell on some and then guessing for others.
Either way it's always guessing, they guessed it didn't go out now, they guessed it did with Garnacho. It's the shitty grey area of football we're forced to accept

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Would this goal have been given if it was us? Would it feck
My favorite part of lurking here is seeing this board turn every event of every other game into a pity party about man utd. :lol:

The Firestarter

That's not out according to the rules. It is out if you imagine looking from the top of the ball and you can see green between the ball and the line. Basically the projection of the circumference of the ball onto the pitch.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
The way things are going, this sort of statement reads less like a conspiracy theory each week. Anyone know how good Sir Whatshisface is at bribes?
You are up against a country which actively promotes modern slavery and another country that butchers journalists and pack them into suitcase. Do you think these people ego will let them lose football matches? Any game that involves City and Newcastle will have decisions which will look odd. That sequence of checks would have resulted in no goal if it was Arsenal or Manutd.

This was not even checked

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/s/1dLL5c3wdv

acnumber9

Either way it's always guessing, they guessed it didn't go out now, they guessed it did with Garnacho. It's the shitty grey area of football we're forced to accept
I assume you’re referring to the Rashford one against Brighton? That’s the point though, they shouldn’t be guessing. If they aren’t sure it went out, play on.

Sparky Rhiwabon

If they’re saying they can’t conclusively tell whether the ball is out of play, why bother including that in the VAR check?

acnumber9

My favorite part of lurking here is seeing this board turn every event of every other game into a pity party about man utd. :lol:
We’ve literally had a goal disallowed in the same circumstances this season.