Predict our top summer 2025 transfer targets

I believe Harry has an optional 1 year extension, I can see this being triggered. It would also make sense if we plan on giving game time to one of our youth players. You don't want to end up with 4 fairly young CB and no pathway for the youth.

Also a similar approach for LB, Amass is coming through and will need game time. We don't want another young player blocking his path.

Hopefully Antony & Rashford will leave the club, Garnacho moves to LW and we bring in some cover.

Ericksen leaving on a free and hopefully selling Casemiro, will leave a big hole in midfield. Mount's fitness could also be a factor. Which will mean 2 midfielders at least.

Maybe another go at Sesko? He'll want to be 1st choice, so where does that leave Hojlund & Zerkzee.

Players that will be free in summer 2025 and we could potentially target: Sané, Jonathan David, Kimmich, Tah, Mitchell, Gomes, Dumfries, DCL, Alex Meret (sell Bayindir?). Most of these players are 25+ but could provide good squad depth.

I’m repeating a lot of what is said, but will feed my inner muppet

DL : Udogie, Hincapie, Kerkez or Ait Nouri (checks Dorgu YouTube)
- Shaw can’t be relied on
- if we are building for the future, not the present, a 31yr old Shaw wount be a first team option.

DC : Branthwaite
- there’s too much noise around him and the fact we might have wanted 3 DCs.
- helps the EN quota
- allows us to play 3 at the back

MC : Ederson, Wharton, (insert breakout star)
- we need bodies and options

Elite AML/R : Kvara, Rodrygo, Raphinha, Musiala
- some X Factor to excit the fans and worry the opposition
- at an age to consistently produce
- a talisman to spearhead an attacking roster

AML/R depth - Gordon, Eze, Odobert, Diaby, Tel
- motivate current roster to improve bottom level performance.
- possibly fill EN quota
- reasonable wage allowing us to cut loses.

Sprinkle in some Argentinian youth players or off the wall free transfers.

I also want to see potential for ongoing turn over by being strict on contracts. So we can avoid players coming in and sticking around for years, ala Lindelof, sancho, antony

A new manager. It's difficult to care about the rest until then. But a winger, a midfielder, and a left back are mandatory.

I hope we bring Angel Gomes back but I also like Wharton. No idea on a potential left back but we might not need one depending on the trajectory of the three we have.
Need to go big on a goal scoring wide player as I can’t see us signing another striker yet we desperately need goals.
I think it would be a nice story. But would he compliment Mainoo in terms of a midfield roster? I don’t know his performances but he strikes me as having similiar issues with stamina.

Somebody like Ederson would bring in stamina, covering ground, agressions. I think we lack that in the #8 area of the pitch.

Oh give over, the season's barely started yet and you're already talking about next summer.

Stop wishing your lives away.
True, but I guess the mindset is that we need to facilitate the deals well in advance so we have a head start on any rivals.

CM - Wharton

I think midfield will still be the key area for us to strengthen even next season. Eriksen's contract will be done and I think Casemiro's comes to an end as well so we will need reinforcements here. Wharton seems to be everyone's favourite so I'll go with that as well and he's a good player from what I've seen.

CB - Diomande

With Evans and Victor leaving and maybe even Maguire sold, we'll need one who can potentially start but also be on the bench and add some depth. Diomande seems like the right profile to me and he's from Sporting (which usually seems to work out for us).

LB - Alphonso Davies

I don't think he's signed a new contract with Bayern yet and his current one expires in 2025. With Shaw getting on in years and the injuries mounting and Malacia not featuring at all, this is a priority position and we could get Davies without paying a huge amount.

I don't think there'd be more than that, just a few more young players with high potential maybe.

We will sign two number 10s, a centre back and continue playing Rashford as a winger and the cycle repeats itself and we'll finish 6th.

I woke up optimistic.

Seeing lots of calls for Branthwaite. Not sure he’d come here now to warm the bench for half a season. Think we will keep Maguire as 4th choice CB.

LB
CM
Goal scorer - don’t care what position, striker or wing - we desperately need goals.

Yep totally agree one or the other and maybe we bring Angel Gomes back
I Think this will be good:

In :
Locko (Brest ) 15 Mio Euro
Ederson (Atalanta) 50 mio Euro
Garner ( Everton ) 15 mio Euro
Branthwaite (Everton) 40 mio Euro
Eze ( Palace ) 68 Mio Euro

Out:
Casemiro 20 mio hopefully
Antony 15 mio
Malacia 8 mio
Lindelöf 10 mio
Eriksen 10 mio
Evans …
(Mount ) 30 mio

————— Hojlund (Zirkzee)———————-

Eze/Rashy—Bruno(Eze)—-Garnacho/Amad

——Ugarte(Garner)————Mainoo
——(Collyer)————(Ederson, Kone?)

Shaw—Licha——de Ligt—Dalot
(Locko)(branthwaite)(Yoro)(Mazzraoui)

——————Onana—————————

Would be a decent Team I guess

Angel Gomes for free
Adam Wharton for 45 mil + add-ons

Goodbye Eriksen and Casemiro

Gomes is being overhyped via recency bias. He's 24, never seriously played in the EPL, has two England caps against mediocre opposition and plays for a mid-rate French club.

Yes, I know Yoro played for them, too, but he's years younger than Gomes.

So, 250k a week and a seven million signing on fee it is.

Impossible at this stage unless you just mean positions.

If we have a bad season I think it really hurts us (finally) in our ability to sign players. The name of the club can only carry us so far.

A little bit early to be doing this, but LB and CM are clear holes in the squad and should be priority positions. After that, we need more goals so another wide forward would be ideal.

It obviously depends on player performances this year, but I think we’ll aim for another 4-5 players in the summer again.

We never do anything in January, so unless someone that we can’t lose out becomes available or some under the radar signing appears, I think we’ll be quiet until next year.

A little bit early to be doing this, but LB and CM are clear holes in the squad and should be priority positions. After that, we need more goals so another wide forward would be ideal.

It obviously depends on player performances this year, but I think we’ll aim for another 4-5 players in the summer again.

We never do anything in January, so unless someone that we can’t lose out becomes available or some under the radar signing appears, I think we’ll be quiet until next year.
Or when someone on a weak position like Hojlund gets injured for months we maybe do something in january

I expect we'll be looking at a winger and a striker. Players I'd expect not necessarily want

Winger - Coman on a value deal because Bayern arent playing him
Striker - Lautaro Martinez for the majority of budget

Then Nypan for the longer term

I think we will go after Branthwaite (Lindelof and Maguire to leave), Wharton, Gomes and Eze.

Maybe a goalkeeper depending how Onana does this season and if ETH is still here (Probably not) so I will say Costa too.

Some stardust in the forward line, like Kvara wide left or Palmer wide right. Would INEOS be willing to push the boat out for players of this quality?

CB: Branthwaite £50m
OUT: Maguire/Lindelöf/Evans = £30m
= De Ligt, Yoro, Martinez, Branthwaite
SPENT= £20m

LB: Robinson £30m
OUT: Shaw = £20m
= Robinson, Malacia, Amass
SPENT = £10m

CM: Wharton 50m
CM: Angel Gomes 0m
OUT: Casemiro, Eriksen = £20m
= Kobbie, Ugarte, Wharton, Gomes, Eze
SPENT = £30m

ACM: Musiala/Wirtz £75m (1 year left on Musialas contract)
OUT: Mount = £35M
= Bruno, Musiala/Wirtz
SPENT = £40m

Wing: Kvaratskhelia £80m
Wing: Nico Williams £40m
OUT: Antony, Sancho, Rashford = £100 (20+25+55)
= Garnacho, Amad, N. Williams, Kvaratskhelia
SPENT: 20m

TOTAL SPENT= £120m

....yes I am dreaming myself to a world where we could pick and chose and not care about the reality, financial rules etc etc
... and NO i dont believe in any of these transfer that are not British, so perhaps Branthwaite, Wharton, Gomes and Eze - and if we could get those four, it would be a huge upgrade if we can get rid of Lindelöf, Maguire, Eriksen, Casemiro, Sancho (done deal)

...but I have to admit that the team above would be amazing and would probably take us back to fighting for the big titles again. One can always dream!
I'm with you.

I Think this will be good:

In :
Locko (Brest ) 15 Mio Euro
Ederson (Atalanta) 50 mio Euro
Garner ( Everton ) 15 mio Euro
Branthwaite (Everton) 40 mio Euro
Eze ( Palace ) 68 Mio Euro

Out:
Casemiro 20 mio hopefully
Antony 15 mio
Malacia 8 mio
Lindelöf 10 mio
Eriksen 10 mio
Evans …
(Mount ) 30 mio

————— Hojlund (Zirkzee)———————-

Eze/Rashy—Bruno(Eze)—-Garnacho/Amad

——Ugarte(Garner)————Mainoo
——(Collyer)————(Ederson, Kone?)

Shaw—Licha——de Ligt—Dalot
(Locko)(branthwaite)(Yoro)(Mazzraoui)

——————Onana—————————

Would be a decent Team I guess
Rather have Angel on a free than James Garner or maybe both ?

CB: Branthwaite £50m
OUT: Maguire/Lindelöf/Evans = £30m
= De Ligt, Yoro, Martinez, Branthwaite
SPENT= £20m

LB: Robinson £30m
OUT: Shaw = £20m
= Robinson, Malacia, Amass
SPENT = £10m

CM: Wharton 50m
CM: Angel Gomes 0m
OUT: Casemiro, Eriksen = £20m
= Kobbie, Ugarte, Wharton, Gomes, Eze
SPENT = £30m

ACM: Musiala/Wirtz £75m (1 year left on Musialas contract)
OUT: Mount = £35M
= Bruno, Musiala/Wirtz
SPENT = £40m

Wing: Kvaratskhelia £80m
Wing: Nico Williams £40m
OUT: Antony, Sancho, Rashford = £100 (20+25+55)
= Garnacho, Amad, N. Williams, Kvaratskhelia
SPENT: 20m

TOTAL SPENT= £120m

....yes I am dreaming myself to a world where we could pick and chose and not care about the reality, financial rules etc etc
... and NO i dont believe in any of these transfer that are not British, so perhaps Branthwaite, Wharton, Gomes and Eze - and if we could get those four, it would be a huge upgrade if we can get rid of Lindelöf, Maguire, Eriksen, Casemiro, Sancho (done deal)

...but I have to admit that the team above would be amazing and would probably take us back to fighting for the big titles again. One can always dream!
Nobody’s paying us 30m for Maguire.

I'm hoping we try for Sverre Nypan in January, he looks a promising talent.

The rest I think will be a mix of names mentioned.

LB - Kerkez/Robinson
CB - Branthwaite
CM - Wharton
A lot of people saying Branthwaite. If he's added, who between him, Martinez, De Light, and Yoro is the 4th CB? Seems like he'd be too expensive for a 4th option, but the others don't really work either.

Also, Robinson will be 28 by the start of next season. While he may have a couple good years left, I don't really see how he fits our timeline. I suppose it works if he's just a placeholder until Amass is ready.

CB- Branthwaite
LB- Leif Davis
CDM- Wharton

No idea who are primary target will be for the forward line. We'll likely try and move Antony on but a signing may depend on if we are successful.

I would expect Maguire, Lindelof, Evans, Eriksen to all leave on a free as their contracts expire. Hopefully we can shift Casemiro but not guaranteed.

Actually, it wouldn't be a surprise if we don't go for Wharton given how we are unlikely to generate much funds next year through sales. So we'll likely be limited to 1-2 big signings and that will likely be Branthwaite and a forward (should Antony go). Wharton may be too expensive for us, and we could go for someone like Gomes on a free and try to promote Kone.

CB- Branthwaite
LB- Leif Davis
CDM- Wharton

No idea who are primary target will be for the forward line. We'll likely try and move Antony on but a signing may depend on if we are successful.

I would expect Maguire, Lindelof, Evans, Eriksen to all leave on a free as their contracts expire. Hopefully we can shift Casemiro but not guaranteed.

Actually, it wouldn't be a surprise if we don't go for Wharton given how we are unlikely to generate much funds next year through sales. So we'll likely be limited to 1-2 big signings and that will likely be Branthwaite and a forward (should Antony go). Wharton may be too expensive for us, and we could go for someone like Gomes on a free and try to promote Kone.
Have to disagree with this take. As I said in the post right before yours, if we sign Branwaithe it's him/MDL/Licha/Yoro for two spots. What sense does that make for him to be one of our big money signings?

Also, I'd bet dollars to donuts we add an attacker regardless of Anthony's situation, particularly over a 4th CB. You've got to score at some point.

Lastly, we ended this window with a fair amount of PSR breathing room due to Sancho. We should fairly easily be able to spend ~£150M net, so I think we're looking at 3 signings in the £40-50M range or 2 if we're looking more expensive. We've gotten a ton off the books.

Looking at the current United squad I am confident that the rebuilding will be nearly complete next season with the following ins/outs:

LB: Shaw (OUT), Theo Hernandez (IN)
LW: Rashford (OUT), Kvicha Kavratskela (IN)
CM: Eriksen and Casemiro (OUT), Adam Wharton (IN)

In addition, we should get rid of Maguire and Lindelof to free up wages.

Nico Williams would be the dream signing for me.

Prediction: another attempt at Baranthwaite.

A LB, a CM, and a top quality attacker. Tyler Dibling has looked good, but will be expensive by the end of the season if he keeps going like he’s started the first couple of games

Have to disagree with this take. As I said in the post right before yours, if we sign Branwaithe it's him/MDL/Licha/Yoro for two spots. What sense does that make for him to be one of our big money signings?

Also, I'd bet dollars to donuts we add an attacker regardless of Anthony's situation, particularly over a 4th CB. You've got to score at some point.

Lastly, we ended this window with a fair amount of PSR breathing room due to Sancho. We should fairly easily be able to spend ~£150M net, so I think we're looking at 3 signings in the £40-50M range or 2 if we're looking more expensive. We've gotten a ton off the books.
Branthwaite is a club target and I'm quite certain we will go back for him next season. Also, 4 CBs is not a lot. City have Dias, Stones, Gvardiol, Akanji and Ake. Arsenal have Saliba, Gabriel, Calafiori, Timber, White. There are players in there who are capable of playing FB based on tactics and with Branthwaite, Yoro and Martinez we'd have similar options.

Another thing to keep in mind is if ETH is the manager then yes Martinez would be the default first choice. But if there's a new manager, it's not inconceivable that Martinez falls down the pecking order. I like his personality and he's a good player, but as I've stated on here before, I don't think he's as good as some on here make him out to be. So he could no longer be an automatic starter next season based on who's the manager.

I don't know about how much room we have with PSR, and I hope we do get an attacker but keeping in mind the likes of Fletcher, Wheatley and Chido-Martin coming through next year, I think we'll only sign a forward if Antony leaves.

Branthwaite is a club target and I'm quite certain we will go back for him next season. Also, 4 CBs is not a lot. City have Dias, Stones, Gvardiol, Akanji and Ake. Arsenal have Saliba, Gabriel, Calafiori, Timber, White. There are players in there who are capable of playing FB based on tactics and with Branthwaite, Yoro and Martinez we'd have similar options.

Another thing to keep in mind is if ETH is the manager then yes Martinez would be the default first choice. But if there's a new manager, it's not inconceivable that Martinez falls down the pecking order. I like his personality and he's a good player, but as I've stated on here before, I don't think he's as good as some on here make him out to be. So he could no longer be an automatic starter next season based on who's the manager.

I don't know about how much room we have with PSR, and I hope we do get an attacker but keeping in mind the likes of Fletcher, Wheatley and Chido-Martin coming through next year, I think we'll only sign a forward if Antony leaves.
I think some of the guys you listed are more pure FBs than anyone we have, but fair enough. I see your point.

On the attackers, I don't think Wheatley and Fletcher are worth making big plans around. And Obi-Martin is still probably too far away to be a major factor for several years. I think we'll look to see who impresses of all the young players, and add a big name in one of the attacking spots where there's not been enough progress.

I think Martinez would be first choice under basically any manager, but I agree with the rest.

You just have to look at how often we need to bring off a defender to see why having several ~£50m centre halves is a good idea.

As to PSR, I think we're fine there, but it's clear that we want a more lean squad. We sold a lot of bloat and are down to 22 first team players. I imagine we'll have a one in one out policy next year.