Pre-season friendly Manchester United - Borussia Dortmund

It could be worse, that game could have been something else apart from a preseason kick about

It's pre-season, means nothing. It's no sign of how the season will pan out, LVG's relatively good pre-seasons is a determinate to that.

Not only did they have better reserve players, they were also better as a team. United looked like they lacked the chemistry that the Dortmund players had. It doesn't help that they have more fitness under their belt and were sharper than us, and made far fewer mistakes.

We got thrashed, and it's a bit humbling, definitely. But I hope Jose sorts things out before the season begins, and that our better players make a better team playing better football than the dross that was doled out today.

Positives: Bailly the standout. Good to see Shaw getting into tackles and making the runs. Mata showed some grit there, and Mkhi got his first. Januzaj and Rashford both looked bright.
Negatives: Johnstone, Depay. Rojo, Jones were all very poor. Herrera, Lingard had underwhelming games.

It's pre-season, means nothing. It's no sign of how the season will pan out, LVG's relatively good pre-seasons is a determinate to that.

LVG's 1st pre season was really great in terms of results and performances and then when the season actually started we were so shit.

Dembele and Mor going to be big names in near future. Shaw, Bailly, Rashford and Mkhitaryan all solid. Mata and Herrera invisible. Rojo a liability. Everyone else pretty poor but Januzaj had one or two nice touches

We would all be praising Mourinho and saying how good we are if we'd won 4-1.

Meh it's only pre season, Not fussed one bit. The fringe players did themselves no favours though too much dross in the squad.

We would all be praising Mourinho and saying how good we are if we'd won 4-1.

If we would have won with those players and the amount of time they've all had together... then it would've been one helluva performance. But as most people say, this wasn't really that unexpected

Players I feel confident of being part of the first team were alright today. Players that I expect to be squad/bit part players were utter crap. Though I suppose being just our 2nd pre-season game in such humid conditions, the result isn't a surprise.

Bit disappointing, but not worried about the result.
Did little going forward.
Dortmund clearly much fitter and sharper than us (their 5th game, our 2nd) particularly in the heat, we looked shattered after about 20 minutes

Bailly and Shaw showed some good stuff, the rest were quite poor
Winning pre-season friendlies hasn't helped us much over the last 3 summers anyway

To be fair, we played our best stuff under LVG during our pre-seasons. If Mourinho's going to turn things around I can't wait for the season proper to begin.

Well I hope that totally substandard performance was because we couldn't be arsed with it and not because that's the real level of some of those players. Meaningless match but there's no excuse to get humiliated like that, shake them up José.

If that results sees Jones, Valencia, Memphis go elsewhere sold/loan. So be it. All terrible and have been for a while.

Why do we play these stupid tour games anyway.

Should stay in Europe or at least play a couple of easy games before going.
Money, money and more money. The last time we went eastwards the results weren't great and that was against local sides. Moyes found that out. Much prefer the workouts in the US. At least any weight gained by the players should have disappeared. Not sure if that even applies nowadays as they look after themselves better in general.

Hm, I think that Emre Mor looks pretty good or Dembele, I've not decided yet. I'm sure we'll go 50/50 with Bayern getting Dembele and us getting Mor.
Youre better go to get yourself a scoutsystem otherwise you will keep it in thatway that everytime you watch us playing with your mouth open you start a player-thread in the transferforum and pray that you get him. :lol:

Meh it's only pre season, Not fussed one bit. The fringe players did themselves no favours though too much dross in the squad.

Every year people say sell the dross/ deadwood and get excited by the new players.

Then they say the new players are dross/ deadwood the next season.

Some may need to leave but pre-season in China is not the place to decide.

Johnstone - okay for 3rd choice keeper
Romero - feck off your shite

Valencia - it's on like donkey Kong, feck off
McNair - why you still here
Bailly - calm the feck down lad
Jones - shite, better than Rojo
Rojo - shite, worse than Jones
Shaw - good to have you back lad

Blind - did well
Herrera - need to offer more going forward
Pereira - keep it up lad

Mkhitaryan - new surroundings
Memphis - bollocks
Lingard - bigger load of bollocks
Young - biggest load of bollocks I've seen
Mata - good but needs to be more creative
Januzaj - good, keep it up
Rashford - keep putting in work

Fantasy Girl says: You wont get any of them, cause Mou+Ibra+Co wont bring you salvation. Nobody will believe the fairy tail of the "biggest club" anymore and the other pullfactor called money wont attract great players. They want to play fantastic football, that they get at us, not at United.
Well done mate you won a friendly. Enjoy your moment.:lol:

Second game of the pre-season and we're fecked already??

C'mon guys relax! Jose's got this.

Players are playing for their futures. I can bet you that the first 25 will look a lot different to what we have now come August. I'm not in the slightest bit worried or upset about the result, knowing who we have still to make an appearance.

No one should give a feck about the performance and the result. Sure, the performance was shite, but it means feck all. It's all about imroving the players' physical condition and Dortmund are clearly ahead in their preparations. It really showed.

Oh and this Slig guy is like a teenage schoolgirl that's just got her first period and hates everything and everyone as a result. It's not even remotely amusing.

Youre better go to get yourself a scoutsystem otherwise you will keep it in thatway that everytime you watch us playing with your mouth open you start a player-thread in the transferforum and pray that you get him. :lol:
Only time people will be watching Dortmund is when they play Bayern so you won't have to worry too much about all those transfer threads.

Absolutely appalling performance today! Bloody sickening watching that sorry display, I have to be honest...
Mourinho would want to cop on and set us up a lot better than that when the competitive matches come around or he'll be facing the boot again. We also need to sell at least half the players that played today, I'm sorry but it's the truth. Enraged is an understatement!:mad:

Did I get you? It's a pre-season friendly for Gods Sake! hahaha

I don´t know what I find more amusing, the amount of overreactions or how often this really tiring "herp derp Dortmund player x next Bayern/United player" joke was defensively thrown around in this thread.

Folks, it was a pre season match. The result is here completely secondary. We were physically in way better shape and it showed in duels and transitions. Mourinho will have gotten some valuable impressions from that match and some of our talents (not only the ones we bought but also the academy players) could get some experience vs. an international opponent and show themselves. Bruun Larsen had a very good game I thought.

All in all, this game was hardly represantive in both directions.

Blind - did well
Pereira - keep it up lad

Memphis - bollocks
You wonder how hard it is for Jose to get the habits ingrained into the players by LvG. It might take a bit of time.

Blind - did well
Pereira - keep it up lad

Memphis - bollocks

Blind and Mata were both utter crap, what game were you watching...really.

It doesn't really matter because it's just pre season, but Dortmund looked like what they are. A team much further ahead in their pre season and with a manager who is in his second season and has had time to shape his squad and style to his liking. Quite a few of the players we had on the pitch today shouldn't be at United and in 2 years time I hope none of them are. Hopefully Mourinho can see the limitations of a lot of our 'squad players' and brings a couple more players in to deal with that.
Roll on is it Tuesday against City? Not sure we should he playing a rival in a friendly because it should all be about fitness, but it will hopefully be a good match to watch.
I must admit I thought Januzaj looked surprisingly decent, it's nice to see Van Gaal didn't completely suck the life out of him.

We know we won't get him, Bayern will.