Pre-Season Friendlies 2024

I have been accused of overly defending the Chelsea ownership, but I like to think I call it as I see it:

Scheduling a game every 3 days and playing SO many fixtures just for exposure and money … after what happened to us last year with injuries… is incredibly irresponsible and stupid.

That's a concerning performance. Madrid started with two kids and after half time took off all their best players for 5-6 more kids, meanwhile, Chelsea brought on quality for quality and looked poor.

This preseason has been really weird for attendances in the US. Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool and United are all clubs that have sold out US stadiums for years. Why are there all of a sudden so many empty seats at every game?
Because 1. Ticket prices are absolutely stupid for these games. Starting at $100+ for shit seats and going way up from there. 2. Most of the good players aren’t even on tour, most are still on holidays from the Euros and Copa. It’s that simple. American punters are dumb but not quite that dumb.

You aren’t getting a full stadium when you are charging premium prices to watch reserves plus a bunch of youth academy players play a friendly. If any of these teams had come out with nearly their full squads, then people would’ve packed the stadiums, but they didn’t. They would’ve packed the stadiums if tickets had been cheap, even if the big players weren’t there. But they weren’t. Instead they charged the highest prices they’ve ever charged for these US tours, and the squads were the some of the most depleted I have ever seen in preseason

That's a concerning performance. Madrid started with two kids and after half time took off all their best players for 5-6 more kids, meanwhile, Chelsea brought on quality for quality and looked poor.

New season, new coach. It'll take time for the players to learn his methods and by the time they're looking good, the coach will get sacked. The Chelsea story under Boehly. I wonder what Roman makes of it. Someone should go interview him.

Playing Man City then Real Madrid as pre season friendlies is dumb. Let's play the two best teams in the world, that'll be good for confidence.

I preferred it when we played local lower league sides.

Playing Man City then Real Madrid as pre season friendlies is dumb. Let's play the two best teams in the world, that'll be good for confidence.

I preferred it when we played local lower league sides.
Well you have to wait for the first weekend of November for that

We beat a youthful Motherwell 6-0 in a behind closed doors friendly with Beto and Maupay scoring two each. Fear us.

New season, new coach. It'll take time for the players to learn his methods and by the time they're looking good, the coach will get sacked. The Chelsea story under Boehly. I wonder what Roman makes of it. Someone should go interview him.

This, love or hate Pochettino I really thought he had turned it around after starting out with a bunch of kids that didnt even know each others names. If you take league results from Christmas on they were 3rd or 4th, now it looks like it's back to learning the system all over again for the players.

This, love or hate Pochettino I really thought he had turned it around after starting out with a bunch of kids that didnt even know each others names. If you take league results from Christmas on they were 3rd or 4th, now it looks like it's back to learning the system all over again for the players.

Palmer was the main reason for the improvement and he's not back yet.

Gallagher was also a key part of his midfield and had to be sold for PSR. Enzo didn't fit in.

Without Palmer we got battered by Arsenal. The defence was still shit.

We also got loads of penalties, some ridiculously soft.

What is Madrid’s MF like this season?

Tchouameni, Valverde, Bellingham?

I guess with Modric and Camavinga as rotational options? How did they set up in the friendly?

Unless Bellingham countinues his goal scoring form from last season, might lack goals…

Palmer was the main reason for the improvement and he's not back yet.

Gallagher was also a key part of his midfield and had to be sold for PSR. Enzo didn't fit in.

Without Palmer we got battered by Arsenal. The defence was still shit.

We also got loads of penalties, some ridiculously soft.
The weird re-writing of Poch's end of season is very strange. It was a small sample size in very positive circumstances, and it wasn't exactly mind blowing either. He rightfully left, and even if Maresca fails, nothing changes that fact.

The weird re-writing of Poch's end of season is very strange. It was a small sample size in very positive circumstances, and it wasn't exactly mind blowing either. He rightfully left, and even if Maresca fails, nothing changes that fact.
2.27 ppg from Christmas onwards, over a season that's close to title winning form.

From Matchday 7 to Matchday 38, Chelsea had the 4th most points in the league. They had a terrible start to the season and I think there were problems throughout but I don't think it justified him leaving, especially when you replace him with Maresca.

From Matchday 7 to Matchday 38, Chelsea had the 4th most points in the league. They had a terrible start to the season and I think there were problems throughout but I don't think it justified him leaving, especially when you replace him with Maresca.
Yet, if not for two dodgy penalty decisions from a Liverpool fan at Stamford Bridge, they'd have finished below us while we were having the worst season since the dawn of time.

Yet, if not for two dodgy penalty decisions from a Liverpool fan at Stamford Bridge, they'd have finished below us while we were having the worst season since the dawn of time.
Slight difference in that it was Ten Hag in his second season and Poch in his first. Not saying it was an amazing season by any strech for Chelsea, but also feel like it wasn't a season where (when taking a lot of things into context) you'd say it justified sacking him for Maresca, but then the rumours were that he was let go due to other matters anyway.

Arsenal all over Leverkusen. 2-0.

It's City and Arsenal again this season. No one is getting anywhere near these two. Artetas coaching is light years ahead.

Arsenal all over Leverkusen. 2-0.

It's City and Arsenal again this season. No one is getting anywhere near these two. Artetas coaching is light years ahead.

They see to be in very good form for this point in time. We not so much unfortunately

3-0 Jesus, he really need to have a great goalscoring season. I feel Arteta will start the season with him and try Havertz again in midfield in a few games.

3-0 Jesus, he really need to have a great goalscoring season. I feel Arteta will start the season with him and try Havertz again in midfield in a few games.
There’s no way havertz is going back to midfield

He likes scoring against Spurs too much to pass up on the opportunity here.
If you're trying to sell him, you should probably just play Spurs every week in preseason.

Oh nevermind, you already are. Carry on.

Maybe now Ange will start focusing on set pieces more? Got beat so easily there.

What is Madrid’s MF like this season?

Tchouameni, Valverde, Bellingham?

I guess with Modric and Camavinga as rotational options? How did they set up in the friendly?

Unless Bellingham countinues his goal scoring form from last season, might lack goals…
I am not sure if you are fishing but I will bite: Mbappe, Vini, Rodrygo, Endrick and Güler is certainly enough goal scoring potential on top of their midfield.