CS L Community Shield

Manchester City 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 10 August 2024

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Man City 0:1 Man Utd - Garnacho (82')

Man City 1:1 Man Utd - Bernardo Silva (89')

Glorified friendly, City were lucky to be within a goal of us when they scored. I’m feeling more positive about this season after this.

Who cares about the community shield anyway?

Gutted we couldn’t see that out in 90 mins. While there were still plenty of positives to take from the game, a win over city would have been a really good and motivating start to the season.

Guess you can give Sancho a penalty if it's a friendly but I hope he's nowhere near when it's for real.

Otherwise a decent game, went about as expected. Bruno was great.

Heartbreaking. We deserved to win that but our finishing was shite. Actually a good performance from the 30th minute onwards.

Take. Your. Chances.

Defend. Your. Leads.

Same. Old. Story.

Played well, considering. Doesn't look like City will walk over us this season. Top 3 should be the aim.

Better side by quite a distance there. I'm feeling a lot more excited about the Fulham game than I was yesterday.

Looked so much better on the ball, created chances easily, broke their press when we wanted and conceded barely a shot.

We were the better side over the 90 minutes, but a lack of clinical finishing cost us.

I'm happy enough with how we set up in defensively. There were clear improvements over last season as we weren't leaving 40 yards of free space in midfield for the opposition to break into after winning the ball. Our press was coordinated and we didn't over commit.

Glorified friendly, City were lucky to be within a goal of us when they scored. I’m feeling more positive about this season after this.
Agreed, we were quite wasteful with chances and I think a few competitive games in those chances are finished.

We looked good in parts.
Some horrific finishing on show especially from Rashford.
No-one got injured.
De Ligt and Mazraoui look like they’re signing on which makes me happier than if we won the match.

The better team lost today but I’m pleased with the performance, we looked good. Interesting decision by pep to only bring Haaland on for the pens.

Much better team. Should’ve scored 3 or 4.

Not gonna get fussed over conceding a back post goal with Pellistri at RB and then losing a shootout because of a player that doesn’t wanna be here and our 6th choice CB. We played well.

After a very sloppy first 30mins I thought we were by far the better team and should have won comfortably.

Positives:
Diallo
Garnacho
Casemiro
Bruno
Martinez getting a full 90mins

Negatives:
Rashford’s shooting was very poor
Dalot looked very rusty

quite happy with the performance but we threw it away really

Rashford still looks like he can't be arsed

hope ETH starts with Garnacho and amad

Losing on pens isn't a big deal here. Would've been nice to win of course, we were the better team after the opening 30 minutes (as you'd expect given the players out there), but looked pretty good. Casemiro if he can not be overworked with the system and managed in terms of minutes, then our prospects for the season look much better. Just 1 game though.

Evans, that was one of the worst pens I've ever seen :lol:.

Mount just doesn't have a role here. He won't last long here IMO. Bruno with no pre season goes full 90 minutes with an excellent performance, that's the level we need for players like that.

Garnacho vs Amad as the right wing battle will be excellent this season. Though I'm sure they'll play together often too.

Positives:

Garnacho, Amad, Bruno, Martinez, maybe even Casemiro and Mount to an extent as they both showed some promise.

Negatives:

Rashford, McTom, Ten Hag. All people who shouldn't be here anymore.

Thought United played some great stuff, albeit it against a vastly depleted City team. Lack of striker and a snail paced defense will always hinder.

Played well in spells after the first 30, the transitions were sharp, the finishing not so much.

Not sure what to take from it, there was a slot of sloppiness at times from both sides, City missing a lot of players, but reasonably optimistic for next week.

More questions for City than Answers after this.. utd were the better side.. lose on pens is hard .. overall better chances created take 2 of those game is finished.. set pieces look good attacking and defending..

This needs to keep up..

Slightly disappointing to lose when we were on top for much of it and were clearly the more threatening side, but you make a load of changes and play wingers at fullback and you are prone to giving away big chances.

At least it's preseason

Honestly quite heartened by that. With a bit more composure we win it easily, some good minutes with no injuries and a big step up on shots conceded. No big hole in midfield, looked more balanced - admittedly against a weaker city. Still, good enough. If we can find a cutting edge before Friday we will be doing well.

The goal from a position we are imminently about to strengthen.

The performance was very encouraging, we created far more and better chances, and looked in control for the most part - our press seems to have gotten a lot smarter, and we're much less open. Makes me excited to see what we can do with a real defence in place.

Disappointed we didn’t see that one through to the end. It was a rocky start but when we found our feet we were played a very good game. We defended well mostly and created a number of chances, there should have been 3 goals for the team. Pellistri at right back was odd and it is probably the reason why Bernardo got in at the end. But, considering the lack of striker and a patch work defence, there are loads of positives to take away. Hopefully we will see De Ligt as part of the squad next game.

United played some great stuff!

No complaints.

A make shift back four doesn’t help but they were equal if not better than City.

Very positive!

Onana needs to stop his penalty antics. Especially standing to one side of the goal, it’s very annoying

Overall I left this game encouraged. Our midfield played with discipline and we looked coherent after the first 30 mins. Casemiro especially looked much better simply because he stayed in position mostly.

I also think Garnacho and Amad solidfied their positions as the top two players in our winger pecking order. For me it is Garnacho and Amad as the first choice wide players and everyone else falling in behind.

We need two proper central mids before the deadline and we'll be fine.

We were easily the better team. I'm happy with that. Would've been nice to win but to lose a community shield via pen shootout isn't the end of the world. Much bigger games ahead.

Some real positives, but you have to stay balanced and remember it was against a heavily weakened City team.

But you do worry about our goalscoring this season.

Sancho was never going to score that. The commentator jinxed it anyway reminding us of his last pen in a big game at Wembley! Just when we'd forgotten!

Much better team. Should’ve scored 3 or 4.

Not gonna get fussed over conceding a back post goal with Pellistri at RB and then losing a shootout because of a player that doesn’t wanna be here and our 6th choice CB. We played well.
This really, we had to make do with injuries and should have scored a couple.

It happens, the main thing by far is the performance, and thought there were good periods where we played through the midfield very well.

Maguire and Evan’s at the back don’t forget.

Overall I left this game encouraged. Our midfield played with discipline and we looked coherent after the first 30 mins. Casemiro especially looked much better simply because he stayed in position mostly.

I also think Garnacho and Amad solidfied their positions as the top two players in our winger pecking order. For me it is Garnacho and Amad as the first choice wide players and everyone else falling in behind.

We need two proper central mids before the deadline and we'll be fine.

But who do you leave out to get those 2 "proper" mids in?
Wonderkid Mainoo surely has to play, as does Bruno.

Decent game overall, thought we were the better team. Forwards were wasteful though and centre backs weren't comfortable with some of the passing from the back. I hope and pray De Ligt is more comfortable playing out from the back and better under pressure than Evans was today.

I suspect scoring goals will be a problem once more this season. If everyone stays fit i think our general play will be a lot better.

Oh and Bruno was class again.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 182 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Man City 1:2 Man Utd