PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Luton Town

Post-match discussion

Sat, 11 November 2023

We looked way more competent today. some better decision making in our build up play and we’d have cruised to victory. The usual suspects making bad decisions on the ball and attacks just falling apart really don’t help matters. Still we looked generally secure and worth the win. It’s a step in the right direction.

the fact we’re a point ahead of Newcastle is a bit mad

We looked way more competent today. some better decision making in our build up play and we’d have cruised to victory. The usual suspects making bad decisions on the ball and attacks just falling apart really don’t help matters. Still we looked generally secure and worth the win. It’s a step in the right direction.

I agree with this, I could see a a dual shape to the team, esp in the first half. We controlled the ball and made chances. Obviously we need to score more goals, but this is clear step forward on what we've seen so far.

Maybe not so let's bring in another manager and keep the Glazers, right?
Yes we are still actively protesting to oust the glazers from time to time. Yet in this case they gave this dud money, nearly 350 mil. You give this guy city or liverpool he will still struggle against luton and Southampton but yet we had history of winning with glazers. This guy must go, and if its before the glazers, so be it.

Because the things he did well, Fred used to do week in week out.

We need the players Chelsea replaced him with, rather than sign their dead weight.
Like who? Lavia has hardly played, Caicedo has been as bland as Mount for us and Ogechukwu has been average. Gallagher too has basically been their mctominay.....

Like who? Lavia has hardly played, Caicedo has been as bland as Mount for us and Ogechukwu has been average. Gallagher too has basically been their mctominay.....
They are natural midfielders, Caicedo is an actual 8. I have no doubt he would've been a better fit, no idea why we didn't go for him after calling chelseas bluff.

It is really shocking that we couldn't score more. It really seems that everyone in the team is trying to screw up a simple win. Rashford is pretty bad on the right, he didn't fancy running at defender on the right and attempted a few runs. There were alot of wasted possession, left to right, right to left, back to front and front to back. ETH knew that we would score at least 1 and instruct the team to keep the ball. This is something that City will do when they are 2 or 3 goals up. Teams are dropping points left, right and center. We are slowly moving up the table. Hopefully, we start playing better even. Everton is in good form, let's see we can beat them.

he didn’t create the chance. The ball came to him an he made a pass, barely
Jeez - how do you think chances are created? He passed it perfectly, what more do you want?

Not taking off here, but that might be the closest I've been this season to feeling like maybe we're starting to go places. Still another 1-goal win over a bottom opponent, but this looked a good deal more convincing than usual, and we played well overall.

Højlund didn't get good contact on his early shot, Rashford struck his straight at the keeper, couple other tame shots. The team overall is playing fine -- they're not putting on a style clinic, they're not channeling the ghosts of peak Barcelona, but they are functioning as a unit -- it's just our finishing that needs a massive improvement. It would have been 3 or 4 nil with slightly better finishing.

Højlund didn't get good contact on his early shot, Rashford struck his straight at the keeper, couple other tame shots. The team overall is playing fine, it's just our finishing that needs a massive improvement. It would have been 3 or 4 nil with slightly better finishing.
Seriously what games have you been watching .

Seriously what games have you been watching .
You got me. Nice one. Put it up on the scoreboard. I'll recap it for you: our performance would not seem so labored and pedestrian if we could finish. If we were just a tad better at finishing, it would have been 3 or 4 to 0, in which case people wouldn't be complaining so much. We completely contained Luton. It wasn't sexy but it was functional.

Last edited:
You got me. Nice one. Put it up on the scoreboard. I'll recap it for you: our performance would not seem so labored and pedestrian if we could finish. If we were just a tad better at finishing, it would have been 3 or 4 to 0, in which case people wouldn't be complaining so much. We completely contained Luton. It wasn't sexy but it was functional.
Fair enough but being functional against team like Luton at home isn't playing fine however you slice it and if it was one of the game then it's still excusable but not when we have been poor in almost all of our games this season .

Fair enough but being functional against team like Luton at home isn't playing fine however you slice it and if it was one of the game then it's still excusable but not when we have been poor in almost all of our games this season .
A real flair for pointing out the obvious…

Last edited:
I agree

Lets all lower our expectations, then we could be a lot more positive about games like this.

I think people need to look at Lutons recent results, they have only lost by one goal once in the last 8 or so games.
Lost by one goal to West Ham, to Spurs, took at point of Forest and Liverpool.

They are not the whipping boys some people seem to think they are.

We won comfortably yesterday with no real alarms, there really isn't a down side to it at all apart from the slight lack of ruthlessness up top.

When you see the Garnacho, Rashford and Hojlund chances again, Christ that should have been an easy win. Even McTominay's header was a pretty decent chance with more power behind it.

I think people need to look at Lutons recent results, they have only lost by one goal once in the last 8 or so games.

We won comfortably yesterday with no real alarms, there really isn't a down side to it at all apart from the slight lack of ruthlessness up top.

They are extremely poor. They would have lost 5-0 if they played at Anfield. Also, they played at home against Spurs, and Spurs were a man down for half the game. When they have played away against better teams, they have been battered (3-0 Chelsea, 4-1 Brighton).

Yes indeed. Good summary.

I was not convinced by this win. Three points are in the bag, onward and upward, but Luton set the tempo and were not far from beating us. They sat back, allowed us the ball and very few chances, and had some chances of their own. They went back home thinking kinnel they had us but let us off the hook.

Happy with win but feels like we are winning the top of the league of all the teams 7 and below.

As soon as we play anything about that, we'll probably going to lose.

Feels like a useful win. Did McT intend that flick or did the ball just deflect off him? Hard to tell from replays

They are extremely poor. They would have lost 5-0 if they played at Anfield. Also, they played at home against Spurs, and Spurs were a man down for half the game. When they have played away against better teams, they have been battered (3-0 Chelsea, 4-1 Brighton).
Hence the reason I said recent results, other than Aston Villa their recent results home and away have been very tight affairs.

As for saying Liverpool would win 5-0 at Anfield, that hasn't happened so is just pure conjecture and grasping at straws to enable you to make your point.

We've seen this before, normally I'd say you should always be happy with a win.

But with these performances, you just know what's coming down the road, it's prolonging the agony. The lack of ability to control a match and win a match comfortably is ridiculous. Until we fix this, we'll never move on. We've conceded 3 more goals than what we've scored. Liverpool, Spurs, City and Arsenal are all least +14.

Hence the reason I said recent results, other than Aston Villa their recent results home and away have been very tight affairs.

As for saying Liverpool would win 5-0 at Anfield, that hasn't happened so is just pure conjecture and grasping at straws to enable you to make your point.

Maybe because they haven't played anyone decent. So weird to compare home results vs away results too, a big, big difference, especially for teams like Luton. They will get totally battered against Liverpool away and you can quote me on that. It's just excuses here. We played okeyish but should obviously win by two, or three goals. Luton is very poor, and they were poor again yesterday.

Maybe because they haven't played anyone decent. So weird to compare home results vs away results too, a big, big difference, especially for teams like Luton. They will get totally battered against Liverpool away and you can quote me on that. It's just excuses here. We played okeyish but should obviously win by two, or three goals. Luton is very poor, and they were poor again yesterday.
They haven't played Liverpool at Anfield yet so to use the future hyperthetical is a non starter as a base for any argument.

Lutons last four away games have been 3-1 loss to Villa, 2-2 v Forest, 2-1 win v Everton and 1-0 loss v Fulham.
All close games bar the Villa one where Villa outclassed them.
Their home games have been equally tight as well, with single goals margins in most of them.

Had our strikers been clinical we would have won by three goals, Garnacho, Hojlund and Rashford all spurned glorious chances.
Luton had one header in the whole game which caused alarm, other than that it was mainly concentrated in Lutons half of the pitch.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 190 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Luton Town win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:0 Luton Town
  • 17% Man Utd 3:0 Luton Town