PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Luton Town

Post-match discussion

Sat, 11 November 2023

This very much falls in the category of "a win is a win is a win". There were positives and some things looked better...but my G-d is the finishing just so poor. Something needs to change tactically that allows for the wingers to get more 1v1 opportunities. The movement out of the back and the midfield needs to be faster and less side to side. I'd be fine if Rashford or Garnacho looked to immediately beat the man in front of them to take it down the line...instead of immediately looking to go backwards. There was some of it in the 2nd half that was created by nice runs made from Regulion. Antony, surprisingly, looked to do this. He was quick to move forward and made some great passes that should've been 2 goals. He played quickly and did the simple thing with his head up instead of looking to do the tricky thing.

What really should've been a 4 or 5-0 win was just made harder because we struggle to finish. Chance after chance is there. It feels, to me, that once these start getting converted, we'll go on a good run of form.

Thought we played well today. Okay, the finishing should have been better, but we had some bad luck too. ETH is right - one day we will start scoring. A couple of deflections could have gone our way today, there were two VAR penalty checks that of course we didn't get, and we had some great chances - especially the Garnacho one. I am positive about the games ahead. I think the tough nature of those games could help us actually raise our game.

Thought we played well today. Okay, the finishing should have been better, but we had some bad luck too. ETH is right - one day we will start scoring. A couple of deflections could have gone our way today, there were two VAR penalty checks that of course we didn't get, and we had some great chances - especially the Garnacho one. I am positive about the games ahead. I think the tough nature of those games could help us actually raise our game.
Honestly it's got to a stage with the VAR check where I don't even bat an eye lid :lol: we ain't getting it, what's the point?

I thought it was solid. Boring, but we had control. Just need a bit more ruthlessness, and eliminate the remaining mistakes in our own half. Take our chances. Some confidence and we'll be flying.

A win is a win though we are making it difficult to enjoy watching us. I've seen enough of Maguire and Lindelof slowly trying to build from the back, McTominay in the holding role and Rashford and Bruno constantly gifting the ball to the opposition over the last few years to last me a lifetime.

Saying that, we did miss a couple of great chances and if Hojlund scores that one early on we're probably looking at a different game. We're actually in a good position taking into account out performances but to beat anyone half decent, we need to improve.

I’ll gladly take the points but we really have a hard time playing “smaller@ teams

Let’s try and be positive

Somehow we are now 6th - just 6 points off all the wonder boys that TalkSPORT are blowing smoke up their arses.

We have been woeful at best this season.

We should be right down there amongst the shite….but we are not.

We are as good as rock bottom, although we could get there in the next few games - BUT - something has to change in terms of our performances, whether that’s Ineos coming in and shaking the tree (which will have a very direct response) or a change of personal, players or management.

What I’m saying is - things HAVE to improve and somehow we are still hovering around the right area of the table.

Our shite-ness could have been a lot worse.

Change is a-coming and things will start to look up folks.

Let’s try and be positive

Somehow we are now 6th - just 6 points off all the wonder boys that TalkSPORT are blowing smoke up their arses.

We have been woeful at best this season.

We should be right down there amongst the shite….but we are not.

We are as good as rock bottom, although we could get there in the next few games - BUT - something has to change in terms of our performances, whether that’s Ineos coming in and shaking the tree (which will have a very direct response) or a change of personal, players or management.

What I’m saying is - things HAVE to improve and somehow we are still hovering around the right area of the table.

Our shite-ness could have been a lot worse.

Change is a-coming and things will start to look up folks.

Bang on.
Cry babies saying the season is over and Ange being the greatest thing since fleshlights.

Only a few points off the top four and missing several key playera. Any other team grinding out one nils would be seen as a sign of encouragement.

Great result today.

Good performance today honestly - defensively good, no clear weaknesses in the game plan, and made some clear cut chances. Poor finishing which is a big concern.

this is the same team that got a draw to Liverpool last week and should have won if the game had reasonable extra time.

Woah mate, woah.

Careful what you say around here otherwise you'll be accused of having low standards

Definitely had the chances. Think it’s fair to say a generally good performance with woeful finishing.

Looking back through Luton’s results puts today in a slightly better light. After shipping 3 and 4 in their first two games they’ve obviously shored things up a bit. Only lost by a two goal margin once in their next 9 matches.

I definitely think today was one of our better league performances. 65% posesssion, a bunch of decent chances to score and no real scares at the back. I’ll take that any day. Even more so given today was probably (hopefully!) the peaks of this season’s injury crisis.

Looking back through Luton’s results puts today in a slightly better light. After shipping 3 and 4 in their first two games they’ve obviously shored things up a bit. Only lost by a two goal margin once in their next 9 matches.
By playing 5-4-1 and showing absolutely zero ambition to actually try and play a normal, balanced game of football. It's Luton Town. They seem to be trying for 38 0-0 draws to stay in the prem. Today was dire from them, I've seen lower league teams in cup games at Old Trafford show more intent.

Thought it was dire today at the game, performance was turgi*d in the first half and improved in the second half. Lindelof's goal sadly papers over the cracks, and there's very little positives to take from today.

It's difficult to judge the team when we've got so many injuries but our ability to play the ball quickly is where we'll come unstuck, we're very easy to read.

Our goalscoring is still quite a big issue. This must be in the minds of our attacking player. One good result and it can turn around pretty quickly

By playing 5-4-1 and showing absolutely zero ambition to actually try and play a normal, balanced game of football. It's Luton Town. They seem to be trying for 38 0-0 draws to stay in the prem. Today was dire from them, I've seen lower league teams in cup games at Old Trafford show more intent.

Hardly. They’ve played 11 games before today and only been shut out 3 times.

It's difficult to judge the team when we've got so many injuries but our ability to play the ball quickly is where we'll come unstuck, we're very easy to read.
A bloke at the very back of the East stand today was loudly counting the number of touches each player had before shifting the ball. It really illustrated the slow play we have. Poor bloke nearly had a stroke when Lindelof had 11 touches before passing it at one point. One and two touch football is what we should aspire to be playing. Next time you watch us play, count the touches. It will suprise you.

A bloke at the very back of the East stand today was loudly counting the number of touches each player had before shifting the ball. It really illustrated the slow play we have. Poor bloke nearly had a stroke when Lindelof had 11 touches before passing it at one point. One and two touch football is what we should aspire to be playing. Next time you watch us play, count the touches. It will suprise you.

I had a stroke when Lindelof started playing the ball forward today, the amount of side to side passing he makes is unreal. Which usually ends up with Maguire which then plays a diagonal ball to Garnacho, who then cuts in. I'm not saying we're predictable but I've watched multiple games at OT this season with this same phase of play. We're really easy to play against.

Newcastle in the cup was the worst I've seen us for years, today wasn't that big a leap forward.

I have done this many times. Its insane actually. Its all of our defenders, or thats where its most visible, and includes Onana to.

I had a stroke when Lindelof started playing the ball forward today, the amount of side to side passing he makes is unreal. Which usually ends up with Maguire which then plays a diagonal ball to Garnacho, who then cuts in. I'm not saying we're predictable but I've watched multiple games at OT this season with this same phase of play. We're really easy to play against.

Newcastle in the cup was the worst I've seen us for years, today wasn't that big a leap forward.

It was definitely a big leap forward from that game.

At the end of the day we won. We could and probably should have beaten them by more.

Liverpool just drew with them, and very nearly lost to them.
Luton are obviously not a good team but no one's really thrashing them, they’re quite tough to beat.

Bang on.
Cry babies saying the season is over and Ange being the greatest thing since fleshlights.

Only a few points off the top four and missing several key playera. Any other team grinding out one nils would be seen as a sign of encouragement.

Great result today.

Really? Against Sheff Utd and Luton?

But I hope you're right in your general positivity!

At the end of the day we won. We could and probably should have beaten them by more.

Luton are obviously not a good team but no one's really thrashing them, they’re quite tough to beat.

I keep reading this, but it's a weak comparison. We were at home, we should have been putting them a bit more to the sword, rather than just the 4 shots on target for a newly promoted side.

Has there been any showings of the 2 penalty shouts? No replays seem to be the norm now when it's ours but we get 20 for the opposition.

Also, it's so strange that there was 2 penalties mid week for the same handball as this game and nothing was said about it :lol:

Yet they couldn’t score today, with nearly 40 minutes to do so. Which only happened once in their last 7 matches (against the league leaders at the time). Another positive to take from our performance.
True. The best part of our game was the defence today. It's just a shame given how much we have spent on the midfield and attack that we look so disjointed.

Has there been any showings of the 2 penalty shouts? No replays seem to be the norm now when it's ours but we get 20 for the opposition.

Also, it's so strange that there was 2 penalties mid week for the same handball as this game and nothing was said about it :lol:
I think VAR works on a case by case basis, and factors in things like whether the decision will improve the game from the perspective of the neutral.

True. The best part of our game was the defence today. It's just a shame given how much we have spent on the midfield and attack that we look so disjointed.

Yeah, agreed. We badly need our attacking players to kick up a gear. Garnacho is having a brutal second season syndrome, Rashford has had a very poor start to the season and Antony is Antony. If even two of them hit their best form at once we’ll be a completely different team.

To tell the truth, they looked like a top 4 side last week vs Liverpool. Was afraid we'd get spanked today. Last week must have been the aberration and not the norm.

Good to see the team on the front foot. Thought Maguire was excellent, especially in the first half where some of his passing really helped to press things on.
lindelof had a decent second half so really s good day for the defenders.
Thought Mount was good today and I liked the way he won the ball back and pressed too. More of this please

Thought we were average to slightly poor todayvwhich is a big improvement from wherever have been.

Definitely need to see more though

We were dominant and avoided getting ourselves in trouble.

Positives: good cameos for Antony and Mount. Bruno pointing and directing play was good to see.

Negatives:
dumb give aways (Rashford, Lindelof) that we have to cut out of our game. Missing good chances.

Really? Against Sheff Utd and Luton?

But I hope you're right in your general positivity!

That's 4 wins out of 5 in the league. Only 6 points off Arsenal in second with the same amount of games played.

Lots of injuries, big players underperforming, manager under pressure etc etc. Just see out a few tight 1-0 games, build some confidence, get some points on the board and get things moving in the right direction.

It's something at least.

I actually thought we played well this game. Could have created more but it was alot more organised than previous games.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 190 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Luton Town win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:0 Luton Town
  • 17% Man Utd 3:0 Luton Town