PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Fulham

Post-match discussion

Fri, 16 August 2024

The win is the most important thing. But we did miss 4!!! 100% chances: Bruno, Bruno, Mount and Garnacho. We should have won this much more comfortably

Thought we looked sloppy all over the pitch. We got a dominant momentum for the majority of the 2nd half but couldn't really make it count.

I worry about how we're nowhere near clinical enough. And our talisman was completely wayward tonight. Taking three touches when he was crowded by defenders on the edge of the box and fluffing two clear opportunities.

This thing with always going with your preferred foot is really grating on me. Bruno had a great angle with his left but went outside of the right straight into the keeper. Martinez tried to clear with his left when he could have quite easily done so with his right out of danger, but instead passed it to their player inside our box.

And in pre-season Hojlund went with his left instead of going for an easy tap-in with his right and injuring himself in the process.

They need to be taught that they have to play the percentages.

Deserved win. Proper striker's finish from Zirkzee. But overall the team's finishing is garbage. Ruud needs to drill these fools constantly. This should've been much more comfortable. But getting a win and building momentum is the most important thing in these early matches, I'm glad we got that.

Giant Lenny Kravitz man scored a great goal, but, well, where to begin?

Hard to conclude anything from these games so early. the 3 pts was the most important thing and we got them.

But the finishing again was shocking , making the 3pts in doubt up until the very end.

During the week ETH highlighted our lack of composure in front of goal saying it was a big issue for us last season , it is still a big issue i seems.

Deserved win and clean sheet. We played well for 45mins of the game despite the lack of match fitness and new players who haven't gelled together. I feel more confident about this season than the last one. Onward and upward.

Casemiro MOTM with Maguire a close 2nd. We need to convert our chances and bring in Ugarte ASAP for our midfield.

I hope Amad gets a run of games to build up his confidence and consistency, he was playing well within his limits in the 1st 20mins tonight. Garnacho certainly did himself no favours with that shocking miss at the end.

Slightly similar to the start of last season. A tight 1 nil win that could have potentially have gone either way. However, I felt we looked better as a unit in comparison to last season but still look like we lack ideas against teams who sit back. Having said that, if Bruno tucks one of his chances away in the first half, we possibly go on to score more.

Anyway, our first game, and for me, the win was the main thing. Hopefully, we improve as the season progresses.

We are top of the league!

Good win. Really really should have been more goals scored by us.

Hard earned and deserved win. Had predicted a 2-0 win and should have been that but for Garnacho missing the sitter in added time. Always good for a forward to score on his debut and even better when his goal is the winner.

To win and keep a clean sheet a improvement on losing and conceding two goals at home to Fulham last season.

Solid performance, more in keeping with the final few games of the season in terms of approach. We weren't as dominant as I'd like in terms of controlling the game, but we were clearly the better side and should have scored at least 3 goals. Zirkzee great to watch as usual - a very silky player.

Too many chances not taken, if Bruno had a decent game in the final third it would have been a bigger score.

Liked the first half, but we got ragged at times in the second.

Good to start with a win, and some positive signs.

Very happy to start with 3 points!

Also what a debut for Mr Zee! Happy for the lad.

We looked ropey at times but we had the better chances and I think there’s the makings of a good team there. Casemiro did well. This Fulham team will look dangerous in a lot of games this season without ever actually threatening the opposition goal. Thought Mainoo and Garnacho both lost concentration tonight which led to breaks and that was Fulham’s only really method of attack. Onana and Maguire did their defensive duties well but good Lord were they sloppy. Loved what I’ve seen from Mazaroui.

Good to get the three points. It's always a bit dodgy in the start of the season with players who haven't taken part in pre-season.

Mazraoui did well I thought. Zirkzee wasn't that involved until the goal but it's great for him to get off to a good start.
We lost control in the second half after having been quite good for the last half an hour or so of the first half. However, Bruno and Mount could have put us ahead and it would've been deserved.
Don't know what the hell Rashford and Garnacho were doing at the end.

Commentators are so bad tight. On my stream they first said Zirkzee and Højlund are like for like, and then went on to say they'd never seen McTominay have a bad game.

Garnacho did provide the assist even though he missed a glaring goal.

Worse as the match went on, same problems as last season. We'll struggle to score enough goals once again.

I guess the hope is that 60 goals is enough to compete for 5th if we only concede 40-45 this time around.

Relieved more than anything. It was a deserved win and should have been a lot more comfortable. My main concern is our finishing. That could be our major downfall this season if we don’t brush up on it.

Both the new lads Mazraoui & Zirkzee looked very good on their debuts. De Ligt’s lack of pre-season was evident but give him a few weeks and I’m sure he will be up to speed.

Some really poor performances, Rashford and Casemiro especially

Good debuts for Zirkzee and Mazraoui

Take the win, didnt like the performance

We were by far and away deserved winners.

The biggest positive for me is that our press is much more controlled and there's contingency now rather than the all-or-nothing approach of last season, and it's still very effective, with us winning the ball high regularly.

Poor finishing almost cost us, we saw the value of having more than one striker in the squad tonight.

I thought that was a game where very obviously if we got an earlier goal with one of our glaring chances we would have battered them. Still found a way through and defended well.

Here is the thing, we didn't smash them 4-0 but just based on the eye test of that Vs the eye test of Wolves last season we do definitely look like a team that will win a lot more games in the Premier League.

Top of the Table!

Pretty poor 2nd half and we did just enough to deserve the win.

It's early but our two new guys look like good, smart players. We've had (and still have) too many low football IQ players.

Speaking of low IQ football brains, Rashford's pass to Garnacho was sooooo poor. And that's Rashford in a nutshell.

3 points and some good things especially in the first half.

GVIa5VbXwAAUlvs

We look compact with an extra midfielder, the moment we changed it our issues appeared.

We were lucky Fulham messed up a few counters

We should have been up by a few goals. Go get a goal scorer.

This was a game we lost last season so we are now 3 points better off

Mazraou was really good, Zirkzee with some tidy touches and of course the matchwinner, great start for both of them. Maguire and Casemiro very good as well. Idk what was going on with Bruno tonight. Bad shooting, sometimes way too slow, bad decisions.

Overall not too bad. Didn't let them create too much although they should have scored from that one counter attack. Should have scored at least two ourselves though.

We deserved the win in the end but man o man are we a mixed bag of funny stuff. Garnacho is completely all over the place, ends up with a crucial assists but it ls like throwing a handgrenade in there, anything can happen, good or bad. Zirkzee looks absolute quality, strong as an ox, good feet, composed. Absolutely has to start next game.

Rashford out. Just useless

He set up both Mount and Garnacho for easy goals. Leno made an absolute worldie save on Mount and then Garnacho fluffed his lines. He's still a low energy player but he put a little bit more effort in than usual in this match.

Maz is a footballer and you can see the upgrade. Defensively was sound too.....

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 395 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Fulham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:0 Fulham
  • 20% Man Utd 2:1 Fulham