PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:3 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 16 September 2023

So you prefer Martial up top? You prefer McTominay to Mount? You prefer a gassed Casemiro dragging around the pitch instead of Amrabat? Okay. Bizarre take, but you’re entitled to an opinion.
Is Mount a definite upgrade on Eriksen, Bruno, Hannibal? I’m not sure. Amrabat hasn’t played in the league yet, we don’t know how well he will get on.

I was very disappointed when Martial came on, he is not, never has been and never will be the answer to our striker problems, unless he was injured or knackered Hojlund should have played the 90 minutes.
He had to have been totally spent. That was his first full involvement in a much faster, more energetic league. The potential for injury goes way up when players are left on but gassed. And theoretically Martial is a footballer, so it wasn’t a crazy idea to think he might potentially do something useful with the ball. Martial really needs to be sold, that was just a nothing performance from him.

Absolutely predictable. Anyone who expected to get anything more than a draw from this didn't pay attention during our last few games against Brighton.

Is Mount a definite upgrade on Eriksen, Bruno, Hannibal? I’m not sure. Amrabat hasn’t played in the league yet, we don’t know how well he will get on.
They all play slightly in slightly different roles. Mount is not a like for like replacement to any of them. He’s halfway between an 8 and a 10. When he’s fit again, I expect he will knit defense and attack better, getting those early vertical passes out in transition, and provide a goal threat. Mount is definitely an upgrade on McT, and he’s an upgrade on second half Eriksen, and an upgrade on Bruno playing out wide.

Very good post enjoy your season mate

Just want to say what a great club Brighton are. You have to sell a top player every window and to carry on not just surviving in the PL but playing some great football your fans must be proud
Brighton has always seemed a well managed club since the days of Mike Bamber and their success is well deserved. United could help themselves by taking notice of how Brightons owners and board work for the improvement of their club, not the improvement of their bank balances as with the Glazers

CHGUVCk.jpg

He had to have been totally spent. That was his first full involvement in a much faster, more energetic league. The potential for injury goes way up when players are left on but gassed. And theoretically Martial is a footballer, so it wasn’t a crazy idea to think he might potentially do something useful with the ball. Martial really needs to be sold, that was just a nothing performance from him.
I agree, Martial has to be sold, as does Sancho and Maguire.

McTominay is who you think is responsible for this? That’s a giant load of garbage scapegoating a role player. Look at the supposed leading players at this club and compare them to the likes of Giggs, Keane, Ronaldo, RVN, Scholes, Rooney, etc…

McTominay on the right instead of an actual RW? We have to stop playing players out of position. It’s not McTominay’s fault he was started out of position, but the moment I saw him in the starting XI I knew we were fekked and you can hunt down my post on that if you like.

It turns out we were fekked. Not s scapegoat, just a fact.

Absolutely predictable. Anyone who expected to get anything more than a draw from this didn't pay attention during our last few games against Brighton.
They play more like how Rangnick wanted to, but the club wouldn’t back him.

You gotta get rid of everyone who played for Ole besides Rashford and Fernandes. They are part of a toxic atmosphere.

And you need people above the manager to be proven successes, not former players in the roll for the first time.

I could t watch the game but why on earth wasn’t pellestri starting?
From reading here seems like we changed formation (to our detriment) to accommodate others.
Also, has AWB got a bollocking for going to NY? He’s been one of our better players recently.

McTominay on the right instead of an actual RW? We have to stop playing players out of position. It’s not McTominay’s fault he was started out of position, but the moment I saw him in the starting XI I knew we were fekked and you can hunt down my post on that if you like.

It turns out we were fekked. Not s scapegoat, just a fact.
If the players that are supposed to be your top players not only don’t perform, but don’t try hard or play for the team, talking about rotational players is 100% pointless.

I am really pleased that he took off Casemiro first. Unbelievably slow in both running and decision making. As soon as Amrabat is fit, play him and Mejbri. Than you probably have a midfield that at least runs its socks off ... Brighton were quite comfortable with Case having the ball as most of his passes that went beyond the first yard were crap (bar the good ball to Rashford ...).

It's bizarre really. All we really have to do is train 15 good footballers to kick a ball together, but that's somehow beyond ETH and this bunch.

Presumably everyone's too busy thinking about whether the glazers will sell or not? All will be well when they sell. Then and only then will Marcus be able to stop concerning himself with the whole situation.

They all play slightly in slightly different roles. Mount is not a like for like replacement to any of them. He’s halfway between an 8 and a 10. When he’s fit again, I expect he will knit defense and attack better, getting those early vertical passes out in transition, and provide a goal threat. Mount is definitely an upgrade on McT, and he’s an upgrade on second half Eriksen, and an upgrade on Bruno playing out wide.
He’s an upgrade on McT but as you said it’s a different role. I don’t think he’d have made a large impact on this match and I don’t think missing him is an excuse for the manager. When you have Bruno, Eriksen, Hannibal then you’ve got options for that job in midfield and we have wingers on the bench that I’d pick over mount on the right.

We're just a mess. Actually played quite well in the first 20 minutes but as soon as they scored that was it, same old problems.

We can't score goals, can't defend, put in no effort off the ball and consistently get played through with ease. Apart from that, we're alright. :lol:

They play more like how Rangnick wanted to, but the club wouldn’t back him.

You gotta get rid of everyone who played for Ole besides Rashford and Fernandes. They are part of a toxic atmosphere.

And you need people above the manager to be proven successes, not former players in the roll for the first time.
Not that it’s realistic to get rid of both of them, but this is supposed to be “their club”, and from a mentality point of view they have nowhere near what it takes to assume that role.

So you prefer Martial up top? You prefer McTominay to Mount? You prefer a gassed Casemiro dragging around the pitch instead of Amrabat? Okay. Bizarre take, but you’re entitled to an opinion.

If you take an anyone is better than those 2 players approach then sure.
But how anyone can say Mount has been an upgrade on anything yet is baffling.

I could t watch the game but why on earth wasn’t pellestri starting?
From reading here seems like we changed formation (to our detriment) to accommodate others.
Also, has AWB got a bollocking for going to NY? He’s been one of our better players recently.
He said AWB had been ill during the week.

Brighton passed around us like Barca at Wembley in 2010....

We're so poor and our press is as pointless as an ashtray on a motorbike

If the players that are supposed to be your top players not only don’t perform, but don’t try hard or play for the team, talking about rotational players is 100% pointless.

I’m not sure what that perfectly valid point has to do with the disastrous decision to start McTominay at RW. Had Pellistri been out with injury, ETH might have had no choice, but he did have a choice.

Go over the Welbeck goal and ask yourself whether McTominay’s contribution defensively was worth having him take a position that could have been much effectively served by an actual RW.

I’m not sure what that perfectly valid point has to do with the disastrous decision to start McTominay at RW. Had Pellistri been out with injury, ETH might have had no choice, but he did have a choice.

Go over the Welbeck goal and ask yourself whether McTominay’s contribution defensively was worth having him take a position that could have been much effectively served by an actual RW.
I’m not sure it matters when the problems are a lack of cohesion, work ethic and p*** poor mentality. Ultimately the manager ends up paying the price and that’s football, but it’s impossible to execute any game plan under those circumstances.

The team is just an absolute shambles. Poorly coached by a manager who‘s tactically out of his depth. A manager who knew exactly how Brighton would play today but had no clue how to combat their tactics. A manager incapable of making in-game assessments of what was wrong and how it should be fixed. He seems to start with one fixed idea then when that doesn’t work he’s lost.

Clearly the manager didn’t either. But that’s his job whereas we’re only interested onlookers.

The team is just an absolute shambles. Poorly coached by a manager who‘s tactically out of his depth. A manager who knew exactly how Brighton would play today but had no clue how to combat their tactics. A manager incapable of making in-game assessments of what was wrong and how it should be fixed. He seems to start with one fixed idea then when that doesn’t work he’s lost.

That's why he doesn't make any changes until the game is basically lost. How often does he make HL changes even if when we are down? We can't be playing that good every time can't we?

United were comprehensively beaten today, just need to take it on the chin...and give the Cafe a miss for 48 hours.

Most sensible post so far. No matter how bad United's been, you can always rely on the Caf to be even worse. Bad losses bring out the worst in people.

Not the least bit surprised by this result. There’s so much negativity around the club both on and off the pitch at the moment. Things can only get better, right?

Don’t have the time anymore to watch any football due to life circumstances but it still hurts everytime I check the results. I hope Erik turns it around again and gives me a good feeling when I check them after a long hard day of work.

This is another group of players who will get another manager the sack. BUT, ETH is out of his depth, gone are the days of having a ruthless disciplinarian in charge, you need a charismatic leader who takes the players, fans and club with him, he’s just not that, he’s a dinosaur in every respect, tactically and emotionally

ETH definitely screwed up today tactically. Their fullbacks had so much space all the time since we didn't have any wingers. Pellistri should have started today.

Eriksen is an absolute passenger, hoping for Amrabat to start soon and makes a positive impact.

Bruno and Casemiro both can't keep the ball and so wayward in passing.

Someone needs to tell Rashford that there are 10 other players in the team, he is doing this for a long time and why do we have coaches and manager if they can't rectify it. He gets the ball, dwells on it and either looses the ball or hit a aimless shot.

Our corners to goal ratio should be like 500 to 1. No idea how we are so crap at it for so long.

I think this has all the ingredients of a disastrous season

I swear everytime I've seen Pascal Gross he's always a very crafty player.

Once again the much better team in the first half. They had 1 decent chance and scored, meanwhile the total lack of brains and composure in the final third lets Utd down again.

I missed the second, so I'll have to try and bring myself to watch it back.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 245 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:1 Brighton
  • 10% Man Utd 3:1 Brighton