POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Whether Mou is a good or bad thing for United, Fergie began to set up his teams very pragmatically in his last few years when facing big teams. Some exceptions but it wasn't all fireworks

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
We found our once fergie left that he was getting performances out of some of the players that, frankly they weren't otherwise capable of.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
José Mourinho left in managerial no man’s land with no clear way out

United took a long, hard look and turned their backs. It hasn’t happened and maybe never will. If United don’t want him when they have been straying dangerously close to a full-on crisis, Bayern have looked elsewhere, Real prefer Zidane and the other superpowers are cold-shouldering him, there is one outstanding question: where does that leave Mourinho?
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jan/16/jose-mourinho-manchester-united-daniel-taylor

jem

I've been a bit flaky on this one (voted no, but then moaned about how I might be coming round to the idea.) But when you think about it, it is amazing that so many want to replace LVG with the one coach who arguably has done a worse job this year (and is hardly renowned for having his teams play attractive football.) Other than some blind hope that he'll become good again (and if he's given that benefit of the doubt, then why should't Van Gaal be given it as well?), there doesn't seem to be any logic behind replacing LVG with Mourinho.

jem

He should go to AC Milan. Perfect opportunity to restore a team to its past glory.

POF

I've been a bit flaky on this one (voted no, but then moaned about how I might be coming round to the idea.) But when you think about it, it is amazing that so many want to replace LVG with the one coach who arguably has done a worse job this year (and is hardly renowned for having his teams play attractive football.) Other than some blind hope that he'll become good again (and if he's given that benefit of the doubt, then why should't Van Gaal be given it as well?), there doesn't seem to be any logic behind replacing LVG with Mourinho.
Blind hope that he will become good again? Mourinho? He has been successful everywhere he has gone (including his second spell at Chelsea). Until this season he did a fantastic job. He is the reigning Premier League champion with an incredible CV.

His behaviour is very questionable but his record and results are not.

This "attractive football" stuff is utter nonsense. One of my favourite ever United wins was when they ended Arsenal's unbeaten run by basically kicking them off the pitch. It was brilliant.

Revan

Assumptionman
Don't be ridiculous with blind hope and comparisons with LVG. This is the first season in the last 13 years or so that Mourinho wouldn't finish in top 3 in a league. Van Gaal has more finishes outside of top 3 than in in this century. In addition, Mourinho has won something like 8 league titles and 2 UCL this century while LVG has won two league title, and was sacked from both Barca and Bayern for being outside of UCL zone.

At some degree, what LVG is doing can be considered as the norm. His career is hit and miss, with misses being in this century while hits being in the nineties. For Mourinho, this was clearly an outlier.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
You could also argue he is still the current reigning champion :) and Chelsea haven't been fairing all that much better since he was kicked out, certainly not as if they've done a 180 since his departure.
Personally feel, this club needs to win first and foremost to keep the revenue rolling in, off the field we're a business juggernaut and Mourinho is as close a lock to achieving and maintaining that as you're ever going to get in football.
I find it breathtaking that this clubs board would pass him over and appoint Giggs. (and not in a good way.)

Adebesi

Right there with you, especially on the flaky response to Mourinho. But Revan is right, Mourinho has demonstrated much more than Van Gaal. It does seem perverse to hire a manager who has done even worse, but there very definite reasons to believe Mourinho would improve us.

I'm still hugely ambivalent about him tho.

Needham

He should go to AC Milan. Perfect opportunity to restore a team to its past glory.
Doesn't like Italians. Sees too much of himself in them. Doesn't want to be a big fish which looks like all the other fish who just think they are big fish. In a small pond.

sugar_kane

There is more risk in losing out on Mourinho forever than letting him run the team for a couple of seasons.

If he starts acting like a shit bag we sack him, I'd rather he was given the chance as the man is a serial winner. After Fergie, there aren't many other managers the players would love to work with (save for Mata)

jem

You could also argue he is still the current reigning champion :) and Chelsea haven't been fairing all that much better since he was kicked out, certainly not as if they've done a 180 since his departure.
Personally feel, this club needs to win first and foremost to keep the revenue rolling in, off the field we're a business juggernaut and Mourinho is as close a lock to achieving and maintaining that as you're ever going to get in football.
I find it breathtaking that this clubs board would pass him over and appoint Giggs. (and not in a good way.)
That doesn't really help his case, in my opinion. I agree with you about Giggs.

FujiVice

After watching this shite, I'd happily take Mourinho at half time today, if that deal was possible.

mbb8

Im at my breaking point. There is a fire burning down the house and idiots refuse to break the glass and extinguish the feck out of it. Break the fecking glass and grab the best manager in football.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
http://www.oneworldsports.com/stories/jose-mourinho-looking-join-premier-league

tl;dr Woodward wants Mourinho, Mourinho wants us, Woodward doesn't want to sack LVG mid-season, Mourinho will join in summer.

Duncan Castles might be a dick but he certainly has an in with Mourinho's camp.
If Pep's really going to City, LVG out respectfully by mutual consent this summer and Mourinho in would be the sensible and correct solution. I just hope LVG can deliver his old friend Mourinho a Champions League spot as a welcome to OT present.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
If we can't get Pep he's probably the only viable candidate left unfortunately.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I'm of the belief that anyone who wouldn't want Jose in wants us to struggle
This, some people take so much join is muttering "The United Way" one has to wonder if they are enjoying our current predicament so they can lecture everyone. :rolleyes:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Guardiola and Mourinho both available. If we opt for Giggs we deserve what we inevitably will get.

Mourinho being appointed in summer makes the most sense. I'd be surprised if it didn't happen.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Its obvious that they will be a lot of movement this Summer. But the United board would rather struggle with Van Gaal that hire him.

Think Jose should simply bid his time and get another job . Maybe go home for a while and be with his father.

Maybe come back in a year, Zidane might not last at Real. Maybe try Germany .

sunama

Baghdad Bob
E.Woodward should be on the phone to Jose telling him that we want him to commit right now and come in on Monday.
My fear is that we will miss out on Mourinho and then end up with a sub standard manager who will waste another season.
And with ever season we fail to win anything, the more difficult it is to get back to winning ways.