POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But.. but.. he "pontificates" too much..
Giggs, someone who understands the club better than any of us (after being there 100 years or so) said in his big speech that we 'never stand still, we always give youth a chance, and we always try to play attractive football'.

People always admire barcelona for their identity and thats a big reason why people respect united as well. When mourinho was available and they promoted pep that was them saying they care more about the clubs ethos than short term success, and it paid off, it might not have.

If you can't see how mourinho doesn't fit with our club ethos then explaining it is probabnly hopeless. If you do understand and don't care, want the short term success, then fair enough, but don't pretend it's only because he 'pontificates'. He is the opposite of what united have been about for 60 years (and further maybe) and that simply means he isn't the perfect candidate. If there's nobody better available, fair enough, but lets not pretend he isn't going to be changing the ethos of the club dramatically to a hyper defensive unit with no opportunities for the kids, because there's no evidence to the contrary

Giggs, someone who understands the club better than any of us (after being there 100 years or so) said in his big speech that we 'never stand still, we always give youth a chance, and we always try to play attractive football'.

People always admire barcelona for their identity and thats a big reason why people respect united as well. When mourinho was available and they promoted pep that was them saying they care more about the clubs ethos than short term success, and it paid off, it might not have.

If you can't see how mourinho doesn't fit with our club ethos then explaining it is probabnly hopeless. If you do understand and don't care, want the short term success, then fair enough, but don't pretend it's only because he 'pontificates'. He is the opposite of what united have been about for 60 years (and further maybe) and that simply means he isn't the perfect candidate. If there's nobody better available, fair enough, but lets not pretend he isn't going to be changing the ethos of the club dramatically to a hyper defensive unit with no opportunities for the kids, because there's no evidence to the contrary

Correct.

Even if that's the case, wouldn't you have more faith in Mourinho than LvG during the transfer window? I know I would.
I'd have faith that he would make an instant impact. We'd see the end of the young players like martial coming in and we'd get someone like cavani or similar hard worker, and buy some defensive mids, probably a 30 year old stopper to partner smalling, and our defence would be shored up

The tide has turned. One week ago it was 75-25 against. Don't think I've ever seen such a swift change of minds.

Dont know about the others but I did change my vote in the last 1-2 weeks from no to yes and that has been primarily because I feel more and more that Pep isnt an option... If so, Jose is my next choice...

Short term success is a good starting point for long term success anyway. United have to get back to challenging for the league very soon. If Jose comes in, dismantles it in a brutal way, we win trophies, have a very European style and he leaves in controversy after 3 years and 3 trophies for somebody to take over a very strong team - it is better than giving it to somebody who in the short term will see us out of Europe again, and a wait of 3-4 years for another trophy by which time the impatience of fans will be even higher as we would be on a 7-8 year stint without a title, just so we could do it the United way.

definitely fair enough, and I would enjoy it too. But it is a bigger decision than people make out. I always feel like we are too big a club to park the bus versus rivals, and that would be changing

That's a fair opinion. However, I do think that we are starting to approach a watershed soon, if we don't start winning big trophies again we could very well head down the Liverpool route. Another thing that I have been thinking lately is that we (United fans) maybe would be better off to consider a manager as "just" another employee of the club - I mean we have been used to think of our manager as a God for almost three decades but the landscape in the world of football is vastly different now.
No club is so special that it can retain its status without winning.

I voted no and I still don't want him here. That said, all the other options are either worse or (seemingly) unavailable so I'm resigned to us hiring the Paranoid One for a year or 2 at which point someone better will be available.

If you want that enemy of United to actually manage us, you are a pitiful slave.. He's a mercenary with who puts himself before the club and who has always bought his way into success. If he was to come at United, everything Sir Alex preached and Gill co. helped to achieve, is diminished until someone with real dignity brings it back..
This thread is a goldmine for mental football forum posts

except that he plays ultra defensive and ignores young players, but apart from that he is united through and through
He has the record for most point in both Spain and England, and in addition he broke the record for most goals scored in a season in Spain.

Ultra defensive my arse!

Admit it chief, even you would be glad to see Mourinho become our manager.

Tbh mate, I haven't a clue what the board are going to do next, so I'm hanging fire.

My vote is no and will be remain that way.

Reason is I hate him and think he is a cnut. It would be an actual sad day for me if he gets the job

It will be a strange time supporting a club managed by someone I really dislike

Reason is I hate him and think he is a cnut. It would be an actual sad day for me if he gets the job

What if we started to win trophies and he got us back to the top?

If Keano thinks that SAF took all the credit for our success, wait 'til Roy gets a load of Mourinho United.

Difference is, Barcelona already had a system in place that allowed it to go down that route. We don't really have that system, and with the manager - Ferguson, Moyes, Van Gaal, whoever replaced him, etc - always having full control at the club, we're bound to change according to whoever we have in charge. Chances of finding a string of managers who will be good and also fit the ethos are remote.

So we either accept it, or change the system.

The big issue for me is, we need to stay in the champions league this season. I don't think LVG can do it.
Problem is, if not Pep, then who?

If we stick with LVG until the end of the season, we wont get CL football, it could be a slippery slope.

Just not so keen on him tbh but LvG has really backed the club into a corner now, very tough call now for the club.

The big issue for me is, we need to stay in the champions league this season. I don't think LVG can do it.
Problem is, if not Pep, then who?

If we stick with LVG until the end of the season, we wont get CL football, it could be a slippery slope.
Is the guy who has already blown the defending champions chances of finishing in the top four really where to turn?

The problem is, there's just no one else is there?

I have my reservations too, but I just don't see any other option atm.

Is the guy who has already blown the defending champions chances of finishing in the top four really where to turn?

I'm not necessarily saying he is. I just think we are in a sticky position where we don't know what to do.
LVG needs to go
Pep seems city bound

I just don't know who we could look to

That is a very cynic way of viewing things. Sure, he just had the worst 'season' ever by a top manager. He is also the active manager who has won more trophy than anyone else though. So, it is more likely that this season was a fluke, rather than him being shit.

I am sure when I first voted in this poll it was about 60-65 in favour of No, and now it's virtually 50-50

That is a very cynic way of viewing things. Sure, he just had the worst 'season' ever by a top manager. He is also the active manager who has won more trophy than anyone else though. So, it is more likely that this season was a fluke, rather than him being shit.
He could've turned shit, though. He has seemed increasingly weird. I really wouldn't rule out the possibility that he's lost the plot.

I can't believe the vote in favour of Mourinho has gone over 50%. After Moyes and Van Gaal he would be the third disastrous choice. If we appoint him we'll be like Liverpool after 1990 and the glory days will become just history for us. Mourinho is divisive, engenders little trust in his players, will not attract top class talent as he is now seriously-tarnished goods and his football, even when successful, was boring and negative. If he's appointed the board would lose any last credibility it still has. We want a manager who will inspire a revival and make United a team that top players would want to come to - and that's not Mourinho.

He could've turned shit, though. He has seemed increasingly weird. I really wouldn't rule out the possibility that he's lost the plot.
It is possible, but I think it is very unlikely. There is more reason to belief that he lost the dressing room rather than he lost his ability as a manager only a few months after he walked the league, despite that he didn't have the best squad in the league.

He looks on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Some days on match day he was like a man who slept in a ditch

I don't think I have ever seen such a fall from grace. He managed to fallout with everyone at the club

This happened just a couple of weeks ago.

I can't believe the vote in favour of Mourinho has gone over 50%. After Moyes and Van Gaal he would be the third disastrous choice. If we appoint him we'll be like Liverpool after 1990 and the glory days will become just history for us. Mourinho is divisive, engenders little trust in his players, will not attract top class talent as he is now seriously-tarnished goods and his football, even when successful, was boring and negative. If he's appointed the board would lose any last credibility it still has. We want a manager who will inspire a revival and make United a team that top players would want to come to - and that's not Mourinho.
He's the most successful active manager on the planet, I don't think he'd struggle to attract star players to Man United. Out of interest who is this manager that will inspire a revival?

Sorry, but that is a ridiculous thing to say. You like Sir Alex, correct? Well, let's say that SAF and Mourinho are very much alike in how they handled the media and the dressing room. So what's the difference? You really don't remember what shenanigans SAF did under his reign? The only reason you dislike Mourinho is because he isn't ours, and the only reason you like SAF is because he gave so much to the club, no matter his behavior at times.