Players 'close' to going on strikes - Rodri

Just had a look at the first few pages. Interested to know the difference in summer breaks now compared to 20 years ago. The 2002 World cup was referenced. Because of the early start to that the final was played on Sunday 30th June. Prem season then started on Sat 17th August 2002. Think the other major euro leagues used to start in the September.

Seven weeks between the two. Also up to 2012 the Euros would also finish by end of the June so again players could have a full month off to recuperate from a 60 + game season.

Now the Euros (and Copa America) stretch to mid July and the next World cup also will go well into July 2026.

Most ridiculous to me was end of 2022 season. Players should've been resting up with the winter World cup on the horizon. Instead they were still playing on 14th June fecking nations league games. :lol:

City have 24 first team squad players - only picking on them because Rodri is the one whining.

A minimum of 2 players per position. If you say 80 games a year, that's 40 each. If they want to pick their best players more often then that is at that point a choice for both them and the player.

Obviously you factor in injuries, suspensions etc. But on the flipside, if it turns out 24 players isn't enough, they can afford to have more. No one is in a position where they are being forced into playing every single game of a 70 game season and its outside of both they or their club's control to do anything about it other than go on strike. So its pointless and just smacks of entitlement to be suggesting it.

What's it got to do with whether players should go on strike against football because they don't like playing football so much?

Well you don’t give a damn about player welfare. I figured I’d switch it round and ask if you think it’s acceptable to expect a fan to be following a club and international team for a whole year. I don’t.

City have 24 first team squad players - only picking on them because Rodri is the one whining.

A minimum of 2 players per position. If you say 80 games a year, that's 40 each. If they want to pick their best players more often then that is at that point a choice for both them and the player.

Obviously you factor in injuries, suspensions etc. But on the flipside, if it turns out 24 players isn't enough, they can afford to have more. No one is in a position where they are being forced into playing every single game of a 70 game season and its outside of both they or their club's control to do anything about it other than go on strike. So its pointless and just smacks of entitlement to be suggesting it.

So you’re happy for fans to watch an inferior product (second string players) and keep the volume of games, rather than play fewer games with better players to watch?

It’s the oddest of odd takes.

Well you don’t give a damn about player welfare. I figured I’d switch it round and ask if you think it’s acceptable to expect a fan to be following a club and international team for a whole year. I don’t.

Where have I said I don't give a damn about player welfare?

Again, who is forcing any player to play 70+ games a season, other than potentially their club who, in literally every single case where this could happen, easily has the resources to simply play them less often?

Where have I said I don't give a damn about player welfare?

Again, who is forcing any player to play 70+ games a season, other than potentially their club who, in literally every single case where this could happen, easily has the resources to simply play them less often?
But isn’t that what the threat of strike is about? A lot of extra games over and above 50 a season and trying to get the clubs and powers that be, to consult the players and find a solution.

So you’re happy for fans to watch an inferior product (second string players) and keep the volume of games, rather than play fewer games with better players to watch?

The idea teams have ever, at any point in about the last 35 years, picked their best players and played to their best in every game, is a nonsense and an untruth.

Any United fan who was watching us throughout Ferguson's tenure is very well aware of that too. We've picked second strings for cup finals and Champions League semis.

The problem for me is not the amount of games but the culture of players being desperate to play in every single game, resting/rotating just needs to become more common.

But isn’t that what the threat of strike is about? A lot of extra games over and above 50 a season and trying to get the clubs and powers that be, to consult the players and find a solution.

But how can you go on strike against something no one is forcing you to do?

Every big club rests players. The main driver behind a player playing every game is them throwing a fecking strop the second they're put on the bench.

Every big club rests players. The main driver behind a player playing every game is them throwing a fecking strop the second they're put on the bench.
It's not like these players signed lucrative contracts and were totally complicit while doing so. Oh wait...

You all make it sound so easy. Let’s see Rodri (city key man) rock up to Pep “sorry I don’t want to play, I’m tired”. Yeah like they are gonna accept that. No chance.

They rest players when they see a dip in performance not the other way round

What do you think would happen if a player said that he’s not playing say 15 games from a potential 75? He’d be told, you play when we need you. If he kicked up a fuss he’d be kicked out as a troublemaker, someone who doesnt play for the team

The idea teams have ever, at any point in about the last 35 years, picked their best players and played to their best in every game, is a nonsense and an untruth.

Any United fan who was watching us throughout Ferguson's tenure is very well aware of that too. We've picked second strings for cup finals and Champions League semis.

And why haven’t they?….

Clue : There were too many matches to do that, and now there are 20% more.

Man alive.

You all make it sound so easy. Let’s see Rodri (city key man) rock up to Pep “sorry I don’t want to play, I’m tired”. Yeah like they are gonna accept that. No chance.

Why not? Isn't that just toxic masculinity dictating that they are not allowed to show percieved weakness for whatever reason?

Football is a squad game and you don't have all your best players available all of the time.

Second string? Lets use City here because they cry the most;
Who is second string; Grealish or Doku? Ake or Akanji? Kovačić or Gundogan? Foden or Bernardo?
Lets use United; Hojlund or Zirkzee? Lisandro or Yoro? Maz or Shaw? Amad or Garnacho? Eriksen or Mainoo?
Arsenal? Their second string would be players like Party, Jorginho, Jesus, Trossard, Calafiori?

Again and again; biggest clubs are built for 60+ games. They even have 2nd goalkeepers who would be starters in lots of other clubs. Not to mention best youth prospects in the country.

They have a person (manager) who needs to use that assets in best fashion. It is his job.

1) Surely staff welfare is for the employer to manage

2) If your employer doesn’t listen go to the Union

3) If your employer doesn’t respect you, get a new one

Well looking at him tonight he definitely needs a break but Pep won't bench him

You cannot compare. Clubs will have sponsors putting pressure on, huge expectations from fans too. It’s not the same thing. It’s a bit naive to say oh just go talk to HR.

The players are asking the powers that be to stop adding more and more games. It cannot be sustained
Shouldn't the strike have happened years ago then. FIFA and UEFA have been expanding for the last decade. Why is it a problem now?

Maybe the wages have also gone up in the same way games have gone up. Rodri has also just had 2 months off. As has Foden. Sounds like his employer looked after him after a grueling season. This is also why Rodri is a terrible spokesperson for this message.

What do you think would happen if a player said that he’s not playing say 15 games from a potential 75? He’d be told, you play when we need you. If he kicked up a fuss he’d be kicked out as a troublemaker, someone who doesnt play for the team
But again that is the club as the employer's responsibility regardless of if its 50, 60 or 70 games. If your player is telling you they are tired or their wellbeing is being affected, then you can play them less. Every club in every top flight league has the resources to do this.

A strike is meaningless as this scenario only applies to a small percentage of players at a tiny percentage of clubs, and it is in the club's interest to keep their best players happy and at their best.

The solution wouldn't be to remove games from the fixture list because if a player is being forced to play too often it comes down to their individual club managing them badly/irresponsibly amd the solution then is to go play for a different one

Too many games being played and its going to get worse with the club world cup. We get threads from time to time with people complaining they dont find football as interesting anymore or the games are boring. We are overfed football. Its on continuously. Trim back the competitions make them feel meaningful again.
I hope the players strike.
The really ugly truth is FIFA are killing the game in their relentless push for more and more money and their leadership filters down through the leagues.

If managers don't/won't rest players throught such a packed season,
then players will have to ask not to play in certain games.

Teams with very thin squads, or a big gulf in quality between the starting 11 and their bench-
they are fecked more than they already are today.

The new CL format is a sham. I only became aware of it yesterday and I presumed Platini was behind that crap.
Only to remember he's been dealt with to some capacity at least.

Him and Haaland must have been on strike tonight.

Rodri might be a great player but he has always been utterly lacking in self-awareness eg when on losing side versus Scotland last year in Euro qualification.

Given his status, he should be able to manage his workload in private with Pep and the Spanish national team coach.

Its a dumb and incredibly spoilt argument and its one of the things that really grinds me about modern football.

I wouldn't pretend playing 50+ games a season as an elite level athlete and being expected to not let your performance level drop is easy or reasonable, as I wouldn't know, but here's the thing:

a) The reason teams have a manager and a squad is precisely to manage this. If someone is tired you can rest them.
b) It is elite/top level sport. It isn't supposed to be f*cking easy or pander to anyone. You're meant to be the best in the world at it for a reason.
c) Not overworking employees is the responsibility of the employer and every single top level football club has both enough playing personnel to not overwork anyone and enough resources to get more personnel if they don't.
d) If resting players means a team might be less likely to win then good. The function of a sport isn't to make it as easy as possible for the best to have an advantage over everyone else.
e) If you are tired the correct thing to do is ask your employer/team for a rest, not threaten to go on strike against football. This would be like the police striking because criminals are committing too much crime. It makes absolutely no sense.

So in summary, feck off.
:+1:

Rodri might be a great player but he has always been utterly lacking in self-awareness eg when on losing side versus Scotland last year in Euro qualification.

Given his status, he should be able to manage his workload in private with Pep and the Spanish national team coach.

Yeah and this is also why they brought in 5 subs.

38 league matches, at least 2 cup games, plus at least 8 CL games. That's at least 48 games with approx 25 man squad.

There's loads of games in there to give players time off.

As I understand the issue, Rodri is concerned about the number of matches that players like himself are playing in a calendar year.

I assume that this issue of too many matches applies solely, or almost solely, to the highest level footballers. I don't believe League One footballers are being subjected to the same schedule. This is an assumption on my part as I don't have any info one way or the other.

So, it's the players who are regulars for their national teams, those playing in numerous competitions throughout the year, those on clubs that do extensive pre-season tours, etc.

Those are also the players who've seen astronomical increases in their wages over the last 25 years. Those wage increases have largely come about because of football globalization and the numerous economic opportunities arising that clubs have taken advantage of.

It seems that playing 60+ times a year may be a pre-requisite for footballers earning 200/300/400k and more per week.

They need to realize that they've been benefited from this comercialization of football as well. It's not a normal profession but by any means they get compesated pretty well.

Don't have any sympathy for him to be honest.

He's paid huge amounts of money to play football. He earns more in a year than most of us see in our entire lives.

As others have said, if he is tired, it is his manager's job to rotate the squad and manage his minutes accordingly.

If he is unhappy about how often he is playing he needs to have a private conversation with his manager rather than squealing to the media.

He could always leave City and play for a less successful club that doesn't go on deep cup runs every season, if he's that worried about the taxing on his body.

But we all know he won't do that.