Players 'close' to going on strikes - Rodri

I think it’s more a problem for City due to how many trophies they have won over a short period. It changes the priorities of players.

I very much doubt any player in the Villa squad will be having a quiet word with Emery asking for a rest during the mid-week CL matches.

Rodri is right, there are too many more matches now but not for the reasons he’s putting forward.

Purely because it’s more matches that absolutely fecking nobody wants not any of that player welfare shite.

This new Cl format is absolutely shite, the staggered kick off times, the fact about twenty television companies have rights to show the Cl to the point I don’t even know which channel is showing what and when.

The two legged playoff round is another shite thing nobody really needs to see. Just do it over one leg you fecking idiots. And now that this has come to pass why are the EFL still insisting on a two legged league cup semi.

The club World Cup. I mean seriously, does anyone anywhere give a toss about this? Apart from probably Brazilians. They’re the only ones who’ve given a shit about this tournament previously so will assume that’s the case.

I have absolutely no sympathy for the players however. They created this environment with their wage demands and their agents. This is a consequence of that. And let’s face facts, it only really affects a handful of clubs. Most footballers it doesn’t affect. As @noodlehair said, this can easily be fixed by squad rotation.

Perhaps Rodri should look at his own manager and ask why when Manchester City play an away game in the league cup against league one Oxford United, Guardiola picks Rodri, Foden and Bernardo in his starting line up. If Pep gave more of a shit about the tiredness of his players and less about how many trophies he can add to his collection, perhaps city players wouldn’t be complaining about playing too many games. But he doesn’t, which is why he’s happy to dope his players and send out a full strength city team at home to Blackpool rovers in the fa cup third round.

Perhaps Rodri should look at his own manager and ask why when Manchester City play an away game in the league cup against league one Oxford United, Guardiola picks Rodri, Foden and Bernardo in his starting line up. If Pep gave more of a shit about the tiredness of his players and less about how many trophies he can add to his collection, perhaps city players wouldn’t be complaining about playing too many games.
Asking Pep to care about literally anything other than adding to his precious trophy collection is like pissing into the wind.

He cares about one thing - what he wants, and couldn't care less how it's obtained, even if it hurts other people and breaks the rules of the game.

How many more games are they legitimately playing than say 20 years ago?

Are there that many more games these days than historically? My perception is the problem for players is more a result of modern-day pressing focused tactics.

The bolded is it. The intensity of the modern game is far more demanding than say 20 years ago. The athleticism of players has increased significantly but the human body has a limit, too.

As I understand the issue, Rodri is concerned about the number of matches that players like himself are playing in a calendar year.

I assume that this issue of too many matches applies solely, or almost solely, to the highest level footballers. I don't believe League One footballers are being subjected to the same schedule. This is an assumption on my part as I don't have any info one way or the other.

So, it's the players who are regulars for their national teams, those playing in numerous competitions throughout the year, those on clubs that do extensive pre-season tours, etc.

Those are also the players who've seen astronomical increases in their wages over the last 25 years. Those wage increases have largely come about because of football globalization and the numerous economic opportunities arising that clubs have taken advantage of.

It seems that playing 60+ times a year may be a pre-requisite for footballers earning 200/300/400k and more per week.
I understand what you're saying - and get the argument.

But from a health (both physical and mental) perspective - just because you're an elite player, get called up to play for your country and earn x amount doesn't mean the governing bodies should be allowed to run these players into the ground by overloading them with games. There's only so much a body can take before it breaks and the governing bodies need to be more responsible for managing this.

If you look at other sports where salaries are comparable - mainly NFL / NBS / NHL - they all have regular off seasons to allow their bodies to recover.

I’m curious because you’re saying we have to go abroad if we want global pull. That’s clearly not true.

So tell me why do they need to go to the States every year?

Do they? I didn't realise every year we go to the states. I didnt realise Australia / Thailand are also known as the states.

Maybe because our shirt sponsor who is a American company, who pays us more than any sponsor used to pay us 30 years ago. People must be deluded to think that we would get money but not have to play a few games in pre season where it suits them.

Why do you think City over the last few years since growing their brand are travelling alot more, same with Spurs. Why do you think Spurs go to Asia?

Last edited:
And this is what Rodri is on about, it isn't about the current number of games, it's about the increased number of games and the fact that no one consulted the players

Do you know how many footballers there are? If every single footballer is consulted, then I am not sure you will get the right answers.

Or is it that we only consult the ultra rich ones?

Do they? I didn't realise every year we go to the states. I didnt realise Australia / Thailand are also known as the states.

Maybe because our shirt sponsor who is a American company, who pays us more than any sponsor used to pay us 30 years ago. People must be deluded to think that we would get money but not have to play a few games in pre season where it suits them.

Why do you think City over the last few years since growing their brand are travelling alot more, same with Spurs. Why do you think Spurs go to Asia?

Does it genuinely please you that a private company has power over Manchester United? Like, does that make you happy?

It’s so weird to me that anyone can feel that way.

Do you know how many footballers there are? If every single footballer is consulted, then I am not sure you will get the right answers.

Or is it that we only consult the ultra rich ones?

Yes. We only limit the games of the players that play too many games.

The conversation has nothing to do with the players that are under a manageable physical load. Why would they be asked?

Does it genuinely please you that a private company has power over Manchester United? Like, does that make you happy?

It’s so weird to me that anyone can feel that way.

I mean they dont have power.

I understand you dont want United to have commercial deals but in the world we live in, those are necessary to compete with the rest.

The problem is the internationals. The league season hasn't changed too much really but it seems every break is taken over with stupid friendlies and the nations league.

Internationals should only be qualifying for the big tournaments and then the tournaments themselves.

It would solve so many issues.

I mean they dont have power.

I understand you dont want United to have commercial deals but in the world we live in, those are necessary to compete with the rest.

What are you on about? Of course I want United to have commercial deals.

What are you on about? Of course I want United to have commercial deals.

But not from private companies?

I find it interesting that you look at this situation and think oh players overworked.

When you actually look at it, there are other reasons the players wont mention.. like their own commercial deals. So they have to do their own bits, like players who sign up to Addidas, Nike etc.. and others have to fly across and do shoots.

I guess you dont mind players getting commercial deals where they have to have a number of shoots but its bad if the club gets commercial deals.

The point Rodri is making is clearly correct. If players are overplayed, the quality of the football they produce is reduced. Which is bad for fans.

And if your solution is for the best players to be rotated more, that's hardly ideal for fans either. Because typically we want to see the best players playing the best possible level of football, especially if we're paying increasingly high ticket prices to go see those games.

And yet the immediate knee-jerk response of so many people is to criticise the players and make braindead comparisons to nurses, teachers, etc. In effect siding with the football bodies who are looking to extract as much money as possible from fans through a diluted product with higher prices, rather than the actual talent we pay to watch.
Succinctly and accurately put, thank you. Felt I was losing brain cells reading some of the initial posts.

Rodri is right, there are too many more matches now but not for the reasons he’s putting forward.

Purely because it’s more matches that absolutely fecking nobody wants not any of that player welfare shite.

This new Cl format is absolutely shite, the staggered kick off times, the fact about twenty television companies have rights to show the Cl to the point I don’t even know which channel is showing what and when.

The two legged playoff round is another shite thing nobody really needs to see. Just do it over one leg you fecking idiots. And now that this has come to pass why are the EFL still insisting on a two legged league cup semi.

The club World Cup. I mean seriously, does anyone anywhere give a toss about this? Apart from probably Brazilians. They’re the only ones who’ve given a shit about this tournament previously so will assume that’s the case.

I have absolutely no sympathy for the players however. They created this environment with their wage demands and their agents. This is a consequence of that. And let’s face facts, it only really affects a handful of clubs. Most footballers it doesn’t affect. As @noodlehair said, this can easily be fixed by squad rotation.

Perhaps Rodri should look at his own manager and ask why when Manchester City play an away game in the league cup against league one Oxford United, Guardiola picks Rodri, Foden and Bernardo in his starting line up. If Pep gave more of a shit about the tiredness of his players and less about how many trophies he can add to his collection, perhaps city players wouldn’t be complaining about playing too many games. But he doesn’t, which is why he’s happy to dope his players and send out a full strength city team at home to Blackpool rovers in the fa cup third round.

Yeah I agree with most of this.

I don't necessarily think more football is a bad thing but its becoming too diluted and pandering towards the bigger teams/money aspect of it and the competition element gets lost in all that. The CL group stage was already a bit of a bore where there's too many cannon fodder games and the draw is deliberately set up to minimise any threat to the bigger clubs. Now the new format I don't even know if it matters who wins what games. There's no direct competition at all because you just play some random assortment of teams and will probably finish above enough of the crap ones anyway.

Same with the Euros which has ben shite since they made it 24 teams and also decided almost no one should go out until the knockout stages. The amount of games is no problem except that over half of them are completely fecking pointless. How about 24 teams but only 8 go through so playing for a 1-1 draw isn't an option in every single bloody group game and you can't get to a final by scoring about 2 goals?

But yeah none of this has anything to do with a very tiny percentage of professional footballers playing too many games because neither they or their club are willing to compromise on it, which is entirely their own problem. If you sell your soul to be paid 200k a week, this is what tends to happen. There is a sacrifice/commitment involved, and like with any other job if you don't like it you don't HAVE to do it or you can go and do it somewhere else that is more willing to take your preferences into account.

Pep can convince his players to run themselves into the ground for him which is a credit to his ability to manage in a way, but its completely pointless doing that for him and then whining about it. No one is being enslaved to their employer here or denied their basic workers rights. The idea Rodri can't say to Pep "I'm too tired, this is affecting my wellbeing. Please give me more rest" is stupid. As is the idea football should go on strike because a tiny number of players at a tiny number of clubs might be put in a position where they need to have this conversation, which is completely normal conversation a lot of us have probably had with our employer/manager at some point in time.

Also being lost in this is the fact Rodri, although undeniably a very good footballer, is a massive whingebag.

But not from private companies?

I find it interesting that you look at this situation and think oh players overworked.

When you actually look at it, there are other reasons the players wont mention.. like their own commercial deals. So they have to do their own bits, like players who sign up to Addidas, Nike etc.. and others have to fly across and do shoots.

I guess you dont mind players getting commercial deals where they have to have a number of shoots but its bad if the club gets commercial deals.

Your straw men collection must rival Diddys Baby Oil stockpile.

Manchester United are a huge global brand. They will attract sponsorship revenues due to that. All will be from Private Industry. But accepting a sponsorship deal that has absolute requirements that leave the club beholden to travel to a country and play games there, is daft. The tail is wagging the dog. I’d argue that it’s a necessity to have an aspect of it in the contract, but not every single summer. I’d also argue that hosting the MLS Champions or two largest teams, at Old Trafford, would add a gravitas to the club that jogging around in California, doesn’t.

That you’re equating a two day photoshoot every 2-3 years with a player being overworked through an additional 10-15 matches, is childish or stupid. Not least because the vast majority are held in England.

Your straw men collection must rival Diddys Baby Oil stockpile.

Manchester United are a huge global brand. They will attract sponsorship revenues due to that. All will be from Private Industry. But accepting a sponsorship deal that has absolute requirements that leave the club beholden to travel to a country and play games there, is daft. The tail is wagging the dog. I’d argue that it’s a necessity to have an aspect of it in the contract, but not every single summer. I’d also argue that hosting the MLS Champions or two largest teams, at Old Trafford, would add a gravitas to the club that jogging around in California, doesn’t.

That you’re equating a two day photoshoot every 2-3 years with a player being overworked through an additional 10-15 matches, is childish or stupid. Not least because the vast majority are held in England.

I mean where do you see 10-15 games added a season? In club games where is this coming from? You have shown 0 evidence of this.

Also, only teams that get to finals of every cup competition will have to play those many games, which is like 1 team once in like 10 years. How often does a PL club get into all cup comps final in a season?

They can all sod off. Piss easy lives being paid millions to play a game with people to take care of their every need.

Go join the armed forces, the NHS,
Or work in an Amazon warehouse for 6 months and let me know if you still want to go on strike.

Seriously, if they strike then we should boycott all their games

I mean where do you see 10-15 games added a season? In club games where is this coming from? You have shown 0 evidence of this.

Also, only teams that get to finals of every cup competition will have to play those many games, which is like 1 team once in like 10 years. How often does a PL club get into all cup comps final in a season?

Foden played 72 games last year. Alvarez played 75.

Stop saying this only affects the players playing all the games! That’s the topic!

You are literally arguing against counting.

Taking abu dhabi blood money makes him disgusting. It doesn't make him wrong on this issue though

That might very well be the case, but it's infuriating how shameless or just straight up uninformed some of these footballers are. No PSG/City/Newcastle player has a right to say anything about any injustice IMO when they're being employed and paid by fecking despotic regimes. feck all of them

Foden played 72 games last year. Alvarez played 75.

Stop saying this only affects the players playing all the games! That’s the topic!

You are literally arguing against counting.

Its like 0.01% of players. Lets reduce the games by 30% because 0.01% of players play too much.

Great logic.

Also where did you get 72 games from?

Its like 0.01% of players. Lets reduce the games by 30% because 0.01% of players play too much.

Great logic.

Also where did you get 72 games from?

Fcuking hell lad. It’s not lower all player numbers by X%. It’s ’ensure that players do not play 70 games a season’.

If you lower elite matches down to a sustainable number, say 50-55ish, the job is done. The 99% are not the people we’re talking about, so stop referencing them.

Managers just need to rotate more and use their youth squad. It's literally the job of being manager to manage the squad for the fixture list.

Fcuking hell lad. It’s not lower all player numbers by X%. It’s ’ensure that players do not play 70 games a season’.

If you lower elite matches down to a sustainable number, say 50-55ish, the job is done. The 99% are not the people we’re talking about, so stop referencing them.

Okay can you breakdown the 72 games Foden played last season please? and Alvarez?

The problem is the internationals. The league season hasn't changed too much really but it seems every break is taken over with stupid friendlies and the nations league.

Internationals should only be qualifying for the big tournaments and then the tournaments themselves.

It would solve so many issues.

That would be a great start. And as someone else already mentioned as well, exclude the teams playing in Europe from the League cup. It's doesn't have the pull or prestige of the FA cup anyway so separating the two a bit more could be a good thing.

That would be a great start. And as someone else already mentioned as well, exclude the teams playing in Europe from the League cup. It's doesn't have the pull or prestige of the FA cup anyway so separating the two a bit more could be a good thing.

I'm unsure about that as pretty much 50% of the Prem now plays in Europe and I feel it would damage the cup too much.

What I would do is as well as scrapping all pointless internationals, I'd scrap all replays in cups. However, the drawn team in a lower division gets to choose if they play at home or away. Basically meaning if the draw was Exeter V Utd they could still choose to play at old Trafford and get the financial rewards. I'd keep this rule until the Qtr Final where it reverts back to being played as the draw is made, but still no replays.

Most the top clubs use their second team for the early cup rounds anyway so I don't really believe this as a drain on players at the top clubs.

The quality of football is going to fall drastically with these many fixtures
Its honestly too much they should go on strike

Jesus Christ lads, it was a thirty second Google. “That’s why I want him to give me a breakdown”. Give over.

Last season he only played 53 with an average of 80 minutes per game?

This is why I want him to give me a breakdown of where he is getting 72 games from? I suspect he was counting pre season and behind closed door games.

It excludes pre season matches.

Before the inevitable chirps of ‘what about this guy or that guy’… go and look it up yourself. I’m using the most extreme example as that’s what’s being quoted everywhere.

Remember the players at the top clubs are looking at last season, and the following two. Some players will have ZERO rest between seasons. Season end into Nations League into Club World Cup into Community Shield / Season opener. Then the same the following year with a World Cup.

What part of counting or calendars are you struggling with?

There’s so much info out there. Hundreds of opinion pieces by journos that have done the heavy lifting for you.

Players are speaking. FIFPRO have released studies. Hamstring injuries are up from 12% to 24% of time spent out of the game. (The Hamstring being the most common circuit breaker through overuse).

Indulge in the debate honestly. Give this a listen and see if it reframes how you think about it.

Podcast link

I’ve just skipped through it a little, it covers dates and volume, I’m not supporting everything said, but it feels like you’re running on vibes. Or a sense of ‘they’re paid enough just shut up’ or ‘It’s up to the teams’.

The calendar is full. I’d quite like the best players to be fit as I like watching football. The governing bodies and clubs want money. More games = More money. I want to watch great football. If you don’t, all good.

Jesus Christ lads, it was a thirty second Google. “That’s why I want him to give me a breakdown”. Give over.

It excludes pre season matches.

Before the inevitable chirps of ‘what about this guy or that guy’… go and look it up yourself. I’m using the most extreme example as that’s what’s being quoted everywhere.

Remember the players at the top clubs are looking at last season, and the following two. Some players will have ZERO rest between seasons. Season end into Nations League into Club World Cup into Community Shield / Season opener. Then the same the following year with a World Cup.

What part of counting or calendars are you struggling with?

There’s so much info out there. Hundreds of opinion pieces by journos that have done the heavy lifting for you.

Players are speaking. FIFPRO have released studies. Hamstring injuries are up from 12% to 24% of time spent out of the game. (The Hamstring being the most common circuit breaker through overuse).

Indulge in the debate honestly. Give this a listen and see if it reframes how you think about it.

Podcast link

I’ve just skipped through it a little, it covers dates and volume, I’m not supporting everything said, but it feels like you’re running on vibes. Or a sense of ‘they’re paid enough just shut up’ or ‘It’s up to the teams’.

The calendar is full. I’d quite like the best players to be fit as I like watching football. The governing bodies and clubs want money. More games = More money. I want to watch great football. If you don’t, all good.

Again, I cannot see where Foden or Alvarez has played 70+ games, I am still waiting for you to show me the breakdown rather than a tweet from ESPN.

Your comment about 0 rest is a lie again, like the number of games, you are just making things up to try and push this. Can you show me any player that has had 0 rest?

Footballers get minimum 3 weeks off after a season, regardless if you played International tournaments or not, during the season players all get 1/2 days off a week as well.

Right now, you mention Foden, he played alot last season, this season he has been rested by Pep and only back in the starting 11 now. So he has had whole of August and 1 /2 of September where he isnt starting games.

I like what you are doing... make things up and then ask me if I am struggling to understand. I do fail to understand false information, yes you are correct.

Feels like club v country conflict is becoming comparable to T20 v Test Match in cricket ie West Indies had separate teams in different formats and players specialise or retire from one as they age given workload.

If Rodri believes he can only sustain top performances for 40-50 games a season then City should demand he limits his international appearances (especially seasons where no Euros or World Cup) and if he isn’t willing to do so he will end up back at Atletico or a comparable tier 2 team.

Make the League Cup a tournament for u23s with only 3-5 above age players for EPL teams. There should be a lot of dead rubbers for city in new champions league format anyway.

Alvarez decided to play in the olympics. Games’ have no football heritage. Presumably aside from cash this is part of reason Pep happy for him to leave.

I'm pretty sure Lampard played more than 70 games once and more than 60 multiple times. I'm not having that he didn't run or work as much as players nowadays.

How many games did the likes of Scholes and Giggs play in the late 90s/early 00s when you guys were winning everything?

20 or 30 years ago, clubs were allowed fewer subs and the sports medicine was not as good.

Rodri should have a chat with Pep before he goes on strike.

Again, I cannot see where Foden or Alvarez has played 70+ games, I am still waiting for you to show me the breakdown rather than a tweet from ESPN.

Your comment about 0 rest is a lie again, like the number of games, you are just making things up to try and push this. Can you show me any player that has had 0 rest?

Footballers get minimum 3 weeks off after a season, regardless if you played International tournaments or not, during the season players all get 1/2 days off a week as well.

Right now, you mention Foden, he played alot last season, this season he has been rested by Pep and only back in the starting 11 now. So he has had whole of August and 1 /2 of September where he isnt starting games.

I like what you are doing... make things up and then ask me if I am struggling to understand. I do fail to understand false information, yes you are correct.

You’re living in a fantasy land mate. Utterly wrong headed bollocks that’s denying observable reality. Must be fun.

You’re living in a fantasy land mate. Utterly wrong headed bollocks that’s denying observable reality. Must be fun.

As to what make things up figures ? Saying a player played 72 games when he played 61. Adding games based on what you feel?

Make claims like some players get 0 days recovery between seasons, but cannot show me one player who has that?

So if I disagree with incorrect information Its denying observable reality? Must be fun to make things up and believing its true.

I'm pretty sure Lampard played more than 70 games once and more than 60 multiple times. I'm not having that he didn't run or work as much as players nowadays.

How many games did the likes of Scholes and Giggs play in the late 90s/early 00s when you guys were winning everything?

20 or 30 years ago, clubs were allowed fewer subs and the sports medicine was not as good.

Rodri should have a chat with Pep before he goes on strike.

Its all a joke. The players are not playing 20% more club games like one poster is claiming. Like you say, the players then played similar amounts, they had smaller squads, worse pitch conditions and were still playing at the top for years.

I had a poster claim yesterday.. the extra fixtures is a reason Martinelli is looking a shadow of his former self.. those are the takes we are dealing with now, a player who has played 1 good season.

But no one will mention Lampard, Gerrard, Giggs, Scholes playing those games for 10 year period.

Lets look at recent times, Ronaldo, Messi, Benzema, Kroos, Modrid etc are all playing high level football and high volume of games for years and still actually improving in their 30's.

As to what make things up figures ? Saying a player played 72 games when he played 61. Adding games based on what you feel?

Make claims like some players get 0 days recovery between seasons, but cannot show me one player who has that?

So if I disagree with incorrect information Its denying observable reality? Must be fun to make things up and believing its true.

Click the link, read the content. I’m not going to pore through databases and make a list for you. The numbers are cited everywhere.

More recently, this quotes a potential 85 matches for Rodri. Link (you have to click it to know what’s in it)

This link has further details. Link - this link has content with links for further reading.

Here is the FifPro study Another link! Still need to click to read the data

And again, here is the Podcast I linked before, that I’ve now listened to in full, it has sources, and all of the information you need. It is an impossibility to read all this, and listen to the analysis, and cling to the idea that all players get 3 weeks rest and all the other guff you believe.

Click the link, read the content. I’m not going to pore through databases and make a list for you. The numbers are cited everywhere.

More recently, this quotes a potential 85 matches for Rodri. Link (you have to click it to know what’s in it)

This link has further details. Link - this link has content with links for further reading.

Here is the FifPro study Another link! Still need to click to read the data

And again, here is the Podcast I linked before, that I’ve now listened to in full, it has sources, and all of the information you need. It is an impossibility to read all this, and listen to the analysis, and cling to the idea that all players get 3 weeks rest and all the other guff you believe.

Ok so potentially 75 games is a different to "Foden played 72 games"

I am not querying that the new format of CL has more games, there is no one arguing that.

Instead of sending me talk sport links why dont you read and respond?

1. you mentioned that Foden and Alvarez played 72 and 75 games, I am just asking you to back that up, so far I have seen no evidence that shows that.
2. You said that some players get 0 days off, when that is false, there is a minimum 3 weeks they have to get off between seasons and managers tend to give players time of during the season.