PL Title Race

They are favourites right now but no way is the title race over. Liverpool didn't lose at Anfield for something insane like 2+ years and then lost there 3 times in a row in January. Chelsea were going to win the league and possibly retain the CL in November and now they can't buy a win and Tuchel is supposedly getting sacked. I know Pep is far safer and City have a much longer track record of success but change comes quickly and a couple of key injuries and a shitty patch of form and City can easily drop a bunch of points.
Post below alter your view?
To put it into perspective: 50 points out of 60. If they go 40 out of 54 from here to the end of the season, that's 90 points. It means liverpool would need to pick up 49 points from 57 from here on out just to match that and hope to win on GD. For Chelsea it's 48 from 54. Arsenal? 55 from 57. Spurs 60 from 66. United 62 from 66

It's over.

do you realise that in the first ten years of the premier league united were more dominant than city are now? (city have won 5 in ten years, united won 7 in ten years)
did that kill the premier league as a spectacle?

equally the winning margins united had were on average bigger than citys winning margins
united 18, 11, 10, 10, 8, 7, 4 (average 9.7)
city 19, 12, 2, 1, 0 (average 6.8)

also add in 5 different champions in the last 10 years as opposed to 3 different champions in the first 10 years when united won 7.

where there has been a change is the number of teams in the top 4.
7 different teams in the decade city have been dominant
10 in the first decade of the premier league
however that change happened before city owners arrived, the ten years before they arrived there were 7 different teams
Yes, it killed the PL as a spectacle. It wasn't particular popular in the 90s, the Italian league was the strongest. PL right now has a genuine chance of establishing itself as a super league, if it somehow manages to ensure that the Title isn't a foregone conclusion and there's more of a fight.

City needs a challenger, it’s beyond ridiculous at this stage. City have already broken Tuchel with their consistency and Klopp was spent mid way through his actual solo title winning year.

@MongeySpangle everything else aside, does is bother you where the money comes from?
I feel it’s something that any reasonable City fan must recognise. But I can support the team I love and appreciate what the Abu Dhabi United Group have done for our club whilst still condemning the various human rights violations that have been quite rightfully exposed against them.

I can understand the discomfort it causes people, and everyone knows that City are a means of deflecting any contemporary wrongdoings that the organisation are involved in. Unfortunately, it’s completely out of mine or anyone on here’s control, so what is it people expect to happen? All I can say is it’s easy to have the moral highground about what is a very complex situation when it’s not the club you’ve supported for years involved in the centre of it.

Reactions: Cheimoon
I feel it’s something that any reasonable City fan must recognise. But I can support the team I love and appreciate what the Abu Dhabi United Group have done for our club whilst still condemning the various human rights violations that have been quite rightfully exposed against them.

I can understand the discomfort it causes people, and everyone knows that City are a means of deflecting any contemporary wrongdoings that the organisation are involved in. Unfortunately, it’s completely out of mine or anyone on here’s control, so what is it people expect to happen? All I can say is it’s easy to have the moral highground about what is a very complex situation when it’s not the club you’ve supported for years involved in the centre of it.

Fair enough, the last sentence is really true. I think I would be really put off if a random dictator bought the club, but who knows, it would be really difficult to just disconnect from the club.

Yet another United fan making our own successes about them. As if we care what you think about what we’re doing. Your self importance and arrogance never ceases to amaze me.
Yes I am amused by the united supporters who claim a City winning doesn’t bother them because of oil money. How can anyone want their crosstown rivals to be top dog in the same city and basically call another team (Liverpool) as their main threat. If it was Everton doing this to us I would be beside myself and this has been(City winning) going on for years. Years.

Starting to become a one side league.
Soon to be 4 out of 5 titles
5 out of 6 League Cups.

What bothers me the most is since Pep arrived we have spent near the same and the level in sides is night and day. Money helps a lot but you need the right coach to use it

City have moved up to a seemingly unreachable level. I remember early on not being convinced they'll finish above both Liverpool and Chelsea. Title race over.

We actually don't seem to start many seasons as title favourites. Both the last two seasons the general consensus has been that we won't be able to do it without a striker.

5 out of 6 League Cups.

What bothers me the most is since Pep arrived we have spent near the same and the level in sides is night and day. Money helps a lot but you need the right coach to use it
City are cheats they have flunked ffp and there money is not organic. We do things the right way, they also can't fill there stadium. I can't ever get a ticket at OT while city sell theres on the streets

Yes I am amused by the united supporters who claim a City winning doesn’t bother them because of oil money. How can anyone want their crosstown rivals to be top dog in the same city and basically call another team (Liverpool) as their main threat. If it was Everton doing this to us I would be beside myself and this has been(City winning) going on for years. Years.

A very strange take on things. How can City be top dogs in Manchester when Utd are the top dogs in England.

We had to put up with years of Liverpool the 2nd biggest club in England dominating. When SAF took over his objective was to knock you off your perch & make the biggest club in England also the most successful. He did this with aplomb.

We have had a bad few years but the saving grace is that we still hold the title. A large reason for this is down to Abu Dhabi & Pep. If City hadn't been taken over Liverpool would likely by now have taken the record back.

I would say most Utd fans are bothered by City's recent success. We are bothered for the wrong reasons though. It is the fact that they have cheated their way to victory rather than their accomplishments having any sporting merit.

The trophies we won during our period of dominance were satisfying but almost as satisfying were the reactions of the salty ABU's. The only retort many had was to accuse us of buying the league. This didn't work though as SAF's spending record said otherwise.

City have been a underachievers for the majority of their existence. I'm sure many of their fans are happy they are now winning trophies. It is hollow success though if you don't have the respect of your peers. Rival clubs will say City have bought their titles & the records will show that they indeed have spent the most.

5 out of 6 League Cups.

That is a one sided league, and who stops them really? They’ll drop off after Pep goes, but whose in a position to take advantage? We’re due a rebuild and likely aren’t going to win any more leagues. That 97 point season is probably as unluckily as you’ll be in sports. Chelsea and United, Chelsea in particular are always a manager away but that’s because they’re the other club who have the money.

It’s an incredible team and coach, and when you’re that good fortune and circumstances tend to fall your way too.

It might be more open when pep goes, but really they still look the best positioned to me to carry on winning.

Yes, it killed the PL as a spectacle. It wasn't particular popular in the 90s, the Italian league was the strongest. PL right now has a genuine chance of establishing itself as a super league, if it somehow manages to ensure that the Title isn't a foregone conclusion and there's more of a fight.

PL is already pretty much a super league. The only competition is Barca and Madrid.

The match against Chelsea, if not postponed, will end in a draw.
And then we will struggle more once Salah and Mane leave for AFCON.
City are going to walk the league this season. Can't see them dropping 7-10 points from here on.
Our best bet for major silverware this season is the UCL.

City's unlimited spending power allows us United fans to rationalise that any title they win is unfair and also we aren't fighting on a level playing field so, its easier to downplay their success whereas we can't do the same with Liverpool's success. I used to feel this way myself until quite recently but now I'm a bit conflicted in what I want because city winning all the time sucks as a football fan. I kinda feel sorry for Klopp because he's done an incredible job but he's only won 2 titles so far(both big ones admittedly) but it completely pales in comparison to what City have achieved recently.

Our best bet for major silverware this season is the UCL.

Surely you go for the League Cup at this stage no? That has to be much easier than the CL, and there's a big chance Inter cause problems for you.

I do think the league is done, City are a machine.

City's unlimited spending power allows us United fans to rationalise that any title they win is unfair and also we aren't fighting on a level playing field so, its easier to downplay their success whereas we can't do the same with Liverpool's success. I used to feel this way myself until quite recently but now I'm a bit conflicted in what I want because city winning all the time sucks as a football fan. I kinda feel sorry for Klopp because he's done an incredible job but he's only won 2 titles so far(both big ones admittedly) but it completely pales in comparison to what City have achieved recently.
I was taking to a scouser the other day and he was saying if Pep wasn’t around, Klopp would have won more titles. I replied “if Pep wasn’t around, Fergie would have won 3 or 4 CL in a fecking row”.

Man Utd with Pep and a decent DOF above him would have dominated the league the way City does. Utd's spending is similar to City's anyway.

I am willing to bet no Utd fans would complain about dominating the league with Pep as the manager.

Surely you go for the League Cup at this stage no? That has to be much easier than the CL, and there's a big chance Inter cause problems for you.

I do think the league is done, City are a machine.
Honestly would love to win the League Cup and even the FA, which I regard as an important trophy.
Unfortunately Klopp doesn't.

I think this weekend could be the one that either gives us a bit of hope if Arsenal can get a result and we beat Chelsea. If we don’t get a result and City wins then this will be the weekend where I think even Klopp writes us off.

I think this weekend could be the one that either gives us a bit of hope if Arsenal can get a result and we beat Chelsea. If we don’t get a result and City wins then this will be the weekend where I think even Klopp writes us off.

It's Jan 1 so too early whatever happens.
But Liverpool should be pleased if they can keep the points gap the same after thus weekend, and will be utterly delighted if they can lower it.

To think everyone had basically awarded City the title already!

how that go for you?

League done by New Year’s Day. Draw tomorrow for Chelsea/pool just aswell confirms it. Loss for either one completely rules them out.

It’s theirs now after this. In fact they are now the best team the PL has ever seen by far. The only thing keeping them out of the best the top league has seen is Europe.

A Chelsea win tomorrow please. I'll even take a Lukaku hattrick.

League done by New Year’s Day. Draw tomorrow for Chelsea/pool just aswell confirms it. Loss for either one completely rules them out.

Welcome to the premier League, where the winner is decided by January.

And they said the super League meant there would be no competition.

It’s theirs now after this. In fact they are now the best team the PL has ever seen by far. The only thing keeping them out of the best the top league has seen is Europe.

Don't fall for this wum guys!

Bingo, I’d rather see City win than Liverpool. The choice is easy.

Best team in world history surely.

League decided by 3pm on the 1st of January!! Best league in the world though

Best team in world history surely.
At the moment yes. In history not a chance with no European Cups. In the PL even without Europe Pep has the best team by far since English teams ruled Europe in the 70s/80s. At this pace he is averaging 92 points for the last five years against a strong PL. Credit where credit is due.

At the moment yes. In history not a chance with no European Cups. In the PL even without Europe Pep has the best team by far since English teams ruled Europe in the 70s/80s. At this pace he is averaging 92 points for the last five years against a strong PL. Credit where credit is due.

Oh I thought we were just chatting windup nonsense. You started it :lol:

The best english team of all time is the time is the United team in 99. All three major trophies in one season.

League decided by 3pm on the 1st of January!! Best league in the world though
You seem to be personally offended that people (rightly) hold the Premier League as the best league in the world currently. I mean it's not exactly like there's a lot of competition with the state the other leagues are in.

You seem to be personally offended that people (rightly) hold the Premier League as the best league in the world currently. I mean it's not exactly like there's a lot of competition with the state the other leagues are in.

What competition is there in the PL? The battle for top 4? WOW!