Phil Jones

He does have a way with exaggerated facial expressions. We can only join in the laughter with everyone else.

He had a really good game last night. I loved his physicality. Maybe use him against Stoke? Him and Vidic would be good. Both physical and good headers of the ball.

Of course you don't because he's been your main excuse for our lack of midfielders forever. You're one weird fella.

Yeah it's pretty funny. I think after the Real match Twigg posted "amazing tonight, feck everyone who said he can't play midfield", or something along those lines, yet he is our best player last night, playing his natural position, and he comes out with that nonsense.

I wouldn't say odd, he's just an idiot.

Yeah it's pretty funny. I think after the Real match Twigg posted "amazing tonight, feck everyone who said he can't play midfield", or something along those lines, yet he is our best player last night, playing his natural position, and he comes out with that nonsense.

I wouldn't say odd, he's just an idiot.

Indeed, and against Real he was virtually a fifth defender yet he impressed Twigg greatly in his midfield role.

I think it's because he said once that our midfield is easily good enough and then we've (almost) won Premier League so he'll be trying to convince everyone that he was right. Jones helps him because if you start playing him in defence there'll be no cover for Carrick and we'll be short of numbers. He's always trying to go against the popular opinion either by going over the top ('what a performance! Amazing, wonderful, one of the best ever!' or something along the lines after a fairly ordinary game against Madrid) or having an odd opinion like here.

He's said since his arrival that he thinks he's going to be a midfielder and not a center back, I don't expect him to change that opinion. I just find it hilarious (or maybe just a WUM) that he makes a comment like that after he plays his best game in defense for ages against the next best team in the league.

One thing for sure he will be the future United & England captian.

Great thing is that he gives a shit. I'm still at a loss as to why people think Smalling is a better centre-half.

Great thing is that he gives a shit. I'm still at a loss as to why people think Smalling is a better centre-half.

That's because at this moment, Smalling is the better defender. He wouldn't have sold himself so easily to Aguero last night that's for sure. Jones is the better footballer though.

That's because at this moment, Smalling is the better defender. He wouldn't have sold himself so easily to Aguero last night that's for sure. Jones is the better footballer though.

I don't agree but we can all have our own thoughts.

Im not sure about that currently. I think the right back thing hasnt done Smalling much use really. Ive noticed him being a bit more rash and not as composed as he looked previously. I think he needs a lot more games, especially given the his career to date.

Phil Jones' face is just something else. When standing still, he's not a bad looking boy. As soon as his lungs are deprived of a small percentage of oxygen, a portal to hell is opened up, and Phil Jones' face is replaced with the face of the Antichrist.

I like him though. He's a bit of a lump, and as clumsy as it gets, but he's definitely a centre back naturally. His two seasons at Blackburn playing at centre back were terrific. He's not a composed and calm Rio type, he's more of a body-in-the-way-of-everything Vidic type. Brave enough to put his head on the end of anything, and makes some excellent last-ditch tackles which often go unappreciated.

I think he does well as a defensive midfielder too, though could do with a bit of a tactical crash course on reading the game as his positioning in midfield can often be left wanting. But he's a good presence, great tackler and a tough kid who doesn't appear to lack confidence. As a right back, I don't rate him there. I don't think he's quite the dribbler. he's reletively mobile for his size, but he lacks that acceleration to be able to keep up with those quick movements a winger is likely to make around him. He's always said that centre back is where his game lies, and I certainly do believe that. He's had a couple of stinkers playing there, but he's so young and you have to accept inexperienced players will make mistakes

As a character, he reminds me of Rafael at his age. The ability is there, but he doesn't look like he's fully matured physically and keeps getting injured. He also has boundless enthusiasm, and is perhaps looking to take on a little too much sometimes. Those sorts of things are quite admirable, but I imagine he will settle down as he gathers more experience. I do see him more as a Vidic successor than the answer to our midfield problems.

I thought he had a bit of a nightmare in the first 15 minutes and was constantly out of position, which is to be expected when he's not played CB in so long. After that period though he really settled down and I thought he had a good game. On the goal he just slightly shifted his body weight too far to one side and Aguero had the beating of him on the sprint.

I'm happy to see him play at CB but please no more of this CM bullshit

I thought he had a bit of a nightmare in the first 15 minutes and was constantly out of position, which is to be expected when he's not played CB in so long. After that period though he really settled down and I thought he had a good game. On the goal he just slightly shifted his body weight too far to one side and Aguero had the beating of him on the sprint.

He has his uses in that role as the games against Everton and Madrid are proof of. Not sure why anyone would still be so reluctant to see him there.

He has his uses in that role as the games against Everton and Madrid are proof of. Not sure why anyone would still be so reluctant to see him there.

Because it provides another excuse for not signing a bloody CM.

Agreed, and I reckon it's very likely Fergie would have played him in the midfield last night, had he not been without three centre backs. It could have made a big difference as well.

I felt he dove in too early when all that was required was to continue to marshall Aguero in the direction he was moving. Once he went for that tackle at the top of the area Aguero got the space he needed, was a fantastic finish, though.

Agreed, and I reckon it's very likely Fergie would have played him in the midfield last night, had he not been without three centre backs. It could have made a big difference as well.

Totally agree - Im sure Jones would have played midfield last night but Fergie was forced to play him as CB, where he did very well of course.

Best talent under 23 at our club along with Rafael. No one else is even close.

He was great yesterday and I'm so glad we have him, he is the kind of player you can build a winning team around. And I'm sure SAF's plan is for him to be a future number one CB, but he wants to school him a bit first.

water-balloon-shock-face.jpg

The boy is destined for greatness. Give him a full season free of serious injury and he'll be running the show, for both United and England. Armband soon to follow.

Surely De Gea is at least equal to those two, I personally think De Gea stands the best chance out of all three to become world class. I would say Welbeck is up there as well, once he adds finishing to his game he's going to be extremely good. Not that this really matters though.

The boy is destined for greatness. Give him a full season free of serious injury and he'll be running the show, for both United and England. Armband soon to follow.

A work colleague mentioned today that Gary Neville last night compared Jones to Robson and Keane at the same sort of age; not sure if he misheard it but high praise if true.

He was great yesterday and I'm so glad we have him, he is the kind of player you can build a winning team around. And I'm sure SAF's plan is for him to be a future number one CB, but he wants to school him a bit first.

De Gea.

A work colleague mentioned today that Gary Neville last night compared Jones to Robson and Keane at the same sort of age; not sure if he misheard it but high praise if true.

I'm not ready to go that far, as I never had the chance too Robbo or Keano at that age. But I really like what I see in Jones right now. He's a bit raw still but he's got heart...gotta love that.

Keep an eye on Powell too, but that's another thread for another day.

De Gea and Rafael have shown much more than Jones, lets not get carried away after a good match at centre back. Smalling has had plenty of those, Rafael's one of the best right backs going and de Gea is arguably the best in the league this season.