Phil Jones

A work colleague mentioned today that Gary Neville last night compared Jones to Robson and Keane at the same sort of age; not sure if he misheard it but high praise if true.

Gary Neville said as soon as we signed him that he believed Jones was destined for greatness and touted him as future club and country captain. I think you can see the leadership in him already. Less so when he plays RB, but at CB and DM, he's very vocal and commanding, and always has been, even since he was an 18 year old in his debut season. He's got a long way to go, especially with maintaining fitness, but he's an animal. I think he will be huge for us in the coming years.

And again:

480055_10151480150404279_165124729_n.jpg

:lol:

Did well today, nothing flash or going forward. But was solid at the back and did his job well.

Crazy to think he's still 20/21. Anyone think he'll be one of those players who rack up 600 appearances for us? He's played a lot of matches already.

He was absolutely fantastic at right back again today. He almost never has poor games at RB and can also put in a fantastic cross. He really is a very good option to have when Rafael isn't available.

He has to play in every game whether it is at RB, CB or CM he is simply awesome.

He is considerably more mature already than he was even at the start of last year. This despite being injured for most of his career here. Very impressive progress.

I always said my preferred position for him is RB. Rafael coming on leaps and bounds means it's a tricky one though. Is Phil going to be an O'Shea in that he fills (Phils) in where we need him? Or is he too good for that?

If we are ever going to beat Barca, we are going to need players like Phil Jones. Power, speed and committment to counter tiki taka. He really is an outstanding talent, and together with smalling and Evans, gives us a great backbone for the future.

He's been great lately hasn't he, not to mention he's been played in 3 different positions and still been among MoM contention in the majority of his games. Great talent I hope he can loose the injuries he tends to pick up and crack on now I can see him being one of our most important defenders in the coming years.

I always said my preferred position for him is RB. Rafael coming on leaps and bounds means it's a tricky one though. Is Phil going to be an O'Shea in that he fills (Phils) in where we need him? Or is he too good for that?

I think we can aim higher than that. He could be what Essien was for Chelsea (before injuries fecked him up)

I still remember the horror of him almost single-handedly turning round that game against Arsenal we needed them to lose so we could win the league, he was playing at right back at the time.

Thought he was ok. Some really over the top comments on here. He was pretty average going forward tbh. Good defensively though.

You can see why Fergie is always gushing about him. The lad is ace! Critically, in terms of mentality and attitude he seems to be better than see of our other youngsters.

Great defensively as usual, but if he wants Rafaels spot then he needs to work hard on his attacking ability.

His composure on the ball in the RB position isnt good enough imo, too many times he just hoofs the ball forwards instead of looking for a pass inside or down the line.

That 1 of Rafs best abilities, he always seems to find a pass even when under pressure.

I think he just needs to tuck in a little closer to Carrick, at times he seems very far away.

Looks like he has been picked today solely for defending corners, I think I seen him in behind van Persie at one point.

It'll be interesting in the second half to see if it continues because it could very well be intentional. Rooney seems to be dropping back and receiving the ball and then Jones goes and occupies the space he has left. It could be done to keep Rooney and his creativity involved but also not to keep us short of bodies up top.

It'll be interesting in the second half to see if it continues because it could very well be intentional. Rooney seems to be dropping back and receiving the ball and then Jones goes and occupies the space he has left. It could be done to keep Rooney and his creativity involved but also not to keep us short of bodies up top.

He's crowding out his own team mates.

If his job today was to be completely anonymous he did it fantastically well, I genuinely had to check 3-4 separate times to make sure he hasn't been subbed out while I wasn't paying attention.

When it seems to be happening so often you have to theorise a bit that it might be intentional.

Wait, what?

Jones is going to be one hell of a player but he was shite tonight.

I'd really like SAF to stop playing him all over the pitch.

Apparently saying he was clueless from a positional sense and should have been off at some point was "pathetic" from me.I still don't understand his use in this match, granted he was a little better in the second half

I have no idea what his role was meant to be. First half he was further forward than Rooney, second half I have no idea where he was meant to be.

He can do a man-marking job in midfield but games like today, he should not be playing in midfield unless it's a 4-3-3.