Patrice Evra Hates Thursdays | West Ham on a free?

Evra had options. He could have pointed the guy out to the police, he could have narrated the exchange in a post match interview, he could have written an article about it, he could, in short, have started a conversation, a process where the outcome would have been a raising of awareness or even consciousness (as is happening now post-Weinstein). He didn't. Instead, the 36 year old father and career millionaire kicked him in the head, undoubtedly spawning imitators in Marseille school playgrounds the next day, the only influence he's had since moving there. Quit twisting your blood trying to exculpate the guy. He is not powerless.
...this all being hypothetical if it indeed wasn't racial.
At no point have I excused Evra. I even said I don't think the incident was racial, and if it wasn't, he had no grounds to do what he did. It's more a conflation of making two points than anything else.

Outside of Evra, and on to this as an independent point: no it wouldn't. Racism and sexual harrasment/abuse are not equatable. One is intrinsic and a cornerstone of society extending into football, just as it does all walks of life, the other is taken to task and agreed upon as wrong across the board, pretty much whenever brought to light.

The case will be heard by UEFA by 10. November:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ra-charged-attacking-marseille-supporter-uefa

According to the article UEFA have issued a 1 match ban for Evra (temporary; I assume it will get extended when the case is heard), and they have also charged Marseille for pitch invasion of fans and for setting of firecrackers.

I will only say it will be interesting to see what the outcome of this case will be.

Marseille ultras banner for Evra today: You thought you were bigger than the club & the fans.We don't want you in our colours. F**k off Evra.

Last edited:
What is shocking in this story is the lack of security forces.

How is it possible - in 2017 in a context of violence & terrorist attacks - to have some football fans close to the pitch?

Time to head for the MLS or some other non European league, I guess.

Time to head for the MLS or some other non European league, I guess.

cant say I am shocked , banned till June 2018 , you cant go round kicking fans , Eric did the same and paid the same price.
I presume that Marseille will now sack him for gross misconduct.

He's only banned from European competition. Can still play in French league and cup games.

Edit: Scratch that Marseille just terminated his contract by mutual agreement.

Henry Winter had said it was European competition only.

Did it come to light what the fan said then? There’s a lot of pages to read through!

17:07
Evra's been sacked
Well that escalated quickly.

Wonder if he’ll still be in a good mood on Monday?

View image on Twitter
DOSUjVMWAAUCbM9.jpg:small

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/929032420132835328
Sky Sports News

✔@SkySportsNews

BREAKING: @OM_Officiel sack Patrice Evra after incident involving fan in Marseille’s Europa League game at Vitoria SC. #SSN

5:06 PM - Nov 10, 2017

Did it come to light what the fan said then? There’s a lot of pages to read through!
Get out of the club and back to your instagram videos, with a fair amount of insulting language.

I would think its fair to disclose what fan said to Evra, given the length of the ban.

Get out of the club and back to your instagram videos, with a fair amount of insulting language.

Isn't that what the banner read. ? Not what was said originally, prior to the kick.

17:07
Evra's been sacked
Well that escalated quickly.

Wonder if he’ll still be in a good mood on Monday?

View image on Twitter

Sky Sports News

✔@SkySportsNews

BREAKING: @OM_Officiel sack Patrice Evra after incident involving fan in Marseille’s Europa League game at Vitoria SC. #SSN

5:06 PM - Nov 10, 2017

Why Is Sky quoting Marsellie's twitter page nothing on there about Evra being sacked, although you can find the statment on Marsellie's home page.

Ah right. Any reason why they hate him so much (before the kick).

Take back what I said on the first/second page of this thread then. Everyone was just assuming it was racism.

Take back what I said on the first/second page of this thread then. Everyone was just assuming it was racism.

no they weren't.

"Nothing justified such a reaction, especially from a senior player whose attitude both on and off the pitch should inspire the youngest of us"

Perfect words by Marseille.

Why Is Sky quoting Marsellie's twitter page nothing on there about Evra being sacked, although you can find the statment on Marsellie's home page.

It's standard twittiquette (all rights reserved) to quote twitter page of the person you are taking about in your tweet. Like England tweeting "Welcome back @youngy18"...

no they weren't.

"Nothing justified such a reaction, especially from a senior player whose attitude both on and off the pitch should inspire the youngest of us"

Perfect words by Marseille.
Check the first page. There was a lot of discussion around it.

Don’t start that argument again :lol:

A deserved ban.

Frankly it was embarrassing reading posts on here from people assuming it was racism and praising him for kicking someone.

He was really bad and they expressed that opinion during games which Evra didn't like. After the game against Rennes Canal plus, who were taking images for a show, caught him insulting fans and saying that he would meet them on the parking lot which he didn't do. From that point not only they hated him for his performances, but also because he had a big mouth and because of his video where according to them, Evra was showing no respect for the club and was too jovial for a player playing that bad.

He was really bad and they expressed that opinion during games which Evra didn't like. After the game against Rennes Canal plus, who were taking images for a show, caught him insulting fans and saying that he would meet them on the parking lot which he didn't do. From that point not only they hated him for his performances, but also because he had a big mouth and because of his video where according to them, Evra was showing no respect for the club and was too jovial for a player playing that bad.
What a shame. Used to love Evra, what an utter tit he’s turned out to be.

I love Evra but that's idiotic.

What's going on there then? Why is all hell breaking loose with their own fans?

cantona like ban for that.

Huge ban incoming. Criminal charges? If you did that on the street you’d be in trouble.

Just seen that, it's a one year ban in today's climate and Marseille might void his contract.

Intention is not that important, or rather intention has causality with effect.

If the fan wasnt hurt then a good lawyer will get Evra off with a slap on the wrist. A fine that Evra can pay off in a week most likely and some community service.

It will be argued that this is out of character, no criminal record, he's a positive influence in his local communtiy etc. and it would be convincing.

He's toast.

The guy probably said something racist, I’m not going to criticise Pat here. What a fecking hero

Pat is not going to do this without some serious provocation. I'm waiting to hear the details.

He's fecked.

I seriously doubt Evra did this without incredibly high provocation.

If it's racism then the punishment for Evra should be minimal - for too long black players have been putting up with this disgraceful, cowardly garbage with clubs getting pointless fines etc.

Meh. I'll not criticize Evra for anything short of burning down an orphanage filled with kids.
Sorry, Mr. Pedantic.

just a select few comments from page 1-2. hardly anyone mentioning racism. Its not pedantic, it's just you thinking everyone thinks like you retrospectively.

What a shame. Used to love Evra, what an utter tit he’s turned out to be.

To be fair iirc he leaves in Marseille, so if the fans were on his back on a daily basis I could understand that he lost it. Obviously I'm just assuming.

Sign him up! Bring back King Evra
Are you trolling? Or have you not watched any football in the last 3 years?

Evra was shocking for us in his last season here. Palace pulled out of signing him in the summer which should tell you everything. He is complete and utter liability.

Why is is that whenever a former Man Utd player is involved with some shit, they ALWAYS make a point to state that he is a former Man Utd player.
WTF does that have to do with it if he is not even at our club anymore? They just have to get that dig in there.

Why is is that whenever a former Man Utd player is involved with some shit, they ALWAYS make a point to state that he is a former Man Utd player.
WTF does that have to do with it if he is not even at our club anymore? They just have to get that dig in there.

Generates more clicks and ad revenue.