Oliver Glasner

They’ve played Kamada all over the place, not strictly CM.

Sarr is not an adequate Olise replacement, seemed more a cheaper signing to add the numbers to a thin squad.

In fact they didn’t seem to make a single ambitious signing over the Summer which is a problem when the team showed so much promise last year and then lost two key players.
Basically this, were happy with the money and didn't want to tie one of their best players (who did want to stay) to a big contract, so moved him on. Hard to not agree with @Shipperley that Parish is quite clearly a massive hinderance to Palace, who had a real platform to build on this summer, but decided against it.

Nice piece, thank you!

You can’t sack the owner, but you can do like us: Black banners, protests, boycotts, stadium break ins, start an alternative club in lower divisions, change the support colours, and start anti-owner interest groups and take-over-fundraisers for two decades to sack 25% of the owner ;)
There was a little protest at Arsenal away last season just before Roy left but Palace fans have a weird relationship with Parish and our balance sheet in general tbh. Older supporters are scarred by the two administrations in 1999 and 2010 so they'll celebrate a healthy balance sheet as if we've signed a world class striker. And to add to that, Parish saved us the second time around, then got us promoted in unexpected circumstances and we've stayed up ever since, so the counter-argument is that he's done a brilliant job with tight resources. Look at some of the clubs that have been relegated in that time and it's a reasonable argument to be fair.

But for me the past is the past and it's the same pattern repeating again and again where he leaves the manager short, then sacks them. Of course he's actually one of four owners (Textor wanting out is another dynamic Glasner's had to contend with) so when I say Parish, I actually mean Parish, Harris, Blitzer and Textor and Parish cops the slack as he's the Chairman. But something has to change at board level IMO.

You keep saying Sarr and Nketiah are Olise replacements despite multiple people including the Palace fan indicating that they aren't.
I did but it's probably not quite as binary as that in reality, that's just my simplistic view. I think the club were hoping for Matheus Franca to have an impact this season as well, in which case on paper:

Last season's attacking options: Eze (but was injured for 30% of the season), Olise (but was injured for 50% of the season), Schlupp, Ayew, Mateta, Edouard
This season's attacking options: Eze, Kamada, Sarr, Franca, Mateta, Nketiah

If you consider the number of games Olise missed last season you could reasonably look at that and think over a 38 game season we should be able to get a similar haul from the new players. Kamada has played Champions League football, has won the Europa League and done well for Glasner, whilst Nketiah has pedigree. It just turns out Kamada is hopeless, Franca got injured straight away and Nketiah has struggled to fit in to the system.

I did but it's probably not quite as binary as that in reality, that's just my simplistic view. I think the club were hoping for Matheus Franca to have an impact this season as well, in which case on paper:

Last season's attacking options: Eze (but was injured for 30% of the season), Olise (but was injured for 50% of the season), Schlupp, Ayew, Mateta, Edouard

If you consider the number of games Olise missed last season you could reasonably look at that and think over a 38 game season we should be able to get a similar haul from the new players. Kamada has played Champions League football, has won the Europa League and done well for Glasner, whilst Nketiah has pedigree. It just turns out Kamada is hopeless, Franca got injured straight away and Nketiah has struggled to fit in to the system.
I think the crux of it is that all the players bought are right footed, when the reason (in my opinion) why it worked so well for you was having two players in Eze and Olise on opposite sides with the opposite strong foot.

Didn't Olise's return from injury coincide with your great run (if I recall, the last third of the season)? And what's the story now with Textor and the other two?

Disappointed to see Kamada playing badly, really liked him at Frankfurt and thought he would be a good signing for Palace given Glasner is manager.

Disappointed to see Kamada playing badly, really liked him at Frankfurt and thought he would be a good signing for Palace given Glasner is manager.
True, going to Lazio really destroyed him as a player. Was a terrible move, he should have simply stayed in Frankfurt.

True, going to Lazio really destroyed him as a player. Was a terrible move, he should have simply stayed in Frankfurt.

It was rumoured that Dortmund would sign him when he was moving to Lazio, don't know if they didn't end up offering or he declined. That would've been a much better move for him.

I think the crux of it is that all the players bought are right footed, when the reason (in my opinion) why it worked so well for you was having two players in Eze and Olise on opposite sides with the opposite strong foot.
Oh I agree 100%, the balance is completely off now.

I'm sure there's a player in there and we're only 8 games in, hopefully he'll settle and prove me wrong. I just don't really see where he fits in...nowhere near physical enough to play CM, nor productive enough to play CAM. He's a bench player at best...which means there's an Olise shaped hole in the 11.

And not to forget your new world class striker Mr H. Balance-Sheet!
Older supporters are scarred by the two administrations in 1999 and 2010 so they'll celebrate a healthy balance sheet as if we've signed a world class striker.