Oliver Glasner

Dropped like a stone since they won the cup final against us and bantered us.

Love to see it.
They didn't really. They were excellent before the game against us and beat Villa 5-0 in the very next game.

Can't get past losing your best/second best player and replacing him with a free signing, or losing your best defender and not replacing him at all.

They didn't really. They were excellent before the game against us and beat Villa 5-0 in the very next game.

Can't get past losing your best/second best player and replacing him with a free signing, or losing your best defender and not replacing him at all.

Olise was always gonna leave, looks like they were happy to let Anderson leave too.

They spent on Nketiah and Chalobah.

People have been eager to lay the boot into Wharton, but their talisman, Eze, has dropped off a cliff form wise. He’s gone from a player whose agent must’ve been eyeing a big 4-6 move for to someone who doesn’t even look like he can be better than middling in the PL. one weird collective juju going on at that club.
Apparently Wharton has been struggling with injury since the Euros and he probably needs surgery at some stage. Bit of a strange one.

Got to assume the Kamada signing was driven by Glasner and he seems not at all suited to the Premier League so that's on him. And now due to how inept Kamada is alongside him, Eze is trying to do everything himself whereas he seems the kind of player who is at his best with players at his level he can link up with. Got to feel sorry for him now seeing his old mate Olise playing alongside world class players in the Champions League...

But Sarr and Nketiah seem expensive unnecessary signings by someone else, seeing how neither suit Glasner's 3-4-2-1 as Nketiah can't hold the ball up and Sarr is more of a winger. So they've spent a load of money but caused more harm than good...and there's surely pressure to play Nketiah but he has shown no signs of having the required link up play to help Eze.

So yeah, think a lot of it is down to the transfer business being poor. But if Glasner really is a top manager he needs to change the system to get more of the players.

I think it's a bit of both. Glasner provided the set up to make those three thrive but the loss of Olise can't really be understated.
Yea, absolutely fair. Would think Eze is struggling more without Olise too, much easier to just have to defend against one main threat than have to worry about his mate on the other side too.

Interesting... their best defender is clearly Guehi but for your agenda will go with Anderson. They signed 2 CB in Lacrouix and Riad. Also, they signed Kamada on a free who you refer to but also Nketiah and Sarr, so I am not sure what you mean by not replacing when both played for replaced by 4.

Apparently Wharton has been struggling with injury since the Euros and he probably needs surgery at some stage. Bit of a strange one.
That’s not good. They’re potentially jeopardising his future for short-term gain if he’s playing injured enough to need surgery.

Interesting... their best defender is clearly Guehi but for your agenda will go with Anderson. They signed 2 CB in Lacrouix and Riad. Also, they signed Kamada on a free who you refer to but also Nketiah and Sarr, so I am not sure what you mean by not replacing when both played for replaced by 4.
Replacement doesn't necessarily just mean getting a player in who plays in the same position if the players have vastly different styles.
That’s not good. They’re potentially jeopardising his future for short-term gain if he’s playing injured enough to need surgery.
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...-wharton-injury-surgery-glasner-b1188794.html

Yep. Also indicates a recruitment problem that they can't afford to lose him.

Replacement doesn't necessarily just mean getting a player in who plays in the same position if the players have vastly different styles.

Well that is obvious because no 2 players are the same.

However; replacing a CB with 2 CB's is replacing.

Buying a winger and a ST to replace Olisse is still replacing.

It is very difficult for a club like Palace to identically replace Ollise, so what would be better? them not try to sign players to replace them? Just give up?

Well that is obvious because no 2 players are the same.

However; replacing a CB with 2 CB's is replacing.

Buying a winger and a ST to replace Olisse is still replacing.

It is very difficult for a club like Palace to identically replace Ollise, so what would be better? them not try to sign players to replace them? Just give up?
If a manager has a specific style and you replace said player in that style with two players that don't suit or fit it, then that's a problem with recruitment, no? Hence not adequately replacing him.

If a manager has a specific style and you replace said player in that style with two players that don't suit or fit it, then that's a problem with recruitment, no? Hence not adequately replacing him.

Agreed but if you are a manager of Crystal Palace, you cannot expect your best player to stay considering the teams after him, with a relatively cheap release clause.

Secondly, if you fall of a cliff after one player leaves, is it the manager was good or the player just carried the manager?

Agreed but if you are a manager of Crystal Palace, you cannot expect your best player to stay considering the teams after him, with a relatively cheap release clause.

Secondly, if you fall of a cliff after one player leaves, is it the manager was good or the player just carried the manager?
I don't think you'd expect them to stay but you'd expect a player who fit your style to come in. The Kamada deal is on Glasner but the Sarr and Nketiah deals don't appear to be.

It can be both. Olise is a genuine world class talent in that position so you're not going to replace him like for like but what should have happened is getting in a player who would fit into the side and function in the same manner that he did. I don't think that's happened.

I don't think you'd expect them to stay but you'd expect a player who fit your style to come in. The Kamada deal is on Glasner but the Sarr and Nketiah deals don't appear to be.

It can be both. Olise is a genuine world class talent in that position so you're not going to replace him like for like but what should have happened is getting in a player who would fit into the side and function in the same manner that he did. I don't think that's happened.

And top managers adapt to that, Olisse left pretty early on and they replaced with proven PL players in Nketiah and Sarr.

You cannot give the manager all the credit when the team was playing well and then dissolve him of all blame when the team is sitting in the relegation zone.

And top managers adapt to that, Olisse left pretty early on and they replaced with proven PL players in Nketiah and Sarr.

You cannot give the manager all the credit when the team was playing well and then dissolve him of all blame when the team is sitting in the relegation zone.
It just doesn't sound like you are taking on board the points that are being made so best to end the discussion there. Proven PL doesn't mean anything if they're a completely different player to the player they're replacing for a system that the manager defines himself on and was functioning at an exceptional level the season before.

While they are in the relegation zone I don't think they've been that bad per say and been unlucky. If you look at expected points then they'd be a few places higher. It's still very early in the season and could well be that they improve into mid table.

Do you anything about him?
Swedish, only youngish 46 and took over at Aberdeen in the summer. He's got them flying in the SPL. They've won 13 out of 14. Drew the other one at Cetic on the weekend. I think he's also been linked with Southampton if they pot their manager.

It's really nuanced this, my view is...

In Glasner's defence

> Preseason was interrupted by an unusual amount of key players being in international finals (4 in the England squad and 2 in the Colombia squad)
> We did the majority of our business right at the end of the window, including some big departures like Andersen, so that compounded the issue of him not having a proper preseason to integrate the new players
> We didn't sign a couple of players that we so obviously needed in the window, that's a left footed CAM and more wing-backs. I view Sarr as the Ayew replacement and Nketiah as the Edouard replacement, neither are Olise replacements. I guess that's Kamada who I'm sorry to say is one of the worst players I've seen in a long time. The backups to Munoz and Mitchell at wing back are still Joel Ward, Nathaniel Clyne and Jeff Schlupp. So in other words, there are no backups. Wing-backs are vital to the system so that was negligent from the board, Munoz has also gone off a cliff without a left footed attacker to overlap
> A few players seem unsettled at the moment, Parish has said Eze was expected to go and we had all the fuss around Guehi as well
> Both Wharton and Cheick Doucoure have been injured, that's our first choice midfield pairing
> We're playing poorly but most of our games have been down to fine margins and losing by the odd goal. Eze's free-kick against Brentford being disallowed due to a rogue referee's whistle, shots coming back off the post or going an inch wide, a GK howler last night...seems every tight thing is going against us at the moment. Our goal difference is -6 compared to -10, -12 and -13 from the teams around us so we're definitely not as leaky as Wolves, Saints and Ipswich.

You just get the feeling that if we can manage to shin one in and hold out then our season would turn.

Criticisms of Glasner

> We've had decent patches in games (eg Everton first half) but are yet to put together a good 90 minute performance
> Heads seem to drop as soon as we're put under any pressure and conceding feels inevitable (eg Everton second half)
> Players seem a bit confused about the system but he won't change it. A 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 would make more sense to me with the players we have now it's apparent the back 3 system isn't working
> Dreadful at attacking set-pieces
> Kamada. He doesn't have the end product to play behind the striker and he's not physical enough to play CM. Nevertheless Glasner keeps starting him. Ismaila Sarr has shown way more when he's come off the bench but can't get a game unless it's down the middle. I suspect the insistence on playing Daichi will get him sacked in the end
> Weird in-game management...Schlupp at RWB last night is an example of the regular 'WTF-ery' from the bench. I can see the players are thinking it as well

I really like him and really want him to succeed, I also firmly believe he's been set up to fail by penny-pinching Parish. This was the summer to try and kick on, instead we ended the window with a ~£30m profit and the manager missing some key components for his system. And not for the first time may I add, we did it to Vieira too and completely sucked away any positive momentum we'd built. But ultimately you can't sack the owner and 3 points from 8 games is a disaster. The squad is badly imbalanced but there is still enough quality there to be sat in the middle of the pack.

It feels inevitable that he will go and a Moyes type character will come in because I don't think he's the kind of manager you want in a relegation battle. And the cycle will likely continue for as long as Parish is there.

Reactions: Fortitude
Nketiah and Sarr are nothing like Olise, and Andersen was as good as Guehi last year.

In Glasner's defence

> Preseason was interrupted by an unusual amount of key players being in international finals (4 in the England squad and 2 in the Colombia squad)
> We did the majority of our business right at the end of the window, including some big departures like Andersen, so that compounded the issue of him not having a proper preseason to integrate the new players
> We didn't sign a couple of players that we so obviously needed in the window, that's a left footed CAM and more wing-backs. I view Sarr as the Ayew replacement and Nketiah as the Edouard replacement, neither are Olise replacements. I guess that's Kamada who I'm sorry to say is one of the worst players I've seen in a long time. The backups to Munoz and Mitchell at wing back are still Joel Ward, Nathaniel Clyne and Jeff Schlupp. So in other words, there are no backups. Wing-backs are vital to the system so that was negligent from the board, Munoz has also gone off a cliff without a left footed attacker to overlap
> A few players seem unsettled at the moment, Parish has said Eze was expected to go and we had all the fuss around Guehi as well
> Both Wharton and Cheick Doucoure have been injured, that's our first choice midfield pairing
> We're playing poorly but most of our games have been down to fine margins and losing by the odd goal. Eze's free-kick against Brentford being disallowed due to a rogue referee's whistle, shots coming back off the post or going an inch wide, a GK howler last night...seems every tight thing is going against us at the moment. Our goal difference is -6 compared to -10, -12 and -13 from the teams around us so we're definitely not as leaky as Wolves, Saints and Ipswich.

You just get the feeling that if we can manage to shin one in and hold out then our season would turn.

Criticisms of Glasner

> We've had decent patches in games (eg Everton first half) but are yet to put together a good 90 minute performance
> Heads seem to drop as soon as we're put under any pressure and conceding feels inevitable (eg Everton second half)
> Players seem a bit confused about the system but he won't change it. A 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 would make more sense to me with the players we have now it's apparent the back 3 system isn't working
> Kamada. He doesn't have the end product to play behind the striker and he's not physical enough to play CM. Nevertheless Glasner keeps starting him. Ismaila Sarr has shown way more when he's come off the bench but can't get a game unless it's down the middle. I suspect the insistence on playing Daichi will get him sacked in the end
> Weird in-game management...Schlupp at RWB last night is an example of the regular 'WTF-ery' from the bench. I can see the players are thinking it as well

I really like him and really want him to succeed, I also firmly believe he's been set up to fail by penny-pinching Parish. This was the summer to try and kick on, instead we ended the window with a ~£30m profit and the manager missing some key components for his system. And not for the first time may I add, we did it to Vieira too and completely sucked away any positive momentum we'd built. But ultimately you can't sack the owner and 3 points from 8 games is a disaster. The squad is badly imbalanced but there is still enough quality there to be sat in the middle of the pack.

It feels inevitable that he will go and a Moyes type character will come in because I don't think he's the kind of manager you want in a relegation battle. And the cycle will likely continue for as long as Parish is there.
Nice piece, thank you!

You can’t sack the owner, but you can do like us: Black banners, protests, boycotts, stadium break ins, start an alternative club in lower divisions, change the support colours, and start anti-owner interest groups and take-over-fundraisers for two decades to sack 25% of the owner ;)

Nketiah and Sarr are nothing like Olise, and Andersen was as good as Guehi last year.
Didn't say they are but your comment was incorrect, which is what I was correcting.

They didnt replace Olisse with a free signing, actually spent good money on 2 signings to replace 1.

You also make an incorrect statement saying they didnt replace their best defender, when in fact they signed 2 CB's.

In Glasner's defence

Criticisms of Glasner

Enjoyed reading that. Thanks!

Can I ask about Ahamada. I thought he looked a good talent. Can see you loaned him this season. Any good or not up to much?

Didn't say they are but your comment was incorrect, which is what I was correcting.

They didnt replace Olisse with a free signing, actually spent good money on 2 signings to replace 1.

You also make an incorrect statement saying they didnt replace their best defender, when in fact they signed 2 CB's.
Nketiah and Sarr did not replace Olise, they were brought to replace squad players they lost. Kamada is Olise’s replacement.

The two CBs, well should have just said did not replace Andersen adequately / timely enough. Their defense doesn’t even seem that bad lately, it’s the attack that is letting them down and this has a lot to do with losing Olise.

Selling Olise and not replacing him was surely not Glasner's idea but he's suffering for it.
Think it also shows people were overrating Eze - there was story about how Palace we planning to sell him for big money but were amazed how little interest there was in him at the level they expected.

Nketiah and Sarr did not replace Olise, they were brought to replace squad players they lost. Kamada is Olise’s replacement.

The two CBs, well should have just said did not replace Andersen adequately / timely enough. Their defense doesn’t even seem that bad lately, it’s the attack that is letting them down and this has a lot to do with losing Olise.

Oh right so signing a Rw because they lost a RW is not replacing him, instead you will count the CM as the replacement because it suits you?

They did replace him because they signed 1 of them prior to letting Anderson go and then they also signed another. So they 100% replaced him.

Oh yes, don't need to tell me, I had posters Redsky and Lefback saying how good Palace were and their team was comparable to ours and with a much superior manager.. after I said its just a new manager bounce.

I also saw loads of tweets about people talking about Glasner implementing a style of play within 1 month of being in the job etc..

People were saying this about Postecoglou last season, or about our very own ten Hag the season before when bashing Ole..."it didn't take ETH 2 years to implement a style of play". I'm sure this was said many, many times in ETH's first season

Oh yes, don't need to tell me, I had posters Redsky and Lefback saying how good Palace were and their team was comparable to ours and with a much superior manager.. after I said its just a new manager bounce.

I also saw loads of tweets about people talking about Glasner implementing a style of play within 1 month of being in the job etc..

People were saying this about Postecoglou last season, or about our very own ten Hag the season before when bashing Ole..."it didn't take ETH 2 years to implement a style of play". I'm sure this was said many, many times in ETH's first season
Yup.

It's actually insane how people keep making the same mistakes with shiny new toys.

Oh right so signing a Rw because they lost a RW is not replacing him, instead you will count the CM as the replacement because it suits you?

They did replace him because they signed 1 of them prior to letting Anderson go and then they also signed another. So they 100% replaced him.
Maybe you should read the Palace fans report to see that you're talking nonsense regarding Olise.

Glasner isn't trying to play the same way as he was last season, so there's no like for like replacement. He's on occasion also playing a split striker system. Yesterday Kamada was some sort of full back. Against Everton he tested Kamada as a 6 with Wharton.

He's tinkering with the team but he's not trying to replicate the Olise role.

Palace are my local team so I like to keep an eye ;)

Swedish, only youngish 46 and took over at Aberdeen in the summer. He's got them flying in the SPL. They've won 13 out of 14. Drew the other one at Cetic on the weekend. I think he's also been linked with Southampton if they pot their manager.

I see, thanks. Might see him in the PL soon, then.

Please just read the post so you don't keep repeating something which isn't true.

forgive me for being dense but this is my post :

"Oh right so signing a Rw because they lost a RW is not replacing him, instead you will count the CM as the replacement because it suits you?"

So here I am talking about Olisse as a RW = winger.

YOu have replied with this.

Maybe you should read the Palace fans report to see that you're talking nonsense regarding Olise.

So if its not about the winger comment what is it? I know you keep telling me to read the post but I dont get what your are trying to do here? What nonsense am I talking about?

forgive me for being dense but this is my post :

"Oh right so signing a Rw because they lost a RW is not replacing him, instead you will count the CM as the replacement because it suits you?"

So here I am talking about Olisse as a RW = winger.

YOu have replied with this.

So if its not about the winger comment what is it? I know you keep telling me to read the post but I dont get what your are trying to do here? What nonsense am I talking about?
It's fairly obvious if you have actually read the post.

We didn't sign a couple of players that we so obviously needed in the window, that's a left footed CAM and more wing-backs. I view Sarr as the Ayew replacement and Nketiah as the Edouard replacement, neither are Olise replacements. I guess that's Kamada who I'm sorry to say is one of the worst players I've seen in a long time.

They’ve played Kamada all over the place, not strictly CM.

Sarr is not an adequate Olise replacement, seemed more a cheaper signing to add the numbers to a thin squad.

In fact they didn’t seem to make a single ambitious signing over the Summer which is a problem when the team showed so much promise last year and then lost two key players.

It's fairly obvious if you have actually read the post.

I mean I dont read every single post on this page, I must admit. So if one poster posts something and I wanted to comment on it, its wrong? unless I read a Palace fan view?

This is the original post I commented on and nowhere do I see any relation to the post you have quoted.

They’ve played Kamada all over the place, not strictly CM.

Sarr is not an adequate Olise replacement, seemed more a cheaper signing to add the numbers to a thin squad.

In fact they didn’t seem to make a single ambitious signing over the Summer which is a problem when the team showed so much promise last year and then lost two key players.

I mean its difficult for a club like Palace to replace someone the calibre of Olisse.

They knew he was going to leave so there are no excuses really in that way.

Its a bit like Eze, you would assume if they have a good season, he will be gone next summer. perhaps they wanted to sell him the summer gone too because didn't one of the Palace board come out saying they were shocked there wasn't more interest?

I mean I dont read every single post on this page, I must admit. So if one poster posts something and I wanted to comment on it, its wrong? unless I read a Palace fan view?

This is the original post I commented on and nowhere do I see any relation to the post you have quoted.
You keep saying Sarr and Nketiah are Olise replacements despite multiple people including the Palace fan indicating that they aren't.