Ole - "I'm 100% sure Michael Carrick will be the manager of Manchester United"

Probably not. However, just a reminder that Pep went from Barcelona B to Barcelona and you could say he did quite well.

I personally don't see Carrick managing us any time soon, but I wouldn't say it's out of the question. Him, like Kompany & Alonso are doing very well at the moment - who's to say they are not the next crop of great managers?

I think a manager's success, especially a newer manager, is based almost more on the structure around him at the club than the manager himself. That's where experience may or may not come into play. If Carrick came to manage us in the future under new ownership with a well oiled set structure of scouting/recruitment/business above him then he wouldn't need the "experience" of a bunch of other clubs as much and would be more free to just focus on his players and the tactical side. For as much as Pep is lauded, each of his 3 clubs has had elite structure in place above him to make his job much more about simply managing his squad instead of managing/dealing with youth/contracts/recruitment/scouting and whatever else that we constantly seem to have our manager's dealing with on top of their own squad.

I failed the exam horribly but i predict that my mate in a lower grade will become the principal one day.

If I were Carrick I would be worried. I mean that's the guy who thought Harry Maguire deserves to be Man United captain.

ETH will be here for a good few years I think. With the backing of our new owners he can take us to the next level. We don’t want another Ole disaster with carrick. People like Carrick will be good for mid table prem teams. He’ll be better than both Gerrard and lampard though.

While Carrick has done well, it's very early to start evaluating him as a top club manager worthy anyway, never mind a Premier league level manager.

Let's not forget Lampard and Gerrard were praised equally at Derby County and Rangers before getting their Premier league jobs and having a spectacular failure.

He also said he'd be successful at United, so there's that.

Fair play to Carrick though, he's going about it the right way. Still a long, long way to go.

Do well at Boro in the PL (if/when he gets there), do well at a Villa/Everton/Brighton, win a trophy at Spurs (I know it's a high bar) and maybe then we'll talk.

I mean in the future if Carrick is successful in the PL with another club: sure I think he'd be a no brainer option

As it stands right now? no chance

It also speaks to how easily fans are willing to capitulate to a neopotism hire - a figure who they remember fondly during the winning years - as opposed to actually evaluating who the best candidate may be.

The amount of bitterness towards Ole is quite funny. Carrick has shown that he is a promising manager, who knows if he went on to do well in the PL where that could take him.

The way I see it is it's nice if there is an association and love for the club, that can rarely be a bad thing IF the appointment is also justified in sporting terms. It means they're going to have loyalty and the club's interests at heart whereas many managers are completely in it for themselves, and the hope is their agenda will usually coincide with what the club also want. It should never be a matter of seeing past better candidates just because of a romanticism.

At the moment he is miles off, that's clear. He's like a young, raw prospect of a player we're keeping an eye on. That's it really. The chances they make it to United are not that high. Probably even less than the raw prospect because there are 25 plus places in a squad and a player doesn't come with the same risk as a manager. But sure, he's worth watching because he has started his career really well.

Nah, I get that, but why do you think it will happen with Rooney?
The moves he's making.

It's super uncommon that English managers in England get a shot at the big teams if they stay in England, and when they finally do they ultimately fail because they don't have big team experience.

If you want a big English club to take you and you want to be successful, you need to go to another league and win stuff, end up managing one of the best teams in that league and play regularly in the CL. Manage those things and you're in with a shout of getting noticed and also having the relevant experience to succeed.

I think his move to America is an opportunity to give himself some credentials and come back to Europe and land a decent job somewhere like Holland or the league below them and work his way up.

Plus, he's said multiple times he wants the United job once he's earned it.

One thing that stood out when he was manager for that very brief period was how organised we looked on the pitch. If he earns his credentials then it would be great for it to work out in the future.

It's weird how well Mckenna and Carrick are doing as managers considering we (well at least I) put a lot of blame on them for our awful tactics and setup etc as it was said they were doing all of the first team coaching. Then rumours starting coming out that Ole was changing the formations that they had prepared the players with, and then on Carrick's first game in charge he did indeed play with a different formation and we looked very good. It's an interesting question regarding what was really going on but I guess we'll not know for years until it comes out in some interview with an ex player.

The issue was the players were training differently from what is being said to do on the pitch. I remember against Liverpool the players were not trained to press them but Ole wanted them to press. The issue was Ole thought he was SAF which he is not and assumed he can treat his job as he would when playing football manager. We all could go on about the failures of Ole. However, in relation to Carrick, I would think he will be a good coach as from recent history states that midfielders are better managers than defenders and strikers.

Ole hasn't been wrong before in fairness....oh wait.

As time goes on you look back at Moyes and Ole and do wonder what we were thinking.

Love Ole, will never say anything bad about the bloke. It may not have been a roaring success here, but the way some talk about him you’d think he’d relegated us.

The answer reads like a chat GPT post - played under SAF and Jose, nice man etc. You could say the same about Rooney.

Carrick is doing very well with Middlesborough, but we've seen with Gerrard and Lampard that doing well in the Championship or weaker leagues doesn't always translate to the PL. He'd need to do well in a PL job first to even think about a shot at the United job.

The absolute state of some children in this thread running down Ole because he had the temerity to say nice things about someone he saw as talented.

It’s like golden era Arsenal TV in here at times.

Carrick is quite clearly a talented coach and manager. He’s currently doing a great job. He was also one of the most tactically perfect players of his generation and was selected by Ferguson to play in one of his greatest sides and is among the most decorated Premier League players of all time.

Going after Ole’s opinions or Carricks potential off the back of it… really poor.

It's a bit of a ridiculous assertion from Ole to be fair! "100% certain"?!

Really? 100%? No doubts at all?! There's about a million things can happen to Michael's career in the next few years, Ole should just let him get on with learning his trade at Boro and not be building him up for a fall!

I recall Keano was being touted at the "heir apparent" to Fergie when he took Sunderland from bottom to top of the Championship in one season. Doesn't always work out like that!

The absolute state of some children in this thread running down Ole because he had the temerity to say nice things about someone he saw as talented.

It’s like golden era Arsenal TV in here at times.

Carrick is quite clearly a talented coach and manager. He’s currently doing a great job. He was also one of the most tactically perfect players of his generation and was selected by Ferguson to play in one of his greatest sides and is among the most decorated Premier League players of all time.

Going after Ole’s opinions or Carricks potential off the back of it… really poor.

It's not clear though. As I said earlier, same was said about Gerrard and Lampard in their first years as a manager. I like the guy but people are jumping the gun in evaluating his capabilities as a coach. His abilities as a player doesn't mean much when it comes to coaching football teams anyway.

For those (like me) who don't know what Carrick is up to - he is the manager of Middlesbrough who are 4th place in the Championship.

Here's a good article:
https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...le-since-middlesbrough-hired-michael-carrick/

And this is the table, if we start the season on the day that Carrick took over (his first 16 games).

1. Burnley – 15 games, 40 points, +21 GD
2. Middlesbrough – 16 games, 37 points, +18 GD
3. Sheffield United – 15 games, 35 points, +15 GD
4. West Brom – 15 games, 31 points, +9 GD
5. Sunderland – 15 games, 28 points, +12 GD
6. Luton – 15 games, 26 points, +6 GD
7. Coventry City – 18 games, 26 points, +6 GD
8. Watford – 16 games, 24 points, 0 GD
9. Hull City – 16 games, 21 points, +2 GD
10. Millwall – 14 games, 20 points, +3 GD
11. Norwich City – 15 games, 20 points, +2 GD
12. Bristol City – 14 games, 19 points, +2 GD
13. Preston North End – 14 games, 19 points, -6 GD
14. Stoke City – 15 games, 18 points, +1 GD
15. Birmingham City – 15 games, 18 points, -5 GD
16. Reading – 12 games, 16 points, -7 GD
17. Huddersfield Town – 16 games, 16 points, -8 GD
18. Blackburn Rovers – 14 games, 16 points, -8 GD
19. Swansea City – 15 games, 15 points, -1 GD
20. Cardiff City – 16 games, 14 points, -5 GD
21. Rotherham United – 16 games, 12 points, -19 GD
22. Wigan Athletic – 15 games, 11 points, -14 GD
23. Blackpool – 15 games, 9 points, -12 GD
24. QPR – 16 games, 9 points, -18 GD

Carrick is doing great things right now and may well move up the managerial food chain to someday lead United to glorious endeavour.

Carrick has implemented a modern style of football (high-pressing + Juego de Posición) that's basically been the blueprint to success these last few years in world football (especially amongst league winners), and he's completely transformed Boro.

He will be one of the biggest candidates for the job in the future if he has continued success at either Middlesbrough or a PL team (could see him at West Ham, or even Spurs in a few years).

Has he actually? I've never watched Boro under Carrick.

Maybe it's just me but I think it's a disrespect to the current manager when the ex-manager big up his assistant to become our manager in the future, especially when we are not doing well.

I support Ole to the end, and I like Carrick myself, but at the moment we would do well to part way with these "ex player's noise".
In all honesty, ETH does not strike me as a guy who cares about such noise. His only reaction to such interview would probably be “heh”.

Amazing theses stories must have them Ole and all of them on speed dial for negative slant when we are in a dip in form. Whose tomorrow Ronaldo? the snake will drop " I seen this coming". Carrick doing well in EFL so heading to be a United manager ? so going by this standard then Keane must be ahead in the list. If i was Ole i would keep my head down, 2 words Harry Maguire.

Can someone post more quotes from the interview?

He would have to go some elsewhere to get anywhere near the job.
If he gets Middlesbrough promoted and has a couple of decent seasons with them in PL (similar to Fulham this year or Brentford both their PL years) then he will be considered at least, if things go wrong with ETH or the manager after him.

Yeah well I don't trust his judgment anymore.

We all trusted Fergies judgment because he was a great manager and he picked Moyes.

It's weird how well Mckenna and Carrick are doing as managers considering we (well at least I) put a lot of blame on them for our awful tactics and setup etc as it was said they were doing all of the first team coaching.

I honestly think fans just guess as to who is responsible for what. We can't know for sure which person suggests what in meetings and people tend to blame/credit based on their own feelings. I remember our assistant managers getting blamed for defeats because (almost) no-one here had the balls to criticise Fergie.

Can someone post more quotes from the interview?

McKenna
Kieran is another who I want to be successful and I’m glad he got Ipswich Town promoted in his first full season in management and not just because my brother-in-law is a massive Ipswich fan! Ipswich played a friendly in Kristiansund in the 1960s and his grandad became an Ipswich fan and it comes from there.

Kieran was a surprise to me when I got to United. Michael, I already knew. We’d been coached by Sir Alex, from the old school. Kieran was not. He’s the most thorough and analytical, step-by-step, process-driven coach that I’ve worked with.

He makes it so easy for the players to see and understand what we wanted from them. He’d do that the day before a game and his memory was also fantastic, his eye for detail too.

One of his strong points was defensive organisation and I let him be in charge of that in training. I learned from him about defensive shape and how not to concede. So I wasn’t surprised that he went nine games without conceding this season. Not one goal. Then they conceded one horror goal, before carrying on keeping clean sheets.

Kieran would have unit meetings with the players and go through videos. He was more focused on when the team didn’t have possession, whereas Michael was about when the team did have possession. They gave the players the detail I wanted them to have before a game.

I encouraged them to offer their personal views in meetings, then I’d make the decision. They walked out of the room and went with what I said. They were loyal, they’d convince the players that what I’d said was the right way to go forward.

Kieran is still young, yet already experienced. I played against him in the final of the reserve league in 2006: Spurs at Old Trafford. We won 2-0, I scored and Gerard Pique. Not bad, eh? Kieran played right-back for Tottenham and we swapped shirts after the game, not that I can remember that. He reminded me.

Kieran had a bad injury that stopped him playing, but he’s so determined that he made a success for himself in coaching.

He’s working with Martyn Pert. One of the first things I look for when I take someone on is integrity. Martyn and I did the Pro Licence coaching badge together. When I got the Cardiff job, he was there with Malky Mackay. I thought ‘I’d really like to work with Martyn.’ But after a few days, he came to me and said: ‘I can’t do this. I’d love to work with you but my loyalty is with Malky.’ I liked that about him. No bullshit. It wasn’t right for him and I respected that.

So when I had the chance to bring him to United, I did. I never forgot. He’d been around in different levels and in different countries. He speaks several languages so for me to have a coach who could communicate with players in their mother tongue was important. Michael, Kieran and I didn’t speak Spanish or Portuguese, though I wish I did, and sometimes you get that extra detail when it’s in their own language.

Neil Wood

Woody was in charge of the reserves. He’s a humble man who doesn’t give it the big I am. He simply wants the best for his team. He’s quietly spoken, but I’m sure he’ll convince the players to play the way he wants them to and Salford play good football.

The pandemic meant the reserves and first team got split, so I wasn’t working with him every day, but I saw enough to know that Salford have got the right man. Nicky Butt, who is also at Salford, knows that too. There’s nothing I’d like to see more than all of these lads being successful in their careers.

McKenna

Neil Wood

Thanks for that - interesting that he says he learned about defensive shape from McKenna and that he coached the team out of possession or laid the foundation, while Carrick did the opposite. I wonder how things would have fared without the two of them.

Does he say anything in hindsight about his managerial reign at United, some self-awareness nuggets?

Thanks for the quotes @Tom Van Persie

I don't really want to bash Ole (anymore than I have already for years) but the more I read from this, the more I get heated just thinking how inexperienced and lacking in substance he was himself from the way he talks about Carrick and McKenna..

Sigh.