Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Managerial Watch

Manager Ole fans are a cult at this point. The guy had 3 years here and achieved nothing. Just because ETH is as bad doesn't mean we should go back to our previous, slightly less shit manager. Jesus.

I don't see the point in bringing him back unless it's for an interim role. There's a very high chance of failure and I don't think that he would survive that. He looked absolutely devastated when he got sacked last time.

He should find another project or do something else. He's still a United legend and his managerial stint is probably the most positive period post Fergie. That's something at least.

...unbelievable

For some on here we are apparently only a few bad results away from getting Woody back, because he was around when Ole worked his magic...

This thread seriously makes me consider just deleting my account... I know it is mostly a waste of time anyway but this is actually a bit crushing

Our fans :lol:

It's concerning when you think "finally, the penny has dropped with other supporters over Ten Hag" only to see them running back to Ole. It was equally as painful listening to the excuses for him for so long too. Some of our fans never learn, and that's putting it extremely lightly. I don't want to offend so I'll say no more, safe in the knowledge that there's no way Berrada etc go for Ole.

Problem is, many still haven't gotten over his sacking. It's so fecking weird. He was a really bad manager, really bad.

It's not like in real-time a shit tonne of people weren't happy with him as manager, for good reasons. But, with the power of revisionism, we were a fantastic attacking side who were a whisker away from being a great side.

I can't wait for the power of revisionism to kick in for ETH in years to come: 3rd place, 2nd highest points total post-Fergie, 3 finals, 2 Cups. It'll sound like the glory years.
Absolutely. The revisionism is off the charts...it's mind boggling.

I genuinely just burst out laughing reading some of those.
...unbelievable

For some on here we are apparently only a few bad results away from getting Woody back, because he was around when Ole worked his magic...

This thread seriously makes me consider just deleting my account... I know it is mostly a waste of time anyway but this is actually a bit crushing

He was a really bad manager, really bad.

This sentence describes every manager post Fergie though. I guess it makes sense that some people find their favorite from the shit show. Ole's football was the most entertaining and he's a United legend on top of this, so it makes sense that people remember him more fondly than others.

But to wish for his return? Now that's a bit weird.

This sentence describes every manager post Fergie though. I guess it makes sense that some people find their favorite from the shit show. Ole's football was the most entertaining and he's a United legend on top of this, so it makes sense that people remember him more fondly than others.

But to wish for his return? Now that's a bit weird.

Sure. But Ole was the one it was easiest to predict would be bad, because he had the worst CV up to that point and was the least qualified for a job at our level.

I think other managers ultimately did worse (which was to his credit), but he was the worst actual appointment.

I think other managers ultimately did worse (which was to his credit), but he was the worst actual appointment.

Managers with worse CVs have gotten similarly big jobs before. A lot of these decisions are based on things that only the people behind the scenes can know for sure. If Pep and Zidane had failed then they would have been considered equally dumb appointments.

Ole is obviously no Pep, but for whatever reason (though his interim period surely played a huge part) the club viewed him as the right man and they stuck with that decision for a really long time. Longer than Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho. Possibly longer than Ten Hag if he doesn't turn things around soon.

ten Hag beat Pep's city in a cup final and won a trophy in his first attempt.

But can he finish a distant second in the league?

Until then he's the worstest ever and we need Ole to come back. Bring back McFred, Martial, Pogba, Telles and Dan James.
I have not said bring back Ole..
I said Ole is. A better manager ..
We should look to get Tuchel

This sentence describes every manager post Fergie though. I guess it makes sense that some people find their favorite from the shit show.

And that's fine and balanced. However, there's a push from some on here to romanticise Ole's reign and remember it as something that it really wasn't.

It's concerning when you think "finally, the penny has dropped with other supporters over Ten Hag" only to see them running back to Ole. It was equally as painful listening to the excuses for him for so long too. Some of our fans never learn, and that's putting it extremely lightly. I don't want to offend so I'll say no more, safe in the knowledge that there's no way Berrada etc go for Ole.

The penny will never drop. We'll be here again in years to come with some romanticising ETH's tenure. Especially if the next man doesn't win anything in his first few seasons.

There will be no revisonism of Ten Hag unless his statistics show a massive upturn to catch up with the likes of Ole. As is stands we can barely score goals which compares terribly with Ole's time.

There will be no revisonism of Ten Hag

You overestimate this forum. I've seen people in here write fondly about every post Fergie manager apart from Moyes (although I've seen posters write that he should have gotten more time). Even Van Gaal.

I doubt that Ten Hag will be an exception.

You overestimate this forum.

Spot on. He'll 100% be romanticised. Ole didn't even win anything and some genuinely believe his spell was brilliant, or something... I can tell you right here and now the kind of rhetoric people will use about ETH, and it'll be draped in revisionism.

RedCafe seems to be like an alternate universe where people believe that if you let enough time lapse, you can completely reinvent how a whole tenure actually played out.

Last edited:
Spot on. He'll 100% be romanticised. Ole didn't even win anything and some genuinely believe his spell was brilliant, or something... I can tell you right here and know the kind of rhetoric people will use about ETH, and it'll be draped in revisionism.

RedCafe seems to be like an alternate universe where people believe that if you let enough time lapse, you can completely reinvent how a whole tenure actually played out.
He already is being romanticised, the football in the last season and more was absolutely dire. I went to the Watford away game before he was sacked and it was one of the worst games I've witnessed as a ST holder in 19 seasons.

He already is being romanticised, the football in the last season and more was absolutely dire. I went to the Watford away game before he was sacked and it was one of the worst games I've witnessed as a ST holder in 19 seasons.

The only saving grace is that ETH has feck all in his "cult". I wish the same could be said for Jose and Ole.

"Solskjær when asked if he would agree to a managerial comeback at United: - I don't like to talk about jobs other managers have, but yes. Of course."
«If your family needs you, then of course I will help. I would say "yes" any day of the week»

His answer is more a result of gratitude towards United that he was given the honorable task of being manager of the club for a few years. He loved it, but himself knows that he will never be a permanent manager at the club again, so I think it was a polite answer - which also expressed that he loves United.

Spot on. He'll 100% be romanticised. Ole didn't even win anything and some genuinely believe his spell was brilliant, or something... I can tell you right here and know the kind of rhetoric people will use about ETH, and it'll be draped in revisionism.

I'm not sure why it's so difficult for a portion of the fans to accept that like we've signed some God awful players like Antony, it's also possible that we've also signed a string of managers who were simply not up to the job. The only manager who had any chance of bringing us back to the top was an over the hill Mourinho, and he got us closest with the 80+ point tally finishing 2nd.

"Some of my favourite post-Fergie memories were under Ole"

"2nd and 3rd in back to back seasons was decent"

"I enjoyed those wins at the Etihad with Dan James and Lingard starting"

The meltdown in some of these responses are genuinely hilarious :lol:

"Ole in-ers are a cult!"

"These posts make me want to delete my account"

Get a grip lads. There's disliking a managerial reign and then there's just irrational hatred towards a half-decent manager. The frothing at the mouth from certain posters comes across as weirdly resentful as if Ole shagged your missus or something.

You overestimate this forum. I've seen people in here write fondly about every post Fergie manager apart from Moyes (although I've seen posters write that he should have gotten more time). Even Van Gaal.

I doubt that Ten Hag will be an exception.
True. He'll have his crazy followers on here.

With Ole it's not really revisonism. There's reason most were happy with him continuing at the end of 21/22.

Get a grip lads. There's disliking a managerial reign and then there's just irrational hatred towards a half-decent manager. The tone of some of the responses come across like Ole shagged your missus or something.

I hate to take a "both sides" stance, but in this case both sides really are annoying.

On one side you have those who either didn't want us to sack Ole or gladly would take him back now. This is a wild take.

And on the other side you have those who refuse to acknowledge that anything good happened when Ole was in charge. This is also a wild take.

Some of my favourite post-Fergie memories were under Ole"

"2nd and 3rd in back to back seasons was decent"

"I enjoyed those wins at the Etihad with Dan James and Lingard starting"

The meltdown to some of these responses are genuinely hilarious :lol:

"Ole in-ers are a cult!"

"These posts make me want to delete my account"

Get a grip lads. There's disliking a managerial reign and then there's just irrational hatred towards a half-decent manager. The tone of some of the responses come across like Ole shagged your missus or something.
They fume becuase they all said the next one would be miles better and got proved wrong.

Ole not being good enough to take us to the next level but doing a decent job and deserving to be sacked at the end can both be true. But it annoys certain posters no end.

I hate to take a "both sides" stance, but in this case both sides really are annoying.

On one side you have those who either didn't want us to sack Ole or gladly would take him back now. This is a wild take.

And on the other side you have those who refuse to acknowledge that anything good happened when Ole was in charge. This is also a wild take.
I'd lean towards backing the former side. At least those who want him back seem to have the presence of mind to acknowledge it wasn't all rosy under Ole. The latter group are a different breed of stubborn.
They fume becuase they all said the next one would be miles better and got proved wrong.

Ole not being good enough to take us to the next level but doing a decent job and deserving to be sacked at the end can both be true. But it annoys certain posters no end.
Exactly.

Not sure why you felt the need to preface your post with his player achievements when a) I (and probably everyone on the caf) was already aware of this and b) my post was referring to how most of my favourite post-Fergie memories were under his management.

Because you state you would like to see Ole back in the dugout.

If Ole didnt achieve the things he achieved as a player for Manchester United, would you still want him back in the dug out? I doubt it. So i think it is relevant to mention that. Or are your favorite memories, that include Dan James and Lingard beating City, the main reason for wanting Ole back in the dug out? Again, i doubt that. You want him back because you liked what he did as a player.

Because you state you would like to see Ole back in the dugout.

If Ole didnt achieve the things he achieved as a player for Manchester United, would you still want him back in the dug out? I doubt it. So i think it is relevant to mention that. Or are your favorite memories, that include Dan James and Lingard beating City, the main reason for wanting Ole back in the dug out? Again, i doubt that. You want him back because you liked what he did as a player.
Thanks for deciding what my opinion is instead of waiting for me to respond. If that's how you usually interact with others then I'm sure you'd be great to go for a beer with.

To answer your questions (that you chose to answer for me), Ole certainly wouldn't be my first choice but I'd be fine with having him back in the dugout as he proved himself to be capable of finishing in the top 3 during each of his full seasons at United. I also would like to see us win games comfortably, and iirc he is the only United manager post-Fergie to have won PL games by 5 or more goals. And he did that on multiple occasions.

I don't however believe that he's capable of winning a PL title and I'd like us to aim for that eventually. So it wouldn't be the most ambitious appointment hiring someone who only achieves top 4 finishes, but it certainly wouldn't be the disaster that others seem to think.

Or they fume because they said all along during Ole's tenure that it's not good enough and faced ridicule from people who could not/would not see it.

Then they are eventually proven right... Only to see people want now him back.

Personally I was one of the people who were against his permanent appointment and never thought he was going to get us places. He did better than I thought and there were good moments during his tenure... But never enough to bring him back or anything like that.

Its been three years since he was sacked by United. I wonder why he still hasnt found a new club?
Probably because he's achieved his dream of managing United and doesn't fancy taking a huge step down. Not sure if he's been offered PL jobs, but if not, he probably doesn't fancy managing in the Championship every week.

He’s not going to be a serious candidate. He hasn’t even had a job since we let him go, has no achievements and has already proven himself inadequate for the long term here (though he was perfect as interim).

Probably because he's achieved his dream of managing United and doesn't fancy taking a huge step down. Not sure if he's been offered PL jobs, but if not, he probably doesn't fancy managing in the Championship every week.
Maybe but I doubt the reason he is still without a job is simply because he doesnt want to manage in the Championship. Its more likely that no club in the Championship has offered him a role.

Maybe but I doubt the reason he is still without a job is simply because he doesnt want to manage in the Championship. Its more likely that no club in the Championship has offered him a role.
Nah, he’d be able to get jobs somewhere. Maybe not Premier League but definitely Championship and several continental leagues. At 51 he probably just doesn’t feel the need to do it.