Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Managerial Watch

Lack of respect for the guy that won you the league. Is it bitter because he’s left you for Chelsea?

Truth be told Leicester had a squad that ought to have won promotion and so it is hard to gauge if Maresca made much of a difference. It is a fact that they came close to blowing it in the latter weeks of the season and will have been relieved that Leeds fell apart. I did see a lot of comments from their fans that were very critical of Maresca long before he left so it is not bitterness or a reaction to him leaving, a fair few wanted him gone anyway.

Leicester. Burnley year before I think.
Leicester won this year.
Burnley the year before. They were relegated swiftly in their debut season. They didn't have as turbulent a season as Leicester (if I'm not mistaken there were some doubts with the Leicester coach in the second half of the season).

So it's not exactly bitter for a fan to think Leicester would have gotten relegated had they not made a change.

Leicester won this year.
Burnley the year before. They were relegated swiftly in their debut season. They didn't have as turbulent a season as Leicester (if I'm not mistaken there were some doubts with the Leicester coach in the second half of the season).

So it's not exactly bitter for a fan to think Leicester would have gotten relegated had they not made a change.
Fair point mate. It’s something we’ll never know the answer to now though since he’s gone to Chelsea.

Lack of respect for the guy that won you the league. Is it bitter because he’s left you for Chelsea?
No not at all. He was tied to pepball and refused to play any other way. It was absolutely horrible to watch as we passed the ball 20-30 times without leaving our own half.. We got away with it in the Championship because we had better players than the other teams but we were going to get destroyed playing Pepball in the premier because we don't have the the quality to execute it. As the season progressed other team started to play a low block against us & just watched as we passed the ball around & we did not know how to deal with that. Maresca will do fine with Chelsea as they have the quality to play tippy tappy but we were destined to fail playing that way in the Premier.

P.S. I'm happy that he left.

Last edited:
If have liked to have seen him as their manager last season in the championship.
What do you have against Leicester ? The guy is a truly awful manager who has no plan, no style & really no idea.You guys take him back if you love him so much. We don't want or need him.

What do you have against Leicester ? The guy is a truly awful manager who has no plan, no style & really no idea.You guys take him back if you love him so much. We don't want or need him.
Chill out man. Fair enough if you don't want him as your manager but let's not pretend that he won all those games at the Etihad by sheer fluke rather than any tactical plan.

He does have a style, he’s a very good counterattacking manager. His failure was trying to move our team towards being more expansive and playing beyond the capabilities of a lot of our squad. He’d be perfect for a newly promoted team full of a decent amount of quality. He's about your level.

Leicester fans turning their nose up at the only manager post-SAF to take United to consecutive top four finishes. A 2nd place finish, EL final, several semis. Yeah, he’s not good enough for the mighty Leicester. Hilarious. Whoever takes that job should be comfortable with the probability they’ll be managing in the championship a year later. With a fan base like that, job seems beneath him if I’m honest.

Leicester fans turning their nose up at the only manager post-SAF to take United to consecutive top four finishes. A 2nd place finish, EL final, several semis. Yeah, he’s not good enough for the mighty Leicester. Hilarious. Whoever takes that job should be comfortable with the probability they’ll be managing in the championship a year later. With a fan base like that, job seems beneath him if I’m honest.
On top of that, when they've had weird blokes manage them in the past like Nigel Pearson who called a journalist an ostrich and strangled an opposition player on the touchline, and Brendan Rogers who is basically a caricature of David Brent, you'd have thought the idea of having a genuine salt of the earth guy managing them would be refreshing for some fans, but I guess not. What's Alan Pardew up to these days?

Chill out man. Fair enough if you don't want him as your manager but let's not pretend that he won all those games at the Etihad by sheer fluke rather than any tactical plan.
I'm led to believe by comments on this forum that he took no part in training & his only involvement was on the bench on game day. We have a bunch of young players coming through our system who will need a manager who can work with them and improve them. We will need a manager who can teach our young players how to defend a lead & squeak out 1-0 wins. We need a McKenna or Rosenior type manager who is hands on at the training ground. This will be a very tough season with an upcoming points deduction & a limited budget. We will need a top man if we are going to stay up . I don't see Ole as that person.

I'm led to believe by comments on this forum that he took no part in training & his only involvement was on the bench on game day. We have a bunch of young players coming through our system who will need a manager who can work with them and improve them. We will need a manager who can teach our young players how to defend a lead & squeak out 1-0 wins. We need a McKenna or Rosenior type manager who is hands on at the training ground. This will be a very tough season with an upcoming points deduction & a limited budget. We will need a top man if we are going to stay up . I don't see Ole as that person.
I have no idea what goes on at Carrington but I wouldn't be surprised if the sources claiming Ole took no part in training sessions were also the same sources describing McKenna’s drills as being ‘more suited to academy football’: https://www.football365.com/news/man-utd-solskjaer-shirking-training-academy-level

Re needing a manager who can improve young players: that is one of the main pros to hiring Ole. He finished 3rd with a team that had the lowest average age in the PL: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/altersschnitt/wettbewerb/GB1/plus/?saison_id=2019

The disrespect Ole gets is really quite shocking. You'd have thought he had United in the bottom half and was sacked by Christmas in his first year.

Re needing a manager who can improve young players: that is one of the main pros to hiring Ole. He finished 3rd with a team that had the lowest average age in the PL: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/altersschnitt/wettbewerb/GB1/plus/?saison_id=2019
Yes and no.

Based on what we saw here, Ole was great with the man-management side of handling young players, giving them a platform and self-belief to do well. However there's definite question marks over whether he's the man to coach and train them to improve their game long-term.

Pretty much all those young players we had at the time had their best ever season under Ole, but they all also seem to stagnate and go backwards under him as time went on.

When Ole comes back to Old Trafford

tumblr_mmozt5Vmbb1qm26qzo3_250.gif
Why would Sir Alex walk out of the tunnel if Ole comes back to OT

Not sure why people say he is a good fit for them. In theory maybe, but he cant seem to implement counter attacking football to sides with less quality. I mean he did it here because it was United and we had more quality. They would struggle under him

Not sure why people say he is a good fit for them. In theory maybe, but he cant seem to implement counter attacking football to sides with less quality. I mean he did it here because it was United and we had more quality. They would struggle under him
Yes, we had more quality back then than the current Leicester squad but they were hardly world beaters. It mainly consisted of players who either had pace or were willing to cover a lot of distance. Dan James, Lingard, Fred, Mctominay and Andreas Pereira were starting most weeks for us.

I think it's just a few Utd fans who want them to hire him just to see what happens. The Leicester fan above said it right. If we think he's so great we should get him back. Or if we don't think he can do better than ETH with our squad, he's going to struggle even more at a weaker club.

So, same as the bald Jack Grealish headed twat of a manager you had last season who still got you promoted then

He’ll probably nick you a few surprising results against bigger teams as he knows how to counter attack.

The disrespect Ole gets is really quite shocking. You'd have thought he had United in the bottom half and was sacked by Christmas in his first year.

Indeed. It's so sad. Really hope he's back in management before long.

You're the one who has no idea about Ole as a manager it seems

Can't blame Leicester fans for not being excited at hiring Ole Solskjaer as a manager. It's no different to United fans not wanting Southgate.

Spot on, frustrating people making it sound like Ole is completely clueless. Hope he doesn’t take it.

Can't blame Leicester fans for not being excited at hiring Ole Solskjaer as a manager. It's no different to United fans not wanting Southgate.
I still think it would be a good appointment for then. And I'd definitely take Ole back over Southgate.

Ole is criminally underrated. He deserves more chances for sure. He went from Molde to United, that's a huge leap, and he almost won us a trophy. Not good enough for a club like United, but little Leicester? They should be honoured to have an ex MUFC man at the helm.

It is a bit different. We’re one of the biggest teams in the world. We should be aiming higher than Southgate. Leicester have just been promoted and they think they deserve a Guardiola like manager.

On top of that, when they've had weird blokes manage them in the past like Nigel Pearson who called a journalist an ostrich and strangled an opposition player on the touchline, and Brendan Rogers who is basically a caricature of David Brent, you'd have thought the idea of having a genuine salt of the earth guy managing them would be refreshing for some fans, but I guess not. What's Alan Pardew up to these days?
The flip side is we’ve literally seen him with a club that will be around the relegation scrap and it wasn’t great. Also we know he doesn’t lead training which I feel is almost a prerequisite these days.

Did any of you guys here forget Ole stint with Cardiff? He finished 20th (although he did came mid season). No wonder Leicester fans don't want him.

How is it the same at all? We played our most entertaining football of the post-Fergie era under Solskjaer. It started to go really wrong for him when Ronaldo was signed and expectations suddenly shifted to us being a team who should compete for the league title. That assessment was always weird to me with the midfield we had at the time.

I don't think Leicester is necessarily the right job for him because the expectations will probably be quite high for a newly promoted team who aren't in the best of shape themselves. He definitely doesn't deserve to be laughed out of town if he gets another Premier League gig though, you have people like Frank Lampard who have had several stabs at it now and Solskjaer has done a far more respectable job as a manager than him.

The flip side is we’ve literally seen him with a club that will be around the relegation scrap and it wasn’t great. Also we know he doesn’t lead training which I feel is almost a prerequisite these days.

Moyes got a team relegated and recovered from that.