Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Managerial Watch

There were some good moments under him, especially in a COVID environment, when most things were generally shite.

He had me believing every now and then, but ultimately, he was never good enough and bar some good moments, I feel we wasted 3-years under him. I'll always be grateful for him coming in and reigniting the spark after the Jose era. He was an amazing caretaker but I don't feel it should have gone any further than that.

Top bloke though, and I would be surprised if he hadn't been offered jobs since. Far worse managers than him get gigs every week.

You feel that because we did. That is why the constructive anger shouldn't really be directed to Ole, who I am sure did all he could, but at the people responsible for keeping the club competitive. The notion that in hindsight everything is 20-20 feels surely nice but it isn't the full picture at all. There were many fans doubting what Ole brings to the table, away from the club football fans and outlets articulated their concerns clearly. And while his companionship approach was exactly what we needed directly after Jose, it should have been obvious to everybody, that, if this is all he brings to the table, that we need to move on.
Only thing I accuse Ole of is not bringing in people into his staff who could mitigate his own shortcomings, this is what Fergie did and would have done. So maybe Ole just made the mistake of trusting the wrong people. Who knows, wouldn't be my take for sure though.

Where we are right now, we could have been in 2021 or 2022 the latest. But instead many sticked to their hope that Ole could be our very own Pep or Zidane fairy tale. While football became more and more technical, much more focus on collective efforts, tactics and creating synergies, we had Ole, who went for character and desire, super star players and individual brilliance. Which is nice, don't get me wrong but it could have been obvious that things didn't add up. The underlying numbers told a story. Of course not a definitive one but they told something to everyone who was willing to listen. And we could have saved our selves from transfers who were bonkers back then.

Who knows what will happen with Ole. I think for him it is key to create either a partnership with a co-trainer he takes with him. There were a few things I liked about him and calling him a fraud is obviously over the top. My take is that most of this vitriol entered the debate because of the "stop negativity" brigade...

Mazraoul and Tagliafico left last summmer. Those players also left last summer: Antony, Martinez, Haller, Gravenberch, Schuurs, Onana, and Blind.. He never lost so many players that were regular starters in the same season. 19/20: Dolberg, De Light and De Jong left. 19/20. Botman(he was loaned from Ajax the season before so was not used or missed by ETH.) Ziyech and Van de Beek, 37 years old Huntelaar and he was not a starter his last season left in January.. 20/21 ETH last Ajax season Neres left in January so he was only missed for half the season.
That’s my fault on Mazraoui and Tagliafico. However, you’ve just continued to prove that Ten Hag did lose a lot of players. His 2018-19 CL team was absolutely raided.

Doesnt that make the side last season as the worst ever? If we're saying we spent 200m or whatever on that side to end up with the worst side, then I think we're in trouble
No. Last season’s squad was much better than the squad in 2021-22 due to the additions we made.

We finished with our lowest ever points total in Premier League history in the 2021-22 season, not even eclipsing the 60 mark. We also finished with a goal difference of 0. For context, Moyes’ 2013-14 team finished with a GD of +21. That is how bad we were in 2021-22.
You do know that Rangnick was the manager for most of that season, right? Ole finished 2nd the year before.

Are you still harping on with this 'Ole is lying' facade :lol:

Just read the article yourself. There is nothing in there where Ole is making any comment and saying that he turned down offers. Also, you conveniently skipped replying to my previous post.

Essentially, you raise a point, I ask for proof and you provide none. And then you accuse me of harping on the same point. Anyways, this debate isn’t worth it for me so have a good day.

It’s very odd he hasn’t bothered to go any further in his managerial career. Doesn’t reflect well on us appointing him.

Nothing Ole but doesn’t seem to have the stones like Mourinho for example who obviously loves training players day in day out. Mou love him or hate him just seems to enjoy the grind.

Ole has a different mentality completely and perhaps wasn’t right for our club. I’d take him back in an ambassadorial role though in his part time.

It’s very odd he hasn’t bothered to go any further in his managerial career. Doesn’t reflect well on us appointing him.

Nothing Ole but doesn’t seem to have the stones like Mourinho for example who obviously loves training players day in day out. Mou love him or hate him just seems to enjoy the grind.

Ole has a different mentality completely and perhaps wasn’t right for our club. I’d take him back in an ambassadorial role though in his part time.

Mourinho stopped taking trainings long back.

Mourinho stopped taking trainings long back.
He’s all about improving and getting the best out of players though. The man has consistently achieved things for 20 years including at Roma by utter dogged hard work.

He’d have probably won Spurs a trophy too if they hadn’t of sacked him before he got them to a final. That’s an achievement in itself.

You just have to respect his passion for the game and want to fight every season. That’s why he’s one of the greatest. Not many have ever had his passion for the game.

He’s all about improving and getting the best out of players though. The man has consistently achieved things for 20 years including at Roma by utter dogged hard work.

He’d have probably won Spurs a trophy too if they hadn’t of sacked him before he got them to a final. That’s an achievement in itself.

You just have to respect his passion for the game and want to fight every season. That’s why he’s one of the greatest. Not many have that need to win.

He is about bringing the best out of players? Which player played best under him at ManUtd?

Rashford, Martial, Shaw played their best seasons under Ole, much better than under Jose.

Biggest criticism against Jose at ManUtd apart from his shit tactics is failure to bring best out of the squad and one of the reason why everyone looked like a deadwood.

Just read the article yourself. There is nothing in there where Ole is making any comment and saying that he turned down offers. Also, you conveniently skipped replying to my previous post.

Essentially, you raise a point, I ask for proof and you provide none. And then you accuse me of harping on the same point. Anyways, this debate isn’t worth it for me so have a good day.
The VG paper that made the story have had a relationship with Ole since before he was a United manager, they know him well and he has had numerous interviews with them.
They are extremely reliable when it comes to news regarding Ole.

Again, it's fine if you don't want to believe that Iran, Club Brugge and numerous other Premiership teams approached Ole despite the evidence they did, just seems a bit strange why you'd want to double down on hating a club legend by clutching straws.

I've noticed more and more people on here just don't get sarcasm.

Probably because there’s a hell of a lot more idiots saying genuinely idiotic things these days. It’s hard to gauge, especially in this thread.

Biggest criticism against Jose at ManUtd apart from his shit tactics is failure to bring best out of the squad and one of the reason why everyone looked like a deadwood.

As opposed to the masterclasses put on by his successors?

He is about bringing the best out of players? Which player played best under him at ManUtd?

Rashford, Martial, Shaw played their best seasons under Ole, much better than under Jose.

Rashford was fine under Jose.

Let’s be real he got Shaw wrong but he knew Martial was a wasteman from the start. I trust Jose’s judgement on a footballer much more than Ole.

The second year Mourinho team is no doubt the best we’ve had since Sir Alex. Especially that first half of the season he really made us a strong side.

Only time I’ve ever thought we could win anything big was under Jose for that second year. Ole’s tenure was tedious to put it mildly. A rollercoaster of emotion leading us absolutely nowhere as a club.

Waste of two years if you ask me and set the club backwards in terms of both tactics and how other fans perceived us as a club.

Rashford was fine under Jose.

Let’s be real he got Shaw wrong but he knew Martial was a wasteman from the start. I trust Jose’s judgement on a footballer much more than Ole.

The second year Mourinho team is no doubt the best we’ve had since Sir Alex. Especially that first half of the season he really made us a strong side.

Only time I’ve ever thought we could win anything big was under Jose for that second year. Ole’s tenure was tedious to put it mildly. A rollercoaster of emotion leading us absolutely nowhere as a club.

Waste of two years if you ask me and set the club backwards in terms of both tactics and how other fans perceived us as a club.

Jose might be greatest judge of talent but he didn't show any of that at ManUtd.

Yes, ole's was a waste of time just like Jose's too, just like Van Gaal's and just like Moyes. Every manager post SAF was a waste of time at this club and everyone played their part in setting us back.

What you are saying is completely different from reality about Jose's time at ManUtd.

No. Last season’s squad was much better than the squad in 2021-22 due to the additions we made.
I'm referring to the side in the Ole/Rangnick season as the worst ever. Not the one ETH had

Jose might be greatest judge of talent but he didn't show any of that at ManUtd.

Yes, ole's was a waste of time just like Jose's too, just like Van Gaal's and just like Moyes. Every manager post SAF was a waste of time at this club and everyone played their part in setting us back.

What you are saying is completely different from reality about Jose's time at ManUtd.
It wasn’t the managers apart from Moyes and Ole I would argue. LVG was well worth the effort his plan kinda makes sense even now.

Jose also won us some stuff and improved the team so again kinda made sense. The problem as we all know was Woodward and the clowns running our club.

Im a firm believer top managers which LVG and Mourinho 100% are only thrive when they have both backing and understanding from above.A bit of luck too.

Falcao and Di Maria were certain to fail given the circumstances both endured here. LVG made some bad signings but again we all know he wanted Toni Kroos and a few others. Got Morgan and a washed Bastian instead.

It wasn’t the managers apart from Moyes and Ole I would argue. LVG was well worth the effort his plan kinda makes sense even now.

Jose also won us some stuff and improved the team so again kinda made sense. The problem as we all know was Woodward and the clowns running our club.

Im a firm believer top managers which LVG and Mourinho 100% are only thrive when they have both backing and understanding from above.A bit of luck too.

Falcao and Di Maria were certain to fail given the circumstances both endured here. LVG made some bad signings but again we all know he wanted Toni Kroos and a few others. Got Morgan and a washed Bastian instead.

Disagree with a lot of the above but the Kroos thing is objectively wrong - Moyes had the deal lined up and Van Gaal veto’d it.

Surprised no Saudi sides are in for him, united legend that is recognised across the globe and they would be getting a manager that only recently managed one of the biggest clubs in the world, better than gerrard

Managers were backed with their targets, they brought 0 coaching ability and team looked so disjointed it was like they never trained together even once.

Also you are wrong on Kroos, we did all the work and Van Gaal vetoed the deal. Van Gaal was the one who asked for Di Maria.

Our management was poor too but so were the managers. They wasted so so money on their shit targets and our wages spiralled out of control, all this to back managers with their every demand.

EtH is the first manager we hired who was on the upward trajectory, rest all weren't good enough or past their best b

Surprised no Saudi sides are in for him, united legend that is recognised across the globe and they would be getting a manager that only recently managed one of the biggest clubs in the world, better than gerrard
Maybe they enquired, maybe Ole said no.

No one wants him as manager, as a former manager of Man Utd that is staggering, and says all you need to know about his credentials. Literally no one rates him.

Will he ever get another job?

Managers were backed with their targets, they brought 0 coaching ability and team looked so disjointed it was like they never trained together even once.

Also you are wrong on Kroos, we did all the work and Van Gaal vetoed the deal. Van Gaal was the one who asked for Di Maria.

Our management was poor too but so were the managers. They wasted so so money on their shit targets and our wages spiralled out of control, all this to back managers with their every demand.

EtH is the first manager we hired who was on the upward trajectory, rest all weren't good enough or past their best b
Jury is out, he’s been given the robes of a king but expect steady improvement as a minimum. Failing to get rid of Maguire alone is a question mark. I’m all for backing the manager but this is not Pep, or even Klopp we are talking about.

Thankfully I see ETH as an obsessive and so expect a top 4 challenge. I see no reality where we finish aboive arsenal and/or city. Tell me if I’m wrong..

Jury is out, he’s been given the robes of a king but expect steady improvement as a minimum. Failing to get rid of Maguire alone is a question mark. I’m all for backing the manager but this is not Pep, or even Klopp we are talking about.

Thankfully I see ETH as an obsessive and so expect a top 4 challenge. I see no reality where we finish aboive arsenal and/or city. Tell me if I’m wrong..
Is Maguire staying really his fault though? Maguire has a contract till 2025 and so far his PR has been revolving around staying to proof himself so he has a contract and wants to see it finished. He was so low in the pecking order last season already, what else should Ten Hag do? constantly talk to the media he wants Maguire out? make Maguire life a living hell at the club? what for? so the media can turn against him and look unprofessional to other players at the same time?

Its all about a mistake in the past the led us to this. Nothing to do with current manager. DDG knew he wasnt wanted and his contract had ended, and so he left. Does that mean Ten Hag was the one who got rid of him? Not really no. Its all about the contract and the consent from the player under contract. If a player is not in the clubs plan and the club want to sell, but the player has years left under his contract and say "no Im staying no matter what" then they cant do shit to force the player out. Thats why its called contract.

Last edited:

Failing to get rid of Maguire is a question mark? What is he supposed to do? Call each club and beg them to sign player?

We have recruitment team to handle incoming and outgoing transfers, it's not on EtH to sell or buy players.

You do know that Rangnick was the manager for most of that season, right? Ole finished 2nd the year before.
Hold on, where did I blame Ole? :lol: I remember actually proofreading the post before sending it to make sure that I didn’t blame Ole for that season as well to prevent replies like this. I just stated a fact that Ten Hag inherited our worst ever Premier League team based on points totals.

Understatement of the century. I liked LVG but he wasted the best part of £300m to sign absolute dross we were still trying to shift towards the end of Solskjaers reign.

He sold/released if I remember something like 24+ players and signed 12+ players. He was fully backed to make whatever changes he saw fit. But he made a complete clusterfeck of a squad that hampered his predecessors for years.

Failing to get rid of Maguire is a question mark? What is he supposed to do? Call each club and beg them to sign player?

We have recruitment team to handle incoming and outgoing transfers, it's not on EtH to sell or buy players.
Yeah, bit of a silly remark to attribute maguire and his high wage - making it hard to move him on, on EtH. The guys dropped him, made him 5th choice, stripped him of the captaincy….I guess he needs to do the door to door knocking to try and find his next club as well.

Yeah, bit of a silly remark to attribute maguire and his high wage - making it hard to move him on, on EtH. The guys dropped him, made him 5th choice, stripped him of the captaincy….I guess he needs to do the door to door knocking to try and find his next club as well.

Yeah, EtH has made it very clear with his selection that Maguire is not needed. It's on recruitment team and the player himself to move on.

Hold on, where did I blame Ole? :lol: I remember actually proofreading the post before sending it to make sure that I didn’t blame Ole for that season as well to prevent replies like this. I just stated a fact that Ten Hag inherited our worst ever Premier League team based on points totals.
You are absolutely correct. I misunderstood your initial post and its intent.

Why would you hire Ole when Carrick and Mckenna are doing amazing things in their first managerial appointments? If you were going to pick up someone from that management duo surely it would be one of those two.

I was already down on Ole but when he said this, that's when I knew there was no hope for us. This is the way the manager of a team fighting relegation should speak about football.

The intricacies are obviously not important, someone should have told Pep that.

Again, it's fine if you don't want to believe that Iran, Club Brugge and numerous other Premiership teams approached Ole despite the evidence they did, just seems a bit strange why you'd want to double down on hating a club legend by clutching straws.
What are the numerous other Premiership teams that we know wanted Ole? I only remember Leicester and that’s after they went down, so they’re a Championship club now.

Club Brugge and Iran interest I definitely believe and it would be around his level, putting Ole in the league with likes of Scott Parker and Carlos Queiroz.

I was already down on Ole but when he said this, that's when I knew there was no hope for us. This is the way the manager of a team fighting relegation should speak about football.

He was always stuck in the past. "The season starts now" after the first international break, "Utd always finish the season strong" are some of his quotes(might be wrong but have this in my memory for some reason) that showed how out of touch he was with reality. We had teams like Liverpool and City fighting hard for each point and the title until game day 38 playing football at an amazingly high level whereas we were a team fully dependent on individual brilliance.

This statement from him more or less confirmed the same.

We actually improved under Rangnick compared to where we were on track to finish with Ole in 21/22. He obviously wasn't good enough, but Rangnick does get too much shit on here IMO. He walked into an absolute train-wreck that started under Ole (with a team built by him as well). We started similarly poorly in the first couple of weeks under ETH as well, until he was able to bring in more of his own players.

Ole did do better than some give him credit for in his first couple of seasons, but he was also at fault for how bad things did get to the extent that virtually the entire squad needed to be rebuilt.

Using the end of any managers tenure as a point of comparison is fecking stupid. If you want to properly compare Rangnick and Solskjaer it shouldn’t be based on the half season that got Ole the sack.

By the same logic you can say Ole is a better manager than Mourinho because results picked up when he replaced him. No, their ability and success must be judged over a longer time frame.

Rangnick marginally doing better than a manager who got sacked the same season is woeful, and his tenure was easily the most miserable of the lot since Fergie.

He didnt believe in philosophy but this one sounds philosophical to me: