Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Managerial Watch

I'd say the oppposite, really. Our sentimentality didn't allow as to sack him earlier, when we should have. It was obvious to everyone but he was given more time due to his status of a club legend.

He wasn't a good manager for us, he never had the credentials and was hired based on one purple patch. I'd be very surprised if any half decent club takes him.
Yeah this all day long. He shouldnt even have been given the contract that first summer after he came in as interim, you could tell he obviously wasn’t good enough then. Instead we went on and wasted three years.

I'm calling Ole 'not good enough' for the league purely based on the fact that there were 14 managers sackings in the league last season and yet, he wasn't considered a single one of them. How is calling this fact out disrespectful? Is it disrespectful to say that Elanga isn't good enough for Real Madrid?

I understand that there's a sentimentality involved with Ole and I'm personally happy to dissociate the player from the manager. Because the manager was painfully average and despite some decent moments, nowhere near good enough to manage us with the sort of CV he had. And it is clear as day for other prospective employers.
The lack of interest in Ole despite finishing 2nd and 3rd with United is damning of how the world views his managerial ability

that's what you posted, yet Ole has been shortlisted and invited to apply for numerous jobs according to several high tier sources, including the Club Brugge job this year.

There's been no lack of interest other than that from Ole to actually take or apply for these jobs.
No sentimentality going here, just showing you what your saying isn't entirely correct.

It's so lame how our own fans feel the need to jump into this thread and take cheap shots at one our legends.

Singling out any one of our managers for the current shit situation we find ourselves in is pointless, the rot starts at the top.

It wasnt hindsight really, enough fans had their concerns and were mostly being shut down.

Concerns about the future. Which makes it hindsight now. He did ok, but he wasn't the worst manager ever.

You have people questioning ETH now too, if shit hits the fan and it doesn't work out, they will turn around and say the same things in a few years.

Look, i like you. Your comments usually are levelled and objective. But you are often running that story about how fans who liked Jose, "dislike" Ole and his reign because Ole replaced their idol. That is bs, man.
There are maybe 1% of fans (called fanboys) who follow clubs because of certain player or manager but they leave together with their idol.

Your hate towards Jose (maybe strong word but can't find proper word for it) is clouding your judgement regarding some things.
You are 100% one of them. Your constant cheap digs at Ole and constant a** licking of Jose show this very clearly. It’s like you and some others were personally insulted how your God Jose was not replaced by the best manager in the world, but rather by the legendary player Ole. The fact that Ole got 2nd and 3rd place and that the fans at OT keep singing his name while hardly anyone of them rightly doesn’t bother about Jose is probably killing you every day.

The lack of interest in Ole despite finishing 2nd and 3rd with United is damning of how the world views his managerial ability

that's what you posted, yet Ole has been shortlisted and invited to apply for numerous jobs according to several high tier sources, including the Club Brugge job this year.

There's been no lack of interest other than that from Ole to actually take or apply for these jobs.
No sentimentality going here, just showing you what your saying isn't entirely correct.

May I please have an example of these supposed jobs and high tier sources?

This thread is useless without a Rio rubbing his hands meme. I miss Ole. :(

But Ole finished ahead of 'Pool and in the CL with much better goal differences than ETH, so I'm looking forward to more ETH. :angel:

Somebody bumped this thread with a lighthearted comment about how he should go to Saudi and buy all our deadwood, but you nutters have already managed to add four more pages of Ole in/out bullshit at the drop of a hat, purely because the thread was there? :lol:

You are 100% one of them. Your constant cheap digs at Ole and constant a** licking of Jose show this very clearly. It’s like you and some others were personally insulted how your God Jose was not replaced by the best manager in the world, but rather by the legendary player Ole. The fact that Ole got 2nd and 3rd place and that the fans at OT keep singing his name while hardly anyone of them rightly doesn’t bother about Jose is probably killing you every day.
Nothing beats top 4 trophies. Are they in trophy cabinet or in failed Cardiff manager house?
Fans like just can't separate Ole player from Ole manager. But no worries; soon he will find new club (Molde or something) so you will again enjoy in his huge success.

Somebody bumped this thread with a lighthearted comment about how he should go to Saudi and buy all our deadwood, but you nutters have already managed to add four more pages of Ole in/out bullshit at the drop of a hat, purely because the thread was there? :lol:

When I saw that there were 4 new pages I assumed that something really big had happened :lol:

Well we didnt get CL when he was interim. He got us into top 4 position, and then bottled it with a very easy schedule.

He joined us when we were , I think, 11 points behind 4th. The fact that we were even in a position to consider missing out on top 4 from that position as a failure tells us how good we were under him overall

I'm calling Ole 'not good enough' for the league purely based on the fact that there were 14 managers sackings in the league last season and yet, he wasn't considered a single one of them. How is calling this fact out disrespectful? Is it disrespectful to say that Elanga isn't good enough for Real Madrid?

I understand that there's a sentimentality involved with Ole and I'm personally happy to dissociate the player from the manager. Because the manager was painfully average and despite some decent moments, nowhere near good enough to manage us with the sort of CV he had. And it is clear as day for other prospective employers.

I' m speculating (just like you are, since we don't know he wasn't considered for a fact) but my speculation is simple - he probably isn't interested in working for some time).

You don't show up in the unemployment records if you aren't actively looking for a job.

Whether or not any of us agree under the Glazers/Woodward regime every manager who has qualified for the CL has kept their job. And every manager who failed to qualify got sacked.

Solskjaer qualified in his first 2 seasons so kept his job and when things went badly and it looked like he wasn't going to qualify he got sacked.

So where did the sentimentality come into it?

We were 6 points behind 4th place when Ole was sacked (3 if you consider the 4th placed big 6 club)

We were 11 points behind 4th when Mou was sacked.

Not saying Ole shouldn't have been sacked when he was sacked, but I find it quite funny when people say sentimentality kept Ole in the job.

Nothing beats top 4 trophies. Are they in trophy cabinet or in failed Cardiff manager house?
Fans like just can't separate Ole player from Ole manager. But no worries; soon he will find new club (Molde or something) so you will again enjoy in his huge success.
Typical response in your true fashion.
Don’t worry, I can very well separate Ole the player from the manager. Ole the player won leagues and CL for us and gave us one of our best and most iconic moment in our history.
Ole the manager didn’t win the league or CL. Ole the manager had us finishing 2nd and 3rd in the league.
But remind me which other manager since Fergie did or even come close to winning the league or CL? Hell, even between 2014 and 2016 when the league was relatively poor we were still heroically finishing 7th, 4th and 5th. And then Jose came and bored us to a fantastic 6th placed finish.

Typical response in your true fashion.
Don’t worry, I can very well separate Ole the player from the manager. Ole the player won leagues and CL for us and gave us one of our best and most iconic moment in our history.
Ole the manager didn’t win the league or CL. Ole the manager had us finishing 2nd and 3rd in the league.
But remind me which other manager since Fergie did or even come close to winning the league or CL? Hell, even between 2014 and 2016 when the league was relatively poor we were still heroically finishing 7th, 4th and 5th. And then Jose came and bored us to a fantastic 6th placed finish.
Are you really claiming that Ole did better than Jose? Or even LVG?

May I please have an example of these supposed jobs and high tier sources?
Google's your friend, but the highest tier was probably the man himself explaining that he had turned down several job offers from the premiership.
I'm sure that'll be brushed off as Ole not telling the truth however. :lol:

Then a few months ago near enough every news outlet ran the story of Ole being on the shortlist for Club Brugge.

I' m speculating (just like you are, since we don't know he wasn't considered for a fact) but my speculation is simple - he probably isn't interested in working for some time).

You don't show up in the unemployment records if you aren't actively looking for a job.

Given the amount of time I've spent here, don't want to come across as having an agenda against Ole. Hence, will refrain from posting beyond this one. You look at his managerial history:

Manager in Norway
Cardiff City
Manager in Norway
Manchester United

Compare it with other managers we've had post Fergie. Managers just don't manage United as their only major job. If they do lose motivation for the game, then its even more damning for us that we chose a manager who barely has any top level ambitions to win or prove himself.

Google's your friend, but the highest tier was probably the man himself explaining that he had turned down several job offers from the premiership.
I'm sure that'll be brushed off as Ole not telling the truth however. :lol:

Then a few months ago near enough every news outlet ran the story of Ole being on the shortlist for Club Brugge.

I did. There were unreliable sources linking him with Club Brugge, which he didn't get and then other reports claiming, without any direct quotes, that Ole has rejected multiple offers.

To be honest, I've more than said my piece now. If people do believe that he's a good/top manager capable of doing well in the PL or similar stature clubs, its their call. But I prefer to see the evidence that's in front of my eyes.

Concerns about the future. Which makes it hindsight now. He did ok, but he wasn't the worst manager ever.

You have people questioning ETH now too, if shit hits the fan and it doesn't work out, they will turn around and say the same things in a few years.
How? Then everything is hindsight.

And true, he wasnt the worst manager ever. Anyone who says so, is ridiculous.

If their concerns were justified (which is hard to do), they might have been right all this time. What is so wrong with acknowledging that?

Are you really claiming that Ole did better than Jose? Or even LVG?
In the league yes. It’s no rocket science that in their two full seasons 2nd + 3rd > 4th + 5th / 6th + 2nd.
But you can print the pictures of the two tin pot cups we won with piss poor runs under Jose and put them under your pillow.

He joined us when we were , I think, 11 points behind 4th. The fact that we were even in a position to consider missing out on top 4 from that position as a failure tells us how good we were under him overall
Overall that season?

It was clear that we had an unbelievable (unsustainable) run when he joined. He got lots of praise for that, and stupidly, even a contract for a few years.

However, when he ultimately got us in that very good position that he got all the plaudits for + contract, we also went to shit. And bottled top 4.

That is not to say, he's at blame for us missing top 4. My point is mainly, he was out of his depth in the first place and should never have gotten that contract.

But I'd like to know where he/United would be now if they'd thrown the extra money at Bellingham and Haaland a few years ago to get them in during his reign.

Interesting hypothetical which actually isn't that far fetched either.

The worry there is that Haaland might have arrived too early, as it were. Realistically, he would have arrived at a dysfunctional team to various degrees. I mean, not even Ole's biggest fans would presumably suggest that Haaland would have solved all the issues.

Still, I think it's pretty safe to say that Haaland would have been a beast (a more unfinished beast, but still a beast) - and that he would've suited Ole's style rather well.

(It's also a fact that Ole explicitly wanted him - and even wanted him at United before he was made interim manager, as in: he urged United to sign Haaland while he, Ole, was still at Molde).

Given the amount of time I've spent here, don't want to come across as having an agenda against Ole. Hence, will refrain from posting beyond this one. You look at his managerial history:

Manager in Norway
Cardiff City
Manager in Norway
Manchester United

Compare it with other managers we've had post Fergie. Managers just don't manage United as their only major job. If they do lose motivation for the game, then its even more damning for us that we chose a manager who barely has any top level ambitions to win or prove himself.

I did. There were unreliable sources linking him with Club Brugge, which he didn't get and then other reports claiming, without any direct quotes, that Ole has rejected multiple offers.

To be honest, I've more than said my piece now. If people do believe that he's a good/top manager capable of doing well in the PL or similar stature clubs, its their call. But I prefer to see the evidence that's in front of my eyes.
The evidence is right in front of you, Ole himself has stated he turned down multiple jobs from the premiership and elsewhere on Europe because he wanted to spend time with his family.

Can't begrudge a guy that, and despite your take on the situation, doesn't highlight how poor of a manager he is!
There's every chance he could have been a success at Everton or there's equal chance he could have been another Lampard, no one will ever know.

Considering he also stated that he watched all 160 odd games from his time at United to learn from his mistakes suggests he hasn't lost motivation.

I get some people didn't like him as a manager but to make things up just to try and justify a stance is bordering on ridiculous.

I'd say the oppposite, really. Our sentimentality didn't allow as to sack him earlier, when we should have. It was obvious to everyone but he was given more time due to his status of a club legend.

He wasn't a good manager for us, he never had the credentials and was hired based on one purple patch. I'd be very surprised if any half decent club takes him.

He got sacked 20th November? When should he have got sacked? After the Liverpool 5-0 at Old trafford? which was a month before? Or before that? When exactly?

Because its not sentimentality that kept him in the job, its our owners trying to not 'pay out' as much as they could. Like with Moyes,who was sacked once Top4 became mathematically impossible to kept, even though he should have gone in that december period or after the back to back home games v liverpool and city.
or LVG who got sacked after a FA cup win, but missed out on top 4 mathematically on the last day (even though again, that period around december months before he should have got sacked).
Those two werent kept longer than they should have due to sentimentality or status as a club legend. So im not sure when you think Ole should have been sacked? Maybe he shouldnt have got the job in the first place, which is fine but at the same time, neither should Moyes as there was nothing there to indicate he would be a winning manager for a top club.

His results were shit as a permanent manager outside the period without fans, but even then the team couldn't handle the pressure whenever they had a chance to achieve something.

He created a team with a weak mentality, and it showed in basically every exit from cups during this stint. The team just gave up on these games.

He got sacked 20th November? When should he have got sacked? After the Liverpool 5-0 at Old trafford? which was a month before? Or before that? When exactly?

The defeat from Tottenham.

In the league yes. It’s no rocket science that in their two full seasons 2nd + 3rd > 4th + 5th / 6th + 2nd.
But you can print the pictures of the two tin pot cups we won with piss poor runs under Jose and put them under your pillow.
So, 6th with 2 trophies (and CL secured) is worse than 2nd or 3rd place? Also, completely irrelevant but Jose reached 81 points (which Ole didn't).

Anyway, by your standards, Ole is still better than ETH then.

I know there are a billion "what if's" in football

But I'd like to know where he/United would be now if they'd thrown the extra money at Bellingham and Haaland a few years ago to get them in during his reign.
Bellingham turned us down because we wouldn't guarantee him game time (fair) and Haaland we refused to put a buyout into his contract + give him % of future sales (which I think is fair).

Issue Ole had is it the decision to make him manager was emotional, realistically we should have hired a permanent manager in the summer after his caretaker stint and he didn't really have a defining idea of what we would become nor was he actually a coach, even at Molde he was hands off. It was a bad decision made worse by the fact it was following another bad decision to appoint Mou.

How? Then everything is hindsight.

And true, he wasnt the worst manager ever. Anyone who says so, is ridiculous.

If their concerns were justified (which is hard to do), they might have been right all this time. What is so wrong with acknowledging that?

Nothing.

Inspite of that, we got some of our best results against our rivals under him.

Houllier's Liverpool had some great results against us. But that's just not what you aspire to at a club like this. You don't look for the odd good result, unless you're small time. The only thing that matters is the big picture.

I know there are a billion "what if's" in football

We'd have a better squad right now and still have a different manager because he just wasn't good enough.

I also doubt those deals didn't happen because of money.

I don't think he was kept because of sentimentality. Maybe in the last few weeks of his reign, when results was awful, but no more than that. I think that he was kept previously because the people making the decisions at the club were clueless and really thought things were going well and that the progress we were making under Solskjaer could take us to the top.

So, 6th with 2 trophies (and CL secured) is worse than 2nd or 3rd place? Also, completely irrelevant but Jose reached 81 points (which Ole didn't).

Anyway, by your standards, Ole is still better than ETH then.
You are changing topic constantly. You originally claimed I can’t separate Ole the manager from the player and I gave you the explanation. Jose still finished distant 2nd and his game plan was rely on DdG. No wonder the team fell apart next season.
But for what it’s worth: ETH only had 1 full season so far in which he already achieved what no other manager since Fergie did: top 4 and a trophy in the same season. And at least at times we could already see on and off the pitch what he wants to achieve. If he already hasn’t then I am sure he soon will overtake every manager we had since Fergie retired.

There were some good moments under him, especially in a COVID environment, when most things were generally shite.

He had me believing every now and then, but ultimately, he was never good enough and bar some good moments, I feel we wasted 3-years under him. I'll always be grateful for him coming in and reigniting the spark after the Jose era. He was an amazing caretaker but I don't feel it should have gone any further than that.

Top bloke though, and I would be surprised if he hadn't been offered jobs since. Far worse managers than him get gigs every week.

Top bloke though, and I would be surprised if he hadn't been offered jobs since. Far worse managers than him get gigs every week.

Maybe, but sometimes it's about image. Solskjaer became a bit of a laughing stock in his last few weeks or months with us, so clubs could be wary of how their supporters would welcome his appointment.

The one against mourinho.
Do you mean the 6-1 that was a season before at the start of the season? The one where we ended up second and in a European Final?

I cant tell if youre being serious or not now. Unless youre saying a 6-1 loss due to the deficit is bad enough to sack somebody despite the result around that game, and the only reason we didnt sack Ole is because of sentimentality and his status as a club legend.
in which case we should have also sacked ETH after his 6-3 loss away at City or the 7-0 away at Liverpool?

We were 6 points behind 4th place when Ole was sacked (3 if you consider the 4th placed big 6 club)

We were 11 points behind 4th when Mou was sacked.

Not saying Ole shouldn't have been sacked when he was sacked, but I find it quite funny when people say sentimentality kept Ole in the job.

Indeed mate, it's a silly opinion based on nothing.

Maybe, but sometimes it's about image. Solskjaer became a bit of a laughing stock in his last few weeks or months with us, so clubs could be wary of how their supporters would welcome his appointment.

He was a laughing stock in the PL, yes. But no way that would affect an appointment at a EL level club (outside of England).

The evidence is right in front of you, Ole himself has stated he turned down multiple jobs from the premiership and elsewhere on Europe because he wanted to spend time with his family.

No it's not. I'm asking for you for a single direct quote where Ole says he has turned down job offers or any credible source linking him to any major job. Throwing around Club Brugge's alleged interest in Ole is literally scraping bottom of the barrel.

There's every chance he could have been a success at Everton or there's equal chance he could have been another Lampard, no one will ever know.

This statement could've been said for literally anyone. But there's a reason why Ole wasn't even in the consideration set. Why are you refusing to acknowledge that?

Considering he also stated that he watched all 160 odd games from his time at United to learn from his mistakes suggests he hasn't lost motivation.

I get some people didn't like him as a manager but to make things up just to try and justify a stance is bordering on ridiculous.

I'm sorry, but it seems like you're clinging on to PR-driven nonsense to convince yourself that Ole is a good manager who has a lot of interest in him. Please wake up and face the reality. Managers sacked in and around his time included Dyche, Farke, Dean Smith etc. Most of them have been given some opportunity or the other. Even Hodgson came back from the dead to manage Palace again. No one has shown any interest in hiring Ole and that is the reality. You can cling on to potential interest from Club Brugge for Ole but that doesn't change the reality. If he hasn't lost motivation and also has clubs interested in his services, why is he still not in a job?