Obscure football moments from yesteryear you randomly recall at random times

Djimi Traore inexplicably pirouettes in his own box and ends up with an own goal

Jay Jay Okocha dribbling and selling Roy Keane a faint so much so Keano ran out of the TV frame.

Cameras panning the number 7 shirt as Ronaldo came on to make his debut against Bolton.

On the opposite end of the spectrum for Djimi.

Stevie G’s slip vs Chelsea. Haven’t seen it mentioned yet. Whenever someone fails really, really hard at something “the slip” still springs to mind.

You are immortal Stevie

This and the beach ball goal are absolute all timers, just incredible

I always seem to remember Callum Wilson just collapsing whilst sprinting and face diving the turf as if he'd just given up on existence. It was when he still played for Bournemouth and I believe he'd just returned from a long injury lay off and something in his knee went again. It was just a bit surreal watching him flop forward in the way he did.

Stevie G’s slip vs Chelsea. Haven’t seen it mentioned yet. Whenever someone fails really, really hard at something “the slip” still springs to mind.

You are immortal Stevie

To be fair, the task was obscure (or kinda forgotten) moments. The slip is one of the most famous moments in PL history.

Schmeichel manhandling a pitch invader when United played Galatasaray in the Champions League at Old Trafford, physically throwing him off the pitch.

Strcilty speaking a red card offence in today's rules and players have been sent off for it since. Don't know if such occurences were even thought about then.

Quite dramatic too, two blokes ran on, one of them with a burning Turkish flag. I think he was protesting for the Kurds as part of their seperatist movement. In today's world people might have been shitting themselves that a terrorist attack was about to happen.

Weird thing was the Galatasaray players, presumably pro-Turkish if anything had a go at Schmeichel for it.

That's just belatedly reminded me, Mark Noble carrying Ander Herrera away.

Can't say it riled me up the way it did a lot of United fans at the time, thought it was quite funny.

Balotelli screaming at Ronaldo while at Inter for "diving" at OT

Schmichaels star jump style save

Wan Bissaka's look at Saint Maximam on the floor in the carling cup final just before he got subbed off

Pogatetz everytime he played at OT trying to break everyones leg

Julian Dicks penalties scaring me as a kid

Paul Warhurst. Signed by Sheffield Wednesday as a Centre Back. After Hirst and Bright got injured, he was played as an emergency centre forward.

Scored 12 in 12 games. Got an England call up as a centre forward.

Got injured. Never played for England. Fell out with his club manager as he apparently refused to go back to playing centre half.

He played for another 14 years. He only scored 32 goals in a 388 game career.

It was bewildering at the time. Still is.

Alex Ferguson looking demented, with rage, and calling our players to the dressing-room for the mother and father of all hairdryers after the 3-2 cup win at ten men city in 2012.

Vidic getting an almighty hit in the balls as we were well against Bayern in Moyes' season, then losing the game 3-1. We might have lost anyway but I remember thinking at the time, how can he play on? Then he is at fault for 2 goals. Some people commented that it was because his legs were gone, no one seemed to figure this might related to this.

simpsons-man-getting-hit.gif

When the offside rule was really confusing and Bolton used to put two attacking players on the posts when they had a freekick

Marcel Seip scoring for Blackpool against Plymouth. This was his debut after joining on loan from... Plymouth. Not only that, he was actually married to the Plymouth chairman's daughter. I remember there being a great picture in the paper the next day taken after the final whistle showing the director's box with the wife and her mother looking delighted whilst the chairman was furious.

Juventus Deportivo 2002. I remember it a was cold, winter night and had just got home home after playing football with classmates. I then started listening to the CL games with a radio. In the last minutes, Tudor scored for Juve to win it, and the commentator was ecstatic. I am not a Juventus fan, and I have never ever seen the goals, but for whatever reason this game brings me comfort.

All the cold snowy games in Russia. Some big European team playing in gloves, snoods with blankets on their legs on the bench.

I often think about Peter Schmeichels amazing volleyed finish that was disallowed for offside. I think it was a cup game against Wimbledon that we lost but I remember thinking at the time that it didn’t get the recognition it deserved.

This piece of commentary - I don’t even know why. The same game Ronaldo made his debut.

It’s Giggs. It’s not bad is it. All those years of standing by the ball as David Beckham’s decoy, have just come spectacularly to an end for Ryan Giggs.

Chicharito volleying the ball against his own head from about 1 yard out and scoring on his debut always comes to mind, and also scoring with the back of his head.

Sol Campbell's slide tackle.

Darren Pitcher's goal in the FA Cup 1995, just love the noise this makes as it hits the stanchion. 40 seconds.

There was a team, think it was Everton who for about 2 or 3 weeks did something unuaual when defending set pieces. 4 or 5 of them would hold each others hands and gradually space apart until their arms were spread wide and they could no longer reach each other. That point was deemed to be the correct spacing for their zonal marking.

Didn't last long and I think Sky did a little look into why they were doing it as it was something different. Opposition fans wolf-whistling at them because it was men holding hands.

This must have been so traumatic that I blanked it out of my memory, don't remember it at all
This must have happened to me with the leagu cup final vs Liverpool in 2003.

I literally had no recollection of it and then I seen on sky sports/tnt on one of those football classics shows (can't remember the actual channel or name of show) and seen united vs Liverpool final. I watched it and didn't know the score. I completely erased it from my memory, unfortunately I remember it now.

I have relatives who support Wigan Athletic. Always remember this footage that they had on a season VHS many years ago - though this YouTube clip is from Sky's Soccer AM. It's when Wigan used to play at Springfield Park, and the away end was really shitty - especially when it rained... :lol:

For some random reason, I became a bit of a fan of Argentina's Martin Palermo. And I still remember staying up in the early hours of the morning during Copa America 1999, and seeing him miss 3 penalties in the same game v Colombia...

I remember being very impressed by Yakubu's finish against Arsenal in a 4-3 win for Blackburn in 2011. I always remember this goal for some bizarre reason. The finishing technique is clever.

2009/10 CL match against Bayern I think it was, Rafael made a tackle and the prick of a Bayern player goes waving an imaginary card to the referee, who then sends Rafael off.

Prick.