Obscure football moments from yesteryear you randomly recall at random times

Rory Delap was such a menace in the league, some teams elected to give away corners instead of throw ins.

It’s United related. But I still quite regularly think about Southend United defeating a Ferguson-managed Manchester United team with Rooney and Ronaldo in it
Funny enough I was talking with a lad in work about this the other day. Freddy friggin Eastwood. I still remember Jeff Stelling's commentary on sky sports news. "Manchester United are throwing the kitchen sink at Southend!"

17 October 2009 was for me the peak Liverpool moment and I will never remember how much I laughed at them that day. Lost 1-0 to Sunderland after Darren Bent shot was deflected by the beachball thrown by a Pool fan.

They were so shit back then :lol: that line up and that 5-4-1 formation is something the streets should never forget

Screenshot-2024-10-10-at-19-09-51.png

(they finished 7th that season, their worst in 11 years and that's fecking higher than ten Hag last season)

Steve Bruse scoring two headers in the last 5 mins against Sheffield Wednesday in 93. Was when I really started to love football! Always sticks in my head!

Macheda scoring against Villa in 2009 to win it after we’d been 2 down! Loved that.

Stevie G’s slip vs Chelsea. Haven’t seen it mentioned yet. Whenever someone fails really, really hard at something “the slip” still springs to mind.

You are immortal Stevie

There was a game in the 80s when big Ron was manager where we missed two penalties in 2 minutes and lost.
I remember watching MotD and being very upset as a roughly 10 year old.
I had thought Jesper Olsen missed them both but the second was taken by strachan (after I google searched it)
Don’t think there are any videos though.
We lost 1-0 against Chelsea.

I found it!

I went through each game and read the match reports looking for any reference to a shot that just went wide (with no save for VDS since he's collecting it for a GK).

It was Bobby Zamora's shot in the final game of that clean sheet run. 18th Feb 2009.

1:40 onwards in this video:

Think I’ve told this elsewhere on the site, But I met Dimi once at a hotel bar in Croatia. Quick chat about football while my girlfriend got bored. Basically told him that he was a shit Cantona. He responded with ‘I was better at everything than Cantona. Shooter, passer, in the air, faster. But he was a better player. In the biggest moments, but only for a short time’. I’m massively paraphrasing but I was blown away.

He then told the bartender to settle our bill. Sadly we had only had one drink. But still, top dude. I was half cut when I walked in, and pretty much insulted him.

Berbatov would have been an all-timer in an era a decade prior. When being a creative maverick would have been enough. I don’t think he was better than Eric. But he’d have been higher regarded in the same era.

There's a couple of games that really stick out to me from when I was a kid, which were totally random ones. I was lucky enough to have an NTL (I think it was still NTL not Virgin yet then) feed coming through to my bedroom as a teen in the early 2000's.

We played Everton in a Monday night game around 2002 that we made hard work of. They had more of the ball than us at Old Trafford which was rare back then. We eventually won the game 3-0 but Paul Scholes didn't open the scoring until the last 5 minutes. He also bagged another and I think Ruud got a goal too, can't remember which way around. But it was just a flurry at the end in a game that seemed destined to end 0-0.

The other was also in 2002 against a team in blue, Chelsea. We were playing a Premier League game in August at Stamford Bridge and it was a Friday night for some reason, I can't remember why. But it was definitely extremely rare to have Premier League football on a Friday night then. I remember Andy Gray on commentary laying into Roy Carrol as we'd gone a goal down early and levelled it up. Roy throws the ball out in the 45th minute trying to start a quick counter attack but it's given away and Chelsea score on the stroke of half time. Ryan Giggs scores his 100th goal for United in the second half and it ends 2-2.

Completely random games that stick in the memory for some reason.

Feck me, for whatever reason bolded is also one of those random turn-of-the-century United games well-preserved in my memory bank. Another such game for me was us playing Bolton at home on New Year's Eve around 2004 -- early Ronaldo days. Live pictures suggested Old Trafford was bitterly cold that night and we battered them 4-1.

Schmeichel's disallowed last minute overhead kick against Wimbledon in the Fa Cup. It feels like a drunken recollection but I suppose that's due to it happening in an era where crazy things seemed to happen every week.

Steve Bruse scoring two headers in the last 5 mins against Sheffield Wednesday in 93. Was when I really started to love football! Always sticks in my head!

Macheda scoring against Villa in 2009 to win it after we’d been 2 down! Loved that.
Incredible moments, but I'm not sure they're obscure.

I have this weird memory that pops from a late 90s/early 00s game where either Darren Huckerby or Paulo Wanchope (could be both to be fair) dribbled basically our entire team and scored.

Another one is Schmeichel's Barnsley blunder.

Edit: Should clarify for the newer members/fans that our defense wasnt always a walk-in closet.

The Rumbelows Sprint Challenge!

Take 1 player from each of the 92 league clubs, have them race each other in regional heats throughout the season, then have the finalists have a sprint off at Wembley for a £10,000 winner takes all prize ahead of the 1992 League Cup final sponsored by Rumbelows.

Won by John Williams of Swansea, then a 3rd tier side, he was an ex-postman. Got to think that would have been a few months wages, maybe as much as half a year's salary if not slightly over. Perhaps 2-4 weeks money for some of the top flight players? Not sure. Either way it was a good prize.

I think United entered Danny Wallace who didn't get past the heats.

For me it is O’Shea in goal against Spurs, rushing out of the area to tackle Robbie Keane.

Dirk Kuyt with worst hat-trick in the history of football, no exaggeration, against us.

1st goal: A 2 inch tap in.

2nd goal: A 4 yard header, assisted by the worst defensive header you've seen in your life courtesy of Nani.

3rd goal: A 2 yard tap in after a VDS blunder.

I remember needing to go for a walk to cool down after that horror show.

I like these niche events, next one is the Guiness Soccer Six.

Six-a-side indoor tournament including some top flight recognisable names of the day, held at various indoor arenas around the country in the 80s.

Went to one of the events with my dad at G-Mex in Manchester, now called Manchester Central which was a former railway station. I remember we almost didn't go as there was fan violence at one of them, still the days when hooliganism was more of a thing and he and my mum were a bit worried about safety. I remember United fans absolutely ripping into Jan Molby who was playing for Liverpool in the one I went to.

Saha beautiful backheel pass to Evra for an assist to Ronaldo. I think this was the first time in my life I truly couldn't comprehend how a pass was made. The weight of the pass coupled with the nutmeg was sensational. One of the most underrated pieces of skill. I remember that even on the day, more credit was given to Evra's run, which was quality as well.

Exact moment from 4:10 onwards

One of favorite non-reds of all time. Bosingwa tackle on Benayoun.

Benayoun conceding a foul for that is incredible. Maybe the worst call a linesman could make given his position in relation to the incident.

That Spurs player scoring from halfway against United, only for the officials to completely miss how far over the line the ball was. Always remember that.

Was there for that. Absolutely daft and great.

For some reason I occasionally find myself thinking about Chelsea v Sunderland at Stamford Bridge where Asamoah Gyan and Danny Welbeck ran absolute circles around Chelsea and Sunderland won 3-0.
I remember that one, Onouha scored a brilliant solo goal. Chelsea had started the season brilliantly and it all unravelled after that.

Ibras shitty hatrick vs etienne.
1. Deflected free kick that rolls slowly toward goal, and the keeper and defender both think the other guy will take it.
2. tap in after a cross is deflected first before the Etienne player steers it right to Ibra, trying to clear it.
3. Very soft penalty.

Rooney and Giggs (I think) attempting and succeeding at that corner routine in which one of them barely touches the ball and the other runs it into the box. Pretty sure we scored but the referee didn't see the touch and ordered a retake. We then scored from the retake.

Evra playing a throw-in off Giggs back.

Jones taking corners in the van Gaal era.

Rooney and Giggs (I think) attempting and succeeding at that corner routine in which one of them barely touches the ball and the other runs it into the box. Pretty sure we scored but the referee didn't see the touch and ordered a retake. We then scored from the retake.

Evra playing a throw-in off Giggs back.

Jones taking corners in the van Gaal era.

I remember that first one too, awful video quality here it is:

Second one made me think of this from Dean Saunders, so clever:

Jones taking corners is one I'd rather forget :lol:

I'll never forget United vs Leeds game where Beckford knocked us out of the FA Cup. Can't remember anything from the actual game but my mate got headbutted by a police horse beforehand and it was and remains to this day one of the funniest things I've witnessed.

Djimi Traore inexplicably pirouettes in his own box and ends up with an own goal

Jay Jay Okocha dribbling and selling Roy Keane a faint so much so Keano ran out of the TV frame.

Cameras panning the number 7 shirt as Ronaldo came on to make his debut against Bolton.

One day I will get enough likes for contributing to get out of my Newbie status.
Don't be invisible, make it seem like you know what you're talking about (even if you don't) and don't live on the Caf 24/7.

Fake it till you make it :lol:

The one time the alleged #1 fan if Manchester United was invited to meet LVG in a very awkward video. Starting off with the balding presenter smiling into the camera for 30 seconds straight, and then the fan meets LVG who was in sandals with socks, asking the fan if he wants him sacked. :lol: Been trying to find the video for years, where it has been so unavailable, I question if this even happened.

that sounds amazing