Obscure football moments from yesteryear you randomly recall at random times

Ah, it was worse than I remember. Nobody even complained that much either.

I sometimes watch this for a laugh too.

This brings a smile to my face because I remember this guy swiping his brother from my local club after he had only managed them for one game. The beginning of the end for this utter wank.

Saha beautiful backheel pass to Evra for an assist to Ronaldo. I think this was the first time in my life I truly couldn't comprehend how a pass was made. The weight of the pass coupled with the nutmeg was sensational. One of the most underrated pieces of skill. I remember that even on the day, more credit was given to Evra's run, which was quality as well.

Exact moment from 4:10 onwards

One of favorite non-reds of all time. Bosingwa tackle on Benayoun.

I always remember a moment where Silvestre had one of the best individual moments of defending I've seen. Pretty sure it was in the first half of the 03/04 season (when he was in the best form of his career), and I always had a feeling it was against Newcastle but I think watched some highlights of those games back about a year ago and couldn't find it.

Whoever our opposition was, they launched a counter-attack and somehow had a 3v1 with only Silvestre between them and the keeper. He came in and tackled the first guy in the middle of the pitch, but he either got a pass away or Silvestre knocked it to the second player. Silvestre made up ground and slid in and took both the ball and player, but the ball ran wider to the third guy. Silvestre managed to pick himself up and go flying out wide and then slid in and once again took both ball and player, this time knocking the ball out for a throw in.

3 v 1 and Silvestre somehow didn't just defend it well, he literally took all three of them out over the space of half a pitch. I really wish I could find a clip of it to watch it again.

Its surreal that many of these moments are now yesteryear yet I still remember where I watched the majority of United matches mentioned here.....

Vidic getting an almighty hit in the balls as we were well against Bayern in Moyes' season, then losing the game 3-1. We might have lost anyway but I remember thinking at the time, how can he play on? Then he is at fault for 2 goals. Some people commented that it was because his legs were gone, no one seemed to figure this might related to this.

Michael Brown's horror 'tackle' on Ryan Giggs. In this day and age that would probably have resulted in a very long ban. Disgusting

And for some reason, the tackle on Irwin in the 94 cup final - still the biggest stone wall penalty I've ever seen :lol:

(7.30 ish)

I often think about Guiseppe Rossi chipping the keeper, but I can't find it. I thought it was this match that he was great in against Burton Albion in an FA Cup third-round replay but no chip. He was class though.

That game really summed up Saha for me. The good and the bad.
Rossi was class though. I really got on the hype train for him.

An obscure, sick Beckham free-kick that officially never became a goal despite crossing the line. The Charity Shield 1-2 loss one. Probably his best, but in 0 Beckham videos/best free-kick videos.

The one time the alleged #1 fan if Manchester United was invited to meet LVG in a very awkward video. Starting off with the balding presenter smiling into the camera for 30 seconds straight, and then the fan meets LVG who was in sandals with socks, asking the fan if he wants him sacked. :lol: Been trying to find the video for years, where it has been so unavailable, I question if this even happened.

Recall Veron picking his nose while effortlessly pinging an absolute peach of a ball in the CL, can't remember the opponent, think it was either Deportivo or Olympiakos.

Not United related, but there was some keeper who did the funniest thing ever but I don't know the name, team or year (I think it was around 2011-2013).
The keeper kicked the ball, but it went straight to the opposite team, and instead of running straight back in goal, he decided to fix the turf he had just kicked off, before running back but he was too late as the opponent scored in an empty goal.
I've been searching for this video for over a decade but I just can't find it, but I think about it every once and a while.

The entire Lille team walking off the pitch in protest of the decision to allow Giggs to score a quick free kick. Only to then walk back on the pitch a few seconds later.

I often think about when Giggs and Beckham kicked that free kick at exactly the same time.

Wish it had gone in.
I don't understand why teams don't do this more often.

If you've got a free kick 25/30 yards out, put a left and right footer on it and have them both run to strike the ball at the same time. It's not some fool-proof trick that would work all the time but it might make a keeper take a wrong step either side.

I remember Ashley Cole refusing to turn and take a yellow from a referee. In my head he was there for about a minute refusing to turn but it was only about 20 seconds after watching it back.

Still a twat.

I often wonder if I imagined it, but as a kid in the 70s, I think there was a game where two players in the same team (Everton I think)were wearing 4 against Villa (I think).

Two funny moments that came to mind:

Eden Hazard gets a red for kicking the ball boy:

Sam Allardyce laughs at Chico Flores:

Oh Buttner’s goal against Everton. I remember all the talk about him being like the 7th best LB in Eredivisie and everyone was confused why we bought him.

Then he scored that solo goal, weaving his way through the Everton defence, while constantly looking like he’s about to trip himself, and you couldn’t help but wonder if we found a diamond in the rough.

Reactions: Jippy
That bloke in the Chelsea crowd who was brushing his teeth
I remember Ashley Cole refusing to turn and take a yellow from a referee. In my head he was there for about a minute refusing to turn but it was only about 20 seconds after watching it back.

Still a twat.

Proper Barclays, as the kids say. I miss that era of Premier League football.

Nani's goal against Spurs. Not the screamer on his debut but the one where Gomes thought it was a free-kick and Nani ran in an scored.

Nani's goal against Spurs. Not the screamer on his debut but the one where Gomes thought it was a free-kick and Nani ran in an scored.

Was there for that. Absolutely daft and great.

For some reason I occasionally find myself thinking about Chelsea v Sunderland at Stamford Bridge where Asamoah Gyan and Danny Welbeck ran absolute circles around Chelsea and Sunderland won 3-0.

this is going back a while but after the wonderful World Cup that was USA 94 a bunch of the stars of that WC signed for EPL clubs. On the opening day there was a humdinger of a match between Spurs v Sheffield Wednesday that had a bunch of these newcomers on both sides. I can still see a certain Jurgen Klinsmann scoring and doing that diving celebration. I think it finished 4:3 to Spurs that day.

Oh Buttner’s goal against Everton. I remember all the talk about him being like the 7th best LB in Eredivisie and everyone was confused why we bought him.

Then he scored that solo goal, weaving his way through the Everton defence, while constantly looking like he’s about to trip himself, and you couldn’t help but wonder if we found a diamond in the rough.

I remember him scoring on his debut against Wigan. Nick Powell scored a debut goal too. It was right in the thick of the Suarez racism fallout and wondered whether Evra might be spared the game at Anfield the following week.

I randomly think of Old Trafford booing Nani a decade ago. It was a shockingly uncomfortable experience. I remember feeling it was unfair, there were worse players on the pitch every game but he was the scapegoat. That feeling has only been reinforced over the years - even a past his prime Nani would have been an instant upgrade over a bunch of our current wide options, and it's funny how Old Trafford tolerates (even actively supports, at times) far lower standards these days.

Nani had a lot of frustrating moments, but you always felt like he could make something happen. Barring Rashford, how many United wingers since have made us feel that way?

He didn't deserve to be booed.

I randomly think of Old Trafford booing Nani a decade ago. It was a shockingly uncomfortable experience. I remember feeling it was unfair, there were worse players on the pitch every game but he was the scapegoat. That feeling has only been reinforced over the years - even a past his prime Nani would have been an instant upgrade over a bunch of our current wide options, and it's funny how Old Trafford tolerates (even actively supports, at times) far lower standards these days.

Nani had a lot of frustrating moments, but you always felt like he could make something happen. Barring Rashford, how many United wingers since have made us feel that way?

He didn't deserve to be booed.
It was during the first 2-3 months of the Moyes era where there was growing feeling of frustration and also uncertainty as to who to direct that frustration at. Nani was taking daft pot shots during that game so unfortunately he became the scapegoat that day. I remember feeling uncomfortable about the booing but you could also see it coming.

I get annoyed by this incident because Nani should have had a penalty right before which led to the while thing (and possibly a red card to spurs for denying the chance), but no one seems to ever acknowledge it.

The commentators at the time I think were Jon Champion and Craig Burley and their commentary was so biased against United it was ridiculous, every time they did one of our ganes. On the replay they claimed Nani dived which was simply a lie so they could justify complaining about United getting an undeserved goal.

Shearer getting one in the chops from Justin Whittle, remember watching this game thinking it was about time someone gave him something back. He was always being a dirty sneaky fecker.

Shearer was happy to let it go.

I have a memory of a Thierry Henry freekick that was lined up almost centre to the goal, where he miskicked it so badly it sliced out for a throw in. I remember seeing this live (or on MotD), and I also have a memory of Baddiel and Skinner playing the clip during one of the Fantasy Football League intl specials, which would’ve been before England played France in Euro 2004 group stages. One of the worst free kicks I’ve ever seen, but I’m starting to think I might have dreamt it. :lol:

Vidic bringing down Sheffield United's Luton Shelton from behind inside the area and giving away a corner, when it was a clear penalty and possibly a red card. I remember that a lot because no one ever mentioned it, it was even not mentioned in any of the post-match reports I read.

I now read that Shelton has passed away. RIP.

I always remember that game because Shelton looked world class. He was easily the best on the pitch. I thought he would go on to bigger things but it seems like it was a one off.

It was during the first 2-3 months of the Moyes era where there was growing feeling of frustration and also uncertainty as to who to direct that frustration at. Nani was taking daft pot shots during that game so unfortunately he became the scapegoat that day. I remember feeling uncomfortable about the booing but you could also see it coming.

Moyes got a standing ovation though :)

Another one, from like 2011 or 2012 I think, Mancini while managing City, game ended and he’s freaking out, walks up to the camera by the touchline and starts saying, “Was goal! Was goal!”

Then in the post match interview is asked what he was saying, and says, “was goal”

I don’t remember the game and can’t find a video but the video is crystal clear in my head:lol:

Edit: 2012? Found this thread