Obscure football moments from yesteryear you randomly recall at random times

Kopral Jono

Wordy title but speaks for itself. Interestingly enough these hazy memories fall halfway between reality and fiction. For instance just this morning during shower out of the blue (no pun intended) I had Everton's Alan Stubbs' free kick against Stoke in the FA Cup third round way back in 2002 replayed over and over again in my head. Not too long ago while driving home it was a brilliant double save by Richard Dutruel from a header during his Celta Vigo days against an opponent for the love of everything holy I don't remember.

I couldn't find any clip of the latter's double save so this could be fictional, or rather it could well be reality embellished by exaggerations in my head. You get the gist.

Not one specific memory, but I do have nightmares about each time Brad Friedel played against us.

I remember watching him play like his life depended on it.

Kevin Davies tackle on Cleverley. I still believe it was the start of Cleverley becoming a meme.

Kevin Davies tackle on Cleverley. I still believe it was the start of Cleverley becoming a meme.
I want to track down the 90 mins of those games up til that injury because it's such a weird brief period in United history. Were Ando and Cleverley actually playing that good or did we just have easy games? Why were they playing good?! Why did we score so many goals? I remember thinking Rooney was going to score 40-45 that season after the start he had.

On the thread topic I always remember Rooney's disallowed goal that same season against Liverpool which would have been his hat trick. Some strike.

There was this game i think around 2008 or 2009, VDS was going for some cleen sheet record and rio/vidic blundered nearly let one in. Missing far post by an inch, He then turn towards camera and gave a cheeky 'feck me' look. I been trying to find the video ever since.

There was this game i think around 2008 or 2009, VDS was going for some cleen sheet record and rio/vidic blundered nearly let one in. Missing far post by an inch, He then turn towards camera and gave a cheeky 'feck me' look. I been trying to find the video ever since.
I know exactly what you mean!
Has to be early 2009, he broke the PL clean sheet record vs West Brom (27 January 2009) and the English league record vs Everton (31 January 2009).

That time when Everton beat us to 4th, moyes did a vid leaned in a designer chair in a beige cardigan and a glass of bubbles declaring their superiority over us. A new era was surely dawning and Rafa Beneathus would surely be a long lived thing.

Then we went and won the actual CL, qualified that way, while Everton managed to get knocked out in the qualifiers and immediately proceeded to get knocked out of the Europa league in the first round as well.

Bjarte Flem! :lol: I wasn’t even born at the time, but have seen it many times. One of those major WTF moments

it's such a weird brief period in United history. Were Ando and Cleverley actually playing that good or did we just have easy games? Why were they playing good?! Why did we score so many goals?
The loss in the 2011 Champions League Final was very fresh in the memory and it was as if we felt we had to 'Barcelona ourselves' in order to really kick on and challenge them. We were playing some really lovely slick, short, pass and move football during the beginning of that 2011/12 season.

This was the first match i saw live in the PL.

The ref in the 1990 world cup semi finals between Italy and Argentina forgetting to blow the whistle for half time in extra time for about eight minutes.

I think there was a season (2010/11) in which we drew one home game and won all others. The game we drew was in which VDS made two howlers against West Brom. Was gutted we didn't win all our home games.

It’s United related. But I still quite regularly think about Southend United defeating a Ferguson-managed Manchester United team with Rooney and Ronaldo in it

It’s United related. But I still quite regularly think about Southend United defeating a Ferguson-managed Manchester United team with Rooney and Ronaldo in it

This must have been so traumatic that I blanked it out of my memory, don't remember it at all

I'll never forget Mark Hughes' phantom goal playing for Southampton at the Dell. He volleyed the ball beautifully it shot into the net hit the advertising hoardings directly behind the goal and bounced straight out, the ref thought it had been saved and didn't give it, it was the goal that no one noticed!

I'll never forget Mark Hughes' phantom goal playing for Southampton at the Dell. He volleyed the ball beautifully it shot into the net hit the advertising hoardings directly behind the goal and bounced straight out, the ref thought it had been saved and didn't give it, it was the goal that no one noticed!

Remember that, very hard to find a replay of it.

On the flip side you had Atwell and his linesman giving a goal when the ball went wide.

Tromsø beating Chelsea in '97 where the entire pitch eventually was covered in snow.

Was this where Freddie Eastwood scored a free kick against us? I was thinking about this yesterday! How odd if so.

I often think about when Giggs and Beckham kicked that free kick at exactly the same time.

Wish it had gone in.

When I'm angry I occasionally remember this post match statement:

Context: During the match four players of his team got sent off (actually not a scandal, every single red card was deserved, but still I think everyone get's his anger here)

A serious discussion on sky about possible match-fixing at the under-20 World Cup in 2018. Because Haaland had scored 9 goals in a game. Or maybe more that a qualifying team could lose by 12 goals against another weak side in the tournament.

It caused a twitter storm at the time.

I vividly remember this too and it doesn't seem to be anywhere you're right. I think it was just before the era where everything got clipped up and posted immediately.

Great, now I have a new white whale to go alongside @Mockney's church gif.

I also remember it was Peter Lovenkrands of all people who broke that record.

I've searched for a replay too the only one I can find is this

But you ave to listen to some guy talking about it first.

Ah, it was worse than I remember. Nobody even complained that much either.

I sometimes watch this for a laugh too.

There's a couple of games that really stick out to me from when I was a kid, which were totally random ones. I was lucky enough to have an NTL (I think it was still NTL not Virgin yet then) feed coming through to my bedroom as a teen in the early 2000's.

We played Everton in a Monday night game around 2002 that we made hard work of. They had more of the ball than us at Old Trafford which was rare back then. We eventually won the game 3-0 but Paul Scholes didn't open the scoring until the last 5 minutes. He also bagged another and I think Ruud got a goal too, can't remember which way around. But it was just a flurry at the end in a game that seemed destined to end 0-0.

The other was also in 2002 against a team in blue, Chelsea. We were playing a Premier League game in August at Stamford Bridge and it was a Friday night for some reason, I can't remember why. But it was definitely extremely rare to have Premier League football on a Friday night then. I remember Andy Gray on commentary laying into Roy Carrol as we'd gone a goal down early and levelled it up. Roy throws the ball out in the 45th minute trying to start a quick counter attack but it's given away and Chelsea score on the stroke of half time. Ryan Giggs scores his 100th goal for United in the second half and it ends 2-2.

Completely random games that stick in the memory for some reason.

Forlan running around half naked because he was unable to put his shirt back on after scoring.

I want to track down the 90 mins of those games up til that injury because it's such a weird brief period in United history. Were Ando and Cleverley actually playing that good or did we just have easy games? Why were they playing good?! Why did we score so many goals? I remember thinking Rooney was going to score 40-45 that season after the start he had.
I can't find the full highlights but it was 5-0 to United and I remember Rooney scored a hattrick and Davies only got a yellow card... madness.

At the time I thought we got Scholes replacement sorted out in Cleverley so he was definitely in an upward trajectory, so did a lot of caf posters back then (I was a lurker). I looked up some stats https://www.premierleague.com/match/7497 and interestingly we didn't even start with Carrick. He came in to replace Cleverley. Shows you how on form Cleverley was.

On a Manutd fan facebook page I used to follow, people were mad after that tackle. Like really mad. They demanded an apology and spammed his fan page straight away, even if it was pointless (it's not like he read his own fanpage anyway) and Davies didn't apologize until 1-2 days after the match.

I often think about Guiseppe Rossi chipping the keeper, but I can't find it. I thought it was this match that he was great in against Burton Albion in an FA Cup third-round replay but no chip. He was class though.

I know exactly what you mean!
Has to be early 2009, he broke the PL clean sheet record vs West Brom (27 January 2009) and the English league record vs Everton (31 January 2009).

I vividly remember this too and it doesn't seem to be anywhere you're right. I think it was just before the era where everything got clipped up and posted immediately.

Great, now I have a new white whale to go alongside @Mockney's church gif.

I also remember it was Peter Lovenkrands of all people who broke that record.

I found it!

I went through each game and read the match reports looking for any reference to a shot that just went wide (with no save for VDS since he's collecting it for a GK).

It was Bobby Zamora's shot in the final game of that clean sheet run. 18th Feb 2009.

1:40 onwards in this video:

Vidic bringing down Sheffield United's Luton Shelton from behind inside the area and giving away a corner, when it was a clear penalty and possibly a red card. I remember that a lot because no one ever mentioned it, it was even not mentioned in any of the post-match reports I read.

I now read that Shelton has passed away. RIP.

I found it!

I went through each game and read the match reports looking for any reference to a shot that just went wide (with no save for VDS since he's collecting it for a GK).

It was Bobby Zamora's shot in the final game of that clean sheet run. 18th Feb 2009.

1:40 onwards in this video:

Ahhhh yes.. thank you. 10 years i been searching for it.