Noussair Mazraoui | has signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because
1) we already have a trusted right back who is young and also one of our fittest players so we don't need a big investment in the position.
2) Mazraoui kills two birds with one stone because he can cover left back as well possibly buy Amass a chance to make a claim for the position long-term.
3) he's relatively cheap and I doubt he'll be on big wages, so it wouldn't be so tough moving him on when he looses relevance and he can be really good for us in relation to his price tag.
4) he already knows the manager demands and have thrived under him.
What good he be if he missing through injury when we need him?

Missed 78 days and 19 games due to various muscle injuries.
Missed 72 days the season before that.
Missed 62 days the season before that.

He could be free and play for us on minimum wage but he'll have to available to help our cause. Just being 'cheap' is not a justification for signing a player.

I hope that Bayern doesn't get second thoughts after Ito broke his foot yesterday.
Not sure but I think that would more affect our De Ligt chase than Mazraoui chase. Between the Yoro injury and the Ito injury, they will definitely not budge on their €50m demand for De Ligt now.

He could be free and play for us on minimum wage but he'll have to available to help our cause. Just being 'cheap' is not a justification for signing a player.
See the injury worry is valid in this case, but I don't think there's funds for a Vanderson or Frimpong. Mazraoui combination of quality, versatility and low price is what we'll have to go for. Dalot is usually fit so hopefully it remains the case.
It's a risk the club is willing to take, maybe in a year or two we could priorities getting another right back, we can't have it all sorted at once.

Because
1) we already have a trusted right back who is young and also one of our fittest players so we don't need a big investment in the position.
2) Mazraoui kills two birds with one stone because he can cover left back as well possibly buy Amass a chance to make a claim for the position long-term.
3) he's relatively cheap and I doubt he'll be on big wages, so it wouldn't be so tough moving him on when he looses relevance and he can be really good for us in relation to his price tag.
1. If you need a left back, buy a left back.
2. Dalot having one injury free season isn’t a proof of him staying injury free again, as he’s had groin, hamstring and meniscus issues in the past and he’s coming off of an extended summer of tournament fatigue.
3. Already knows the manager isn’t a valid reason to buy someone, see Amrabat, Antony and Malacia.

Injury record aside, the fact that he can play both fullback slots is a plus.

Also Antony played his best Ajax football with mazrouri at RB behind him. Maybe Utd think it's worth the risk to see if he can help Antony get back to his Ajax form rather than just write off £80mil that they invested in him.

Not sure but I think that would more affect our De Ligt chase than Mazraoui chase. Between the Yoro injury and the Ito injury, they will definitely not budge on their €50m demand for De Ligt now.
They want de Ligt to leave as they have enough cover at CB.
But at LB it is Davies (coming off of 3 mediocre seasons and leaving next summer on a free), Ito (who just broke his foot and will be out about 4 months), Guerreiro (who cannot stay healthy) and Nous.

See the injury worry is valid in this case, but I don't think there's funds for a Vanderson or Frimpong. Mazraoui combination of quality, versatility and low price is what we'll have to go for. Dalot is usually fit so hopefully it remains the case.
It's a risk the club is willing to take, maybe in a year or two we could priorities getting another right back, we can't have it all sorted at once.
He is 'Cheap' only in terms of the fees. I am sure he'd demand a fair wage and a minimum 4+1 contract when he signs for us. The overall cost of the deal will be significant. We cannot have a player sit on the IR for the next four/five years while getting paid. We don't need a replacement for Phil Jones.

He is 'Cheap' only in terms of the fees. I am sure he'd demand a fair wage and a minimum 4+1 contract when he signs for us. The overall cost of the deal will be significant. We cannot have a player sit on the IR for the next four/five years while getting paid. We don't need a replacement for Phil Jones.
We could just go on an on, hopefully it would turn out to be a risk that pays of.

His 'games missed' record on its own actually makes his injury history look better than it is.

19 games over 78 days? Try that in a 20-team league with an extra competition, on top of an increase in European fixtures. You could easily be looking at ~30 games over the course of those 78 days.

I hope Bayern are throwing in a few four-leaf clovers and rabbit's feet for the fee.

1. If you need a left back, buy a left back.
2. Dalot having one injury free season isn’t a proof of him staying injury free again, as he’s had groin, hamstring and meniscus issues in the past and he’s coming off of an extended summer of tournament fatigue.
3. Already knows the manager isn’t a valid reason to buy someone, see Amrabat, Antony and Malacia.
I don't agree with your number one, it betrays United identity to block the path of a talent like Amass into the first team. The current situation gives him a chance to make a claim.
Your number three point, Malacia never previously played under Eth and was a decent buy, he's been unfortunate with injury.

Haven't watched him play, maybe he's good. But I note that we are again going for a former ten Hag player, and at least in part with the motivation that he's got great chemistry with Antony. Seems to me like we're doubling down here, on ten Hag and on Antony. It's hard to feel convinced of the wisdom of that.

Wasn’t this fella the Caf’s number one choice for RB a few years ago?

Also Antony played his best Ajax football with mazrouri at RB behind him. Maybe Utd think it's worth the risk to see if he can help Antony get back to his Ajax form rather than just write off £80mil that they invested in him.
That's a terrible plan if true. If we go by that logic, we'd need the entire Ajax squad to make the 80m misunderstanding work.

Because
1.Dalot can be trusted to stay fit, now we will have 3 untreliable fullbacks if we add Mazraoui.

2.A cover player is supposed to be available when shaw or dalot are not available. I am guessing there will be a few times where someone will have to play out of position because Mazraoui wont be available himself.

3.Bayern got him as a free agent he is apparently on 129k a week. He will be our 2nd highest paid fullback unless he is convinced to take less.

We cant keep glossing over his injury record like its of no concern. He is clearly a talented player but adding him to a collection of fullbacks that already has 2 crocks at the left makes zero sense to me.

1.Dalot can be trusted to stay fit, now we will have 3 untreliable fullbacks if we add Mazraoui.

2.A cover player is supposed to be available when shaw or dalot are not available. I am guessing there will be a few times where someone will have to play out of position because Mazraoui wont be available himself.

3.Bayern got him as a free agent he is apparently on 129k a week. He will be our 2nd highest paid fullback unless he is convinced to take less.

We cant keep glossing over his injury record like its of no concern. He is clearly a talented player but adding him to a collection of fullbacks that already has 2 crocks at the left makes zero sense to me.
Dalot was pretty much our only fit fullback last season.

I'd be a lot happier with this Mazraoui deal if we also sign a LB.

It's one thing to risk a player with a dubious injury history covering for the typically very robust Dalot. It's another if you also need your RBs to regularly provide cover for the much less robust Shaw.
All this attention on stockpiling fullbacks whilst we have the carcass of Casemiro lumbering about in midfield. I love it

I’d sell him even if he was the last standing defender on the team.
Why exactly?

I remember him complaining about playing time a while back directly to the media. I sometimes watch Bundesliga highlights and can't recall ever noticing him.

Overall, I'm not convinced about him. It feels like we wouldn't be going for him if it weren't part of the de Ligt deal.

Why exactly?

I remember him complaining about playing time a while back directly to the media. I sometimes watch Bundesliga highlights and can't recall ever noticing him.

Overall, I'm not convinced about him. It feels like we wouldn't be going for him if it weren't part of the de Ligt deal.
Because I don’t think he’s that good and can’t stand him at all.

I don't agree with your number one, it betrays United identity to block the path of a talent like Amass into the first team. The current situation gives him a chance to make a claim.
Your number three point, Malacia never previously played under Eth and was a decent buy, he's been unfortunate with injury.
Then don’t buy a right back and let Wan Bissaka’s contract expire? He’s atleast been the more reliable of the fullbacks until the last season.

Malacia never played for Ten Hag but he was chosen based on Ten Hag’s sides playing against him in the eredevisie and even when fit he barely looked the part.

It would take a miracle worker not a fullback to make Antony effective on a football field.

Not sure I wholeheartedly agree with Malacia being a decent buy. He had the same trajectory as Telles. Looked good for the first couple of games, then his weaknesses started to become apparent. Like Telles and now Mazraoui, his main plus point was he was cheap and ok’ish.

Malacia has experienced that classic caf trope of becoming better in absence.

Forgot about his Jong Ajax days. He has done a very healthy 4 out of 8 seasons.
Yes, 4 is a bit different than 8. off course, if you had chosen league games above 19 instead of 20, it would have been 7/8, or games total above 26, it would have been 8/8.

Or if you had compared him to another RB at the same age, not particularily known for injury issues, like Wan-Bissaka, you could say Mazraoui has managed 276 games to Wan-Bissaka’s 236.

No one is questioning that Masraoui has had a lot of injury/health issues the last seasons, but there is also more and less speculative ways of presenting facts.

I actually like him as a player but his injury record and being a player that has played under ETH already just doesn’t make me like this at all. It’s like we’ve not learned our lesson.

Mount couldn’t stay fit in his last season at Chelsea, we sign him and he was pretty much unavailable last season through injuries. A year from now we’ll be complaining that we had to play Yoro at LB for half the season.

Please swerve on this stupid transfer! He’s not that good, he’s going to get crocked because the pace and intensity of the Bundeliga is already too much for his muscles.

I’d sell him even if he was the last standing defender on the team.

Surely this tells you everything Utd, just look how little his current club actually rate him. This signing would definitely be the Mason Mount of last summer, in other words I can't understand it and have wrote off.

Expect him to play the most games out of our fullbacks if he's signed.

Wasn’t this fella the Caf’s number one choice for RB a few years ago?
I was all for this guy at the time we were first linked to him, having not checked on him at Bayern and going by how brilliant he once was. All the information received since then suggests this isn't a good idea and that he's even more of a sicknote than Shaw.

It seems to be madness to buy these players unless they are club signings. My feeling is ETH mightn't last until Christmas, so signings should not revolve around him and have to be useful for whoever may come in and manage the team. Not sure Mazraoui fits this billing in his current state.

What's more, we're even worse with proclivity to injuries than Bayern are - if he hadn't a prayer of staying fit there, what chance does he have here? Especially so when coming to harder, faster more physical league.

It comes across as a very poor pursuit.

I cannot understand what the problem is with this signing, he is obviously one for squad depth, he has qualities Bassaka doesn't. Ten hag has already highlighted our biggest weakness is the quality beyond the first eleven, this is a step to improve that.

Remember ETH never agreed to change his contract terms. He still has the final say on transfers so it's not a surprise we still end up going for Dutch or his old players.
No he doesn't. He has a veto in his contract still but that doesn't mean he has final say.

Any signings we make we has to be one that ten Hag, Ashworth and co all agree on. I can't believe people are stupid enough to believe that INEOS have gone out to hire the best in class and have restructured the club just to follow the same old methods. Do you seriously believe Ashworth would've came here if he didn't have a say in transfers?

I cannot understand what the problem is with this signing, he is obviously one for squad depth, he has qualities Bassaka doesn't. Ten hag has already highlighted our biggest weakness is the quality beyond the first eleven, this is a step to improve that.
The problem is that we need a left back more than a right back because Shaw is always injured and Dalot is always fit. Adding an injury prone back-up right back doesn't solve anything. I know he can play left back, but is he actually any good there?

Surely this tells you everything Utd, just look how little his current club actually rate him. This signing would definitely be the Mason Mount of last summer, in other words I can't understand it and have wrote off.
I’m just one dude who can’t stand him due to his homophobia. I don’t think I’m representative of Bayernfans as a whole on that matter.

Dalot was pretty much our only fit fullback last season.
There was Reguilon for the 1st half of the season and Amrabat for some games at lb. Having Dalot as the only fit fullback was an issue. But we went into that season with the understanding that awb wasnt injury prone, we can call it bad luck. The difference here is we will knowingly go into the season with 3 injury prone fullbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.