Noussair Mazraoui | has signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
He won't be relied upon as much as Bayern where we already have clear cut first choices at his position
If the idea is to get rid of Awb whilst getting this guy let me remind you that Shaw is injury prone. We might require Mazraoui to stay fit for several months.

76 days missed on average over the last 5 years and United are signing him. :lol:

Yeah, he will be great cover for the likes of Shaw and Malacia. Predictions when all three are out? I say October.

Dont get in-between the fans and a shinny new toy. This move would make sense if this guy had a clean fitness record.

Was hoping we'd move away from ETH-led signings. Aside from Yoro that hasn't seemed to be the case unfortunately. Looks like this one is just a matter of time. I don't see this being a success and expect he'll be injured for much of the season, but at this stage can probably just hope for the best.
I don't think Zirkzee is linked to EtH in any way aside from being Dutch.

But I get the sentiment if the club signed both of De Ligt and Mazraoui, it's like EtHs Ajax (2.0)

Just looked it up and it seems he started for Bayern in their Quarter final second leg win vs Arsenal, and both semis vs Real Madrid, each time as their left back.

So I’m guessing United are hoping he can cover both full back areas?

Also seems weird that someone who started in two CL semi finals for Bayern Munich a few months ago was nearly signed by West Ham

Just looked it up and it seems he started for Bayern in their Quarter final second leg and both semis vs Real Madrid, each time as their left back.

So I’m guessing United are hoping he can cover both full back areas?

Also seems weird that someone who started in two CL semi finals for Bayern Munich a few months ago was nearly signed by West Ham
Bayern need sales to fund the pricey summer buys they're looking into...

They already spent a penny on Olise without outgoings

Good lord another EtH signing.
INEOS have purportedly signed first in class masters in every facet of football, but you can’t beat a good old “I used to coach this geezer 3 years ago” signing

INEOS have purportedly signed first in class masters in every facet of football, but you can’t beat a good old “I used to coach this geezer 3 years ago” signing
The issue with activating the 1 year extension is that ETH still has a massive say in transfers. For well known players like Yoro or Ugarte that might not be a problem, but if our recruitment team suggests a talented young player from South America that ETH knows nothing about, there's a good chance he'll refuse any of these type of signings.

The issue with activating the 1 year extension is that ETH still has a massive say in transfers. For well known players like Yoro or Ugarte that might not be a problem, but if our recruitment team suggests a talented young player from South America that ETH knows nothing about, there's a good chance he'll refuse any of these type of signings.
Is it confirmed that we only activated the extension in his contract? I thought he signed a new deal.

I don't really think Eth has any crazy say in transfers. What exactly is he going to do? he's not in a position of power.

Is it confirmed that we only activated the extension in his contract? I thought he signed a new deal.
It's confirmed that we activated the 1-year extension. It was not a new contract, hence it only being a 1-year extension and not longer. This means that all the terms of his original contract made under the Glazers are the same, including his say on transfers. All reports suggest INEOS were trying to get ETH to sign a new, longer contract under new terms (heavily rumoured to include less say in transfers) but ETH refused. They couldn't have the manager in place with his contract set to expire at the end of the season so they activated the 1-year extension.

I don't really think Eth has any crazy say in transfers. What exactly is he going to do? he's not in a position of power.
The reports on the original contract stated ETH had to agree to any player the club signs. For example, if the recruitment team identified a player they thought would be a good fit but ETH did not want the signing, he could reject it and that move would not happen.

I can't get behind this, seems rather desperate and at 21m it's a bad deal for me. His injury record is awful, it will only get worse here knowing our luck.

Also another player that played under ETH, his influence over transfers is still clear.

Wasn't the fee between West Ham and Bayern lower - reported to be about €15.5m +5m?

Our fee is reportedly ~£20m?

The reports on the original contract stated ETH had to agree to any player the club signs. For example, if the recruitment team identified a player they thought would be a good fit but ETH did not want the signing, he could reject it and that move would not happen.
I believe most of our managers were given this privilege. They get 1 veto per window.

I can't get behind this, seems rather desperate and at 21m it's a bad deal for me. His injury record is awful, it will only get worse here knowing our luck.

Also another player that played under ETH, his influence over transfers is still clear.

AWB has a worse one recently.

Always thought he is a top top player. Only big con is the injury record. Maybe we are lucky this time

Don't like this move. I thought the idea was signing better players instead of adding more mediocre ones

There’ll be some kind of link for Bayern and/or the agent around De Ligt. Decent replacement for AWB and sweetens the De Ligt deal

Was hoping we'd move away from ETH-led signings. Aside from Yoro that hasn't seemed to be the case unfortunately. Looks like this one is just a matter of time. I don't see this being a success and expect he'll be injured for much of the season, but at this stage can probably just hope for the best.

Because Zirkzee is an "ETH-led" signing?

You just know that a signing is gonna turn out quite decent when it's universally panned on the Cafe :lol:

Because Zirkzee is an "ETH-led" signing?
Could very easily be. He's a Dutch player in the Dutch national team. I'm sure ETH is well aware of him. A player doesn't have to have played specifically under ETH for him to want him. Malacia was clearly an ETH signing despite him not actually playing under ETH.

You just know that a signing is gonna turn out quite decent when it's universally panned on the Cafe :lol:
I was very skeptical about this signing until I came here, now I am quietly confident he will do well :lol:

He´s a bit injury prone. But, he is a player than AWB. If we pay 21M and get 15M from AWB. It would be a good business imo. Wan-Bissaka is leaving for free next summer. Mazraoui also can play both sides. Maybe this is a cheap RB/LB signing if and when we have a very limited budget.

Last edited:
Am I right in saying that he was used at Ajax similarly to how Cancelo/Lewis is used at City? RB in a 4-man defence, but can tuck inside next to the CDM to add into midfield.

I suppose its an added dimension.

Don't like this move. I thought the idea was signing better players instead of adding more mediocre ones
The idea seemingly is to buy young, top class players for vital positions, and to strengthen the squad depth with some shrewd signings and some in house youth players. You can call that mediocre, but a squad needs to have different kinds of ‘not world class’ players. Mazraoui at his best is a very good player, mind. Still only 26.

I don't watch a lot of german football, but his stats look excellent. He makes more passes than Dalot or Wan-Bissaka with far greater accuracy, he makes more progressive passes, has more assists, creates more key chances and makes more tackles.

Is it the injury record that is concerning people, or is he just not that good?

Good player by the looks of it.

Of course the injury situation is a genuine concern for people to point out, especially given we don't have a glowing record of getting people fit and keeping them fit.

I don't watch a lot of german football, but his stats look excellent. He makes more passes than Dalot or Wan-Bissaka with far greater accuracy, he makes more progressive passes, has more assists, creates more key chances and makes more tackles.

Is it the injury record that is concerning people, or is he just not that good?
He is definitely better than AWB. My biggest concern is his injury record. I also think Vanderson who we were linked with is a better and younger player, which is another reason I'm not too thrilled with the signing.

The big thing though is he's only an improvement on AWB if he's actually available.

I’m not just referring to this summer. He seems to have been on the market for half of his time here.

I’m not claiming he’s a great right back who’d start for Barcelona or Real Madrid, but I don’t know why they’ve been particularly keen to get rid of him when we have so many other areas to improve
Because he has never been good enough for us. 160m for him, Maguire and James - some serious shit.

Always rated him. Believe people will be surprised by him.

His quality isnt the concern. Its the injury record. Him performing well wont be a suprise the suprise would be if he can be available for 50+ games. I potentially see a right sided Shaw, good quality player but cant be trusted to stay fit.

Could very easily be. He's a Dutch player in the Dutch national team. I'm sure ETH is well aware of him. A player doesn't have to have played specifically under ETH for him to want him. Malacia was clearly an ETH signing despite him not actually playing under ETH.

ETH is probably well aware of most players that are doing well in good teams across the top 5 European leagues. Would Calafiori have been an ETH signing too? If he had a Dutch passport, you would be claiming that.

And I hope ETH wants the players he ends up getting. I don't understand that part. There's this weird obsession with hoping that the club forces a completely different player on ETH than the one he wants, as that presumably somehow makes us a well-run club.

Malacia was different btw. ETH's Ajax played against him several times and he was one of Feyenoord's best players, who are one of Ajax's main rivals. Obviously it was a recommendation from ETH.

I don't think ETH ever met Zirkzee in his life before the United move. The player never played a single minute of Eredivisie football ever, either. It's just the Dutch connection that people like to bring up.

Ten Hag also claimed de Ligt was the club's idea, not his.

I've made a more detailed post about this, Dutch players and the Eredivisie are one of the biggest talent pools in Europe that bigger teams from the top 5 leagues regularly pick from.

ETH is probably well aware of most players that are doing well in good teams across the top 5 European leagues. Would Calafiori have been an ETH signing too? If he had a Dutch passport, you would be claiming that.

And I hope ETH wants the players he gets. I don't understand that part. There's this weird obsession with hoping that the club forces a completely different player on ETH than the one he wants, as that presumably somehow makes us a well-run club.

Malacia was different btw. ETH's Ajax played against him several times and he was one of Feyenoord's best players, who are one of Ajax's main rivals.

I don't think ETH ever met Zirkzee in his life before the United move. The player never played a single minute of Eredivisie football ever, either. It's just the Dutch connection that people like to bring up.

Ten Hag also claimed de Ligt was the club's idea, not his.

I've made a more detailed post about this, Dutch players and the Eredivisie are one of the biggest talent pools in Europe that bigger teams from the top 5 leagues regularly pick from.
Zirkzee situation isn't clear either way. Personally, I think he was probably recommended by ETH. If you think differently that's fine

Just make something up and then state it as a fact. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.