Noussair Mazraoui | has signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
You answered my post to begin with, which adressed a swarm of takes here on the subject, yours not among them. One of the examples claimed it will be ‘irresponsible’ to buy him, and asked wether United staff are not aware of injury records of this and previous buys. That is putting oneself well above the medical professionals who - which I wrote, and I suspect you know and omitted consciously from your answer - contribute with more than medicals. They are obviously conferred with when weighing up a multi million bidding process and negotiation about any player with an easily accessible record of previous injuries.

Having had injuries in the past is - in my understanding at least - not the same as being prone to injuries in the present and future, which is a question of likelihood based on circumstances. It depends on the causes of previous injuries and how they align with the present situation and future demands. Medical experts can assess that with much better precision than counting and common sense.
What exactly is the purpose of your first sentence? Specifically the whole "yours not among them" thing?

The post I responded to featured such jibes as "what qualifications do you guys have?" and "do you have medical degrees?" Essentially being extremely dismissive towards other posters in a weird condescending tone that hit its reductive peak when you summed up all of their points as "what do you know, I've red[sic] transfermarkt and I say he's i jury[sic] prone."

Based off those comments and your aforementioned opener, it doesn't sound as if you're at all interested in discussion on the subject, unless trying to bar people from discussing it in the first place counts.

But if you still think that it is unreasonable to be concerned over the potential signing of a player who has missed 2-6 months of football in five of the last five seasons of his professional career, then that is your prerogative.

And if you want to ignore all points to the contrary, while ironically making weird accusations that people are "consciously omitting" points you never made to them, then you can do that to. Just don't expect them to entertain you any further.

He's barely an upgrade to Wan Bissaka since he's always injured, while AWB is at least consistently fit. Don't understand this transfer.

He's barely an upgrade to Wan Bissaka since he's always injured, while AWB is at least consistently fit. Don't understand this transfer.
Wan-Bissaka missed more games last season due to injury than Mazraoui. Overall Wan-Bissaka’s injury record is better.

Mazraoui is the better player, but I would still not get him.

Hope he can stay off the injury table. No question that on ability terms, he is an upgrade on AWB. Its just the availability issue that is the question mark.

Hope he can stay off the injury table. No question that on ability terms, he is an upgrade on AWB. Its just the availability issue that is the question mark.
His injury record is a little worrying but he’s been injured less than AWB last season

Despite my consternations I'm all for squad depth with personnel that fit the system we want to play.

£21m is the fee being reported

If we sell AWB for £15m, and get him for £21m - with the indication that he'd be on less than the former - then I think its a decent deal. I'm not against keeping AWB as he's a unique (in the sense of we can pick him to just nullify a single player, e.g like Doku in the FA Cup final) - but if Mazraoui fits our future model, then I'm all for it.

If we sell AWB for £15m, and get him for £21m - with the indication that he'd be on less than the former - then I think its a decent deal. I'm not against keeping AWB as he's a unique (in the sense of we can pick him to just nullify a single player, e.g like Doku in the FA Cup final) - but if Mazraoui fits our future model, then I'm all for it.
He's on more at Bayern than AWB is here.

Very weird signing given that he’s injury prone and Bayern fans are happy to be rid of him. I don’t want to write the guy off before he’s even here, but you sometimes have to wonder if we ever learn from our mistakes.

Injury-prone, former Ajax player under Ten Hag, born in the Netherlands and has Dutch-Morrocan dual citizenship. The perfect United signing :smirk:

Plus AWB walks for £0 in 12 months.

When Mazroui sign he can join the injury prone defenders group of Man Utd - Shaw, Malacia, Martinez and Lindelof in the treatment room.

And we wonder why we have injury crisis every year.

Signing a RB when we need to prioritize midfield and central defense, albeit for another player who played for ETH, who is also injury prone doesnt fill me with confidence at all. A loan with obligation to buy should he play a certain number of games would have been better. He will need time to adapt to the league as well.

Last edited:
Same

But I wonder why United are so keen to sell him. Maybe there’s something we don’t know about
We are selling AWB and getting a new guy for pretty much the same money.

Why is it so hard to understand? You can either let him run his contract down and pay same amount of money next year for another right back or replace him with the money we get from his sales. We aren't renewing AWB.

Signing a RB when we need to prioritize midfield and central defense, albeit for another player who played for ETH, who is also injury prone doesnt fill me with confidence at all. A loan with obligation to buy should he play a certain number of games would have been better. He will need time to adapt to the league as well.

Part of the benefit is that he can play LB as well isnt it? And we cant keep playing Dalot in every game if AWB leaves

Part of the benefit is that he can play LB as well isnt it? And we cant keep playing Dalot in every game if AWB leaves
No point even if he is versatile enough to play across the entire back line if he cant stay fit.

If he is already injury prone before coming to Man Utd, he will be 2 or 3 times worse here given our poor records of managing injuries.

No point even if he is versatile enough to play across the entire back line if he cant stay fit.

Well, was he a backup player at Bayern as well? If not, they tend to get less injuries

I really don't want this guy. Also, we shouldn't be paying a penny more than West Ham had agreed to pay. Only acceptable reason is if like Zirkzee, we have chosen to pay a slightly bigger overall fee in exchange for better payment terms. Otherwise, poor.

He won't be relied upon as much as Bayern where we already have clear cut first choices at his position

We are selling AWB and getting a new guy for pretty much the same money.

Why is it so hard to understand? You can either let him run his contract down and pay same amount of money next year for another right back or replace him with the money we get from his sales. We aren't renewing AWB.
I’m not just referring to this summer. He seems to have been on the market for half of his time here.

I’m not claiming he’s a great right back who’d start for Barcelona or Real Madrid, but I don’t know why they’ve been particularly keen to get rid of him when we have so many other areas to improve

Was hoping we'd move away from ETH-led signings. Aside from Yoro that hasn't seemed to be the case unfortunately. Looks like this one is just a matter of time. I don't see this being a success and expect he'll be injured for much of the season, but at this stage can probably just hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.