Noussair Mazraoui | has signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's called inductive reasoning. I have no qualifications as an astronomer, but I know that the sun will probably come up tomorrow morning because it has done so for a number of consecutive mornings.

It is perfectly fair and reasonable to see a danger in signing a player who has missed 2-6 months of every season for the last half a decade.

Mazraoui is a good player, and the whole reason that he'll cost so little is that the people with access to more than just lists know that he is a player with frequent injury concerns. They may even feel the lower price is worth the risk. And others may disagree with that assessment in light of our problems in similar circumstances and off the back of last season. No medical degree is required to have an opinion based on available facts.

David Hume is that you?

It's called inductive reasoning. I have no qualifications as an astronomer, but I know that the sun will probably come up tomorrow morning because it has done so for a number of consecutive mornings.

It is perfectly fair and reasonable to see a danger in signing a player who has missed 2-6 months of every season for the last half a decade.

Mazraoui is a good player, and the whole reason that he'll cost so little is that the people with access to more than just lists know that he is a player with frequent injury concerns. They may even feel the lower price is worth the risk. And others may disagree with that assessment in light of our problems in similar circumstances and off the back of last season. No medical degree is required to have an opinion based on available facts.
Astronomers also depend on inductive reasoning. The difference between me and an astronomer is that when an astronomer says to me there’s gonna be an eclipse tomorrow, I’m not gonna tell him he’s full of shit because I’ve seen a thousand sunrises and know inductive reasoning.

Release him then

a- It would look horrible from a PR perspective as it mean kicking him out of the club when he's injured with no place for him to get fit again.
b- we would still have to pay the remainder of his salary
c- he might turn things around in the end

You're right in the sense that if we go on and buy him, Ineos and the medical department will probably be confident they can fix him...but just on the information available on this issue, he does seem a bit injury prone.
Which is a dwindling proportion of the relevant information, is my point.

Was he injury prone at Ajax too?

Think there's something in the idea that ETH just doesnt comprehend injury prone players. We saw that right out the gate when his first season preferred eleven was built around Martial. And the continual false hope that Shaw will ever cope with even playing 1 game a week.

:+1:

What qualification do you guys have in order to assess someone’s injury-proneness? Do you just read injury listings on transfermarkt, or do you have medical degrees? Because I know we have professional medics and physios with lots of experience assessing football injuries, and the lista on transfermarkt I’m sure is the uttermost basic stuff for them.

Are
They gone say - no, he’s no more i jury prone rhan the next man, and you’re gonna say ‘what do you know, I’ve red transfermarkt and I say he’s i jury prone.
I see posts like this every summer.

"If this player's actually injury prone, the medical staff won't clear him to sign!"

Lo and behold, the player signs and ends up being injury prone for us.

Astronomers also depend on inductive reasoning. The difference between me and an astronomer is that when an astronomer says to me there’s gonna be an eclipse tomorrow, I’m not gonna tell him he’s full of shit because I’ve seen a thousand sunrises and know inductive reasoning.
You are, of course, free to point people in the direction of the qualified expert who will provide solid reasoning behind why Mazraoui's persistent injury problems over the last five years are a freak occurrence that won't be repeated. If a load of people then go on to tell them that they're "full of shit," your initial post will look a lot better. Prophetic, even.

Or is your point the more general, "You don't have X qualification, therefore anything you say on this topic is invalid"? Because if that is the case, I would like to see which qualifications you have to validate your use of the English language, your engagement in debates, and your assessment of anything related to football before we continue this discussion.

His record doesnt say prone, he has had injuries but there are gaps of 6 or 7 months between a few of them so as I said injury prone is an over-statement.
How many games did he miss due to injury last season?

You are, of course, free to point people in the direction of the qualified expert who will provide solid reasoning behind why Mazraoui's persistent injury problems over the last five years are a freak occurrence that won't be repeated. If a load of people then go on to tell them that they're "full of shit," your initial post will look a lot better. Prophetic, even.

Or is your point the more general, "You don't have X qualification, therefore anything you say on this topic is invalid"? Because if that is the case, I would like to see which qualifications you have to validate your use of the English language, your engagement in debates, and your assessment of anything related to football before we continue this discussion.

Riccardo Calafiori's injury record is worse yet it didnt stop Arsenal from snapping him up and Calafiori is going to be a big part of Arsenal's side where as Mazroaui will only be a back-up for us and if managed correctly by the medical staff should be fine.

How many games did he miss due to injury last season?

1 game in October due to "muscular problems"
1 game in November due to illness
2 games in December due to "Torn muscle bundle"
5 games in February and March due to "Torn muscle fiber"

9 games out of 49 club games. 18.36% of Bayern's matches last season.

Yet he only starts 22 of the 49 matches last season. Or 45%. :confused:

Because he's not a nailed-on starter for Bayern. He wouldn't be one at United either, unless he displaces Dalot with some great performances, which would be great. He also went to AFCON in January.

The medical experts in question are hired by Man United, I’m sure you are aware. Gary O’Driscoll and the cree he is in theprocess of establishing. If they give the green light on the pursuit of the player in the initial phases, and then in the medical tests, it’s not because they think he has a high likelihood of getting injured again.

There is of course a huge palette of colours between ‘Saying nothing on a topic’ and concluding that player x is in fact injury prone and United (including their medical experts) will be stupid to buy him.

The medical experts in question are hired by Man United, I’m sure you are aware. Gary O’Driscoll and the cree he is in theprocess of establishing. If they give the green light on the pursuit of the player in the initial phases, and then in the medical tests, it’s not because they think he has a high likelihood of getting injured again.

There is of course a huge palette of colours between ‘Saying nothing on a topic’ and concluding that player x is in fact injury prone and United (including their medical experts) will be stupid to buy him.
This is like saying we shouldn't talk about the merits of players as we're not qualified scouts and we have professionals at the club to do that! You realise this is an internet forum, where people give their opinion on things?

Riccardo Calafiori's injury record is worse yet it didnt stop Arsenal from snapping him up and Calafiori is going to be a big part of Arsenal's side where as Mazroaui will only be a back-up for us and if managed correctly by the medical staff should be fine.
You seem to have ignored my previous point. Arsenal had a steady defence last season. We did not. That is why you cannot compare the 2 situations. It will be a bad signing for us based on his previous years record. Arsenal on the other hand can afford to take a chance

And there is, of course, a huge palette of colours between seeing a player who has spent plenty of the last 5 years injured and subsequently being concerned about signing that player, and saying United's staff must be "full of shit" and don't know what they're doing.

In any case, medicals aren't really there to asses how prone a player is to injury. The most common cause of failure is actually the discovery of underlying heart issues, followed by injuries that were previously undisclosed by the selling club. There is a reason players pass them almost all the time.

The fact that Mazraoui has been prone to injury doesn't need confirmation from a physician. It's already happened and a judgement has already been made off the back of it - namely that he's available at a knockdown price due to him being a gamble for any buyer.

It is perfectly reasonable for people to dispute the merits of that gamble based on the history of the player, particularly in light of the injury concerns United have had in the recent past. But we're really just talking about common sense now, aren't we?

Ok so we can disregard your opinion on anything you write then since you’re not an expert

I see posts like this every summer.

"If this player's actually injury prone, the medical staff won't clear him to sign!"

Lo and behold, the player signs and ends up being injury prone for us.
Which players did that apply to? I can only think of Varane and he was hardly getting injured in the years before joining, maybe Mount too but most of the complaints were about his suitability.

Unfortunately, most of our injury-prone players became so after joining the club.

What qualification do you guys have in order to assess someone’s injury-proneness? Do you just read injury listings on transfermarkt, or do you have medical degrees? Because I know we have professional medics and physios with lots of experience assessing football injuries, and the lista on transfermarkt I’m sure is the uttermost basic stuff for them.

Are
They gone say - no, he’s no more i jury prone rhan the next man, and you’re gonna say ‘what do you know, I’ve red transfermarkt and I say he’s i jury prone.
Not sure why your quoting me with your reply, I simply posted some of his injury record as people were discussing it, you don't need a medical degree to look up a players injury stats.

I offered no opinion on his injury proneness of whether he should be signed or not. Did someone at transfermarkt shit in your handbag or something?

Another crock at full back is the very last thing this squad needs right now. And he is a crock. Signing him would be negligent. I'd rather keep AWB.

This is like saying we shouldn't talk about the merits of players as we're not qualified scouts and we have professionals at the club to do that! You realise this is an internet forum, where people give their opinion on things?

Please read again the second paragraph of the post you answered.

Ok so we can disregard your opinion on anything you write then since you’re not an expert
You too - read what you answer. It explicitly said that there are many possibilities between ‘saying nothing’, an extreme and frankly ludicrous position, and stating things as blatant and indisputable facts based on weak knowledge, and often even ridiculing other positions based on this weak and insufficient knowledge, which is what I’m adressing.

Not sure why your quoting me with your reply, I simply posted some of his injury record as people were discussing it, you don't need a medical degree to look up a players injury stats.

I offered no opinion on his injury proneness of whether he should be signed or not. Did someone at transfermarkt shit in your handbag or something?
Sorry, not aimed at you specifically, more about the mass movement of posts it appeared in amongst. I should have clarified better.

You too - read what you answer. It explicitly said that there are many possibilities between ‘saying nothing’, an extreme and frankly ludicrous position, and stating things as blatant and indisputable facts based on weak knowledge, and often even ridiculing other positions based on this weak and insufficient knowledge, which is what I’m adressing.
Personally off the opinion that as fans talking on a forum board, there is enough evidence in his injury history over a number of years to conclude that he is prone to picking up injuries. Its logical for fans to conclude that he would not be a good buy for United having just finished a season where we had 2 left backs out all season and an ever changing set of centre backs due to injury. Why would we want to buy another to sit in the medical room for half a season?

What’s this guy like defending? Or is he more of an attacking FB?

Same

But I wonder why United are so keen to sell him. Maybe there’s something we don’t know about
I can't comment on Mazaroui but I know why we want rid of AWB. He's too limited, not good enough and a chance to get some return for him

And there is, of course, a huge palette of colours between seeing a player who has spent plenty of the last 5 years injured and subsequently being concerned about signing that player, and saying United's staff must be "full of shit" and don't know what they're doing.

In any case, medicals aren't really there to asses how prone a player is to injury. The most common cause of failure is actually the discovery of underlying heart issues, followed by injuries that were previously undisclosed by the selling club. There is a reason players pass them almost all the time.

The fact that Mazraoui has been prone to injury doesn't need confirmation from a physician. It's already happened and a judgement has already been made off the back of it - namely that he's available at a knockdown price due to him being a gamble for any buyer.

It is perfectly reasonable for people to dispute the merits of that gamble based on the history of the player, particularly in light of the injury concerns United have had in the recent past. But we're really just talking about common sense now, aren't we?
You answered my post to begin with, which adressed a swarm of takes here on the subject, yours not among them. One of the examples claimed it will be ‘irresponsible’ to buy him, and asked wether United staff are not aware of injury records of this and previous buys. That is putting oneself well above the medical professionals who - which I wrote, and I suspect you know and omitted consciously from your answer - contribute with more than medicals. They are obviously conferred with when weighing up a multi million bidding process and negotiation about any player with an easily accessible record of previous injuries.

Having had injuries in the past is - in my understanding at least - not the same as being prone to injuries in the present and future, which is a question of likelihood based on circumstances. It depends on the causes of previous injuries and how they align with the present situation and future demands. Medical experts can assess that with much better precision than counting and common sense.

This one doesn't get me excited BUT if we had to sell AWB because we want to raise funds rather than lose him on a free, then I am open to the signing of Mazaroui providing the difference we pay for him isn't too much more than what we sell AWB for! Dalot is clearly the number 1 RB, so I doubt we want to go big on a RB...

Status
Not open for further replies.