Non-televised academy matches | Newcastle vs U21s | Sat 26 Oct

FT

3-4 (Mantato x2, Munro, Thwaites)
Nice, thanks for updates.

From the occasional game I get to watch (and highlights), the youth teams look like they want to make forward passes (not rushed and for the sake of it, but still forward)… but don’t see that in the first team, way too much side to side and caution.

Odd.

The U16s beat Sunderland 6-0. Louie Bradbury hat trick, Bassirou Nkoto brace and Edward Ibrovic-Fletcher one goal + one assist.

Looks like a two horses race this season in the U18s league between us and Derby. Will not play against them until January.

Noticed Scanlon was absent for the U18s this weekend, eithe rested after the international break or with the U21s I imagine. Could be travelling with the U19s to Lithuania though.

FK Žalgiris vs U19s New
I still haven’t seen the full UYL squad, but according to UEFA these are the 20 players who are in the squad today.

Murdock
Byrne-Hughes

Jackson
Fredricson
Munro
Kamason
Kukonki
Armer

J. Fletcher
T. Fletcher
Scanlon
McAllister
Fitzgerald
Devaney
Baumann

Williams
Missin
Lacey
Musa
Biancheri

Anyone able to tell me the set up for the youth league now? Obviously we didn't qualify for the champions league so how are we in the youth league? Also after going onto the youth league site I can see we're not in the group stages but the domestic champions path, is this the same competition as the group stage teams?

Anyone able to tell me the set up for the youth league now? Obviously we didn't qualify for the champions league so how are we in the youth league? Also after going onto the youth league site I can see we're not in the group stages but the domestic champions path, is this the same competition as the group stage teams?
Yes it's the same competition but different routes that meet later on.
We qualified as domestic champions for academy so we are in a knock out phase route.

So Jackson, Fredricson and Williams are three overaged players out of the possible five.
Does Williams count as overage? I thought this was for U19's and he's still 18 until November? Are the rules strict about players having to be born before a certain date so they don't turn 19 during the run of the competition or something?

Does no Amass and Wheatley suggest they'll be travelling with the first team as back up or are they injured? They'd have got a lot out of this different type of experience.

Does Williams count as overage? I thought this was for U19's and he's still 18 until November? Are the rules strict about players having to be born before a certain date so they don't turn 19 during the run of the competition or something?

The competition this season is for players born on or after 1 January 2006. Five players born on or after 1 January 2005 allowed. Williams was born on November 2005.

The competition this season is for players born on or after 1 January 2006. Five players born on or after 1 January 2005 allowed. Williams was born on November 2005.
Thanks. So, yeah, even players currently 18 will count as overage because they'll turn 19 during the run of the competition. I hadn't realised that. I can see why they allow as many as 5 players born in 2005 as otherwise that's tough on those still aged 18 / just 19 missing out on vital experience.

Starting XI:

Murdock; Kamson, Fredricson (c), Jackson, Kukoni; Devaney, Fitzgerald; Missin, J. Fletcher, Williams; Biancheri

Subs:
Byrne-Hughes, T. Fletcher, Scanlon, McAllister, Lacey, Musa, Munro, Baumann, Armer

Do other clubs conveniently clash with restrictions as often as we do?

It seems we go out of our way to schedule matches to clash with other matches.

10/17 UYL Domestic Champions Path matches tonight clash with UCL. Teams in this path don’t really care about UCL as their first team doesn’t participate in it. So they can choose to play their home matches at any time they like.

In general though, yeah I agree.

Last edited: