NHL 2024/2025

I'll take that game 1 win and run with it. Very solid game from the Oilers, they matched the Stars through all the lines and were probably the better team. Yet again though they gave up soft goals, stop them and things it would make things easier for themselves. Mcleod and now Kulak turning over the puck in the D zone isn't good, doing in the regular season isn't great, but over time you can even it out, in play off hockey it can be the end of the season.

McDavid still looks like he's playing hurt, his stickhandling and puck control becomes human as it is right now. However, he's that good you can't cheap on him even if he's not 100% and thankfully tonight he scored an ordinary goal to win the game, no need to skate past all the team, wrap aound the net, beat the team and roof it. A simple tap in double OT..

Dallas in Game 1s this year: 0-3. Maybe they have the Oilers where they want them. :lol:

If I'm right the win against the Kings in the first round and now this one is something like 2-8 first game wins for the Oilers. Neither are excellent starters. If we are taking that Kings round as a indicator then it's the Oilers in 5 :D

Both series down to a best of 3, the Oilers did to Dallas what they'd done to them in the previous game. Over on a Oilers forum I'm on I pointed a finger at Knoblauch for a couple of errors he made in my opinion, which I felt helped contribute to the defeat, I've got nothing but praise for him today for his decision to swith the starting roster up last night. He's not been in the NHL for a full season, but his body of work has been impressive and whilst I might have pointed out errors, neither of them were down to inexperience, any other coach may have called the same.

Tanev's departure from the game last night may have a big impact on the series, I'm not a huge fan of his game, but he has stepped up in Dallas and had been doing a good job. They've not got a lot of depth in the back end, and this could stretch them a lot. Huge game from Connor Brown, probably his best as an Oiler, which bodes well.

I like this matchup in the finals!
I hope McDavid lifts the trophy. The best player in the league for quite some time now - he deserves it.

I like this matchup in the finals!
I hope McDavid lifts the trophy. The best player in the league for quite some time now - he deserves it.

Yeah I hope he finishes the job quickly, getting the cup once is a huge task and I was happy when Sid got his fairly early on because it just stops all of the tiresome "will he/won't he" narratives every year.

Got to go with my Oilers of course, I'm going to say in 6 so we can win it on home ice. I'd prefer a sweep, but that's not going to happen.

Gotta pull for Edmonton with all of Canada's weight on their shoulders. Don't feck this up, drama! End the 31 years of misery!

For Dallas to go any further they need to find a legit, top tier offensive threat to team up with Robertson et al.

Gotta pull for Edmonton with all of Canada's weight on their shoulders. Don't feck this up, drama! End the 31 years of misery!

For Dallas to go any further they need to find a legit, top tier offensive threat to team up with Robertson et al.

Mantha is someone who is going to be underpaid going into next year I think but he would definitely be a good fit on the Stars.

Being a Jets fan then I'm not a big fan of the Oilers but rather they win it and bring the cup to Canada than the Panthers.
Only good thing about Panthers winning the cup would be for Maurice to finally win it.

It’s a bit depressing watching the SCF knowing how far away the Habs are from getting to that level.

Nurse and Ceci are getting it in the neck from the Oilers fans, the pair were on the ice for the first 2 goals, I'd like to see them split up, I'm not sure they are in need of benching. Hyman could have altered the game with the first chance and better D on the first goal. That said though, the difference in this game was Bobrovsky. At the end of the second I'd have taken a loss as long as we scored, however he becomes a story with the shut out and if we don't score early in game 2 gets into the Oilers heads.

I didn't think there was much between the two teams last night, I don't think Skinner can be called on either of the 2 goals on him. Still think the Oilers in 6, no need to panic the cup isn't handed out after one game.

Panthers gonna sweep or will the Oilers go off in game 4 like the Mavs did against Boston?

It was good to see the Tkachuk family leave mid way through the 3rd period tonight to catch the flight down to Florida....

The Oilers have looked well below the level they can play till this game, I think that charge to get back up towards the top of the standing took an awful lot out of them, and they have been getting slower and slower with each game in the play-offs till this one. So many things being quoted about the reverse sweep, like the last one was in 42 and now it's 24 or the Oilers won 4 straight games 7 times this season off the back of 3 straight losses. I didn't buy into any of it and still don't.

What mattered was the Oilers stood up and played with pride to not be swept, to win a game at home for the fans and show all those who have been bad mouthing them since the start of the final that we aren't a terrible side. It's next to impossible that we can win it from here, but let's take this win to Florida and see what we can do. The only down side of tonight was Drai couldn't get on the scoresheet, McDavid scored and so did the PP, so two out of 3 weapons are kicking back to life.

@WeePat

Do you have a take on the Habs's draft?

I like the way Demidov is described, he is supposed to play on both sides of the puck and is allegedly bigger than anticipated. Lindstrom and Iginla are supposed to have a physical game which is always a positive but playmaking isn't a strength and then among forwards I love what I have seen from Catton, he seems to be creative and fast.

It's 3-2 now!!! It's still do or die for the Oilers, but that game 5 by McDavid :eek: I haven't witnessed a player do that sort of thing since Keano against Juve. He's put the team on his back including Drai and won us the game.

Gretzky is the goat, Mario was a better hockey player, but his body couldn't take the workload. McDavid is better than both, I don't think I've seen a better player, I don't think the NHL has. Winning the cup will put him right up at the top, but even if he doesn't he's still at the top.

Do or die for the Panthers in the next game I think. If Oilers manage to make it 3-3 then I think they will complete the epic turnaround.

@WeePat

Do you have a take on the Habs's draft?

I like the way Demidov is described, he is supposed to play on both sides of the puck and is allegedly bigger than anticipated. Lindstrom and Iginla are supposed to have a physical game which is always a positive but playmaking isn't a strength and then among forwards I love what I have seen from Catton, he seems to be creative and fast.

I don't know too much about the prospects this year in all honesty, but Demidov does indeed sound the most interesting one out of them all, aside from Celebrini. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like he'll be available at 5 and most mocks appear to have us picking either Lindstrom or Iginla.

It's 3-2 now!!! It's still do or die for the Oilers, but that game 5 by McDavid :eek: I haven't witnessed a player do that sort of thing since Keano against Juve. He's put the team on his back including Drai and won us the game.

Gretzky is the goat, Mario was a better hockey player, but his body couldn't take the workload. McDavid is better than both, I don't think I've seen a better player, I don't think the NHL has. Winning the cup will put him right up at the top, but even if he doesn't he's still at the top.

McDavid has a long, long way to go before he can be considered in the same sentence as Gretzky.

Still worth a flyer for Kuemper's awful deal though, its not like his point production has been horrible, he has obvious weaknesses but get him on the right line balance and he could be really good for Washington.

40 points in 82 games for a 8.5m cap hit is beyond horrible and his best seasons are also underwhelming for that kind of price because he isn't really a defensive forward. Now I do agree with the idea that under the right circumstances he could be good enough for someone.

McDavid has a long, long way to go before he can be considered in the same sentence as Gretzky.

I don't to be honest, If and it's a big if he wins this cup I think he goes into the fashionable phrase of late the Rushmore of hockey. He's certainly a better hockey player than Gretz and quicker and stronger. Put him in that era and he'd be putting up Gretz type numbers. I'm sure that Gretz in this era would be producing similar numbers to McDavid.

When I say a better player, I think we can all see the skills and speed of both feet and hands, but this isn't to say Gretz isn't the GOAT, he is and is for very good reasons.

I don't to be honest, If and it's a big if he wins this cup I think he goes into the fashionable phrase of late the Rushmore of hockey. He's certainly a better hockey player than Gretz and quicker and stronger. Put him in that era and he'd be putting up Gretz type numbers. I'm sure that Gretz in this era would be producing similar numbers to McDavid.

When I say a better player, I think we can all see the skills and speed of both feet and hands, but this isn't to say Gretz isn't the GOAT, he is and is for very good reasons.

Eras are irrelevant for comparison. The gap between Gretzky and next best in his era is FAR bigger than the gap between mcdavid and even Crosby. If mcdavid keeps this up, wins a few cups and gets in top 10 all time scoring (he should with ease) then it becomes an actual argument over who the GOAT is which is incredible because Gretzky is arguably the most unanimous GOAT in chosen sport after Michael phelps.

Whatever happens tonight, I hope he gets a few goals and assists to break Gretzky's records for playoff points and SCF points.

We can all agree on the fact that McDavid is as exceptional as it gets in Sport but his greatness shouldn't make us forget that Draisaitl exists, that one is also a joy to watch.

40 points in 82 games for a 8.5m cap hit is beyond horrible and his best seasons are also underwhelming for that kind of price because he isn't really a defensive forward. Now I do agree with the idea that under the right circumstances he could be good enough for someone.

Dubois' head is his problem, that will be 4 teams in 2 1/2 years then.
One of the best trades ever by Chevy getting Vilardi, Iafallo, Kupari and a 2nd rounder for him!

Eras are irrelevant for comparison. The gap between Gretzky and next best in his era is FAR bigger than the gap between mcdavid and even Crosby. If mcdavid keeps this up, wins a few cups and gets in top 10 all time scoring (he should with ease) then it becomes an actual argument over who the GOAT is which is incredible because Gretzky is arguably the most unanimous GOAT in chosen sport after Michael phelps.

Didn't I say Gretz was the GOAT? I haven't said otherwise, what I've said is that McDavid will join Gretz, Mario and others at the top, but as a player he's better than both Mario and Gretz. That isn't saying he's the GOAT. He could get very close to becoming the GOAT, but that doesn't stop him being the greatest player we've seen.

That being said last night was the first time in his NHL career that the Oilers have won a game when he's not registered a shot on goal, the fact he didn't score a point either was for me the best thing about the win. Drai looked a little better in the first period, but dropped slightly in the next two. Yet, after going 0-3 down the talk was McDavid would have to start scoring and assisting to drag the Oilers all the way back. I posted on X after the game, that the Panthers will be looking at each other and be thinking we've just been beaten 5-1 and McDavid didn't even score and he needs 5 points to tie the record with one game to play...

Didn't I say Gretz was the GOAT? I haven't said otherwise, what I've said is that McDavid will join Gretz, Mario and others at the top, but as a player he's better than both Mario and Gretz. That isn't saying he's the GOAT. He could get very close to becoming the GOAT, but that doesn't stop him being the greatest player we've seen.

That being said last night was the first time in his NHL career that the Oilers have won a game when he's not registered a shot on goal, the fact he didn't score a point either was for me the best thing about the win. Drai looked a little better in the first period, but dropped slightly in the next two. Yet, after going 0-3 down the talk was McDavid would have to start scoring and assisting to drag the Oilers all the way back. I posted on X after the game, that the Panthers will be looking at each other and be thinking we've just been beaten 5-1 and McDavid didn't even score and he needs 5 points to tie the record with one game to play...
Congrats on the comeback! What a story. :) Good luck on Sunday!

what is the difference between GOAT and greatest player we’ve seen?

what is the difference between GOAT and greatest player we’ve seen?
I think it's down to what they won, what impact on the game, etc. Gretzky took hockey to the sunshine belt, won loads, would have won more except for Pocklington. He changed the game, the way it was played and inspired a generation of players from outside of the traditional hockey hotbeds. McDavid is changing the game right now, we'll see a generation of speedsters coming through with quick hands. He's not had a chance on the international stage as a senior, but that will come and to date he's not won the biggest prize of all.

However, in terms of playing wise, Prime Gretzky v Prime McDavid, I think it's obvious McDavid is quicker, quicker hands, can read the ice as well as Gretzky and finds impossible passes as well as Gretz could. The only thing that Gretz's has above McDavid is probably his shooting. I've seen both play in the flesh and in the prime and I know who I see as the better player. That's not trying to dump on Gretzky, I was in awe of what he did not only in Edmonton, but right up to the end of his career and didn't or couldn't believe I'd ever see anyone challenge his status, but here we are.