New season optimism

In recent years, despite who we sign I’ve found myself flat. Just fed up with the state of the club, how we’ve seemingly mismanaged transfers, contracts, the stadium in a state of disrepair. Just the whole package generally made me concede that we just weren’t an elite team/club

this summer just feels different. I am feeling very positive about the future. Not just the rumours to Branthwaite, Yoro, DeLigt, Ugarte and Zirkzee….but the sense that we seem capable of handling multiple transfers.
we'll end up signing none of them

not just those coming in but I am also optimistic about the leavers. There seems to be a lot of noise of people that shouldn’t be at the club and dont appear likely to be for much longer.
they will all end up staying

the commitment to investing heavily at Carrington
that money should be going towards the new stadium

the speculation of a new stadium
its never gonna happen

the completely restructure of the back staff and importantly having people who know and understand the role and have a wealth of experience
will be completely the same

truly exciting times comparable to the previous 10 years.
i doubt it

I just desperately hope we win our first game to keep this positive bounce I’m feeling
we'll lose

good times again
we say that every year

This won’t age well, especially the we won’t sign any of them and the new stadium bit. Ineos will bring success but it won’t happen over night.

Can’t wait for the start of the new season! Always look forward to it.

IF we can avoid the same injury crisis in defence then we will do much better this year and can see us finishing a good third. I just hope we finally start to see a cohesive team week in week out and I think INEOS will demand that, they’ll not allow the same rubbish as last season.

We have a strong first 11, we need a new CDM as we can’t rely on Casemiro any more and we could do with shifting some bench players and replacing with stronger players.

………………………………………..Onana (Vitek)
Dalot (AWB)…Yoro (Lindelof)….Martinez (Maguire)…Shaw (Malacia)
…………………..…CDM (Casemiro)…….Mainoo (McTominay)
…………….…………………………Bruno (Mount)
Amad (Antony)…………...Hojlund (Zirkzee)………..Garnacho (Rashford)

We 100% need a CDM, if we can move on any more players then a RB, LB, CB, CDM/CM, CF would be nice as well!

Last edited:
This won’t age well, especially the we won’t sign any of them and the new stadium bit. Ineos will bring success but it won’t happen over night.
That is ok, as long as it happens overnight, I think we are ok if it happens over an afternoon, and not over a night

I simply want to see a defined style of play being implemented. Rest of the pieces will fall into place if ETH is able to do that as I think the squad is not as bad as it is made out.

The first XI:

Onana
Dalot Yoro Martinez Shaw
Casemiro Mainoo
Bruno
Garnacho Zirkzee Rashford
Is good and should be able to play some decent football. Then we have Amad, Mount, Hojlund, £85m manager's choice, Maguire, McTom etc. as good back-up players.

Last edited:
Currently this is how the squad* is looking...being realistic at best it's a Top 4 challenger IF the starting 11 can stay fit for most games.

But that midfield is still one that is very much allergic to possession based football, so anyone expecting EtH to completely revolutionise they way the team plays should prepare themselves to be disappointed.

Luckily the team was so bad last season that it would be some achievement to be worst this season.

-----------------Hojlund
----------------(Zirkzee)
Rashford----------------Garnacho
(Sancho)------------------(Amad)
------------------Bruno
-----------------(Mount)
-----Mainoo-------------Casemiro
----(Eriksen)------------(McTom)

Shaw----Martinez------Yoro------Dalot
( ??? )---(Lindelof)-(Maguire)-(AWB)
-------------(Evans)

*Still plenty of time to make additions to the squad.

Front 4 has some young talent and the starting defence looks okay, but if we don't move out McTominay, AWB and Lindelof for the 45M or so you'd figure they're worth and Casemiro and Sancho to get off their wages and sign 2 defenders (one of each foot) and 2 deeper lying midfielders, it's tough to see us being particularly good.

Still a lot of work to do.

I keep seeing this but surely it will be a case of players being back who can play possession, not ETH choosing to play the direct football from last season?

Some people seem so set on being right that this manager isn’t good, if we do well are you going to praise Ineos for coaching and tactics or something?

?? It' hard to be optimist when your team getting pounded 20 shots per game, even against mid-table opponents.

Cautiously optimistic as things stand right now. Looking forward to see how the young players will perform, will be interesting to see how Amad does having a hopefully injury free season and a run of games.

Optimism will rise if we get a proper defensive mid and another centre back. Can’t rely on Casemiro.

I'm optimistic but purely because of the upper management changes. I'm not expecting this season to be a raging success, especially with the cheats still free to do as they please. But I am confident that positive change has begun with the structural changes, and that in time we will see positive changes on the pitch.

Looking at how we fail last season, I have lowered my expectation on ETH and the squad. Even if we finished 5-8th, it is fine with me. I am excited with the young players that we bought but I don't expect results to improve. We are going to leak goals once injuries hit us as there is little motivation to improve. Setting a low bar will help improve my mental health with United.

I think
I simply want to see a defined style of play being implemented. Rest of the pieces will fall into place if ETH is able to do that as I think the squad is not as bad as it is made out.

The first XI:

Onana
Dalot Yoro Martinez Shaw
Casemiro Mainoo
Is good and should be able to play some decent football. Then we have Amad, Mount, Hojlund, £85m manager's choice, Maguire, McTom etc. as good back-up players.

I think you missed Bruno?

The first XI:

Onana
Dalot Yoro Martinez Shaw
Casemiro Mainoo
Bruno
Added Bruno, guessing you missed him. Honestly seeing Case as a starter is depressing, his ability has dropped off a cliff and doesn't look like he'll ever get back to his best. We HAVE to get a starter to replace him if we want to have any chance at a decent season. Ideally a combative midfielder that compliments Mainoo.

Without that centre mid of energy, positional sense, and calm control of tempo, we are still going into the new season horribly light in the middle.

I think

I think you missed Bruno?

Added Bruno, guessing you missed him. Honestly seeing Case as a starter is depressing, his ability has dropped off a cliff and doesn't look like he'll ever get back to his best. We HAVE to get a starter to replace him if we want to have any chance at a decent season. Ideally a combative midfielder that compliments Mainoo.
Yeah, missed Bruno. Thanks guys.

I think we'll definitely get a starter, whether its Ugarte (think it'll be him) or Zubemendi or someone else. Casemiro could be useful if he is played as a sitter in front of the defense. He'd look terrible if asked to the do the job he was given last season.

We'll get a LB too. Remains to be seen if it'll be a starter or another temporary solution.

I am pretty confident on those two.

I'm quietly optimistic tbh, really keeping my powder dry as we have been here before many times.

Does feel a little different given the higher levels of competency we're seeing in the operation side of things.

Does that translate onto the pitch? Time will tell.

?? It' hard to be optimist when your team getting pounded 20 shots per game, even against mid-table opponents.
Hence the first paragraph? We won’t setup the same way when everyone is back, surely you understand that point?

I'm not sure how I can be optimistic based on what I saw last season and although I think our signings are exciting, I'm not sure they strengthen the team in the short term. The only difference from last season is that we have Yoro instead of Varane (and I doubt he is better than Varane right now) and Zirkzee instead of Martial, which - to be fair - should be a little step up. Our midfield is really weak and right now even weaker than last season. We don't have a left-back in play right now either. My take is that people have some blind fate in Erik ten Hag. I'm not saying he will fail for sure, but I don't see him turning this around based on what I have seen of him. Sure, Ineos has done some good things, but as a team for the season 25/26, I'm doubtful we will make that much noise in the league. I say 5-8 in the league right now which is obviously a failure. However, I agree things are looking good for United in the long term.

Last edited:
OPtimistic club is moving in the right direction, not so optimistic short term. Zirkzee is second choice, Yoro is a great signing but will he be better short term than Varane (less injured of course). Bar the injury situation we are as things stand no stronger than the side that finished 8th last year.

Sure there may be mor outgoings (about bloody time) and incomings, but until that has happened...team that came 8th and was dreadful isnt going to suddenly fly....there is still a possibility Ten Hag out comes within the first couple of months.

It is going to take a season or so to progress, but I like what the recruitment team are looking to do inward and outward

The first XI:

Onana
Dalot Yoro Martinez Shaw
Casemiro Mainoo
Bruno
If this is our starting 11 come the start of the league my optimism will erode.

Defence:
Our first-choice defence is world class in my opinion. Dalot is brilliant both technically and athletically. Yoro seems very promising, but I think it's a big ask to be the first-choice CB at 18 in the Premier League, no matter his talent; personally, I'd love to see De Ligt brought in for a stronger first-choice option to rotate. Shaw is world class, but we know his injury problems and with Malacia out, we would be lacking severely when Shaw picks up his inevitable spell out.

Summary - It's a very strong first selection; however, injuries will quickly bring back unsuited players and the same issues as last season.

Midfield:
Casa is, at best, a great squad rotation option, but we have already seen that this midfield doesn't work, and he doesn't have the legs to cover the spaces. I wouldn't mind seeing him stay, but it has to be part of a rotation alongside a new, more mobile midfielder. I'd hope and expect that Mainoo continues his physical development, but if he's injured for any spell, we currently have absolutely no quality to call upon. Bruno ended the season magnificently, and I've long been of the opinion he shouldn't be moved on unless it's for a huge fee where we can sign a worthy successor. The wild card is Mason Mount, who didn't build any momentum last season. While I'm not his biggest fan, I think he's a decent player who can contribute meaningfully over the course of the season if he can put injuries behind him.

Summary—Our midfield, in its current state, has proven to be lacking relative to our rivals. If we don't recruit at least one midfielder, I suspect the same issues will be present from last season. Any injuries will absolutely kill us, as we would be right back to McTominay starting games, to the detriment of our overall play.

Attack:
Still a huge issue, in my opinion. Rashford, where do you start... His bottom level is disgraceful (always has been), and when he's not in form, he's an active hindrance to the team. If he can find form, at the very least, we will get a reliable goalscorer back, but personally, I think he's far too hot and cold to play for a top team, and a tough decision should have been made to move him on. I'd expect Garnacho and Hojland to kick on further this season, and I think Zikzee could also prove to be a very astute signing who can bring us something very different in the attack. The wild card is Amad, who I am personally tipping to claim that RW starting spot and have a really good season. I'd argue our attack is the one place we actually can handle an injury or two because we have plenty of options; however, unlike in defence, I'm yet to be convinced that our first choice is really good enough. If Garnacho, Amad and Hojland kick on, or Zikzee settles in quickly, then perhaps we will have enough.

Summary - There are too many ifs and buts regarding our attacking players. The likelihood is not all of those positive expectations will occur and we will still be struggling to create and score enough goals as a unit. I'd have loved to see Rashford replaced with an elite (or potentially elite) winger such as Williams, but alas we will have to hope one of our existing players step up.

Conclusion:
There are reasons to be cautiously optimistic. Our young players are supremely talented, and I'd expect Hojland, Amad, Garnacho, Mainoo and now Yoro to all kick on and have better seasons than the last. However, in its current state, there are still massive question marks regarding the overall quality of the squad. Injuries in Midfield and Defence will be catastrophic based on the current squad makeup. I do think we will still sign 1 or 2 extra players, which may change my outlook slightly. Overall, I'd say we are looking at a best-case finish (all players stay fit, we sign a couple of extra players, and young players kick on) of 2nd to 4th in the league. I'd say worst case (repeat injuries, squad stays as it is, young players struggle under those circumstances) 6th to 8th again.

Bruno--Zirkzee--Hojlund carries my main interest going into the new season. Really intrigued to see how that works.

New season optimism.. Arent we all a sucker for that..

Im so optimistic for this United season, especially if we still manage to bring in De Ligt and Ugarte..

But I'm also cautious.. I was getting more and more optimistic for Ajax this season.. Then the new manager - as we neared the first playoff round for EL yesterday - makes some awful decisions and does some statements which don't inspire me with confidence... Whereafter we beat Vojvodina just barely with a late 1-0... My new season optimism for Ajax disappeared completely in a couple of hours...

All my hopes up there for United still though! Cant wait for the start of the PL (and the Community Shield!)

Can’t wait for the start of the new season! Always look forward to it.

IF we can avoid the same injury crisis in defence then we will do much better this year and can see us finishing a good third. I just hope we finally start to see a cohesive team week in week out and I think INEOS will demand that, they’ll not allow the same rubbish as last season.

We have a strong first 11, we need a new CDM as we can’t rely on Casemiro any more and we could do with shifting some bench players and replacing with stronger players.

………………………………………..Onana (Vitek)
Dalot (AWB)…Yoro (Lindelof)….Martinez (Maguire)…Shaw (Malacia)
…………………..…CDM (Casemiro)…….Mainoo (McTominay)
…………….…………………………Bruno (Mount)
Amad (Antony)…………...Hojlund (Zirkzee)………..Garnacho (Rashford)

We 100% need a CDM, if we can move on any more players then a RB, LB, CB, CDM/CM, CF would be nice as well!
Relatively weak midfield currently.

The first XI:

Onana
Dalot Yoro Martinez Shaw
Casemiro Mainoo
Bruno
Hojilund will be number one unless we sign Toney which isn’t likely. I hope either casemeiro gets back to his best or we have a replacement. I worry he’s finished, I’d like to be wrong. We will get double pl figures from Hojilund this season and more from Gernacho and Mainoo. Who knows if Rashford and Bruno have the season of their lives. Surely it’s Rashford final if he doesn’t improve.

Hojilund will be number one unless we sign Toney which isn’t likely. I hope either casemeiro gets back to his best or we have a replacement. I worry he’s finished, I’d like to be wrong. We will get double pl figures from Hojilund this season and more from Gernacho and Mainoo. Who knows if Rashford and Bruno have the season of their lives. Surely it’s Rashford final if he doesn’t improve.

You don't know that.

You don't know that.
It's a relatively safe bet. Zirkzee doesn't score many goals and has to adapt to the Prem and at best I see him just rotating with Hojlund and providing competition to each other.

I reckon it’s a safe bet since he’s one of 3 ‘unsellable’ players.

It's a safe bet he starts the first two games or something like that but absolutely not a safe bet that Hojlund is our first choice before Zirkzee, why would it?

It's a relatively safe bet. Zirkzee doesn't score many goals and has to adapt to the Prem and at best I see him just rotating with Hojlund and providing competition to each other.
Hojlund doesn't score many either.

I always start the season optimistic, even if a manager has underperformed the previous season there's always a chance to turn it around with new ideas and approaches.

We've a new coaching team in and I've no doubt we'll bring in at least one other midfielder.

We might only be aiming for top 4 but the squad is young and full of exciting players so plenty to enjoy. If we still look shit after the first handful of games then I'm sure my hope will come crashing down.

Hence the first paragraph? We won’t setup the same way when everyone is back, surely you understand that point?
We'll see, man. Last season change of tactic was not purely because players were unavailable.

Hence, i want to see early games first before getting optimist.

Depends on what version of ETH is present. He's started every season with a different dynamic but has stilled failed to pry the team away from the counter-attacking DNA that has been engrained from the likes of Jose / Ole's respective tenures.

The advanced double eight system didn't work last season between Mount, Bruno and Casemiro. Small sample size to go off given injuries but the team was out of sorts against Wolves being exposed in the transition. If only Ugarte is purchased the team will suffer under the same circumstances', Mainoo similar to Pogba shouldn't be playing a pivot just because he has composure in the midfield, his strength's are more profound beyond the halfway line.

So midfield still lacks balance, if it's a double pivot it would need two natural players screening the defence which would cause a decision to be made on who plays further forward between Bruno / Mainoo. The only other option I would like to see the manager try is a flat three midfield. This however would mean purchasing another individual in addition to Ugarte but clearly the club lack the finances to make it palatable.

Additionally, with three in the middle the team could play a diamond with two strikers (4-1-3-2) the same structure Madrid used to incorporate Tchouameni, Bellingham, Kroos and Valverde. That template is comparable with the integration of Bruno, Mainoo, Casemiro and Ugarte for instance.

I think that the club is making changes that are long overdue and should improve our fortunes on the pitch in the years ahead. The changes will take some time to make an impact, though, and people should be patient and think a few seasons ahead rather than worrying too much about our competitiveness (or lack thereof) in the forthcoming season.

TBH I’m looking forward to seeing how Leny and Josh settle in, plus the other young lads who proved themselves last year - and Mount of course. Not looking forward to seeing more of the same chaos ball though, nor injuries stacking up. We have to show progress in the first half a dozen games IMO, and that includes a statement of intent to play a more fluid, attacking style.

Definitely had some after first two signings, however it will drop significantly without a midfielder signed

Hojlund doesn't score many either.
You're in for a big surprise if you think Zirkzee will outscore Hojlund...

Hojlund scored 16 goals in his first season here, aged 20/21. The hell do you want from him :lol:

If we don't sign any new center midfielders I'd say sixth and possibly get fourth, if we get Ugarte and one more center midfielder anything is possible. I'd be hoping comfortably third with best case scenario some type of title challenge.

Zirkzee going to be a huge step up from Hojlund who isn't good enough, yet.