New season optimism

Last season performances did a number on me, this year I am very cautious, take it game by game, I am expecting top performances from everyone and high standards from Ten Hag

I'm looking forward to watching the likes of Mainoo, Garnacho, Diallo, etc. We have some very exciting young players.

I'm hopeful we play with more of a structure than a majority of last year and also keep more people fit, which would be platform to, at the very least, make our games more fun to watch.

Too many games last season were just enduring watching us get thrashed for 90 minutes while we fail to string a single passage of play together, and then somehow we end up still in the game on 95 minutes. We did this so many times it almost can't have been luck, but by every measurable stat going, that's what it was.

If we're going to be garbage again this year I'm optimistic we can at least do it in a less painful way than this.

I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to the season much, and the myriad of excuses that'll be wheeled out if Ten Hag doesn't succeed.

I feel much more reassured however in the longer term by the steps INEOS have made bringing in competent football people at every level of the club.

We might not get there in the shorter term, but the longer term looks a lot brighter to me than it did at the start of last season.

There are no excuses now for Ten Hag, and I say that as someone who remained Ten Hag in.

If we bring in a midfielder before the window shuts then he has been backed to the hilt and will be expected to perform. A poor first couple of months to the season and he should and will be sacked.

Just sat watching Beth on UnitedStand and her guest, who I believe is a regular, is going through a few players with question marks

Lindelof - yeah he’s a good player. Underrated. Doesn’t want him to leave

Sancho - really likes Sancho. Doesn’t want him to leave

McT - loves McT. Doesn’t want him to leave

Dan James was a good player. Perhaps better than Sancho. Didn’t want to leave

I find it staggering people can even have these opinions. I mean perhaps forgiven for 1 of the above but as a collective 4 opinions they’re pretty hellish

Just in!!…Pellistri is class and brilliant at right back

Switched off….i canna take the strain

I am cautiously optimistic, but that's the nature of being an old fan I suppose. I do think it may take some time to bed in the new players (whenever they are actually fit to play) and I'd give ETH the season regardless but I really want to see us playing better and not conceding soft goals. I do not want calls for his head to start off and find ourselves appointing Gareth mid-season. Be nice to have fewer injuries too....

Just sat watching Beth on UnitedStand and her guest, who I believe is a regular, is going through a few players with question marks

Lindelof - yeah he’s a good player. Underrated. Doesn’t want him to leave

Sancho - really likes Sancho. Doesn’t want him to leave

McT - loves McT. Doesn’t want him to leave

Dan James was a good player. Perhaps better than Sancho. Didn’t want to leave

I find it staggering people can even have these opinions. I mean perhaps forgiven for 1 of the above but as a collective 4 opinions they’re pretty hellish

Just in!!…Pellistri is class and brilliant at right back

Switched off….i canna take the strain

That's Ricky he's loves the British players and always will hammer the likes of Bruno

Excited to see us again. Hopefully, we can establish more control against the likes of Fulham and not be so open at the back. Pretty optimistic we will see changes for the better this season.

Excited to see us again. Hopefully, we can establish more control against the likes of Fulham and not be so open at the back. Pretty optimistic we will see changes for the better this season.

Frustrating we couldn't get Ugarte done for the first game,hopefully we can get through this and agree deal before Brighton.

Frustrating we couldn't get Ugarte done for the first game,hopefully we can get through this and agree deal before Brighton.

Agree, but then again, Casemiro can hopefully regain some form and hold his own against the likes of Fulham. But as you say, hopefully the deal for Ugarte comes soon.

I am very excited for this season after watching that. With all of the additions that we have to come into the squad, we will be quality. Just by adding Luke Shaw in at LB we will instantly be so much better than we were today. I am a big fan of Diego Dalot but he offers nothing going forward when playing on the left.

But then you have De Ligt starting instead of Harry; Rasmus (or Zirk) starting over Mason Mount; Garnacho starting over Rashford; and possibly Ugarte starting over Casemiro! That is quite an upgrade in quality across the pitch. We are going to be salty.

Its unfortunate that one position is still dreadful, but even with that albatross I think we will finish in the Top 4.

I’m actually a bit less optimistic after that game. I’m glad we got over the line but a few throwbacks to last season at times tonight. Early days though and hopefully we find a better groove in the coming weeks.

I’m actually a bit less optimistic after that game. I’m glad we got over the line but a few throwbacks to last season at times tonight. Early days though and hopefully we find a better groove in the coming weeks.
There were a few, you're correct, and a better team would punish some of those mistakes (lol cheers for that, Andreas!!), there was also long periods of complete control which we didn't often see last year.

And just with the upgrade in personnel that is yet to come, we will be ok my friend! Join me in the pool of optimism!

There were a few, you're correct, and a better team would punish some of those mistakes (lol cheers for that, Andreas!!), there was also long periods of complete control which we didn't often see last year.

And just with the upgrade in personnel that is yet to come, we will be ok my friend! Join me in the pool of optimism!
"Pool of optimism"? Whatever, I'm feeling good!

Some squad united have assembled.

Best debt I've seen in years. Some amount of class. Hopefully they galvanize quickly. I suppose as a youth player you can look at the chances given to Rashford, mcTominay, Evans & Mainoo.

Not sure what to think of that in terms of expectations and beyond being pleased with the win. When I look at the squad it looks pretty good, especially if another midfielder comes in, but I don't really know what the best 11 is/would be though.

The Europa League could actually be fun to watch this year with the competition for places and squad depth.

Our next 5 games

Brighton (A)
Liverpool (H)
Southampton (A)
Palace (A)
Spurs (H)

On paper, all of those games are winnable. Just imagine being 18 points from 18 after 6 games.

Being realistic though, if we can get 10 points from those fixtures, which is doable, then I'd be happy.

Our next 5 games

Brighton (A)
Liverpool (H)
Southampton (A)
Palace (A)
Spurs (H)

On paper, all of those games are winnable. Just imagine being 18 points from 18 after 6 games.

Being realistic though, if we can get 10 points from those fixtures, which is doable, then I'd be happy.
We lost 3 of those, last season. We traditionally find Southampton (a) tough and Liverpool….? 18 pts from that is not just optimistic.

Hopefully move us closer to a possession attacking based style of football that enables us to be a regular top 4 and eventually title challengers

Our next 5 games

Brighton (A)
Liverpool (H)
Southampton (A)
Palace (A)
Spurs (H)

Are you having a laugh? Even on paper all those games are not winnable.

Ok now I'm cautiously optimistic. Get Ugarte in and we will have a decent pool of midfielders, and I'll be very optimistic!
I think we will wait until the last day of the window then pay PSG what they want. They know we are desperate and know we will pay up eventually.

2 mid table clubs, 1 relegation fodder and home to Spurs and Liverpool. Compared to our opening fixtures last season this is a doddle.

10 points feels like a realistic aim.

2 mid table clubs, 1 relegation fodder and home to Spurs and Liverpool. Compared to our opening fixtures last season this is a doddle.

10 points feels like a realistic aim.
I hope you are right

Had the same thought.

By his logic, we could win all 38 games this season. They're all winnable.

He does adjust it with his later paragraph on what's realistic. But still, that's rich.

I am optimistic but also realistic.

I think the start of the season will not be great. Simply due to the factor of too many new players and settling in. Also doesn't help that not all players came together at the same time due to euros etc. late signings will add to this in my opinion.

I think we will see improvement over the middle part of the season and hopefully be in full swing in the last part.

I think patience will be key to this season. I think last season needs to be forgotten to a degree with ETH. Largely again due to how many new players we have and the team settling.

I expect some calls for ETH to be sacked first bad result. But I think context needs to be applied.

I think the time for excuses is over with all the in-comings so far and a likely CM addition before the window closes. The club has provided ETH every tool needed in the last three seasons to develop an exciting and successful side and he needs to come through on it. Also, Chelsea are in a turmoil, Liverpool lost an iconic manager and have someone new from the Dutch league & Spurs are Spurs. Given everything, anything less than a top 3 finish would be a disappointment for me.

I am optimistic that we are going to play better football than last season's mind-numbingly boring football and finish in the top 3. Cup runs are a bonus for me. Though a Europa run would be nice to complement a solid premier league season.

Yup we aren't winning the league. Hopefully with Casemiro replaced and Amad starting we can get a good cup run in but our key players and the coach aren't good enough.

3 points in 3 game is fair for ETH. Optimism is good - we’ve got the structure and squad is solid. Move on the manager and we should be fighting for top4 still