New season optimism

Good post, the optimism is high right now.

Even my most bitterest of Bertie mates are saying it looks like we've finally sorted our shit out.

Sadly I’m going to have to agree with the Bertie above; we’re doing good things but we’re probably not going to see the benefit of it next season.

But on the plus side; we were incredibly unlucky with injuries last year, Liverpool are starting again, and most of our main rivals are still the same clubs with the same flaws. So I’m confident we can get a top 4 spot, and hopefully the players we’ve brought in/bring in, effect a positive change to the playing style.

Last edited:
As an Eric out advocate (now temporarily quiet on that subject) I am pleased to see the way we are now operating, if Eric fails again I don't want there to be excuses to hide behind (despite my opinion of him based on the last 18 months I sincerely hope he succeeds), irrespective of Eric, looks like we have people identifying and signing players that make sense under any manager, addressing one of the problems we have had since SAF, players that were bought by a manager not fancied by the incoming manager

My view of things is that it's better to look at the glass half full than half empty. We have good reasons to be optimistic but the glass-half-empty crowd have a case that we'll likely struggle to make top four. For me the minimum goals this seasons are making top four, making it to the SF of the EL and solid runs in the domestic cups, which I believe are achievable.

A long way to go in this window still. It remains to be seen if we lose any more important players.

Signings seem promising, though clearly more long term than immediate impact types.

4. Surely injuries can't be as bad as last season. If we have Shaw, Martinez, Mount and others fitter it gives us a much better team and squad.

Am I being too optimistic or is their a lot of cause for optimism?

It would be insane to have as many injuries as we had last season. So not optimistic there. It should be a given.

Hope springs eternal. This season will start with good vibes and may the glass always be half full.

Before the FA Cup final I said to a mate that if United started next season with ETH in charge it probably wouldn't bother to watch every match. I always watch every match. But I was so down about everything... I have to say that the way this summer has progressed... I will 100% be watching every match. My excitement and optimism are growing by the day. And it isn't even really about where we will finish in the table but entirely about being excited to see a more entertaining product on the pitch.

I am reserving my excitement until I see genuine improvements on the pitch.
Last season we'd start virtually every game as the underdog which is insane when you think about it.
Our midfield would cost 10x our opponent's midfield and they'd play us off the park.
We had to rely on individual brilliance, rather than a system, to win games.

I think the job of MUFC manager is too big for ETH, but we'll see.
8th place should've got him fired.

Leaving City and Liverpool out of it you have a great deal to make up on Arsenal who will themselves improve their squad from last season.
Your business so far looks decent and you now have some shrewd operators behind the scenes but it may take another couple of years before you really can challenge for top honours and that is assuming you continue to make more good calls than bad ones.

I hear what you are saying.
The issue is that a decent Summer transfer window doesn't mean anything if we can't transfer that to getting results on the pitch.
And regarding "challenging for top honours": I think you mean the premier league and CL - I think most on this board would find it acceptable if we could finish top 3 and get to the QL of the CL. The problem is that we finished last season in 8th and were dreadful in Europe. IMO, we are at least 5 years before we can challenge for the league.

I hear what you are saying.
The issue is that a decent Summer transfer window doesn't mean anything if we can't transfer that to getting results on the pitch.
And regarding "challenging for top honours": I think you mean the premier league and CL - I think most on this board would find it acceptable if we could finish top 3 and get to the QL of the CL. The problem is that we finished last season in 8th and were dreadful in Europe. IMO, we are at least 5 years before we can challenge for the league.
Agreed. The poster who prompted my comment batted Liverpool aside and thought that it was a race between United and Arsenal for the PL (City will of course be in NW Counties League by then, but that's for another thread).
While I respect the business done in and out as you say it would probably be foolish to expect too much too soon but it seems like the ship is finally turning.

I’m optimistic. I think when the season starts, the squad will have been added to yet further and there’s a real feeling of positive change and a genuine sense that a decade of misery is coming to an end.
INEOS to be fair are not messing about. The team we have in place will not make the same mistakes their predecessors made and we won’t be made fools off on and off the pitch.
I’m sure that unless City are brought to justice, they’ll be given the title again and Arsenal will finish second, but I think we can take a top 4 spot and I really want to be entertained. We’ve all missed that I’m sure. I also want to see an end to all those heavy and embarrassing defeats. They hurt, but what hurts the most is that we became desensitised to them.

So it’s gonna be good I reckon so buckle up!!

I’m optimistic but to be honest United generally have been winning the transfer window since 2014 (signing Juan Mata in January).

I remember Van Gaal’s first window and genuinely thought we were winning the league that year.

I’m excited but I am cautious. Also I’m not too convinced by Hag. Hopefully he can turn things around now he has the backing of a good footballing structure behind him. But Rome wasn’t built in a day.

The squad is thin/poor in various areas. This is going to take longer than one summer before we are contending for the league.

But I expect top 4 next season is the goal, it not Ten Hag will be gone I would've thought.

We need about 4 additional, new players to secure UCL next season I believe. 2 midfielders, CB and a fullback(not sure left or right, probably left back). Shaw's and Martinez's fitness is a big issue(I don't trust them at all at this point, especially Shaw). Midfield is all over the place. It can neither shield the defense or keep the ball properly, at this particular point in time. There's still some deadwood that it'll take time to get rid.

We're miles away from competing for the league this upcoming season(and probably will be the season after as well).

Sir Jim has convinced me that he's competent, but patience is required - don't get carried away, please.

If he keeps playing Mount in central midfield all through pre season again I will start the season with 0% optomism

I wouldn't be too optimistic. We were horrendous for all of last season and I don't see much changing with how ETH sets us up.

The age profile of the squad is gonna be young. This is clearly a long term building situation. Fascinated to see how it plays out but I’d say we could see some super stuff and painful steps back at times.

Sadly I’m going to have to agree with the Bertie above; we’re doing good things but we’re probably not going to see the benefit of it next season.

But on the plus side; we were incredibly unlucky with injuries last year, Liverpool are starting again, and most of our main rivals are still the same clubs with the same flaws. So I’m confident we can get a top 4 spot, and hopefully the players we’ve brought in/bring in, effect a positive change to the playing style.
I am not confident we can get top 4. We were terrible last season and have so far signed two young talents who might need plenty of time. CDM is still unresolved and Ugarte is not world class. Höjlund and Rashford really need to improve but I doubt they will. Too much money was wasted on Antony, Casemiro and Mount.

Yes, I am optimistic. Not expecting to win the PL this season, that would be crazy. But I do expect a massive improvement on last season. Watching the friendly v Rangers tonight I thought showed a clear change in direction. If it’s the Wilcox blueprint for style of play I’m not sure, but we seemed to have forgotten about this ‘best transitional team’ (whatever that means) to actually playing on the front foot again, and driving the whole team forward. Mount played a huge part in that. I’d love it if the Wilcox strategy is the old SAF mantra of - we’ll just score more than you. Exciting times ahead at OT I think.

I have belief at least that we have competent people in charge. That’s the biggest thing for me.

I’m optimistic that I can see the very first buds of a future title challenging squad with the likes of Mainoo, Yoro & Garnacho

But short term It’ll be more anguish I think. Still too many passengers who’ll be tough to shift.

And I’m sorry but Ten Hag isn’t still going to be the manager in 12 months time. So there’s all that to come

It is midfield for me. ETH needs to get the balance right when out of possession. If we concede as many chances as we did last year then we are done.

Reactions: Solius
It's our year!

No doubt.

If he keeps playing Mount in central midfield all through pre season again I will start the season with 0% optomism
He played as the most advanced of a midfield 3 today no? Exactly where he's meant to be played.

The issue is when Bruno's back, Mount needs to get back on the bench. Which is why it was such an inefficient use of funds to buy him in the first place.

Been here plenty of times before to now know better.

Ultimately we've signed a forward with a total of 30 career goals and an 18 year old CB.

It's nowhere near enough to get too excited about. But I absolutely will get far too optimistic still. That's just football for you.

I'm optimistic about the long term with the young players and the people INEOS have put in charge. Not sure about this season though, we'll have to see it goes.

We were miles off top 4 level and have the same manager and pretty much the same starting line up that were fortunate to finish 8th last season.

I'd be more optimistic with a couple of ready made starters improving the line up. Hopefully that's still to come if we can somehow offload a couple of high earners.

Always optimistic, I'm hoping for a better start to the season. Last seasons first game Vs wolves was just devastating. They could've and should've had 3 or 4

We were miles off top 4 level and have the same manager and pretty much the same starting line up that were fortunate to finish 8th last season.

I'd be more optimistic with a couple of ready made starters improving the line up. Hopefully that's still to come if we can somehow offload a couple of high earners.
Lets see if last season was a freak one. Shaw, Martinez, Diallo missing most of the time and most of us have them as preferred starters. Hojlund had no backup. Casemiro was toast. Onana bedding into the league. We desperately need a solid defensive mid to replace him. This could be the difference as to what we can achieve in this season.

Would like we would start the season with:

Onana
Dalot, Yoro/DeLigt, Martinez, Shaw
Bruno, New DM, Mainoo
Amad, Hojlund/Zirkzee, Garnacho

With few more reinforcements and less injuries ETH will have to deliver other wise someone else will be tasked to do it pretty soon I think.

I am slightly optimistic as we seem to finally have a setup that is bringing in players that will improve the team with young hungry players. TH has also been given a new back room of coaches and medical staff.
Now he needs to build a team that plays good attacking football, rather than the shit we were mainly served up last year.
This is where we will find out if he is a top manager or not.

Lets see if last season was a freak one. Shaw, Martinez, Diallo missing most of the time and most of us have them as preferred starters. Hojlund had no backup. Casemiro was toast. Onana bedding into the league. We desperately need a solid defensive mid to replace him. This could be the difference as to what we can achieve in this season.

Would like we would start the season with:

Onana
Dalot, Yoro/DeLigt, Martinez, Shaw
Bruno, New DM, Mainoo
Amad, Hojlund/Zirkzee, Garnacho

With few more reinforcements and less injuries ETH will have to deliver other wise someone else will be tasked to do it pretty soon I think.
Yeah the DM position is key if we're going to see a significant change in performances. I think we're stuck with Casemiro unfortunately. Ideally I'd like to see a more experienced striker but hopefully we see improvement from the younger players too.

Want to see the early games if EtH still insist on his suicidal stupid tactic, or he's learned something from last season.

If we sign who we're linked with. One of Zubimendi/Ugarte, De Ligt and Rabiot. I'll be very optimistic come the new season. If we can keep everyone fit I wouldn't be surprised if we challenge.

Currently this is how the squad* is looking...being realistic at best it's a Top 4 challenger IF the starting 11 can stay fit for most games.

But that midfield is still one that is very much allergic to possession based football, so anyone expecting EtH to completely revolutionise they way the team plays should prepare themselves to be disappointed.

Luckily the team was so bad last season that it would be some achievement to be worst this season.

-----------------Hojlund
----------------(Zirkzee)
Rashford----------------Garnacho
(Sancho)------------------(Amad)
------------------Bruno
-----------------(Mount)
-----Mainoo-------------Casemiro
----(Eriksen)------------(McTom)

Shaw----Martinez------Yoro------Dalot
( ??? )---(Lindelof)-(Maguire)-(AWB)
-------------(Evans)

*Still plenty of time to make additions to the squad.

If I look back and compare, the last time I felt less stoked going into a new season, Jose was manager. But who knows, maybe it'll be good.

There are definitely things that make me think that the future will be brighter. The start of some changes at the club at a higher level and hints of changes too the on-field side too.

So far, the actual playing staff changes are minimal though, with most of the deadwood staying and only a couple of potentially exciting signings that are likely to need a good amount of time.

I do really like the look of both of the new signings though, and the way these transfers were done gives me a lot of hope.

I'm really trying not to be negative because I do think we're taking some great steps forwards but I worry that keeping Antony and Rashford as two of our main attacking options will cost us. I also still think that no real improvement can happen on the pitch until the manager gets sacked, which I expect to happen this coming season. I've not seen anything to make me think that he's learned anything from last season sadly, though I'd love to be wrong!

I am feeling a bit flat at the moment about upcoming season.This might be because lack of transfer activities and also no friendlies till Arsenal.

But I am sure I will get the optimism bug as soon as we have a decent result

Want to see the early games if EtH still insist on his suicidal stupid tactic, or he's learned something from last season.
I keep seeing this but surely it will be a case of players being back who can play possession, not ETH choosing to play the direct football from last season?

Some people seem so set on being right that this manager isn’t good, if we do well are you going to praise Ineos for coaching and tactics or something?